Wedding Woes

Thursday

OMG at this day already.

Plan for today:

5:45 get up/shower/dress/etc.

6:15 get the kids up/dressed/fed/etc.

7:00 drive Wooz to school, drop DS at daycare

8:00 leave for my mom's with two frozen meals and a Tupperware of homemade applesauce (since she couldn't go apple picking this year, and also isn't allowed to eat raw fruits and veggies)

9:30 arrive at my mom's

10:00 appointment with surgeon re: double mastectomy

11:00/11:30 lunch with mom

2:00/3:00 arrive back home, run errands, straighten up, start a new batch of homemade applesauce, etc.  Pick the kids up, play, homework, dinner, reading...

Actual today:

5:36 text from my mom; she is running a 101.2 fever and is supposed to call her oncologist for anything >100.  Surgeon appointment is on standby because she may be on house arrest until her fever breaks and her white count improves.

5:45 get up/shower/dress/etc.

6:07 wake Wooz up, break the news that I can't drive her after all and we need to get dressed for the bus stop; much crying about "but you saaaaaaid you would drive meeeeeeee!" 

6:08 by some miracle, DS is up on his own and gets dressed without a fight

6:30 put Wooz on the bus

6:48 text from my mom re: whether she should page her onocologist; I say if she doesn't feel it's an emergency, I would probably wait for the office to open (8:00)

7:07 leave for work, two accidents en route

7:40 arrive at work

8:02 phone rings; I think it's my mom with news about whether her oncologist has grounded her and what we are going to do today, but it is DH calling from the auto shop.  After he dropped DS, he got on the interstate and smoke started coming out from under the hood.  He pulled off and managed to make it to a random Meineke, who found that the radiator is cracked on the Honda.  They're checking it out now, to see if anything else needs to done.  Minimum $500, more if the head gasket etc. needs work.  At least DS was already at DC.

8:20 onward: ???

Also, being at work when you planned to be off sucks.  I can't cancel my PTO today until I hear back from my mom, who is waiting on her oncologist, so I'm just in this weird limbo at the moment.  Three people have already said "I thought you were off today?"  Yeah, me too.

I hope my mom is okay.  Probably just some random bug.  Chemo is bad for cancer cells (yay), but not so kind to your white blood cells (boo). 

Update: just got a text from my mom asking me to come anyway.  Adios, WW.

Re: Thursday

• ::vibes:: for your mama!  Boo to car troubles!

SSDD around here.  Just tired.  Also, I wish DH would stop playing music because it's interfering with my podcast and I hate hearing two different things at once.  It gives me brain/hearing overload. 
  • Hope your mom feels better!

I had dinner with my best friend last night...yay. I haven't been drinking enough water for the past couple weeks so 3 beers= groggy headache...boo. 

Todays a sad day for me. A coworker of mine is terminal and "retiring" tomorrow. We're having an "appreciation luncheon" for him today but of course all of this is code words for what's really going on. Buying a card to go with his gift was damn near impossible so I ended up with a girl sitting on a donkey that says "just sitting around on my ass, thinking about you."
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2016
    Oh and at 1:30a, I heard a noise.  I went down to check things out and saw our umbrella was not in our table (it was storming), but I thought DH had removed it.  This morning, I saw it in our side yard, so obviously the noise I heard was it being picked up and blown into the yard.  To my amazement, there was no damage to the umbrella or the table.  
  • So exhausted. Was at work watching the debate until 11 last night and I'm back in the office already. And I have to find a way to make sense out of that disaster for students on a few hours of sleep. 

Good luck @Heffalump hope everything is okay with your mom! And @kimmiinthemitten card shopping is the worst. I think they should all say "emotions are hard, and I'm bad at them, but want to say something helpful". 
  • Healthy vibes for your mom Heffalump!

Not much new here today.  It's Thursday, so only one more day until the weekend and its a jeans day tomorrow.  So that's a bonus.

H & I switched cars for the day and I'm taking it to get inspected at lunch.  Fingers crossed it passes!  They stopped safety inspections, so thankfully the duct taped side view mirror won't be an automatic fail right now!  And its a convertible and we are having some gorgeous weather, so that will make for a fun ride out to the inspection station!  Then I will buy some pizza for lunch because I love pizza and so does my baby! LOL!

• @Heffalump  what a morning! Jeez!

@mrsconn23  I have the same thing. It usually bothers me when someone is talking and there's tv/radio/etc playing in background. I usually go "whoa whoa whoa, one thing at a time because I can't hear either of this"
    And yet my mum and I can have overlapping conversations and I understand what she says.

@kimmiinthemitten  at least you got a card? Sometimes trying to find a card is irritating. Like trying to find a 1st anniversary card for my H - he's not the mushy kind, so that's hard. When in doubt, go with funny. {I found a magical mix of funny AND sentimental!}

@charlotte989875  good luck on that! I hear the debate was .... a lot {best way to explain lol}

So last night not much. Ended up stopping at a mall near new place. I have photos to pick up but I missed the closing time, so I'll just go later this week.
    Ran into friend of H and myself, he lives near by and we chatted for a bit.

Also I found cute ankle boots! They were on sale, buy one get one $20 {original price $40} I got 2. Taupe and black. I'll post a photo likely tomorrow since I can't post photos from work. {booo blockers!}
    Ended up timing myself walking home from the mall because I just missed the bus, which is good because google said 10mins and idk if maybe I was more tired but it took me almost 20mins lol

Didn't do much. Tidied up a bit. H worked late last night and is likely working late rest of this week and the weekend. I asked him that this weekend we bring a bookshelf upstairs, so that way if he's working I can be busy and not around him bothering him.

Tonight I'm thinking living room and garage stuff. It's recycling/garbage day and it's cardboard - soooo much stuff taken out of the garage lol Now we'll be able to use the bins as they're suppose to be used ;)
  • I hope all goes well with your mom Heffa! You've had quite a day already :(

My allergies are killing me today. I seriously can't stop sneezing. Thank you, ragweed and drought. We're supposed to get some rain later. I hope it actually happens.

Tomorrow is DH's last day at home :( I'm trying not to focus on that all day today but so far it isn't working.

Weird things going on at work this week. A lady in my office has kidney disease and is trying to get a transplant. She is just barely above the level of kidney function that calls for dialysis. She also just found out that she may have emphysema. My boss, being the royal arsehole that he is is intentionally doing things to try to get her to quit because he's mad that she has to go to the doctor a lot (he has actually verbalized this to some of us in the office). His plan is to move her to a position that has way less pay in hopes that she'll get mad and quit. She doesn't know this yet. That's wrong, right? Please tell me it is.

• This job is kicking my ass.  Mentally and physically.  It's so much more demanding than my old desk job (which is a huge bonus), but I am struggling with the exhaustion that comes from the constant go-ness.  6AM feels just as bad as 4AM right now.  Grr.

Today, I went out to do some prep work for a sample I need to get this afternoon, and I talked to some of the individuals who will be doing the work, and I thought I was asking all the right questions, but when I came back to the office, my co-worker (who is technically my supervisor... okay, there's no "technically" about it), was like, "Well, I really wanted you to get some information about A, B, and C."

And I was like, wth?  That was not on my list of questions that I went over with you before I left.  But, obviously, he assumed it would be a natural question for me to ask.  Which it probably will be.  When I've been doing this for a little longer than 4 days.

So I felt dumb, because after he explained it, it should have been a natural question to ask.  Hindsight is always 20/20.

Sigh.  I NEED TO CLIMB THIS MOUNTAIN FASTER.

H's aunt is swinging by tonight to have a visit.  I am equal parts happy to see her and wishing she would just not.  I love her, but I'm feeling overwhelmed enough that I just want to be left alone.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I hope all goes well with your mom Heffa! You've had quite a day already :(

My allergies are killing me today. I seriously can't stop sneezing. Thank you, ragweed and drought. We're supposed to get some rain later. I hope it actually happens.

Tomorrow is DH's last day at home :( I'm trying not to focus on that all day today but so far it isn't working.

Weird things going on at work this week. A lady in my office has kidney disease and is trying to get a transplant. She is just barely above the level of kidney function that calls for dialysis. She also just found out that she may have emphysema. My boss, being the royal arsehole that he is is intentionally doing things to try to get her to quit because he's mad that she has to go to the doctor a lot (he has actually verbalized this to some of us in the office). His plan is to move her to a position that has way less pay in hopes that she'll get mad and quit. She doesn't know this yet. That's wrong, right? Please tell me it is.

Same, but the weather site doesn't say about allergens in the air :( You'd swear I had a cold {although .... could be both}
  • Weird things going on at work this week. A lady in my office has kidney disease and is trying to get a transplant. She is just barely above the level of kidney function that calls for dialysis. She also just found out that she may have emphysema. My boss, being the royal arsehole that he is is intentionally doing things to try to get her to quit because he's mad that she has to go to the doctor a lot (he has actually verbalized this to some of us in the office). His plan is to move her to a position that has way less pay in hopes that she'll get mad and quit. She doesn't know this yet. That's wrong, right? Please tell me it is.

Yes, it's wrong and I'd go to HR about what he's said. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    Heffalump said:

hugs

Hope your mom feels better soon.

All but the bulldog's ottoman has been moved over.  (yep, bulldog needs an ottoman to get up on the bed.  For the past 3 nights I've had to pick his 60+lbs butt up/down).     98% of the house is setup and/or has a new home.  It feels good.

Today's plan was to start cleaning the old place.  It has 3 floors and I was going to do one floor a day, as I hate deep cleaning and have the time to spread it out.  Especially since I'm not working.  

Well the carpet cleaners called and are coming at 10:30. (this is from the flood).   Woohoo.  I get to use that as an excuse not to have to go over there today.  You know, to stay out of their way and let the carpets dry.  Maybe I will give it 2 days to dry, umm?  

DH is working today/tonight.  So my day day will consist of me walking 5+ miles and then becoming a couch potato.  Watching stupid stuff he will not "let" me watch with him.     Maybe I will pick up some wine too. 

:smile:        

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • TFB - yeah that is illegal of your boss to do, especially since he isn't hiding the fact because it is due to her current health issues.  If it were performance based, he would be allowed to do it.  I'd make some notes of when he said such things.  If I were close with co-worker, I would tell her.  If you aren't but your boss is already a sleeze, is there a corporate office or anyone above him?  Perhaps an anonymous email of all his illegal doings?

If you get a new job, I would report him to the feds as a whistleblower.  You work in mortgages, right?  That is such a hugely regulated industry and they reward whistleblowers too.

• edited October 2016

@DrillSergeantCat @OliveOilsMom unfortunately he also acts as HR. We don't have anyone who is officially given that title so he is basically the head honcho. There is nobody over him. Which is just so ridiculous to me, but it's a very small company. I do definitely plan on reporting him to the feds if/when I get a new job unless my coworker beats me to it. I'm keeping track of everything he's done for sure and hoping I can get out of here sooner rather than later!

ETA words

• @thefanciestbeckler  is there an person that could step in and help? Where I live there is something called the labour board and when things in a business are not okay, people contact them and there's an investigation.
  • @thefanciestbeckler I'd keep notes of every time he says stuff like that on top of all the other illegal stuff he's doing and give the items about the other employee to her.
  • Good call on that @DrillSergeantCat I will definitely do that.

@MissKittyDanger yes, in this case I can report it to the CFPB since I work in the mortgage business. They regulate financial institutions in the US and do audits, etc. I am looking into doing that. There's a good chance that they will shut this place down if they do an investigation.

• I'm trying to organize all of K's stuff.  However, I'm having to wait on 3 pieces from Amazon to get one project finished.  And I bought the wrong screws for one project.  And I need some more drywall anchors.  And my pickup truck connection might not be able to come Friday/Saturday as planned (through no fault of his own, I'm not mad at all, it's just inconvenient.  At least I'm not working, I guess.

I'm seriously considering just starting to read a new book from the library (a bio of the man who created the lobotomy) and drinking wine.  Every box I unload just seems to make a bigger mess.

Hey, the bathroom is clean!
  • I picked Max up at preschool.  He looked out of sorts, but the teachers said he had a great day.  We got home and he didn't want to eat lunch and was looking a little flushed, but no fever.  10 minutes later he was passed out on the couch.  He woke up for a few minutes and is now asleep on the floor.  This may be the first time this kid has been sick.

Bragplaint: all my clothes are too big.  Even stuff I bought a month ago.  I have one pair of jeans that are like the Traveling Pants though.  They've fit me for the past 5 years no matter what (well except pregnancy).
  • Poor Max! :(   YAY for too big pants!  ;) 
  • I love my new landlords.  They are taking $200 of our rent for November because of some minor stuff we fixed and having to coordinate the new toilet installation.    They live out of state and couldn't do it themselves.  Nothing we did was a big deal.  Like at all.  But hey, I will take the discount.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @thefanciestbeckler I hate your boss.  Officially, legitimately, want to kick him in the balls hate.

Please find a new job and report the hell out of him.

@lyndausvi and @VarunaTT I'm confused as to why there's a maybe in regards to wine for both of your days!
  • Aaaannnnddddd I have a cold.

I legit went from "maybe it's allergies" to "I have a fucking sinus cold and everything is congested" in a matter of a few hours. Guhhhh
  • @thefanciestbeckler I hate your boss.  Officially, legitimately, want to kick him in the balls hate.

Please find a new job and report the hell out of him.

@lyndausvi and @VarunaTT I'm confused as to why there's a maybe in regards to wine for both of your days!
    LOL - well we are out right now.  We are one car family and the store wasn't open before DH went to work today.    I might just pick some up at the end of my walk.   Waiting for it to warm up a little.

• @Heffalump hugs for you and your mom! 

H and I finally settled on plans for our 2nd anniversary next week. We are going to Stowe, VT! We are definitely going horseback riding, and to Alchemist brewery to take a tour, and hopefully it doesn't snow like they are currently forecasting because I am not ready for winter weather!

Have any of you been to Stowe? Any must-see places or must-eat restaurants?
    I eat everything - H is allergic to all seafood and a selective allergy to most vegetables...

I legit went from "maybe it's allergies" to "I have a fucking sinus cold and everything is congested" in a matter of a few hours. Guhhhh
    yes, I am just starting to feel the sore throat thing now. But I gotta say, I'm wanting to get that over with now instead of like, right before the wedding weekend.  Bring it germs.  See what you can do to me.  I have to now take the advice I gave ShesSoCold the other day and stock up on some preventatives tonight. 

yes, I am just starting to feel the sore throat thing now. But I gotta say, I'm wanting to get that over with now instead of like, right before the wedding weekend.  Bring it germs.  See what you can do to me.  I have to now take the advice I gave ShesSoCold the other day and stock up on some preventatives tonight. 
    Same. I'm convinced @ShesSoCold  may have passed around her cold lol
  • I slacked at my job today and showed students episodes of the West Wing. They loved it. 
  • I slacked at my job today and showed students episodes of the West Wing. They loved it. 
    FI shows a bunch of them.  There's actually a teaching guide for AP Government teachers that shows what episodes correlate with what sections of the curriculum.

• @kimmiinthemitten - I'm so ashamed right now.   You see I did my walk and stopped by the liquor store.   Picked up a bottle of Mark West, went to the counter.  Yeah, I forgot my wallet.  I remembered my bag, but no money/card.

I guess I wasn't meant to drink wine tonight.

• lyndausvi said:
    @kimmiinthemitten - I'm so ashamed right now.   You see I did my walk and stopped by the liquor store.   Picked up a bottle of Mark West, went to the counter.  Yeah, I forgot my wallet.  I remembered my bag, but no money/card.

I guess I wasn't meant to drink wine tonight.
    Now you extra deserve it though!  Hopefully you have a bottle of some other spirit laying around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards