Wedding Woes

funny travel story - here's your sign

I was in the Philly airport on Saturday, waiting at my gate for boarding to start. For some reason, the gate agents and the ground crew kept triggering the alarm on the door to the jetway. The alarm made a loud buzzing sound and had a strobe. 

The first time the thing went off, the 60-something lady sitting a few seats over started getting crazy - "OH MY GOD!  What IS that? What is happening? My God!!!" (etc.). Waving her arms and all kinds of nonsense. The alarm got triggered a second time, and there was a repeat performance from this lady. 

On the third time, after her "OH MY GOD, WHAT IS THAT?" I turn to her, completely deadpan:

"it's an alarm, ma'am"

She was completely floored - staring at me open mouthed. I was trying not to start cracking up - her expression was priceless. 

She didn't do it a 4th time. 

Re: funny travel story - here's your sign

• Oy.  That is such a relatable story and such an obnoxious experience.  What is it about airports that make people lose their damn minds?
  • mrsconn23 said:
    OMG, people are so annoying in airports. 

When we were going through security in Maui, this lady was asking me 500 questions about going through security...like I'm an expert.  And then as we're getting ourselves back together once we're through, she's blathering on to me and anyone who will listen about how it makes her 'so nervous!'   I wanted to say something like she had nothing to worry about as long as she didn't have a bomb, but since the TSA aren't the joking/sarcastic type, I used my better judgement and just smiled and nodded.  As soon as we were out of earshot, I looked at DH and was all, "She better not be on our flight!"
    OMG, the same thing happened to us when we were flying to Chicago.  Lady, I have two kids and a husband, my plate is full.  Ask the person in the friggin' TSA uniform, not the one saying "Honey, do you have Wooz's boarding pass?  Wooz, STOP STEPPING ON HIS HEELS OR SO HELP ME GOD I WILL [mumble mumble].  Wait, where is DS?!"
  • @*barbie* I respect the ever lovin' hell out of you right now. I'd do the same thing. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    Someone asked me if we had to take our shoes off as we were going through security. No lady, I'm standing here barefoot because I always wanted to know how the airport tile felt. 

I get that some people are first time travellers, but don't understand why they can't ask the people in uniform/read the signs/follow the crowd. I can even see asking an adult travelling alone - but not a parent who is trying to juggle travelling with their kid(s) on top of their own stuff. 

Also re: following the crowd - when did it become a thing to crowd the gate before they announce boarding? or to immediately jump into the aisle of the plane the second that it landed. (I'm not exaggerating - on one of my flights, the flight attendants were yelling at people to sit down until they plane got to the gate, despite clearly announcing that exact thing 5 minutes prior to landing.) I couldn't be a gate agent or flight attendant - the power trip that comes with the little microphone would go to my head. "Everyone take a seat. I'm not boarding a plane until you people sit down. If you're in boarding group 4, you have no business being up my ass right now. WE WILL WAIT ALL NIGHT UNTIL YOU PEOPLE PUT YOUR ASSES IN CHAIRS. STANDING HERE DOES NOT SPEED UP THE BOARDING PROCESS."

When I travel, I go "full nerd".  Socks with slip-on sandals.  Because my feet get cold on a plane, so I want socks.  But I need shoes I can kick on/off at security without any fanfare...or chair, lol...needed.  Barrette is out of my hair, because you know at least the clip is metal.  And I have liquid, prescribed medication.  In a clear plastic baggie, separated out from everything else before it runs through the conveyor.

I fly less than once very couple years.  So If I can have my stuff down to a science, there is no excuse for others, lol.

I've also never understood the RUSH...to get ON the plane.  As long as I have an assigned seat, why would I want to hurry to board myself into a cramped and uncomfortable space.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • *Barbie* said:
    Someone asked me if we had to take our shoes off as we were going through security. No lady, I'm standing here barefoot because I always wanted to know how the airport tile felt. 

I get that some people are first time travellers, but don't understand why they can't ask the people in uniform/read the signs/follow the crowd. I can even see asking an adult travelling alone - but not a parent who is trying to juggle travelling with their kid(s) on top of their own stuff. 

Also re: following the crowd - when did it become a thing to crowd the gate before they announce boarding? or to immediately jump into the aisle of the plane the second that it landed. (I'm not exaggerating - on one of my flights, the flight attendants were yelling at people to sit down until they plane got to the gate, despite clearly announcing that exact thing 5 minutes prior to landing.) I couldn't be a gate agent or flight attendant - the power trip that comes with the little microphone would go to my head. "Everyone take a seat. I'm not boarding a plane until you people sit down. If you're in boarding group 4, you have no business being up my ass right now. WE WILL WAIT ALL NIGHT UNTIL YOU PEOPLE PUT YOUR ASSES IN CHAIRS. STANDING HERE DOES NOT SPEED UP THE BOARDING PROCESS."

When I travel, I go "full nerd".  Socks with slip-on sandals.  Because my feet get cold on a plane, so I want socks.  But I need shoes I can kick on/off at security without any fanfare...or chair, lol...needed.  Barrette is out of my hair, because you know at least the clip is metal.  And I have liquid, prescribed medication.  In a clear plastic baggie, separated out from everything else before it runs through the conveyor.

I fly less than once very couple years.  So If I can have my stuff down to a science, there is no excuse for others, lol.

I've also never understood the RUSH...to get ON the plane.  As long as I have an assigned seat, why would I want to hurry to board myself into a cramped and uncomfortable space.   

Yesssss!  I flew with FI for the first time a few weeks ago and found out that he is one of those people!  He is a frequent flyer for work, so he is certainly not the least bit clueless abut the process.  But for some unfathomable (to me) reason, he was in a super-duper hurry to board.  Dude, the later we get on the plane the less time we have to sit there in the heat before they turn the AC on, being cramped and jostled and generally subjected to an unpleasant environment. The only potential advantage to getting on early is that you can be confident there will be space in your overhead bin, but that is so rarely a problem and I typically put my stuff under the seat anyway and in the unlikely event that you can't find a place for your larger-sized carry on the crew will gate check it for you anyway.
  • *Barbie* said:

Yesssss!  I flew with FI for the first time a few weeks ago and found out that he is one of those people!  He is a frequent flyer for work, so he is certainly not the least bit clueless abut the process.  But for some unfathomable (to me) reason, he was in a super-duper hurry to board.  Dude, the later we get on the plane the less time we have to sit there in the heat before they turn the AC on, being cramped and jostled and generally subjected to an unpleasant environment. The only potential advantage to getting on early is that you can be confident there will be space in your overhead bin, but that is so rarely a problem and I typically put my stuff under the seat anyway and in the unlikely event that you can't find a place for your larger-sized carry on the crew will gate check it for you anyway.
    the overhead bin is the important part to me (if it is an assigned seating situation). Since most places charge for baggage I've seen more people bringing carry-on suitcases, myself included, and there is only so much room -- or at least room around your seat vs having your bag at the back and you are sitting in the front. If I don't have to worry about overhead space then I don't care when I get on
  • The only potential advantage to getting on early is that you can be confident there will be space in your overhead bin, but that is so rarely a problem and I typically put my stuff under the seat anyway and in the unlikely event that you can't find a place for your larger-sized carry on the crew will gate check it for you anyway.
    i2i With @kvruns - it's the overhead bin space... but if you're in Group 4 or 5, you have no business crowding the gate before they even announce preboarding. the crowd in Philly for my last leg of the trip was so bad (at least 40 people standing at the gate entrance) that the pilots and crew were delayed in getting to the plane (which delayed boarding) because they were fighting through the people. 

i usually always bring a carry-on in addition to my purse/camera bag/personal item because i like to be prepared if my bag is lost/i like having swing space for return trip/end up throwing "valuables" and meds in there. We had to have "valet service" on the last leg of my trip to Montreal (like gate checking except they bring your bag to the jetway rather than baggage claim) because the overhead bins were tiny, and it was a pain in the ass taking my meds and camera bag out in the jetway because that stuff wasn't going to be out of my hands. 
  • Ditto the overhead bin issue.   I haven't checked a bag in over a decade aside from the forced gate check on tiny planes with small overhead bins.

I cram my purse in my laptop bag and then take my roller.   I don't want to check it because I'd actually like my luggage to be there when I arrive and most flights I take are not direct.    The last thing I want is to be in the middle of MN without underpants.   So yeah, when I know I may get on next I want to be among the first in my group to board so I have a better chance of getting my bag in the overhead vs. risk being like Gaylord Focker. 
  • I have had to gate check my bag 5 out of the last 6 times I have flown American, and half of the time with Delta.  I'm never any lower on the boarding totem pole than Group 2, but somehow, by the time I get to the breezeway, all the bins are full and I am told I need to check my (in comparison) tiny roller bag.  It is very frustrating.  There are people getting on the plane with roller bags that CLEARLY do not fit in the bin that illustrates the acceptable dimensions of carry-on and personal items.  Many times, I have had to wait several minutes on the plane because some ahole is blocking the aisle trying to force his oversize bag 42 different ways into the overhead bin, when everyone else on the plane knew ages ago it won't fit.

Flying makes me rage-y, because all awareness of other human beings just flies (pun intended) out the window.

Also, stop elbowing me in the ribs.  I get that the seats are getting smaller, but I am fking petite as all hell and you need to stop invading my personal space.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I'm happy to be traveling via Southwest to Vegas next Saturday.  Free bag check!  We don't fly often, but we also love when airlines will give you a courtesy checked bag so you don't try to bring it on the plane with you. 

This happened almost our entire travels through Hawaii last time.  We pack so that we only have to have one checked bag to try and save on money.  We either pack together in the same bag or the big bag is mine and H uses a carry on size.

• I'm happy to be traveling via Southwest to Vegas next Saturday.  Free bag check!  We don't fly often, but we also love when airlines will give you a courtesy checked bag so you don't try to bring it on the plane with you. 

This happened almost our entire travels through Hawaii last time.  We pack so that we only have to have one checked bag to try and save on money.  We either pack together in the same bag or the big bag is mine and H uses a carry on size.

There have been a couple times I've flown SW just for the free checked bag.  If their cost is the same or close to another airlines, but my bag flies free, no brainer.  That just saved me $50-$70, round trip.  I think it has been an excellent marketing ploy to go against the industry, in this respect.

We just flew on SW to Boston about a month ago.  We were one of the last people to be boarded on one of our legs.  It was a very full flight.  My H and I couldn't even sit together but, luckily, there was still space for our one carry-on.  Because you don't have a million people bringing a carry-on as their luggage!!!  Another benefit of SW not charging a baggage fee.  More carry-on room.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

We share a checked bag too. H has a gigantic suitcase that still meets normal baggage fees so we will check that and then pack a carryon suitcase for the stuff we don't want to be checked. Usually it ends up being mostly my stuff in the carryon but I always make him put at least 1 outfit in it just in case. 
  • kvruns said:

I'm happy to be traveling via Southwest to Vegas next Saturday.  Free bag check!  We don't fly often, but we also love when airlines will give you a courtesy checked bag so you don't try to bring it on the plane with you. 

We share a checked bag too. H has a gigantic suitcase that still meets normal baggage fees so we will check that and then pack a carryon suitcase for the stuff we don't want to be checked. Usually it ends up being mostly my stuff in the carryon but I always make him put at least 1 outfit in it just in case. 
    When we travel internationally, we always pack a couple of days worth of clothes and necessary toiletries in a carry on. We know of several instances where baggage didn't catch up for a couple of days. I can re-wear pants or skirt but definitely want clean underwear and shirt/blouse. Also, I don't want to be looking to buy toothpaste, toothbrush and deodorant.
  • kvruns said:

I'm happy to be traveling via Southwest to Vegas next Saturday.  Free bag check!  We don't fly often, but we also love when airlines will give you a courtesy checked bag so you don't try to bring it on the plane with you. 

When we travel internationally, we always pack a couple of days worth of clothes and necessary toiletries in a carry on. We know of several instances where baggage didn't catch up for a couple of days. I can re-wear pants or skirt but definitely want clean underwear and shirt/blouse. Also, I don't want to be looking to buy toothpaste, toothbrush and deodorant.
    same here and that is what I tell H but he doesn't always listen and at this point I figure he's a big boy and can reap what he sows if the suitcase is delayed. I on the other hand will have fresh undies, a bathing suit and all my necessary items 
  • I had a horrible travel experience a few years ago that I feel like I should share
    {I'll leave gory details because it can be gross}

So this was before we even got engaged, but still going to refer to him as H {apparently his original plan was to propose during the trip - glad he didn't, whole other story}

We planned our first resort trip to Mexico! I was excited! Beautiful place, great service, TripAdvisor approved. Plus we were going to do some excursions. MY FIRST TIME SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS!!! I was excited.

Night before the trip, we pack and get everything settled. Had to be up super early because we had 9am flight.

H didn't sleep, I barely slept. Nerves were kicking in. First trip away without family. Would things go well? Would anything happen? Could family reach us if needed?

Got to airport super early because we didn't want to wait at home anymore. I got an apple juice and croissant because my stomach was being weird and I just wanted something easy.
    No issues in airport. Waited for our boarding. When we did board, we found out we could have gone up with the first round because we had "plus" seats {sweet!}

Take off is good. People come around with things. We got so many free things! This is where things get sketchy.
    Free wine. Then snacks. Then lunch {I had alfredo because I'm not a beef fan}

We're about an hour out, my stomach doesn't feel good. I go to the washroom and stay there for a bit to relax. It's nerves. I get hiccups a couple times, which makes my stomach feel edgy.
    We have aisle seats, and I opt to sit on very edge just in case.

*hiccup* Oh gawd, I don't feel good.
    *hiccup & vom*
    Everything. Comes. Back. Up.
    H gets grossed out because I - stupidly - tried to stop it, so overflow.

Stewards are lovely. They race over with napkins. One guy stays to take napkins into a bag and uses some MIRACLE SPRAY THAT KILLS THE SCENT! He can tell that I'm embarrassed {obviously ...} so he just keeps saying "Don't worry. It happens more than you think. It's fine."

All other flights, I now take gravol or pepto ahead of time to be safe. Also no wine and alfredo EVER
  • @MissKittyDanger, oh that's terrible!  I would have been mortified also.  I'm glad the steward was so sweet and understanding with you.  I had a b/f in college.  When he was 2, his dad got a 5-year assignment in Rio, Brazil.  The dad went down first and got their house set up.  The mom then flew, by herself, with THREE small children down to Rio from Ohio.  She had never even been out of the state before that.  My friend was too young to remember, but he apparently cried and puked for that entire plane ride.  I think it was something like a 14-hour flight.  Yikers.

kvruns said:

For as rarely as I travel, I have had something happen to my luggage THREE times!!!  Once, it was totally lost.  Never to be found again.  Never mind I had a luggage tag with my address on it AND an index card with my name and address on it inside the luggage.

Twice it got delivered to me 1-2 days later.

Oddly enough, all three of those instances were at least on my return flight, so I wasn't that inconvenienced...except for the totally lost bag.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• There have been a couple times I've flown SW just for the free checked bag.  If their cost is the same or close to another airlines, but my bag flies free, no brainer.  That just saved me $50-$70, round trip.  I think it has been an excellent marketing ploy to go against the industry, in this respect.

I fly Southwest almost all of the time when it's domestic because of the free checked bags. Usually prices are comparable to the other major airlines, but like you said, the bag fee saves you in the long run. We're also a hub, so that's nice. We usually use United for international, and are a hub for them too.

@MissKittyDanger - omg, that's awful. sorry you went through that. thank goodness you had a good crew. I was flying a lot when I was pregnant, so I know how awful it can be to feel sick on the plane - there was a lot of ginger ale and crackers on those flights. 
  • @short+sassy traveling with kids isn't easy :( my bff has 4 and traveled across Canada in plane and car. Luckily no one got sick but I can't imagine how she handled sick kids too!!
    And yes, I just wanted the plane to open up and kill me lol

@*Barbie* omg the crew was great! I wrote in to comment on how well they were given the situation!
    On way home I didn't even risk eating much just in case.

Best part about getting sick on the plane? There was a snobby couple in front of us and H and I are pretty sure they got side splash. After all was settled, H told me that in order to cheer me up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards