Wedding Woes

Wonky Wednesday

HeffalumpHeffalump member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited October 2016 in Wedding Woes

I am well enough to be at work, but still sick, so I'm in a terrible mood as a result.  And I walked down to talk to our marketing coordinator, who shares an office with our new graphic designer.  Graphic designer has a habit of taking her shoes off, and she was at it again this morning.  I was so not in the mood to see feet first thing this morning.  Who does that??

Also, my low tire pressure indicator came on this morning on the drive in.  Everything looked okay when I got to work and nothing felt noticeably squishy, so I'm going to check back around lunch time.  If everything still looks okay, I'll probably just top them off at lunch and see if that takes care of it.  It's cold this morning, so fingers crossed that that was the culprit.  (Also, I feel like I'm back in high school chemistry, PV = nRT and all that.) 

How is everyone else's Wednesday going?

Re: Wonky Wednesday

• The kids made it on to the bus this morning.  YAY.  

The bus snafu yesterday ended partially being the kiddo's fault because he forgot that the bus driver told him before fall break (which lasted 2 weeks, so why TF didn't she have the school remind us/send an update) that she was changing the pick-up time.  Of course we had to go around the bend to get to that point, as he didn't want to volunteer the information.  (He came home and was all, "Oh it's all worked out"! and then got irritated when I asked follow-up questions. *sigh* teenagers.)

Tonight is Coach purse bingo with my mom and sisters (and 500-ish other people).  I won last time, but is so fun even if you don't win.  

The election needs to end.  It feels like it's been a damn death march.  I normally can tune it out, but it's started to wear on me the last few days.  I think it's because DefConn has been asking more questions since all we see are political ads...on every channel.  I wish little kids picked up on sarcasm better.  ;) 
  • It's been busy, but I'm taking a mental health day on Monday, so I can ride out the rest of the week. I have been doing well with my clean eating but last night I had a moment and ate all of the foods. It was tasty, but I was stuffed.

The scale was not my friend this morning. Back on it today.

• @Heffalump  sounds like so many people are getting sick :( In my area it's either strep or sinus cold.
    I take my shoes off, but when I'm at my desk and people don't really see my feet. Does the GD know it bothers you?

Last night ended up just resting. This cold is taking all of my damn energy and I'm just so tired.

Tonight I'm hoping to get some things down to the basement and go through another box or clear up what's on the floor. We have people coming over on Saturday, so I want there to be more space.

Tomorrow is groceries so also likely today/tonight I'll be making the list to see what we need. Apparently we get a fair amount of kids, so we need to get lots of candy in case. I don't want to run out our first year with kids lmao!
  • @mrsconn23 what is this magical Coach purse bingo you speak of?
  • I had nightmares last night.  Bad ones.  The last time I had dreams this frightening was when I was finishing up my dissertation.  I also had a major case of somnambulism at the time, which also happened to be within a month or so of meeting DH, so there I was "Exorcist-ing" in bed every other night and wandering around the house the rest of the time.  It is a wonder that man found anything to love.

But anyway, the dreams were so bad I was afraid to go back to sleep, so I'm pretty sluggish today.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @mrsconn23 what is this magical Coach purse bingo you speak of?
    My sister's neighbor's friend (say that 3x fast ;) ) is part of a service sorority (I forget which one, which is terrible of me since this is the 3rd time I've gone to bingo) and twice a year they put on the Coach purse bingo as a fundraising event.  My sister's neighbor always gets a table and tickets are only $30.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    The kids made it on to the bus this morning.  YAY.  

The bus snafu yesterday ended partially being the kiddo's fault because he forgot that the bus driver told him before fall break (which lasted 2 weeks, so why TF didn't she have the school remind us/send an update) that she was changing the pick-up time.  Of course we had to go around the bend to get to that point, as he didn't want to volunteer the information.  (He came home and was all, "Oh it's all worked out"! and then got irritated when I asked follow-up questions. *sigh* teenagers.)

Tonight is Coach purse bingo with my mom and sisters (and 500-ish other people).  I won last time, but is so fun even if you don't win.  

The election needs to end.  It feels like it's been a damn death march.  I normally can tune it out, but it's started to wear on me the last few days.  I think it's because DefConn has been asking more questions since all we see are political ads...on every channel.  I wish little kids picked up on sarcasm better.  ;) 

One of my FB friends recently posted a meme about how interrogating your teenagers is revenge for enduring 5000 "Why?"s when they're toddlers. :)

DS has taken to asking "Where is Donald Trump?"  I keep telling him that he is far, far away, since he has no concept of campaign events and doesn't know that Trump is supposed to be in town today. 

Unrelated: I went out and checked my tires, since I can't see the parking lot from here and kept imagining going out there at noon to find a flat.  A couple psi low all around, except for 5 psi low on one of them, so I'm betting that's what triggered the alert.  That shouldn't take long to correct at lunch, assuming I can scrounge up a bunch of quarters for the air.

And in slightly related news, since it's cold here this morning and I'm still feeling kind of crappy, I turned on my heated seats for the first time in ages this morning.  It felt gooooooood. :) 

• Side note; maybe someone can understand this because I don't.

H's cousin, a girl I went to school with AND our friend's sister are all pregnant.
    2/3 are younger than me. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for them but part of me is .... jealous? Envious? I'm not sure, but part of me is upset and I can't explain how I feel or why I feel it.
    It actually bothers me that I'm bothered by it.

I mentioned this to H back in the summer, because I felt maybe he could understand it. He said only thing he can think of is the biological clock, age, etc.

Anyone else go through this? Or even understand what I'm going through?

For reference, we've talked about TTC next year. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it happened now, but it would be inconvenient because we just moved and are just getting a grip on this home ownership deal.
  • ooooh, coach purse bingo?  Sounds like something I'd go to.  I always wanted to do bingo but never got around to finding a place.

Yesterday I got my hair done, and the stylist (at a legit salon may I add) got hair dye all over my face, but I wait over 24 hours to wash my hair and I have no make up remover at home, so I'm just walking around with a dark brown ring around my face. nbd.

It's all dark and stormy and I'm really hoping we lose power and get to go home because I have so much stuff to do.  Hit our power box.  That's all I'm asking. 

• @MissKittyDanger, I understand how you feel.  My BFF is pregnant with her third, one of my other friends just had her first a few days before my wedding, and now H's SIL is expecting.  That one hit me hard, and I don't know why since there is seriously bad air between us, but for some time I thought it was envy.  But it wasn't, because H and I are not in a place where we are ready for kids or even want them right now.  We've been married for less than a year and we haven't even had a chance to enjoy being married, let alone start building our lives together.  Neither of us have any desire to extend the chaos our lives are at the moment by throwing a pregnancy into the mix.

H and I decided that we won't have a TTC conversation until we have been settled in the new place for at least a year, and just making that pre-decision did a lot to calm me and re-center me around us in the here and now.

I think it was exactly what your H said.  I think it's just the closer it hits to home, the more aware I am of how I am getting older, I can't wait forever, and the older I do get, the harder it may become TC.  These people are just in different places than H and I are, that they are ready to start a family and we are not, and that's ok.

It's a weird feeling, but I don't think it's irrational or abnormal.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @Heffalump do you have a spare tire? DH's (!!) low pressure light kept coming on and all of his tires were fine. Eventually, he asked someone/google and it was the spare tire. How did the car know? Radio signals from little transmitters that are in most tires. How fucking crazy is that shit?

I am at the social security office. I walked in yesterday and said fuck that shit. So I have been here since 8:52 and am 2 numbers away from mine being called.
    Back to work tomorrow. Our house is still a disaster. Idk when the relocation people are coming but I hope we can get the house cleaned up before then, lol.
  • @AtomicBlonde  Oh good! I'm not alone! I just feel like it's irrational because I am excited/happy for these people, but at the same time. Irked? I didn't even feel this way when my friends had kids - maybe because at the time I was in a different point in my life?

I think age is really hitting me. I just turned 29 and I called '30' my scary age, so I don't think that's helping me either
  • I did a crazy thing last night: I got an email alert about absurdly cheap fares and I booked us another major trip on the spur of the moment!  I have 24 hours to cancel without penalty if I can't get the time off, but if all goes well we will be off to Milan over New Years!  One of FI's best friends from high school lives there, and visiting him has been a dream of FI's for for over a decade.  You guys, the tickets were just barely over $350!  That is completely unheard of from my airport in the Midwest, much less over the holidays when it's easier to take time off!

For real though, United is currently running a special from Atlanta, Denver, Detroit, Minneapolis, and Salt Lake to Amsterdam, Milan, Paris and Rome for a bunch of dates now through January.  If any of you folks live in those cities and are interested in traveling to Europe this is basically the best deal ever.

Holy shit.  I hadn't been anywhere at all for almost 4 years, and now I will be on two biggies just a couple of months apart!
    That is DIRT cheap.  I would drive to Detroit or Minneapolis but I'm going to the bahamas and Ireland next year.  People would wonder if I was a bookie if I added another one.....
    But seriously, let me know if you find any more deals in 2018 lol.  I am JEALOUS!

• @Heffalump do you have a spare tire? DH's (!!) low pressure light kept coming on and all of his tires were fine. Eventually, he asked someone/google and it was the spare tire. How did the car know? Radio signals from little transmitters that are in most tires. How fucking crazy is that shit?

I am at the social security office. I walked in yesterday and said fuck that shit. So I have been here since 8:52 and am 2 numbers away from mine being called.
    Back to work tomorrow. Our house is still a disaster. Idk when the relocation people are coming but I hope we can get the house cleaned up before then, lol.
    I had no idea!  I didn't even think to check the spare.  Guess I'll do that when I top off the others at lunch.  How crazy is that?  Thanks for the tip.
  • @MissKittyDanger I totally understand. I feel that way a lot. One of my best friends (who never had having kids high on her priority list) just had her first. Another one of my best friends has a 2 year old and is pregnant with twins. Actually, nearly every girl at church close to my age is pregnant right now (not exaggerating). It's like I feel left out almost, even though I know right now is clearly not a good time for DH and I to have a baby. But every time I find out one of my friends is pregnant it is a reminder that I'm not getting any younger and neither is DH. You're not alone in that for sure!

• @Heffalump, I'm going to assume and hope for you that it is the weather change.  My tire pressure indicators do that also.  But then there is one for each tire and its obvious because they'll all pop on at the same time.  It's annoying though because, once they come on, they have to manually be reset.  So, while the weather is changing, I don't bother to do that.

I hope all the sickies on here feel better soon!

My boss seemed happy with the couple short meetings we had yesterday about a new weekly report he wants going forward.

The Costco HVAC estimator fiasco yesterday, turned out to be such a waste of time.  Even including their "15% back in Costco gift cards" for members, they were still much higher than the majority.  We pulled the trigger on one of the other companies yesterday and they are coming out today to install the new HVAC unit at that rental.  Yay, so quick!  $4K out of my pocket.  Not so yay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My H came home yesterday to find the tenant who shares our duplex crying on our shared porch.  They had moved here from Wyoming in July.  NOLA has not been a good fit for them and they want to move OOT again.  Though they are flexible and will stay until we find a new tenant.  So that is good at least.

Now my bitchy vent.  Personally, I don't know what they expect to find anywhere else.  They are unhappy people and not in a good place in life.  100% of their own choosing.  But then people never see it that way, do they?

I agree with her, though probably for different reasons.  NOLA is a bad place for them.  She needs to be in a city where the liquor does not flow quite so freely, easily, and often. 

As much as I hate, hate, hate doing showings between tenants...my absolute least favorite thing as a landlady...we will be happy to see them go.  Toward us, they are both very nice and pleasant.  But they are not good people.  She is drunk most of the time and has no qualms driving that way.  They argue with each other a lot and he hits her.  There has already been one domestic dispute call that landed him arrested and in jail for a few days. 

I will raise my glass to the Fates tonight and pray, pray, pray that my next tenants for this unit are friendly, responsible, awesome, and stay for a really, really long time.  This one is definitely a bit different than my other units because they're not just my tenants.  They're neighbors I share a porch, backyard, and one interior wall with. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger I totally understand. I feel that way a lot. One of my best friends (who never had having kids high on her priority list) just had her first. Another one of my best friends has a 2 year old and is pregnant with twins. Actually, nearly every girl at church close to my age is pregnant right now (not exaggerating). It's like I feel left out almost, even though I know right now is clearly not a good time for DH and I to have a baby. But every time I find out one of my friends is pregnant it is a reminder that I'm not getting any younger and neither is DH. You're not alone in that for sure!
    Yes! Especially the bolded!
    It's crazy and maybe it's society putting pressure on age, etc. also
  • edited October 2016
    @MissKittyDanger I totally understand. I feel that way a lot. One of my best friends (who never had having kids high on her priority list) just had her first. Another one of my best friends has a 2 year old and is pregnant with twins. Actually, nearly every girl at church close to my age is pregnant right now (not exaggerating). It's like I feel left out almost, even though I know right now is clearly not a good time for DH and I to have a baby. But every time I find out one of my friends is pregnant it is a reminder that I'm not getting any younger and neither is DH. You're not alone in that for sure!

I have always wanted to have kids at a younger age (under 30). When I was younger I thought for sure I would have at least one, maybe 2 kids by now. So for me it isn't society putting pressure on age, but I could see it being that for some people!

Edited for clarity

• Today started much better for us!  The alarm went off for H, so he didn't need to scramble out the door.  He did keep waking up and checking the time to make sure he wasn't oversleeping again, so who knows how much sleep he ended up getting!

I got done all of the little things I wanted to do around the house this morning.

And as it seems to go with Betsey, one step forward and two back.  While her front shoulders/legs seem to be fine, she has been limping a bit on a back leg.  Oh dog!  Just walk and stop slipping around!  We can't afford to buy anymore area rugs!  We also don't have much room to put any - we have filled in so much of the hard wood and laminate already!  Hopefully it just needs some time to heal and she will be fine before we go back to the vet in 3 weeks.

Yoga after work and then home for some dinner and relaxing.

I have always wanted to have kids at a younger age (under 30). When I was younger I thought for sure I would have at least one, maybe 2 kids by now. So for me it isn't society putting pressure on age, but I could see it being that for some people!

Edited for clarity

Count me in, too. 

For me I think part of that irked feeling is that H and I aren't at a point in our lives where we're having the TTC conversation, because things are so unsettled. He's trying to get a new job, we just bought the house, just moved to a new state for jobs, etc. and throwing a baby into the mix isn't right for us right now. But I do wish things were more settled so we could have that conversation, KWIM? 
  • @short+sassy  my mum says the same thing! I like to scare her and be like "when you were my age, you had a toddler ;)"

@charlotte989875  I feel you <3
  • I am 50 today!  I'm not to upset about it or anything, but the number does seem big, lol.

I am going to a "31" bingo tomorrow night, not as fancy as Coach, but cheaper -$10.  I never win, but maybe this will be my lucky one.

Happy birthday, peg!

@Heffalump  sounds like so many people are getting sick :( In my area it's either strep or sinus cold.
    I take my shoes off, but when I'm at my desk and people don't really see my feet. Does the GD know it bothers you?

I don't know.  I did ask what happened to her shoes, but I did not say "Your feet are gross," which is what I was thinking.  I thought maybe she stepped in a puddle and they got soaked or something.  Nope.  Just felt like taking 'em off.

I don't take mine off, because I have no reason to.  When I decide what to wear each day, I know that I'm going to be at the office all day and I dress accordingly.  I don't know, maybe she has a medical condition of some kind and doesn't want to talk about it.  I would just rather not see her feet when I walk into her shared office to conduct business, because it's unprofessional.

No judgment for those of you who are WFH in a shoe-optional environment. :)

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2016

Now my bitchy vent.  Personally, I don't know what they expect to find anywhere else.  They are unhappy people and not in a good place in life.  100% of their own choosing.  But then people never see it that way, do they?

OMG, yes.  DH says that all the time, "If you're unhappy with your life, moving won't change that.  You'll just be unhappy somewhere else."  

We actually talked about that in Hawaii because a common refrain we heard from mainlanders that moved there is that they were 'tired of xyz place and wanted a change'.   That very well may be all good and true, but people undervalue making changes in your life where you are/live at that moment vs. running off/away to somewhere new.  

Also, many people who worked there that we talked to said they and their spouse had 2 jobs to make it work.  We actually had a waiter on our first day at one restaurant in Maui and then he was our server at a totally different restaurant on our last day (he was staring at us and then came up and was all, "Do I know you?" LOL).

As DH (such a wise man, but I'll never tell him that), "Unless you're independently wealthy or retired rich, you still gotta get up and do the daily grind, even in paradise." ;) 

Edited for clarity

Count me in, too. 

For me I think part of that irked feeling is that H and I aren't at a point in our lives where we're having the TTC conversation, because things are so unsettled. He's trying to get a new job, we just bought the house, just moved to a new state for jobs, etc. and throwing a baby into the mix isn't right for us right now. But I do wish things were more settled so we could have that conversation, KWIM? 

@charlotte989875 yes girl! Totally understand. I keep looking at us and being like "how are we not settled enough for this conversation yet?" We just aren't, though. Too many things are up in the air right now. It irritates me! I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat.  

• Happy Birthday Pegasuskat!  I hope you have a great one!
  • @Heffalump  - is it the Suabru? My Outback generally needs a top off 2x year, and it seems to coincide with the fall/spring weather changes when the light pops off. I've never checked the spare - the light generally goes off within a mile of top off.

I woke up thinking it was Thursday, then I was sad. I had to be here early for a meeting that I run, so of course was running a few minutes late, and then had technical issues. Meeting went well overall. 

I have a bunch of meetings today. I ran to the nurse's office today and got my flu shot. I still have the bad cough, but it's the last day they were offering it, and it's a hassle to go elsewhere. Hopefully doesn't somehow trigger anything worse. (I know that's not how vaccines work, but I've already had the flu once and bronchitis 2x in the last 6 months, so should probably be overly cautious.)

feeling tired today. my 9:30-10:30 meeting ran over, and they're still talking. if it hits 11, i'm getting offline - need to try to cram in some lunch before other meetings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards