Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Help me define too cold?

When we picked our venue we found somewhere that had a great inside and outside ceremony site.  

The weather can be a bit unpredictable so we wanted to make sure we had back up plans.  Two years ago in the town we were getting married it was 90 degrees, Last year it snowed the weekend of our wedding.  Looking at our wedding day this year the weather is estimated to be between 71-63 depending on which site you look at.  

I'm always hot, so I'd be happy to have an outside ceremony in 55 degree weather but I know that wouldn't be ideal.  However I'm not sure at what point we should move to having the ceremony inside is 65 too cold to be outside?  I would love opinions/suggestions, since my internal thermometer is a little off. 

Thanks!

Re: Help me define too cold?

• Options
    65 is not too cold IMO. I would say 60 should be the cutoff. It was mid-50s at my SIL's wedding and we were freezing. Keep in mind the temperature on the other end, though. You should also move the wedding inside if it's going to be 80 or above. We roasted at my cousin's wedding last month.
  • Options
    When we picked our venue we found somewhere that had a great inside and outside ceremony site.  

The weather can be a bit unpredictable so we wanted to make sure we had back up plans.  Two years ago in the town we were getting married it was 90 degrees, Last year it snowed the weekend of our wedding.  Looking at our wedding day this year the weather is estimated to be between 71-63 depending on which site you look at.  

I'm always hot, so I'd be happy to have an outside ceremony in 55 degree weather but I know that wouldn't be ideal.  However I'm not sure at what point we should move to having the ceremony inside is 65 too cold to be outside?  I would love opinions/suggestions, since my internal thermometer is a little off. 

Thanks!
    Eh, 65 is probably border line for me. Is it sunny with no breeze and a short ceremony? Maybe it could work. If it's cloudy and breezy I'd say it might be too cold. 
  • Options

Converting myself into degrees F, I would bottom out at 65 and even that is iffy. Any wind at all and I would move it inside. Guests are going to be sitting down which increases the chances that someone will get cold.

• Options
    I'm with @artbyallie: I think 60 is a reasonable cutoff.  65 is still firmly in the "warm" category.  I also strongly agree that you need to have an upper range in mind as well.  Anything 75+ is going to be a sticky, uncomfortable mess.
  • Options
    For me it  depends on the where.    60 can be considered warm where I live because there is little humidity.  Heck, I just wear a light pullover when it's above 50.    On the upper side, 80 isn't horrible here either. Again, no humidity.  

When I lived in the mid-atlantic states 80, humid and direct sun would be awful and possibly unbearable.  On the low end 65 degrees with some humidity could feel even cooler.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Thank you all! :) We'll look at the wind conditions as well as the temperature when deciding inside.  Bringing it in at 60 or below if there is no wind and taking it in closer to 65 if there is a breeze. 

We will definitely move inside if it's much above 70.  Even 70 is hot to me! :) My Fiancé and I went to a wedding last year that was outside when it was 108 and we just about died.  They served wine and water at the cocktail hour but the water had no ice so most people drank the chilled wine.  We were both wasted before dinner, as were most other guests.  We decided the following morning that we'd be sure that our wedding would have indoor options to prevent this situation! 

Thank you for your opinions! We really appreciate it! :) 
  • Options
    @gaiadaughter 108!?!?!?! That's fucking ridiculous! I think I'd have stayed home.

As for your original question, I would be cold at 65, but not so cold that I'd be miserable. A light wrap would be fine. It was low 80's on my wedding day, but we were set on the water and had a breeze so the temp was perfect. 
  • Options
    At 60-65 degrees I would be chilly but fine for 20 minutes. 65-75 is ideal to me for a longer ceremony.
  • Options
    I run extremely hot, and although our ceremony and reception were completely indoors during our February-in-NY, 35 degree day, DH and I did take some photos outdoors because our venue's grounds were so pretty.  My dress was sleeveless, and DH kept offering me his tux jacket, and he finally whispered "just take it or the photographer's going to think I'm a dick husband!!" It was the first time he referred to himself as my H and we still laugh that the full phrase was dick husband  :D

OP, very smart and self-aware of you to ask.  60 degrees seems to be the consensus.  Happy planning!
  • Options
    I think 65 is just fine. Anything under 60 is pushing it.