Wedding Woes

Vent thread

Re: Vent thread

• Yeah, Barbie uses DK for Dear Ken.

Very basically, the boobs are taped under her armpits.  I tape K.  She pushes the boob flat with her hand, I use T-Rex tape (most performers use duct tape, we like the T-Rex b/c it's more structured and gives her a better line) to then pull it under her arm pit.  The tape stretches from about 1" inside her nipple to the middle of her shoulder blade.  There's 3 pieces to start with, middle, upper, lower boob.  Then usually a 4th place b/c the upper part is always hard to actually get to lay flat.  Then one piece that stretches from shoulder blade to shoulder blade covers all of the ends of the tape.

I'm in the process of learning to paint on the abs.  It's a PITA, b/c it uses 3 colors (at least) and K is ticklish.  :smiley:
  • @VarunaTT color me impressed! This is one of those things I'd like to see from start to finish because it's just so magical to me! I love Drag Race and am bummed I missed the last couple seasons. I used to tell my exH that I wanted makeup lessons because I can't figure that out for nothing and here these men go from men to gorgeous women and now I see vice versa!
  • @VarunaTT color me impressed! This is one of those things I'd like to see from start to finish because it's just so magical to me! I love Drag Race and am bummed I missed the last couple seasons. I used to tell my exH that I wanted makeup lessons because I can't figure that out for nothing and here these men go from men to gorgeous women and now I see vice versa!
    Me too!  I have a p/t job taking pictures of event boards at hotels.  On my route on a Sat. morning recently, there were six drag queens having brunch.  Gorgeous hair, gorgeous make-up, dressed to the nines in heels, hats, and sundresses (but on the dressier side).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Me too!  I have a p/t job taking pictures of event boards at hotels.  On my route on a Sat. morning recently, there were six drag queens having brunch.  Gorgeous hair, gorgeous make-up, dressed to the nines in heels, hats, and sundresses (but on the dressier side).
    The contouring these guys do!! I try to contour and it just looks like I rubbed dirt on my face. 
  • @VarunaTT I've wondered for a while...what is DK?

I've assumed that Barbie uses DK instead of DH as "Dear Ken" since her name is Barbie. I could be wrong though.
    That's where else I've seen it. I can't believe I never thought of that!
    I've wondered the same thing! Thanks for asking DrillSargeant.
  • Opposite sex friends apparently came up in conversation at H's work the other day. H's coworker was all, "OMG your wife has male friends! WTF!" H was like, "I trust my wife, IDGAF". Guy said something about not trusting other guys but trusting his wife. As long as you trust these people not to assault women, you got no worries, dude.

That plus weird guy at the Bears game saying he wouldn't be able to "handle" his partner going to sporting events without a man? Fuck these people.

The sexism surrounding sports/fans drives me crazy. When H and I used to watch games at the bar (before we got the ticket) we'd request Steelers and Bills on next to each other so that we could sit together and watch the games. One time someone was like "well you can change the Bills game, she's the only one watching" umm no sorry, I'm just as big of a fan as anyone else in this bar (probably more) and I don't just watch the same game as my husband. 

Also, my H hates going to games. His preferred way of watching football is alone, with a bourbon, where he can stand up, wander around, and not have to talk to anyone. I love going to games, but I hate the shit people say there. I've had people say that women aren't real fans and we're only here with our boyfriends/husbands/brother. STFU, no. 
  • @DrillSergeantCat  - check out some of the youtube videos/channels of the queens from Drag Race - you can get a lot of makeup tips and tricks. 
    Miss Fame's channel is fantastic. I like watching Nikki Tutorials and Jeffree Star for makeup too. 

• Opposite sex friends apparently came up in conversation at H's work the other day. H's coworker was all, "OMG your wife has male friends! WTF!" H was like, "I trust my wife, IDGAF". Guy said something about not trusting other guys but trusting his wife. As long as you trust these people not to assault women, you got no worries, dude.

That plus weird guy at the Bears game saying he wouldn't be able to "handle" his partner going to sporting events without a man? Fuck these people.

The sexism surrounding sports/fans drives me crazy. When H and I used to watch games at the bar (before we got the ticket) we'd request Steelers and Bills on next to each other so that we could sit together and watch the games. One time someone was like "well you can change the Bills game, she's the only one watching" umm no sorry, I'm just as big of a fan as anyone else in this bar (probably more) and I don't just watch the same game as my husband. 

Also, my H hates going to games. His preferred way of watching football is alone, with a bourbon, where he can stand up, wander around, and not have to talk to anyone. I love going to games, but I hate the shit people say there. I've had people say that women aren't real fans and we're only here with our boyfriends/husbands/brother. STFU, no. 

I get that shit all. the. time.

I get a lot of guys asking "where my boyfriend is" as they're trying to hit on me and then super judgmental looks and comments and shit from them when I say my husband is at home and that he doesn't even like football.

The sexism on the male side is gross too with the implications that you're not a "real man" if you don't like sports.

I've been told that I clearly wear the pants in my relationship, that I am a "waste" because I married someone who isn't a crazy football fan, all kinds of dumb shit.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    I learned how to do make-up as a teenager from drag queens. Best. Teachers. Ever.
  • This is blasphemous...but I need to vent about Target. We used our gift cards from the shower to order a leaf blower. I used one in its entirety and threw it out. The leaf blower was then delayed a month so we went to cancel it and order a different brand, so they refunded all of the GC's, including the one I threw out. NBD, I can call. First I have to explain that yes, my order was cancelled by me. She puts me on hold. Then I have to explain that I threw out the gift card that the $50 was refunded to. She puts me on hold. Then I reexplain that I threw it out because I used the balance and didn't think I needed to keep it. She puts me on hold. Then she asks for the receipt number from when I bought the gift card. I literally respond with "It was a gift card, as in I received it as a gift. And then reexplain that I didn't purchase the gift card, it was gifted to me by someone else and no I'm not sure who. She puts me on hold. Comes back and says they'll mail me a new one. Perfect. Today I received an email regarding my experience with Target's customer service. Enclosed was one question: would you refer a friend to shop at Target? What in the everloving fuck? That has absolutely nothing to do with my phone call?!?!
    Drag Queen makeup is a PITA! I love seeing it done, but part of my mua course is learning about drag makeup {we learned both DQ and DK} and to get a male's skin to be flawless when their natural texture is coarse, is a nightmare and a lot of work.

DQ makeup I learned about is about over doing it for most part, and that's for shows.

End of the day, it's easier ftm than mtf when it comes to makeup lol
  • @kimmiinthemitten I used to work PT for a local Nissan dealership. My Nissan needed the tires rotated & balanced and there was a recall for a hood latch. I figured I'd have it done while I was there. I pay for the rotate and walk out to my car where I notice some mud on the tires. I look closer and notice there's way more tread on the tires than there should have been, so I check the front and that's when I figure out they didn't do the rotate & balance. A few days later, I get a survey and one of the questions was would you recommend this dealership to your family and friends? I answered no because if I work there and they do that, what are they going to do to someone else? I go to work the next Saturday and one of the service advisers comes over and starts chewing my ass for filling out a bad survey. I guess I shouldn't have done it since I worked there, but his concern wasn't that the work wasn't done, it was that the service adviser on my ticket wouldn't get a bonus because of that.
  • If you're interested in drag king makeup, Landon Cider's Youtube channel is amazing.  She is a makeup artist professionally.  Her Jack Frost is OMGAMAZING.

We're going to try and get to DragCon next year.  Last year, Landon speed painted an audience member.  I'm pretty sure K would faint from happiness if she got to meet Landon.  Landon also just did Sloth (from Goonies) for Halloween.
  • Oh FFS! People are pissed off about a cup AGAIN! I just saw a story about people being pissed at Starbucks because they issued a green cup that's not even their Holiday cup. People want snowflakes and snowmen and are claiming that Starbucks is trying to take Jesus out of Christmas. WTELF? What do snowflakes, snowmen, and Santa have to do with Jesus? 

On the topic of Christmas and Holidays...I'm already tired of people claiming a war against Christmas. Nobody has ever told anyone they can't say Merry Christmas unless they're working for a company that wants to be inclusive and even then it's only when they're clocked in! Joe Blow wants to say Merry Christmas to everyone he meets walking down the street? Go right ahead! Nobody's stopping you! You say Happy Hanukkah to me, I'll say thank you Happy Hanukkah because that's obviously what you celebrate. JFC!
    It's because people who complain about 'taking the Jesus out of Christmas' forget there are other religion holidays around that time.

My only quip about Christmas is waiting until after Remembrance/Veteran's Day for any holiday decor to go up.
    It never happens, but I wish it did. Half out of respect, half out of giving people a freakin break on holiday decor! If people can't wait 12 days to decorate for holidays, that's a whole other issue ....
  • Heffalump said:
    Oh FFS! People are pissed off about a cup AGAIN! I just saw a story about people being pissed at Starbucks because they issued a green cup that's not even their Holiday cup. People want snowflakes and snowmen and are claiming that Starbucks is trying to take Jesus out of Christmas. WTELF? What do snowflakes, snowmen, and Santa have to do with Jesus? 

On the topic of Christmas and Holidays...I'm already tired of people claiming a war against Christmas. Nobody has ever told anyone they can't say Merry Christmas unless they're working for a company that wants to be inclusive and even then it's only when they're clocked in! Joe Blow wants to say Merry Christmas to everyone he meets walking down the street? Go right ahead! Nobody's stopping you! You say Happy Hanukkah to me, I'll say thank you Happy Hanukkah because that's obviously what you celebrate. JFC!

Jesus seems like kind of a hipster, so he probably doesn't even want to be on a Starbucks cup.

Our local produce market--who I love--recently posted on FB that they're done for the season (boo!) but that they're going to reopen in a couple of weeks as a Christmas market with Christmas trees, wreaths, gift baskets, etc.  So I'm reading this thinking "Cool, we'll have to check that out."  But then they just had to add "(Yes we know it's not politically correct to call it that but...were not a politically correct produce company - I'm not calling it a "Winter Market")."  I hovered a long time over the eye roll emoji on that one, but I didn't want to start a FB war, plus they are my best egg supplier now that DH's coworker with the egg farm was canned.  I can't go back to grocery store eggs!  ::sobs::

But seriously, so stupid.  They make it sound like Obama and the ACLU are coming for their Christmas wreaths.  I had to stop reading the comments after "Really make people mad and play Christmas music!" because I was afraid for my blood pressure. 

I encounter WAAAAY more people who are bitching about the people bitching about the cup or the word "Christmas" than actual people upset about it.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

• I encounter WAAAAY more people who are bitching about the people bitching about the cup or the word "Christmas" than actual people upset about it.
    Unfortunately, I have a few friends who're already bitching about "people" telling them they can't say Merry Christmas.
  • It's because people who complain about 'taking the Jesus out of Christmas' forget there are other religion holidays around that time.

My only quip about Christmas is waiting until after Remembrance/Veteran's Day for any holiday decor to go up.
    It never happens, but I wish it did. Half out of respect, half out of giving people a freakin break on holiday decor! If people can't wait 12 days to decorate for holidays, that's a whole other issue ....
    And Christmas is only at that time because Roman Christians wanted to take the focus off of the other celebrations. I laugh when people tell me, "Jesus' birth is the reason for the season." Ummm....no. Impossible. Jesus was likely born in May or June as the temperatures in Jerusalem in December would be far too cold for travel and that's not when they did the census AND the location of the North star would have been wrong. 

I love Christmas, but to me, it's about spending time with family and giving gifts. However, I agree with you that it needs to wait until later for decorations to go up.

So I've mentioned that my mother is pretty religious, and I am not at all.  We are usually kind and respectful of one another, but when Wooz was born she asked if we were having her baptized, and I was like "Um, no...because we're not Christian.  So that would be weird."  So then she was like "Then I guess you won't be celebrating Christmas, either!" and I told her on the contrary, we were gonna take Christmas back to its pagan roots. 

I was probably unnecessarily snarky, but seriously, I hadn't been a believer in like 15 years, so I was getting frustrated by that point: are you getting married in a church, are you having your baby baptized, etc.  Nope.  She was not thrilled, but she's not made of stone, so she couldn't resist Baby's First Christmas, even though there was no midnight Mass involved.  And we have been nicer to each other since then.  :)

I don't mind when stores have their Christmas stuff out already--I do love me some planning ahead.  (Confession: I bought wrapping paper and bows at Costco yesterday.)  But I'm not ready to see the decorations and stuff out in the world yet.  It's 76 here right now!

• Oh FFS! People are pissed off about a cup AGAIN! I just saw a story about people being pissed at Starbucks because they issued a green cup that's not even their Holiday cup. People want snowflakes and snowmen and are claiming that Starbucks is trying to take Jesus out of Christmas. WTELF? What do snowflakes, snowmen, and Santa have to do with Jesus? 

My press release if I were a Starbucks head honcho:

"It has come to our attention that some of our patrons are upset about the green cups for the winter season.  With the belief that these cups are taking Jesus out of Christmas.  We are a publicly traded, Fortune 500 company that is not religious based.  They are OUR cups and we will put whatever we want on them.  Enjoy a green cup today matched with our Peppermint Mocha cappuccino, a special winter flavor for a limited time only.  Thank you."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's because people who complain about 'taking the Jesus out of Christmas' forget there are other religion holidays around that time.

And Christmas is only at that time because Roman Christians wanted to take the focus off of the other celebrations. I laugh when people tell me, "Jesus' birth is the reason for the season." Ummm....no. Impossible. Jesus was likely born in May or June as the temperatures in Jerusalem in December would be far too cold for travel and that's not when they did the census AND the location of the North star would have been wrong. 

I love Christmas, but to me, it's about spending time with family and giving gifts. However, I agree with you that it needs to wait until later for decorations to go up.
    It's fun to mention this to some religious people and that Christianity stole the holiday from Pegans who celebrate the solstice. {note: not all religious people are totally against hearing it}
  • Heffalump said:
    It's because people who complain about 'taking the Jesus out of Christmas' forget there are other religion holidays around that time.

So I've mentioned that my mother is pretty religious, and I am not at all.  We are usually kind and respectful of one another, but when Wooz was born she asked if we were having her baptized, and I was like "Um, no...because we're not Christian.  So that would be weird."  So then she was like "Then I guess you won't be celebrating Christmas, either!" and I told her on the contrary, we were gonna take Christmas back to its pagan roots. 

I was probably unnecessarily snarky, but seriously, I hadn't been a believer in like 15 years, so I was getting frustrated by that point: are you getting married in a church, are you having your baby baptized, etc.  Nope.  She was not thrilled, but she's not made of stone, so she couldn't resist Baby's First Christmas, even though there was no midnight Mass involved.  And we have been nicer to each other since then.  :)

I don't mind when stores have their Christmas stuff out already--I do love me some planning ahead.  (Confession: I bought wrapping paper and bows at Costco yesterday.)  But I'm not ready to see the decorations and stuff out in the world yet.  It's 76 here right now!

Glad everything is sorted now!

H's dad's side of the family are pretty religious, but are relatively respectful about it. Some of them are heavier than others. Since H was first on his dad's side to get married {and being atheist} he was a tad concerned what they would think. Most heavily is his nanny {matriarch}
    There was no 'pearl clutching' when we didn't get married in a church or have religious ceremony - or that I had a short dress and no veil! - but I anticipate there being something if we have a child and they aren't baptized or put in Catholic school board.
  • It's because people who complain about 'taking the Jesus out of Christmas' forget don't care that there are other religion holidays around that time.

FTFY.

Heffalump said:

But seriously, so stupid.  They make it sound like Obama and the ACLU are coming for their Christmas wreaths.  I had to stop reading the comments after "Really make people mad and play Christmas music!" because I was afraid for my blood pressure. 

But he is, right after he elects himself for a third term and then takes their guns and their bibles.  It's the most obvious next step.
  • It's because people who complain about 'taking the Jesus out of Christmas' forget don't care that there are other religion holidays around that time.

FTFY.
    My bad ;) thanks
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2016

My timely vent.  Where is all my voter s**t?  I'm a registered voter.  Why is nothing ever sent to me.  Why do I have to look up my polling location EVERY year?  And look up the voting card online to see who is running for what?

Thanks ladies on WW.  It was your various posts talking about early voting/absentee ballots that made me start thinking, "Hmmm...voting, elections.  It is November.  That should be coming up.  What day is voting day?"  (Look it up online).  "Next Tuesday.  Oh, okay.  Thanks, yet again, for the zero notification."

Now I have a conspiracy theory!!!  I live in NOLA.  New Orleans is super blue, but the entire rest of the state is super red.  Maybe they don't send voter info to people in New Orleans.  Ah ha, caught them!  I might really believe that if it wasn't for the sheer ineptitude of pretty much everything they do.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My press release if I were a Starbucks head honcho:

"It has come to our attention that some of our patrons are upset about the green cups for the winter season.  With the belief that these cups are taking Jesus out of Christmas.  We are a publicly traded, Fortune 500 company that is not religious based.  They are OUR cups and we will put whatever we want on them.  Enjoy a green cup today matched with our Peppermint Mocha cappuccino, a special winter flavor for a limited time only.  Thank you."

That's the funniest part! It's not the holiday cup! The holiday cup is still going to be red. This cup was released to promote unity because our country is so divided right now. They even put a drawing on it that's 100 (I think that's the number) people's faces drawn in one continuous stroke. 

People just got their panties and nuts in a twist by jumping to conclusions.