Wedding Woes

Fri-Yay!

2»

Re: Fri-Yay!

• Hugs Varuna, I hope things begin to look up for you very soon. 

AtomicBlonde - I hope Toothless continues to amaze you and transitions to the new house very quickly and easily.

MissJeanLouise - The veil is amazing and the picture is gorgeous!

• I'm sorry for the sick pets - it's always tough to lose a member of the family, and vet bills can be costly for a chronic/emergency situation. 

Today is Wolverine's birthday, so we're going to a Brazilian steakhouse for dinner. She loves their chicken hearts and ate 20 the last time we went (on top of everything else). She's super excited. I also made reservations for us to go to San Antonio in a few weeks as her big gift (in lieu of a party) - we'll go to Sea World for their Christmas celebration. 

The weekend will be a lot of cleaning and organizing - our appraisal for the refi is scheduled for Monday, so we need to get moving. I've been trying to do some stuff the last few nights, and at least made a dent in it. I need to start using Next Door to sell the baby stuff that we still have, and then set up a donation pickup for whatever I can't sell.

• @MissKittyDanger not yet. He gets crystals. About this time last year, he spent 5 days in the hospital, was catheterized and had his bladder flushed three times, and spent two weeks on antibiotics and pain meds. That trip was $1200. The surgery he needs is super painful and is the equivalent of a sex change. They'll widen the urethra and move it to the rear, remove the penis, and sew him up. 
  • @MissKittyDanger not yet. He gets crystals. About this time last year, he spent 5 days in the hospital, was catheterized and had his bladder flushed three times, and spent two weeks on antibiotics and pain meds. That trip was $1200. The surgery he needs is super painful and is the equivalent of a sex change. They'll widen the urethra and move it to the rear, remove the penis, and sew him up. 
    Yikes!! Not fun :( Poor kitty
    We had a cat that got those, but would always end up passing them and didn't need surgery.
    Hopefully it's not crystals again
    We had a cat that got those, but would always end up passing them and didn't need surgery.
    I'm hoping he's just being stubborn. I'm going to switch litter this weekend to one I used to use and see if maybe it's just the texture and smell of this one he's averse to. We've shut him out of what will be the baby's room because it's his favorite place to pee and we're cleaning the carpet in there and he was wailing, begging to get in this morning.
  • OMG @DrillSergeantCat, that's terrible!  

Is he on the special prescription food as well?  My old cat was on that.  I hated it so much, b/c it was basically trash food, surrounding the prescription.
    I'm hoping he's just being stubborn. I'm going to switch litter this weekend to one I used to use and see if maybe it's just the texture and smell of this one he's averse to. We've shut him out of what will be the baby's room because it's his favorite place to pee and we're cleaning the carpet in there and he was wailing, begging to get in this morning.
    Hopefully that works!! Poor Kitty :\
  • Plans for the weekend?   Not a damn thing.  It's still really nice here, so maybe go hiking tomorrow.   Football on Sunday.   We might have some friends over to watch the Broncos/Raiders game.  We have friends on both sides and it could be interesting to watch.

Today I'm doing laundry and watching the Cubs parade.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • FWIW, pet surgeries are easier to shop around than human surgeries.
    It's a mixed bag...but we got Dawg's surgery for less than 10% of the first quoted price.
    We went to a large rural vet that basically does orthapedic surgery all day, every day, instead of MSU/Okemos (and our vet was quite OK w/ this--they're the ones who said they wanted us to go elsewhere--they said they'd be to expensive and that they don't do enough of them to be awesome at them)

If you call around, the worst they can say is no--ask friends and family who they like as vets (we used MIL's former vet for this one)

• @gbck - I'll definitely do that!
  • @gbck - I'll definitely do that!
    We also shopped around.  Also went to a rural vet.  He was 1.5 hours away, but came highly recommended.  He was 1/3 the cost of our vets around us (which is pretty rural itself, but an expensive area).    He didn't nickel and dime us either.  The cost included all pills, follow-up, everything.

Definitely look around.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @MissKittyDanger, He is on a plethora of medication (4x a day!): diuretics to flush the fluid, a couple of heart medications to slow the progression of the disease, etc.  He's a cuddlebucket, and his ideal day is spent in my lap, so keeping him quiet is fairly easy.  I believe in quality of life, 100%, so as long as he continues to live a full and happy life free of pain and discomfort, I am happy.

@DrillSergeantCat, sorry to hear about your kitty. I hope you are able to find a workable solution.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• @AtomicBlonde  you are such a good doggy mum :)
  • Sorry about the sick pets!  My little old lady kitty has both kidney problems and diabetes, and I know exactly how expensive specialized pet care can be.  

@VarunaTT: Sorry about the job search frustration!  I got some bad-ish news myself yesterday on that front.  I found out that I officially didn't get the most recent job I interviewed for.  I was 90% sure I would turn it down even if it was offered, but now I have this weird situation where even a crummy job I didn't want rejected me, so that's not exactly easy on the ego or promising in general.

I'm busy this weekend and I wish I wasn't.  Last night FI and I went to a really cool food and drink tasting event that his old company used to help produce. He went so above and beyond for them that they still hook him up with free tickets each year.  This was our fourth year attending, and I had a blast, but I had to work late, rush to the thing, then go back to work and finish a report until almost midnight.  Then tonight after work is a client meet-and-greet where we have a box at a college hockey game.  I don't care one iota about sports, but there will be booze and food and clients so hopefully it will be a good time.  That runs until 10-ish, and after that I am trying to fit in drinks with an old friend from a college study abroad program.  I haven't seen her in 8 years, and she is in my city for a conference.  Then Saturday I have to work for a couple of hours greeting guests before yet another college sporting event. The timing isn't great, but I get a comp half-day for a couple of hours' work and that was the last bit of PTO I needed for my upcoming Milan trip.  

Sunday I take FI to the hanger to fly out for yet another business trip.  He just got home from California on Wednesday and he's off to DC this weekend. Then a couple of days at home and he flies to the Virgin Islands.  There are also trips to Pennsylvania, Boston, NYC, and California in the next month and a half.  It's great that he has clients popping up in all these places, but it's getting a little absurd.  A couple of years ago he had maybe 2-4 travel opportunities per year and now things just keep accelerating. He's a one-man team with all these bases to cover and it's starting to weigh on him.
  • GBCK said:
    FWIW, pet surgeries are easier to shop around than human surgeries.
    It's a mixed bag...but we got Dawg's surgery for less than 10% of the first quoted price.
    We went to a large rural vet that basically does orthapedic surgery all day, every day, instead of MSU/Okemos (and our vet was quite OK w/ this--they're the ones who said they wanted us to go elsewhere--they said they'd be to expensive and that they don't do enough of them to be awesome at them)

If you call around, the worst they can say is no--ask friends and family who they like as vets (we used MIL's former vet for this one)

I know, if only I could find an OB/GYN to "spay" me for $80.

@DrillSergeantCat and @AtomicBlonde, sending over well wishes for your pets.

@Varuna, so sorry to hear about your interview disappointment.  I just started the "find another job" journey.  I know it gets frustrating and suckage.  Keep in mind that the end of the year is a tough time to find a job anyway and hang in there.  Hopefully the new year will arrive with an abundance of openings as companies have "fresh" budgets.  Also check for temporary holiday gigs, like sampling/demonstrating.

On my pet news, I'm taking in the dog and the cat today for their rabies shots.  Or as my H and I like to affectionately call them, "the whores".

Then on Sat., I'm taking the dog in to a new Petco that just opened in my area for a shampoo and cut.  She will not like either the vet or the grooming visit and will pretend to be mildly traumatized and betrayed.

I received a text from my mom a little earlier.  One of her longtime friends passed away.  She had a tough life, medically speaking.  She lost her kidneys at the age of 20 from an infection due to strep throat.  She took great care of herself and I think its amazing she lived into her 60s, but I know that isn't much comfort to her family and friends.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know, if only I could find an OB/GYN to "spay" me for $80.

@Varuna, so sorry to hear about your interview disappointment.  I just started the "find another job" journey.  I know it gets frustrating and suckage.  Keep in mind that the end of the year is a tough time to find a job anyway and hang in there.  Hopefully the new year will arrive with an abundance of openings as companies have "fresh" budgets.  Also check for temporary holiday gigs, like sampling/demonstrating.

On my pet news, I'm taking in the dog and the cat today for their rabies shots.  Or as my H and I like to affectionately call them, "the whores".

Then on Sat., I'm taking the dog in to a new Petco that just opened in my area for a shampoo and cut.  She will not like either the vet or the grooming visit and will pretend to be mildly traumatized and betrayed.

I received a text from my mom a little earlier.  One of her longtime friends passed away.  She had a tough life, medically speaking.  She lost her kidneys at the age of 20 from an infection due to strep throat.  She took great care of herself and I think its amazing she lived into her 60s, but I know that isn't much comfort to her family and friends.

I feel like there's a story to bolded ;)

Sorry to hear about your mum's friend :(

• Wait, you're an OMH now and I missed it!  Congrats!
    Hehe, 2 weeks tomorrow. Shameless AW? Sure thing ;)

Absolutely gorgeous!
  • I love it, and just posted in it @kimmiinthemitten. It's what's keeping me sane until the election. 
  • I love it, and just posted in it @kimmiinthemitten. It's what's keeping me sane until the election. 
    Haha, I was planning on doing the same Tuesday!  Love that board.
  • @kimmiinthemitten is the group gone?? I can't see it anymore. 
  • @charlotte989875 I will join you in that wine! Your hair looks great!

• @charlotte989875 I will join you in that wine! Your hair looks great!
    Thanks! I'm so glad I didn't chicken out. 
  • Kendall Jackson Chardonnay and Pantsuit Nation...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1053145458116389/

• Kendall Jackson Chardonnay and Pantsuit Nation...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1053145458116389/

I went with a Louis Jadot Pinot Noir. And Pansuit Nation, with a side of Master of None. 
  • Hugs and healing vibes all around!
  • I know, if only I could find an OB/GYN to "spay" me for $80.

I feel like there's a story to bolded ;)

Sorry to hear about your mum's friend :(

Lol, no, no story really.  It just references their unabashed begging for whatever it is they want...food, treats, and/or affection.

If we're talking about both of them together, we call them the "menagerie."  We also turned that word into a verb.  If both of them together have climbed onto or near one of us it's, "Look!  I've been menage'd."

Wedding Countdown Ticker