Wedding Woes

Post-post election hangover?

2»

Re: Post-post election hangover?

• mrsconn23 said:
    One more thought...

I am not a person who declares a party, ever.  I don't vote straight ticket and probably never will.  I'm politically fluid.  

Dollars to doughnuts, there are more people like me than people who are straight ticket/one-issue voters.  
    Good point.

I'm not a one-issue voter either.   I think most people vote based on their priorities at the time.   For most people they change each cycle and thus vote accordingly.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Yesterday, I decided to spend my entire day on the sofa watching news and/or reading a lot of articles on why Hillary lost.    

There are some really good articles out there.  Surprisingly not basing her for the emails.   They basically say that her catering to Hollywood, basically calling rural america deplorable and not even listening to them lost her the race.

Their industries are shut down. Their towns are shutting down.  New jobs are coming in the way of the service industry which are not only low paying, it can not be sustained in such small markets.  The alternative people give them is to just move. 

They are being shamed because they are spiritual.  They tend to be hunters so they own guns and thus are huge 2nd amendments supporters.    

The perception is the coasts (particularly NYC metro and LA metro) are where the cool kids live. Their opinions are more worthy.  The fly-over states are considered the uncool kids.  They are viewed as stupid and uneducated by they coasts.  This election was the uncool kids revolting for being what they perceive as ignored.

Well, I'm not sure I'm behind all of the above, but it should make you think.   Urban and rural needs are different. To the voters in rural area Trump was the only one who wanted to listen.  Hillary was too busy hanging out with actors, musicians and fashion designers.  Again that was their perception and they came out in force say we also want to be heard.  

On other note, some 4 million less people voted for this election.  Some people completely wrote off Trump could win they just didn't bother to vote at all.  

That doesn't even take into consideration that we have an overall embarrassing voter turn out rate to begin start out with. People need to get out there and vote.  And for the love of god, not just for the president.   Local, county and state elections count.  Hell, count even more.     And elections are NOT just for political office.  There are amendments and bills to be voted on also.
    Yes. All of this. 

Also, cracked.com has done and is doing *great* coverage.   I listened to this prior to the election and it made a shit-ton of sense to me:  soundcloud.com/crackedpod/trump-country

Voting is emotional for everyone.  There's no one who votes 100% based off practicality, feelings are always involved.

If you feel marginalized by someone and someone else is talking you up and telling you there's 'great plans' in store for you, there's a LOT of shit people will forgive (rightly or wrongly).  How many other elections have we heard that voting is about the 'lesser of two evils'?  If Trump is telling them that they will be prosperous again without being told they need to move to find opportunity, well then it's easy to gloss over pussy/wall-building/etc. talk because he's going to put money in your pocket.  He's going to make YOUR community 'great again'.  

Just because people don't have college degrees (hello, I'm one of those people) doesn't mean they're stupid.  It's a very frustrating thing to hear, honestly.  I feel I'm quite successful without a degree.  DH and I are making more money per year than his parent's ever made and we're definitely at a higher income than my parent's were at our ages.   

So yeah, I do understand the anger to some degree.  I can see the missteps. 

Thanks for these posts.  I admit I don't relate to the rural life/small town communities.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  I've simply never lived in or very near to that type of community.

On the subject of college, that was always the path for me.  But it's ignorant and blood boiling to downgrade someone or think they're stupid if that wasn't the path for them.

Sorry, personal anecdote.  I have a Bachelor's myself, but take that attitude very personally.  My father was a blue collar worker, with no college degree.  But he was very intelligent and one of the most self educated people I have ever met.  He was non-partisan, but leaned liberal.  I once saw him reading Newt Gingrich's (at the time) new book.  I was surprised, because I knew he despised him, and asked him why.  He told me, "How do I know that I don't like him if I don't know what he says?"

I fail at digging deeper into issues and people, like he did, but I try to at least understand where both sides are coming from.       

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh @VarunaTT , I am glad you checked in.   I was thinking about you yesterday.  I was hoping to hear from you.  I am sorry for your heartbreak. Truly, truly sorry.  <3<3<3

Take care and know you've got a shit-ton of allies right here. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2016

Thanks for these posts.  I admit I don't relate to the rural life/small town communities.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  I've simply never lived in or very near to that type of community.

On the subject of college, that was always the path for me.  But it's ignorant and blood boiling to downgrade someone or think they're stupid if that wasn't the path for them.

Sorry, personal anecdote.  I have a Bachelor's myself, but take that attitude very personally.  My father was a blue collar worker, with no college degree.  But he was very intelligent and one of the most self educated people I have ever met.  He was non-partisan, but leaned liberal.  I once saw him reading Newt Gingrich's (at the time) new book.  I was surprised, because I knew he despised him, and asked him why.  He told me, "How do I know that I don't like him if I don't know what he says?"

I fail at digging deeper into issues and people, like he did, but I try to at least understand where both sides are coming from.       

I come from a mixed political and economic family.  Even my friends are mixed of different views.   We have always remained civil to each other even though our opinions are different.  We respect each other and often get the other to see our side. Sometimes we just agree to disagree.   

I've had the privilege to live in both cities and small towns.  I've lived in wealthy areas and not so wealthy areas.  I've live in the mid-atlantic states, NOLA, NC and the very mid-west city of Indy.  I spent over 15 years in a small caribbean island that had rampant violence (yet strict gun laws) and major corruption.

Right now I live in a wealthy small town, with lot of hispanic immigrants  (some legal, some not) and everyone but us it seems owns a gun to go hunting.  There is little violence or crimes in general here.  People seem to respect each other. 

You will never see me block people because of their political views.  I never want to put myself in a eco-chamber of only hearing liked minded ideas.  I think that is just as dangerous.   I want to see what they are saying, I want to hear their perceptions.    Sometimes they are offensive, sometimes just eye-rolling sometimes I'm like ummm, never thought about that point of view before and adjust my own thinking.

I think more people need to stop blocking, get out of their eco-chamber and listen to what others are saying.  This goes for all sides.  Shaming people doesn't work.   Talking down to people doesn't work.   Shutting out opposing views doesn't work.   

On another note,  this will not be the first election that didn't go your [general you] way.  It will not be the last.   Everyone goes through this cycle of winning and losing.  The pendulum is always swinging back and forth.  

We are fortunately to live in a country that a change of power doesn't require violence.  There is always a new election out there. The will be local elections next year.   2 years from now  its new election for some house/senate position.  In 4 years is another election for president.  Governors are thrown in there somewhere.  Get out there and try again.  It's part of cycle.  

ETA - not sure why it's not collapsing my quote tree?   Sorry.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2016
    lyndausvi said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    Yesterday, I decided to spend my entire day on the sofa watching news and/or reading a lot of articles on why Hillary lost.    

There are some really good articles out there.  Surprisingly not basing her for the emails.   They basically say that her catering to Hollywood, basically calling rural america deplorable and not even listening to them lost her the race.

Their industries are shut down. Their towns are shutting down.  New jobs are coming in the way of the service industry which are not only low paying, it can not be sustained in such small markets.  The alternative people give them is to just move. 

They are being shamed because they are spiritual.  They tend to be hunters so they own guns and thus are huge 2nd amendments supporters.    

The perception is the coasts (particularly NYC metro and LA metro) are where the cool kids live. Their opinions are more worthy.  The fly-over states are considered the uncool kids.  They are viewed as stupid and uneducated by they coasts.  This election was the uncool kids revolting for being what they perceive as ignored.

Well, I'm not sure I'm behind all of the above, but it should make you think.   Urban and rural needs are different. To the voters in rural area Trump was the only one who wanted to listen.  Hillary was too busy hanging out with actors, musicians and fashion designers.  Again that was their perception and they came out in force say we also want to be heard.  

On other note, some 4 million less people voted for this election.  Some people completely wrote off Trump could win they just didn't bother to vote at all.  

That doesn't even take into consideration that we have an overall embarrassing voter turn out rate to begin start out with. People need to get out there and vote.  And for the love of god, not just for the president.   Local, county and state elections count.  Hell, count even more.     And elections are NOT just for political office.  There are amendments and bills to be voted on also.
    Yes. All of this. 

Also, cracked.com has done and is doing *great* coverage.   I listened to this prior to the election and it made a shit-ton of sense to me:  soundcloud.com/crackedpod/trump-country

Voting is emotional for everyone.  There's no one who votes 100% based off practicality, feelings are always involved.

If you feel marginalized by someone and someone else is talking you up and telling you there's 'great plans' in store for you, there's a LOT of shit people will forgive (rightly or wrongly).  How many other elections have we heard that voting is about the 'lesser of two evils'?  If Trump is telling them that they will be prosperous again without being told they need to move to find opportunity, well then it's easy to gloss over pussy/wall-building/etc. talk because he's going to put money in your pocket.  He's going to make YOUR community 'great again'.  

Just because people don't have college degrees (hello, I'm one of those people) doesn't mean they're stupid.  It's a very frustrating thing to hear, honestly.  I feel I'm quite successful without a degree.  DH and I are making more money per year than his parent's ever made and we're definitely at a higher income than my parent's were at our ages.   

So yeah, I do understand the anger to some degree.  I can see the missteps. 

I come from a mixed political and economic family.  Even my friends are mixed of different views.   We have always remained civil to each other even though our opinions are different.  We respect each other and often get the other to see our side. Sometimes we just agree to disagree.   

I've had the privilege to live in both cities and small towns.  I've lived in wealthy areas and not so wealthy areas.  I've live in the mid-atlantic states, NOLA, NC and the very mid-west city of Indy.  I spent over 15 years in a small caribbean island that had rampant violence (yet strict gun laws) and major corruption.

Right now I live in a wealthy small town, with lot of hispanic immigrants  (some legal, some not) and everyone but us it seems owns a gun to go hunting.  There is little violence or crimes in general here.  People seem to respect each other. 

You will never see me block people because of their political views.  I never want to put myself in a eco-chamber of only hearing liked minded ideas.  I think that is just as dangerous.   I want to see what they are saying, I want to hear their perceptions.    Sometimes they are offensive, sometimes just eye-rolling sometimes I'm like ummm, never thought about that point of view before and adjust my own thinking.

I think more people need to stop blocking, get out of their eco-chamber and listen to what others are saying.  This goes for all sides.  Shaming people doesn't work.   Talking down to people doesn't work.   Shutting out opposing views doesn't work.   

On another note,  this will not be the first election that didn't go your [general you] way.  It will not be the last.   Everyone goes through this cycle of winning and losing.  The pendulum is always swinging back and forth.  

We are fortunately to live in a country that a change of power doesn't require violence.  There is always a new election out there. The will be local elections next year.   2 years from now  its new election for some house/senate position.  In 4 years is another election for president.  Governors are thrown in there somewhere.  Get out there and try again.  It's part of cycle.  
    That's where I live!  :D 

I just got done with this podcast: 

Again, cracked does an excellent job and basically is saying everything you're saying.  

The political pendulum swings both ways and sometimes when it does, it seems fast and furious.  This is the time to look at why it swung this way and if you don't like it, try to listen and see what you can do to change it.   This has been simmering for a long time now. 

• @mrsconn23  - I like Indy.  Nice town.  We lived in the Fountain Square area.    Although I like the mountains better. 

I do not listent to podcasts often. I will have to check out cracked.

• lyndausvi said:

@mrsconn23  - I like Indy.  Nice town.  We lived in the Fountain Square area.    Although I like the mountains better. 

Fountain Square is really experiencing a resurgence of popularity.  Lots of fixing up going on (there's an HGVC show with a mother/daughter team) and so many cool bars and restaurants.  It's one of my fave neighborhoods to go out in.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:

@mrsconn23  - I like Indy.  Nice town.  We lived in the Fountain Square area.    Although I like the mountains better. 

Fountain Square is really experiencing a resurgence of popularity.  Lots of fixing up going on (there's an HGVC show with a mother/daughter team) and so many cool bars and restaurants.  It's one of my fave neighborhoods to go out in.  
    We lived next door to Bluebeard's.    Great restaurant. 

• lyndausvi said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:

YES!  I've been there.  Loved it. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    lyndausvi said:

YES!  I've been there.  Loved it. 
    I know a lot of people like that place but somehow I've never made it there for a meal 
  • @VarunaTT Hugs!  Glad you checked in.  We are all here with you, but I can imagine the heartache.  

A few of my cousins in my close knit family have posted some pretty hurtful things in the past couple days, especially about people on assistance.  They seem to believe that the people they know are exceptions to the rule while totally ignoring that their aunts and cousins fit in some of those bubbles.  I hope the tax break was worth damaging your relationships.
  • One little silver lining for me personally in this shit sandwich: I have been using this as the opportunity I needed to come out to more people as bi/queer.  I am virtually always read as straight, since I am marrying an opposite-sex partner and I am pretty gender-conforming and substantially femme of center. Moreover, I don't have any serious female exes that I could just drop into conversation to set the record straight.  So it's been difficult for me to figure out how to actually come out to more casual friends and people at work; I'm not hiding anything, but it feels weird to just bring it up.  

Anyhow, this turn of events gives me the opening to just casually drop in "as a woman, and a queer woman at that, I am affected by this in X ways."

So...yay?  Tiny yay?

Huge yay!  Be the most authentic you you can!
  • For those who still want to move to Canada, a few things you should know {that I forgot}

A few links. The youtube/song is more of a funny one, but still accurate ;)

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/99-reasons-why-its-better-to-be-canadian/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E064kb3UnU

Hopefully it'll cheer you up, but know that Canada is always an option. We will welcome you with open arms and snacks!

I do just a little bit love that this election brought down Canada's website about immigration.

While I was watching the election coverage, my news channel had a brief talk with a Canadian immigration attorney.  He said they got a lot of inquiries from the U.S. during the primaries.  Then things died down.  Now there was a huge surge again.  He also went over some of the requirements.

There was a lot of "I'm moving to Canada" when Obama was first elected also.  Which I did find puzzling.  Really, Mr./Ms. Republican.  What is it you like best about Canada as opposed to the U.S.?  Their stricter gun laws, their universal health care, and/or the legalization of same sex marriage?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One little silver lining for me personally in this shit sandwich: I have been using this as the opportunity I needed to come out to more people as bi/queer.  I am virtually always read as straight, since I am marrying an opposite-sex partner and I am pretty gender-conforming and substantially femme of center. Moreover, I don't have any serious female exes that I could just drop into conversation to set the record straight.  So it's been difficult for me to figure out how to actually come out to more casual friends and people at work; I'm not hiding anything, but it feels weird to just bring it up.  

Anyhow, this turn of events gives me the opening to just casually drop in "as a woman, and a queer woman at that, I am affected by this in X ways."

So...yay?  Tiny yay?

I think that's a big yay.