Wedding Woes

Oh academia and your firsty-FWPs.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited November 2016 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,
I just reconnected with a former teacher, now a successful businessman who wants to mentor me in my new field. He has invited me to a holiday party. Also in attendance will be his much less talented brother, recently fired from his job as university president at my alma mater after two years of incompetence, during which he wrecked the endowment and alienated the faculty.

I was on the alumni club committee that urged his ouster. The letters were signed by the entire alumni club, but it wouldn’t be too hard for him to figure out my role. Turning down the mentorship offer is difficult since it is an honor to be singled out by this man, and, “Sorry, I can’t accept this invitation because I helped get your brother fired” could make the party somewhat awkward. Should I think up an excuse, come down with the flu at the last minute, or can you think of an alternative?

—You’re Great, but Your Brother’s an Idiot

Re: Oh academia and your firsty-FWPs.

• Take him up on the offer. You, I assume, headed the ousting of his brother for the betterment of the school and not as some sort of personal vendetta and shouldn't be ashamed of that.