Wedding Woes

Which of these venues do you like best?

panwinpanwin member
First Comment
edited December 2016 in Wedding Woes
Hi!

I'm having a hard time picking a venue, so I'm getting opinions from everywhere! Based on looks, which do you like best and least?

https://m.imgur.com/a/KZvCO - Mint Springs Farm & Meadow Hill Farm
http://imgur.com/xFok4LZ - Homestead Manor

Also, which venue do you think guests would like the most? Which one has the most "wow factor"?

Meadow Hill was renovated to be for weddings. Mint Springs was built for weddings & Homestead Manor was built for events. Mint Springs & Homestead Manor are all inclusive, so I don't have to hire any vendors or do any work. It ends up costing more than if I hired all my own vendors, though. For example, Mint Springs would cost 50K, and Meadow Hill would cost 30K (for me personally - with all the stuff I want). 
Do you think it's worth it to pay more for the peace of mind at the all inclusives, knowing everything will run smoothly?

Does it matter much to guests if your wedding is a 45 minute drive, instead of a 20 minute drive?

Re: Which of these venues do you like best?

• The first two were my favorites just based on pictures- I looked at them very quickly - there were so many! The Graystone Quarry was very pretty but I question the stone seats with pillows - please tell me those aren't the seating for guests!! That would be awful and a deal breaker for me. The third was my least favorite. All this is just personal preference though.

Does all inclusive include a wedding planner too? If I liked two venues equally, I would go with a cheaper one and hire a wedding planner to make sure things ran smoothly.

Distance would definitely be a factor. By a 45 minute drive to you mean from where the majority of the guests are staying (hotel/lodge)? 45 mins is too long of a drive if people have had to come from OOT, stay at a hotel and drive to the venue. This is especially a concern if people will be drinking at the reception and driving back to hotel. If just a couple of guests live 45 mins. from the venue then that is an entirely different thing.
  • Thanks for the reply!

The rock seating is on one of the two patios Graystone has, its for cocktail hour. But there are other chairs they put out too. 

The all inclusives do include wedding planners. 

I agree with the drunk driving. That's my fear. I do have a lot of out of town guests, and they'll be staying in the same area as all my in town guests, which is 45 minutes from the venue. If I pick that venue than I'll be hiring shuttles for the guests. 

Mint Springs & Meadow Hill are my current favorites. Almost everyone I've asked says Mint Springs is their favorite, and most people have ranked Meadow Hill as their third or least favorite. I love them both equally, so I'm genuinely curious - what is it about Mint Springs that makes it most people's favorite? And what is it about Meadow Hill that makes it least favorite? 
  • Thanks for the reply!

The rock seating is on one of the two patios Graystone has, its for cocktail hour. But there are other chairs they put out too. 

The all inclusives do include wedding planners. 

I agree with the drunk driving. That's my fear. I do have a lot of out of town guests, and they'll be staying in the same area as all my in town guests, which is 45 minutes from the venue. If I pick that venue than I'll be hiring shuttles for the guests. 

Mint Springs & Meadow Hill are my current favorites. Almost everyone I've asked says Mint Springs is their favorite, and most people have ranked Meadow Hill as their third or least favorite. I love them both equally, so I'm genuinely curious - what is it about Mint Springs that makes it most people's favorite? And what is it about Meadow Hill that makes it least favorite? 
    I think the ceremony and reception spaces--the places your guests will care about--are nicest at Mint Springs, whereas at Meadow Hill, there are gaps between the wood walls where you can see outside, and the building looks old and more like it's falling apart--if it was cold or rainy, for example, I feel like that would affect the indoor space in that case.  That's probably why people like it the least.
  • One and four are my favorites. A few questions the might help narrow it down; what do you get in the all inclusive v. not? I did all inclusive (all set-up/take-down, DoC, linens, decor (they had a TON to choose from), everything, and I loved it, for me it was worth it. What are the PP prices at each place? Any significantly higher or lower? What comes in the packages (top shelf open bar, passed apps, how many courses etc.)? 

Can all four fit all your guests (with room for you, your vendors, DJ/band)? How close are hotel accommodations? You say some are 45 minutes from guests v. 20 minutes? Are there any places to stay onsite for guests or in the same town? Shuttles are great if you can provide them. Are there cabs or Uber nearby?

Are there minimum charges at any locations? We ruled out a few venues because the room minimums were higher (we would have met them, but the feeling that we had too was annoying). Are there time restrictions on any of them; i.e. When can you get in, when do you have to have everything out?

Im not usually a barn wedding fan, but with the first one it looks like a venue structured after a barn with modern amenities, whereas Meadow Hill definitely looks like an actual barn that has been redone and doesn't have the same feel to me. It feels more rustic and basic (and like it could be transformed back to a barn easily) whereas the others look like venues to me. Hate not a good or bad thing, but maybe why you're getting that reaction. 

Overall these are beautiful venues and you can't really go wrong. Think about what you're getting with each of them for what you're paying and what one has the feel you want for your event. 
  • For me Meadow Hill is too rustic. I'm not a fan of the look. I'm also not a fan of outdoor ceremonies - again personal preference. I worry too much about weather. I think the other venues - especially Graystone Quarry - look more elegant. Knowing that the stone seats aren't the only seats would make that my first choice - budget not withstanding. It all depends on your personal preference and budget as long as all your guests are taken care of with enough seats, food and drink. I agree on the shuttles - we did that for DD's wedding and it was only a 25 (or less) min drive from reception venue to hotels.
  • Strictly based on the pictures, I like #1 best and #4 second.
  • Hi!

I'm having a hard time picking a venue, so I'm getting opinions from everywhere! Based on looks, which do you like best and least?

Also, which venue do you think guests would like the most? Which one has the most "wow factor"?

They are all fairly new. Mint Springs, Graystone Quarry, & Sycamore Farms were all built specifically for weddings. Meadow Hill was renovated to be for weddings. Mint Springs & Graystone Quarry are all inclusive, so I don't have to hire any vendors or do any work. They end up costing more than if I hired all my own vendors, though. For example, Mint Springs & Graystone would cost 50K, and Meadow Hill would cost 30K (for me personally - with all the stuff I want). 
    Do you think it's worth it to pay more for the peace of mind at the all inclusives, knowing everything will run smoothly?

Does it matter much to guests if your wedding is a 45 minute drive, instead of a 20 minute drive?

Okay, for some unfortunate reason, nothing after the first several pics of Mint Springs Farm is showing up (my office blocks things seemingly at random).  So I will have to limit my comments to your more general questions, except to say that

1. What I saw of the first two was lovely.
    2. For me, the bride/groom areas weren't that big of a deal--you want something nice, not a broom closet, but at the end of the day, it's just a place to hang out and get ready.  I would focus mostly on the ceremony and reception locations, assuming the B/G suites meet your baseline expectations.
    3. For Sycamore Farms, where will the ceremony be held in case of inclement weather?
    4. What time of year will your wedding take place? 
    5. All else being equal, it would be better not to have to walk outside to get from the ceremony to the reception, in case of bad weather.  (Or from the bridal suite to the ceremony, for that matter.)  For me, this is a big minus for Mint Springs compared to Sycamore Farms. 

As to all-inclusive vs. not, I think it depends on a) how much you like their options (i.e. love the dinner menu vs. meh), and b) how busy you are/how much your time is worth to you.  If they are a wedding venue, then even if they're not all-inclusive, they should have enough experience hosting weddings that working with outside vendors isn't an issue.  (I would, however, look for vendors who have worked that venue before, so they know what to expect.)   

For me, in general I would prefer 20 minutes to 45.  Not a fan of shuttles, personally.  If we have to drive, then one of us is DD (not for the whole night, just typically after dinner or whatever, depending on how long we're planning on staying).  But we're not huge drinkers anyway, so this may depend on your crowd.

• Thank you all so much for all your opinions and advice so far. I definitely appreciate it! 

Heffalump - at Sycamore Farms their rain plan is to hold the ceremony on the patio. I don't have an exact date yet. I haven't decided which season I want! Lol. And at Mint Springs they have a limo with a driver that drives the bride and bridal party to the ceremony space. Why don't you like shuttles?
  • Heffalump - Forgot to say this! When you're on the link to the images, scroll all the way down, and at the bottom of the page you should see something that says "load 19 remaining images"
  • panwin said:
    Thank you all so much for all your opinions and advice so far. I definitely appreciate it! 

Heffalump - at Sycamore Farms their rain plan is to hold the ceremony on the patio. I don't have an exact date yet. I haven't decided which season I want! Lol. And at Mint Springs they have a limo with a driver that drives the bride and bridal party to the ceremony space. Why don't you like shuttles?
    I'm also not a huge fan of shuttles, although I do prefer them to nothing at all. 

All the shuttles I've used have had specific run times. For example if your reception runs from 6-11, the shuttle runs begin at 10:30 until after the reception. Or there are only a few pick-up/drop-off times, which mean you have to leave exactly when they are ready to go. If you're tired/want to leave early, you're stuck. Rarely have I seen shuttles run throughout the entire reception. 
  • panwin said:
    Thank you all so much for all your opinions and advice so far. I definitely appreciate it! 

I'm also not a huge fan of shuttles, although I do prefer them to nothing at all. 

All the shuttles I've used have had specific run times. For example if your reception runs from 6-11, the shuttle runs begin at 10:30 until after the reception. Or there are only a few pick-up/drop-off times, which mean you have to leave exactly when they are ready to go. If you're tired/want to leave early, you're stuck. Rarely have I seen shuttles run throughout the entire reception. 

To your question, OP, this is exactly why I don't like shuttles.

Also, it's cool that a limo drives the bride to the ceremony space, but what happens when the ceremony is over, it's time for everyone to move to the reception, and it's pouring rain?

• I'm with @MNNEBride on this too.  Based on pictures, 1 and then 4 get my vote.

• I really liked #1.  It is very nice.  

#2 is an interesting choice because each of the spaces is already covered (so no backup plan for weather would be needed).  Although I am not a huge fan of receptions in barns and it looks like maybe they split the guests between the downstairs and upstairs?  If that's true, that would be a deal breaker for me.  

#3's ceremony and reception spaces would really require perfect weather.  If you aren't sure what season you are looking at, you would probably have to eliminate winter all together.  It also doesn't "look" like a $30k space, IMO.

#4 has the most modern look of the 4.  I would figure out what vibe you are going for and pick from there.  If you want a "rustic" wedding, this probably wouldn't be the "best" choice of the 4.  

Also, a $20k difference in pricing is HUGE.  What do you get for that $20k?  If you pay that for all inclusive, what does it include?  Food, drinks, set-up, tear down, cake, event planner, music?  What would be left for you to still pay for?  Officiant and photog come to mind.

Finally, I would pick the one closer to town so people don't have to drive as far.  

• I think all the PPs have given some great advice to consider.  For me venue priority went as such.

1:  Is it within the budget?
    2:  Will it hold my entire guest list with room to spare? (NOTE my list included all SO (mandatory) and Plus Ones for all singles (in case of relationships).  Also add yourself and vendors to this number!) 
    3:  Will this space be convenient to my guests?  How far will people have to travel form their hotels?  Can they navigate the property from the parking area?  (Handicapped/elderly guests included)  How close are restrooms to everything?
    4:  If the Ceremony will be outside, does it take into account guest comfort?  Will the guests/or I be staring into the sun?  Are there a lot of insects?  Are there any unpleasant smells in the space?  Will it be climate controlled and what is the alternate due to heat/cold/rain?
    5:  How will everything flow on the wedding day?  Will the guests have to walk far between events?  Where will the food station(s), Bar(s), Tables and Chairs be placed at each space to allow comfort and flow?

In general the people you invite to your wedding will not remember "wow factor" or pretty backgrounds.  They will remember how they were treated.  If the locations are within a reasonable distance, no one has a hard time navigating the property, that the wedding wasn't too hot/too cold...these are the important factors. 

I went through many many venues before I found the one!  And the one we picked was probably the least picturesque, but it scored the highest in the 5 points above...and that is what mattered.  Add in some good food and good music and our wedding is still the most talked about amongst our family and friends. (and we have all been to scores of weddings!)

• SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2016
    Greystone Quarry is a completely different aesthetic from the other three.  I'd say knock that one off the list, since it's at the top of the price scale and doesn't seem to have the look you are going for.  I don't know you personally so I could be wrong, but I from what you have posted I can't see any reason why you would choose Greystone over Mint Springs if you decide you want to spend that much.

I see that one of the areas at Meadow Hill is labeled "dance room."  Does that mean that there is no space in the main reception area for dancing?  If guests have to go into another room to dance that would be a deal breaker for me.  I think having people in separate rooms would really kill a lot of the atmosphere.  If dancing can be in the same room I would most likely pick this one since it's roughly half the cost of Mint Springs.  I don't like the setup as much, particularly the outdoor spaces, but I don't think the others are worth THAT much more.

What is the cost comparison of Sycamore Farms versus Mint Springs?  I like Mint Springs best because the main spaces all seem to have roofs and floors, which is great for guest comfort.  But 50K is an immense amount to spend on a wedding, so I would probably pick Sycamore Farms if it was significantly cheaper.
  • @SaintPaulGal I went to a wedding recently where the DJ and dancing were in an adjoining room.  It was super awkward and almost no one went in there.

• At Meadow Hill the dancing is usually done in the adjoining room. This very short video shows how the rooms are connected: 

I think you could dance in the dining room, you just wouldn't have much space. Here's another picture of the dining space: 
  • I'm not able to view the video, but I can't think of any way two separate rooms could be connected that wouldn't be a deal breaker.  I would never pay a bunch of money for a wedding reception where dancing had to be sequestered away in a different room.
  • SaintPaulGal said: What is the cost comparison of Sycamore Farms versus Mint Springs?  I like Mint Springs best because the main spaces all seem to have roofs and floors, which is great for guest comfort.  But 50K is an immense amount to spend on a wedding, so I would probably pick Sycamore Farms if it was significantly cheaper.
    Sycamore Farms would probably cost me 5K to 7K more than Meadow Hill because it all you get with the rental price is the venue, no tables or chairs like Meadow Hill. It's also a way bigger space so I think I would want more decor/flowers. They also have a preferred vendors list unlike Meadow Hill, so not being able to pick my own vendors makes it more expensive. However, it would still cost less than Mint Springs. 

I don't particularly care for Sycamore Farms ceremony space because the pergola seems unnecessaryily big, and the spot is right in the sun. There's a little Chapel about 5 minutes down the road from Sycamore Farms, and I was thinking if I did choose Sycamore than I could have the ceremony at the chapel and reception at Sycamore. And also get ready at Sycamore since they have nice wedding suites. Here's the chapel. Is this a good or bad idea?  

• panwin said:
    SaintPaulGal said: What is the cost comparison of Sycamore Farms versus Mint Springs?  I like Mint Springs best because the main spaces all seem to have roofs and floors, which is great for guest comfort.  But 50K is an immense amount to spend on a wedding, so I would probably pick Sycamore Farms if it was significantly cheaper.
    Sycamore Farms would probably cost me 5K to 7K more than Meadow Hill because it all you get with the rental price is the venue, no tables or chairs like Meadow Hill. It's also a way bigger space so I think I would want more decor/flowers. They also have a preferred vendors list unlike Meadow Hill, so not being able to pick my own vendors makes it more expensive. However, it would still cost less than Mint Springs. 

I don't particularly care for Sycamore Farms ceremony space because the pergola seems unnecessaryily big, and the spot is right in the sun. There's a little Chapel about 5 minutes down the road from Sycamore Farms, and I was thinking if I did choose Sycamore than I could have the ceremony at the chapel and reception at Sycamore. And also get ready at Sycamore since they have nice wedding suites. Here's the chapel. Is this a good or bad idea?  

Personally I would wonder why you had your ceremony at a different place than your reception if the other place offered both...but I might be the weird one here.

Does the space cost the same if you have the ceremony there or not?  Can you see the ceremony space from the reception space? 

I'm all for efficiency, so I would rather do everything at one venue then have to coordinate with two different locations, deal with timing of events, delivery of flowers at two places, and all that jazz...just my opinion though. 

• If the chapel and the reception venue really are just 5 minutes apart I think that is a great solution.  It's a personal thing, but I myself am not a fan of outdoor weddings.  I like to be outdoors in general, but the downsides of having the actual event do add up: heels in grass, hard to hear, sun in eyes, either too windy or oppressively still, too hot/cold for comfort, rain, damp from rain yesterday, birds dropping "bombs," chairs sinking into the earth, sad ugly grass from everyone walking on it...I think inside is a lot more pleasant.
  • I'm not able to view the video, but I can't think of any way two separate rooms could be connected that wouldn't be a deal breaker.  I would never pay a bunch of money for a wedding reception where dancing had to be sequestered away in a different room.
    Hopefully this one works. Here's a video that I slowed down that shows the room transition:

http://sendvid.com/95ca6379
  • I also have a few other venues I like. They got pushed down on my favorites list for different reasons. None of them are my perfect venue, but I do still like these ones and would consider them. 

The Grove:

Homestead Manor:

Long Hollow Gardens:

Allenbrooke Farms (it's currently being built so I don't have real pictures of it besides its sketch. I found pictures that matched the owners description of how the venue will look):

Tuckers Gap (I have not been here yet, but I'm planning to tour it):

Do any of you guys like/dislike these?
  • Me personally?  I haaaate The Grove.  It looks dingy.  This is admittedly a snobby thing to say, but if you chose that one you would probably spend 20k to look like you spend 2.  I come from a tiny farming town and know people who got married in locations like that, but it's because their family owned the property and it was all they could afford.  I don't judge them at all for being frugal, but I would never pay to rent a space like this.

I also don't particularly care for Tucker's Gap. It doesn't seem to have much character. 
  • I love Homestead Manor - I would actually choose the indoor one because it looks so much more lovely set up :)
  • Another vote for Homestead Manor here!
  • panwin said:
    SaintPaulGal said: What is the cost comparison of Sycamore Farms versus Mint Springs?  I like Mint Springs best because the main spaces all seem to have roofs and floors, which is great for guest comfort.  But 50K is an immense amount to spend on a wedding, so I would probably pick Sycamore Farms if it was significantly cheaper.

Personally I would wonder why you had your ceremony at a different place than your reception if the other place offered both...but I might be the weird one here.

Does the space cost the same if you have the ceremony there or not?  Can you see the ceremony space from the reception space? 

I'm all for efficiency, so I would rather do everything at one venue then have to coordinate with two different locations, deal with timing of events, delivery of flowers at two places, and all that jazz...just my opinion though. 

I disagree. I think it is perfectly fine to have a ceremony in a chapel and the reception elsewhere. Many people have church weddings and receptions in places that could accommodate a ceremony.
  • Me personally?  I haaaate The Grove.  It looks dingy.  This is admittedly a snobby thing to say, but if you chose that one you would probably spend 20k to look like you spend 2.  I come from a tiny farming town and know people who got married in locations like that, but it's because their family owned the property and it was all they could afford.  I don't judge them at all for being frugal, but I would never pay to rent a space like this.

I also don't particularly care for Tucker's Gap. It doesn't seem to have much character. 

The Grove looks a lot like the barn where my daughter rides (minus the string lights), and it is emphatically NOT a wedding venue.  Definitely a working barn.  So I agree with you.
  • Personally I would wonder why you had your ceremony at a different place than your reception if the other place offered both...but I might be the weird one here.

I disagree. I think it is perfectly fine to have a ceremony in a chapel and the reception elsewhere. Many people have church weddings and receptions in places that could accommodate a ceremony.

I get that...and I'm not saying I would judge the person*...just more of a shrug and wonder kind of thing.  I also think a church wedding makes sense where a non-secular ceremony being off site when the venue offered it is a little unnecessary, but that's me.  Again no judging just a "huh". 

*unless of course the separate spaces caused a major issue with "Vision over Comfort".  I don't mind driving 10 minutes from one to the other but I do mind long gaps

• OP, I love the "indoor" reception space at Homestead Manor.  Is that climate controlled in any way?  It looks like the walls may be a bit open.  Overall, I think the best venue will be the one that best accounts for guest comfort, so always keep that in mind when you are looking. 

One of thing I did discover.  Our venue was about 30 minutes from where we lived and was OOT for ~90% of our guests.  We loved that there were hotels near by but the drive to and from got a little tiresome towards the end for us.  Not sure how far these venues are but we ended up making about 10 trips between the first walk through, coordination, my family wanting to see the space, rehearsal/set-up, day of and the day-after to pick up items.