Wedding Woes

FRIDAY!

2»

Re: FRIDAY!

• @kimmiinthemitten I am really getting sad and angry for you guys. The way they are treating your dad is not right :( So awesome that you are such an advocate for your parents though.

• @kimmiinthemitten I am really getting sad and angry for you guys. The way they are treating your dad is not right :( So awesome that you are such an advocate for your parents though.
    Thanks.  Like I said, this is the norm.  Well maybe not to this extreme, but the fight for adequate access is.

I feel for all of the Deaf patients who don't have an advocate or whose advocates don't know their rights and as such are given mediocre care and forced to think it's okay.  Every complaint I file is an attempt to change the system.  Every single time all we ask for is a change in policy.  One of these time's we may get it,  but usually the hospital responds with a bullshit "we recognize our mistake and have taken steps to correct it" and they fly by with a slap on the wrist.
  • The interpreting agency has been.  Sadly, social workers don't usually know much about Deaf rights, and because this hospital is normally bad at providing terps, a lot of Deaf people don't come here so they don't have the exposure.  It's a catch 22.

Sadly, every time a parent of mine is in the hospital, I gear up for this.  

That is some serious BS. I am so mad for you.

Also, call me naïve, but wouldn't they want to be able to communicate with a patient???  Seems like that would be incredibly helpful on both sides.  I'm sure you're doing a fabulous job, but not everyone has someone with them, and also, this isn't your actual job.

This is exactly it!  Yesterday I had to tell my dad he didn't have a heart attack, but what if he did?!

Nurses tend to care about having terps, administrators don't want to pay for them and will find any way around it they can get away with.

Another hospital sent a terp home a couple of years ago because my mom was in surgery.  Who the hell is going to tell the deaf high lady in post op about her after care?  Before the law changed, and when I was only 18, I was pressured by a judge to interpret for my dad in court!  The state of care out there for the Deaf community is minimal and it's very sad and enraging.
  • @thefanciestbeckler  obviously you dressed nice ;)
    Tacky of your friend to push the meal train! Be appreciative you brat {her, not you}

@kimmiinthemitten People just seem to not always care :( Are the nurses apologizing to seem sorry, or are they actually sorry? This is such an unneeded extra drama for you!
  • The interpreting agency has been.  Sadly, social workers don't usually know much about Deaf rights, and because this hospital is normally bad at providing terps, a lot of Deaf people don't come here so they don't have the exposure.  It's a catch 22.

Sadly, every time a parent of mine is in the hospital, I gear up for this.  

That is some serious BS. I am so mad for you.

Also, call me naïve, but wouldn't they want to be able to communicate with a patient???  Seems like that would be incredibly helpful on both sides.  I'm sure you're doing a fabulous job, but not everyone has someone with them, and also, this isn't your actual job.

This is exactly it!  Yesterday I had to tell my dad he didn't have a heart attack, but what if he did?!

Nurses tend to care about having terps, administrators don't want to pay for them and will find any way around it they can get away with.

Another hospital sent a terp home a couple of years ago because my mom was in surgery.  Who the hell is going to tell the deaf high lady in post op about her after care?  Before the law changed, and when I was only 18, I was pressured by a judge to interpret for my dad in court!  The state of care out there for the Deaf community is minimal and it's very sad and enraging.
    That's some serious bullshit right there. You are the family member, not staff!
  • Heffalump said:

Side note, all of my friends (not exaggerating) are either pregnant right now or have had a baby in the last couple of months. One friend had a baby about 2 weeks ago. Someone from church set up a meal train for her and I guess she hasn't had enough people sign up for her liking. So said friend is promoting her meal train on FB like crazy with commentary like "I'm just gonna leave this right here".

OMG. I had signed up to bring them something before she started this entitled nonsense and now I want to un-sign up. It's really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

It's too bad that you're not pregnant for several freaking months, which would be plenty of time to prepare.  I mean, it's nice when people drop things off (I surely appreciated it!), but it should be a nice surprise, not your primary plan for feeding yourself.  I hope she's getting Papa John's in her Sponsored Posts when she posts that shit.

Yeah, I don't get this, either.  I'm seeing a lot of this mentality as well across my FB feed.  It's starting to piss me off.  It's not like the new baby is a surprise.  Granted, I'm not a mom, not pregnant, don't know what you went through or how you're feeling now, whatever, but I feel like you know going into something like this that life as you knew it is going to change.  And a reasonable person would make plans to adapt to that.  Right?  

Okay, sure, congrats, you just had a kid.  I appreciate that your life is different, more difficult, it'll take time to fully adjust.  But you're still an adult, and presumably you were able to take care of yourself before baby, so why can't you/didn't you figure out how to take care of yourself after baby?

Be like Barney.

End rant.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Heffalump said:

Side note, all of my friends (not exaggerating) are either pregnant right now or have had a baby in the last couple of months. One friend had a baby about 2 weeks ago. Someone from church set up a meal train for her and I guess she hasn't had enough people sign up for her liking. So said friend is promoting her meal train on FB like crazy with commentary like "I'm just gonna leave this right here".

OMG. I had signed up to bring them something before she started this entitled nonsense and now I want to un-sign up. It's really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

It's too bad that you're not pregnant for several freaking months, which would be plenty of time to prepare.  I mean, it's nice when people drop things off (I surely appreciated it!), but it should be a nice surprise, not your primary plan for feeding yourself.  I hope she's getting Papa John's in her Sponsored Posts when she posts that shit.

I was just talking to M about this, premaking food or prepping stuff to just throw in a crockpot. I tend to use future kids as example why to get on it now.

What is this woman going to do when her kid has places to be? Expect people to bring her food all the time?
  • Yeah, I don't get this, either.  I'm seeing a lot of this mentality as well across my FB feed.  It's starting to piss me off.  It's not like the new baby is a surprise.  Granted, I'm not a mom, not pregnant, don't know what you went through or how you're feeling now, whatever, but I feel like you know going into something like this that life as you knew it is going to change.  And a reasonable person would make plans to adapt to that.  Right?  

Okay, sure, congrats, you just had a kid.  I appreciate that your life is different, more difficult, it'll take time to fully adjust.  But you're still an adult, and presumably you were able to take care of yourself before baby, so why can't you/didn't you figure out how to take care of yourself after baby?

Be like Barney.

End rant.
    Right?!?!  When I visited my sister when the nugget was a newborn, I helped clean and stuff, because I wanted to, not because there was a chore board on the fridge for visitors.

@charlotte989875 that was easily one of the worst days of my life.

@MissKittyDanger Thanks!  The nurses, both last night and today are genuinely apologetic and very Team Dad In The Mitten.  They have been helpful with my documenting too.
  • @kimmiinthemitten  oh good, at least the nurses are on your side! This better get fixed up because going into a hospital is rough enough, let's throw in the added stress of you knowing the interpreter is going to be an issue. You're a good daughter to Mum and Dad in the Mitten. {Mr. & Mrs Mitten?}
  • @kimmiinthemitten  oh good, at least the nurses are on your side! This better get fixed up because going into a hospital is rough enough, let's throw in the added stress of you knowing the interpreter is going to be an issue. You're a good daughter to Mum and Dad in the Mitten. {Mr. & Mrs Mitten?}
    Divorced in 1986 and living as roommates as of April - that's a whole other drama.
  • Totally on board with all y'all in regards to the meal train situation. People don't owe you food just because you had a baby. Don't get me wrong, I love to help people out after they've had a baby, surgery, etc. I appreciate the concept of the Meal Train website because it helps those of us who'd like to do something coordinate. But the plan after having a baby shouldn't be "oh, my friends will just bring us food".

I'm not a mom, so obviously I don't fully understand, but I plan on making some meals and freezing them ahead of time when I'm pregnant so that DH and I aren't scrambling to cook or order out all the time.

Divorced in 1986 and living as roommates as of April - that's a whole other drama.
    I'm sorry that you have to @kimmiinthemitten but it sounds like they're lucky to have you. Side note - my parents are also divorced and living together. So weird.

@ThisShamanluvsaMage happy birthday!

Probably TMI - we've been trying to conceive for a while now with no success. This weekend should be prime baby making time. It's been a shitty week and I'm tired. I'd much rather go home, put on my pajamas, eat a gallon of ice cream and go to sleep until Monday. I guess I'll have to weigh my desire for laziness vs. my desire for a tiny human.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Where's FB Friend's SO in all of this, or is she a single parent?

If there's an SO in the picture I'd mail them a cookbook :-P

Sounds like a lot of ppl are having a shitty week/day, boo on that!  I hope it all turns around for everyone ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Heffalump said:

Let me tell you about a little ditty called IDKIWP.  :D  That is surely the issue here.  LOL

Seriously though, your friend is being a passive-aggressive dick...postpartum or not.  :/  
    Better friends than relationship?
  • @kimmiinthemitten That is some serious bs.  I'm sorry you and your parents and the community deal with this.
    Better friends than relationship?
    It was a matter of convenience haha.  My mom is also blind so she can't drive and my dad needed to quit smoking.  He offered the opportunity for my mom to move in because he wouldn't smoke in the apartment with her there and in return he can drive her for her doctors appointments and errands and things.  It is a life saver for me and her.

Despite being told the entire time he was there for 2 nights, he was discharged about an hour after I left for work yesterday, which is really fishy.  Somehow, in the matter of 90 minutes, the doctor came back to assess his vertigo, decided it was fine, and they started and finished the discharge paperwork, disconnect him from all of the tubes, have him dressed and in a wheelchair.  I've never seen a discharge happen so fast.  We'll know for sure next week.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Let me tell you about a little ditty called IDKIWP.  :D  That is surely the issue here.  LOL

Seriously though, your friend is being a passive-aggressive dick...postpartum or not.  :/  
    Man, I miss those old threads.  I don't think I ever actually saw an episode, but I never needed to, thanks to Hmo.
  • It was a matter of convenience haha.  My mom is also blind so she can't drive and my dad needed to quit smoking.  He offered the opportunity for my mom to move in because he wouldn't smoke in the apartment with her there and in return he can drive her for her doctors appointments and errands and things.  It is a life saver for me and her.

Despite being told the entire time he was there for 2 nights, he was discharged about an hour after I left for work yesterday, which is really fishy.  Somehow, in the matter of 90 minutes, the doctor came back to assess his vertigo, decided it was fine, and they started and finished the discharge paperwork, disconnect him from all of the tubes, have him dressed and in a wheelchair.  I've never seen a discharge happen so fast.  We'll know for sure next week.
    That sets my spider sense tingling, too.  When my mom was released, she called me, I drove an hour up there, and we still sat around for 3 1/2 hours before she was actually free to go.  So yeah, their behavior is super fishy.  Grrrrr.
  • @Heffalump - Right, my coworker had surgery at the same hospital and was on the same floor last month.  It was scheduled in advance, with a three night stay.  Despite being on a schedule, it took them over 3 hours to discharge him.  I'm [having him] request his medical records.
  • edited December 2016
    Heffalump said:
    It was a matter of convenience haha.  My mom is also blind so she can't drive and my dad needed to quit smoking.  He offered the opportunity for my mom to move in because he wouldn't smoke in the apartment with her there and in return he can drive her for her doctors appointments and errands and things.  It is a life saver for me and her.

That sets my spider sense tingling, too.  When my mom was released, she called me, I drove an hour up there, and we still sat around for 3 1/2 hours before she was actually free to go.  So yeah, their behavior is super fishy.  Grrrrr.
    When I had Mouse, we were both released verbally around 9, but it wasn't until after 1 before we actually got discharged. They were trying to get rid of a "problem" patient.
  • @Heffalump - Right, my coworker had surgery at the same hospital and was on the same floor last month.  It was scheduled in advance, with a three night stay.  Despite being on a schedule, it took them over 3 hours to discharge him.  I'm [having him] request his medical records.
    Any chance in the future your Dad can go to a different hospital?  This place sounds awful and sounds like they were then being vindictive towards him after you filed the complaint.

Shit like that just baffles me.  Why are you in the healthcare field if you don't actually want to treat and help people?  And my God, to be shitty to a person who is deaf or otherwise disabled?  That's a special kind of awful ><
    That's what gets me too.  If this is how they treat a patient with family there who is openly documenting everything, what are doing with the patients you can get away with this on?!  His actual nurses were amazing, FI said three of them walked him out, but the admin at that place is something else.  I've seen a lot and I've never seen it this bad.

Traditionally he does go to another hospital, but he was dizzy and called an ambulance and as such didn't have a choice.  We will never go back there again.