Chit Chat

E-rings and wedding rings

http://www.someecards.com/love/dating-relationships/woman-womans-response-to-wedding-rig/

I've had someone tell me how small my diamond was too.  And not in a polite "oh it's small in a cute way" either.  It was meant to put me down.  I know friends who got rude comments about their engagement rings as well.  I love this article though.  More people should read this.

and fwiw - I love her ring!

Re: E-rings and wedding rings

• Her ering is more expensive than my ering and wedding ring. {not put together, but not far off}
  • The gall of that other associate to say that, especially in front of customers! Disgusting!

I also get irritated at people who get engaged younger and claim the ring will be "upgraded" when they're in a better financial place. One of my friends did actually do that. What happened to sentimental value, people?

• The gall of that other associate to say that, especially in front of customers! Disgusting!

I also get irritated at people who get engaged younger and claim the ring will be "upgraded" when they're in a better financial place. One of my friends did actually do that. What happened to sentimental value, people?
    I don't have a problem with "upgrading" if that's what you're in to. On their tenth anniversary my SIL had her original diamond resent into a huge and gorgeous new setting. It works for them. 

I don't have a problem with "upgrading" if that's what you're in to. On their tenth anniversary my SIL had her original diamond resent into a huge and gorgeous new setting. It works for them. 
    I mean, I don't know your SIL of course. My MIL was given a new diamond for her ring around their 40th wedding anniversary. I feel like if one partner gave the other an "upgrade" as a total surprise for a milestone, that's one thing. I have witnessed an attitude of a small stone not being good enough and an expectation of an upgrade later. I suppose it's about context. 
    My friend who got an upgrade plans to give her original ring to their daughter when she gets older. That's nice. But I thought the original was gorgeous and was shocked when she said they were getting something new so soon. 

I'd rather another ring than not wear my ering ;)
  • edited December 2016
    The gall of that other associate to say that, especially in front of customers! Disgusting!

I mean, I don't know your SIL of course. My MIL was given a new diamond for her ring around their 40th wedding anniversary. I feel like if one partner gave the other an "upgrade" as a total surprise for a milestone, that's one thing. I have witnessed an attitude of a small stone not being good enough and an expectation of an upgrade later. I suppose it's about context. 
    My friend who got an upgrade plans to give her original ring to their daughter when she gets older. That's nice. But I thought the original was gorgeous and was shocked when she said they were getting something new so soon. 
    Yah, I think the bolded sucks. 

I thought it was nice that my SIL kept her original diamond and just had it reset in a newer setting. Her H had asked if she wanted a new one/different and they talked about it, and picked out the new setting together. 

I guess I just meant not every upgrade is about it not being "good enough". 

ETA: reset not resent. 
  • I don't know what to think about this story.  In my experience, the employees at Pandora are over-the-top polite and attentive.  I have never even seen one be aloof towards a customer (my mom has multiple bracelets and used to be on a kick that she wanted a charm for her birthday and Christmas every year).  Of course, I wasn't there so I can't say that the poster is lying, but the story just isn't in line with any experience I have had at that particular store.  It's also weird to me that someone would say that to a couple who is there together buying those particular items.  The whole thing is strange to me...and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those stories where we find out more later.

SITB :/

Not everyone is sentimental with jewelry.  I am, but I'm actually more attached to my grandmother's e-ring (a silver claddagh ring, that my grandfather gave me when she died, since out of all the grandkids, I was named after her and we were very close) than my own.  And I wouldn't "upgrade" my e-ring, but I don't judge those who have.  
    Two coworkers have actually done this, and in both cases, it was the husband that suggested it, because they felt the e-ring was a reflection on them.  Whatever the reason, the practice doesn't bother me.  What does bother me is people like the salesclerk in this article who was super rude.  That was completely uncalled for. 
  • Super rude.

I see what you are saying Ro041- there are a lot of stories floating around out there that are made up by someone to prove some sort of point.

However, I have seen this mentality. The way jewelry stores advertise- a diamond is forever, buy her something as beautiful as she is, etc. Women who demand a certain style or size of ring. The way people in general compare rings.

I have a pretty nice e-ring. It's not the most expensive ring I've seen in my circle, but it wasn't cheap either. I love jewelry- I did want a ring like this (DH picked it out). But the ring is for ME, not to compare to anyone else. Nor do I think it makes me more married or DH more in love with me- I just love sparkly things ;). Personally, I would never replace it with an upgrade, I'm sentimental like that, but I wouldn't turn down a second gorgeous ring "just because" ;).