Wedding Woes

Thursday

DefConn is sick and so sad.  :(  I used the online tool for the first time to schedule a doctor's appt for him today and they just called me to do my 'intake', as if we were new patients.  I'm like, "Uh this is our doctor."  Online scheduling: clear as mud? 

I slept like garbage between DefConn's coughing/crying in his sleep and DH going into work at 2am (and working until noon. He has training) and feeling mom guilt over the kiddo turning 16 today and it's not really going to be the greatest bday because everything is a shitshow. 

One good piece of news is that DH is getting some action from recruiters.  One lady says she has something that might 'work for him'.  So we'll see. 

I'm supposed to take DefConn to the doc on my lunch...I have a feeling that I'm not working after that. 

Re: Thursday

• mrsconn23 said:
    DefConn is sick and so sad.  :(  I used the online tool for the first time to schedule a doctor's appt for him today and they just called me to do my 'intake', as if we were new patients.  I'm like, "Uh this is our doctor."  Online scheduling: clear as mud? 

I slept like garbage between DefConn's coughing/crying in his sleep and DH going into work at 2am (and working until noon. He has training) and feeling mom guilt over the kiddo turning 16 today and it's not really going to be the greatest bday because everything is a shitshow. 

One good piece of news is that DH is getting some action from recruiters.  One lady says she has something that might 'work for him'.  So we'll see. 

I'm supposed to take DefConn to the doc on my lunch...I have a feeling that I'm not working after that. 

I hope poor DefConn feels better soon.  Poor little guy.

Also, I have never had good success with online scheduling.  I just used it for my mammogram next week, so we'll see how it goes when I show up and see whether they know who I am and why I'm there.  But usually I have to fill out a shitton of blanks and boxes, and then I get a call from someone who asks me all those things again. 

Happy birthday to the kiddo! 

We have a dept. meeting in an hour.  Sigh.

My brother (and my dad, and Dad's crazy wife) leave for the UK today.  Conversion ceremony, giving his FI the ring, and engagement party.  He'll be there over a week, and I'll miss texting/emailing.  But hopefully he'll post some good stuff on FB.  He is randomly sitting one row behind my dad and his wife, which was not planned and which he's not 100% enthusiastic about.
  • Poor DefConn!  All the best for a swift and speedy recovery.  Hopefully, at the very worst, the kiddo stays healthy for his birthday.

I'm insanely hungover.  Like the worst.  I am pretty sure I look even worse than I feel.  I just slept/passed out through the first presentation today.  I see one person here today from last night.  I was fine... Until the guys bought shots.  I have half a mind to go back to the hotel and sleep it off.  I hope I was not the shitshow I imagine I was, and if I was that bad, lord I hope everyone else was, too.  It was weird, I have lots of guy friends and we make lots of inappropriate jokes, but this is the first time I've ever actually been uncomfortable with the banter.  

At least the nap appears to have helped.

Today is gonna be looooooooong.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Everyone gets insanely drunk at conferences, and never talks about it again. It's the code, @AtomicBlonde. Unless, you're a grad student, then everyone talks about it forever. 

It's snowing. And windy. And super cold. And I have no idea where any of our winter gear is. Also, I'm thinking of buying a new coat like this tonight. H said it's like a walking sleeping bag and I hope to the gods he's right. 

coat.png 377.5K
  • Poor DefConn!  All the best for a swift and speedy recovery.  Hopefully, at the very worst, the kiddo stays healthy for his birthday.

I'm insanely hungover.  Like the worst.  I am pretty sure I look even worse than I feel.  I just slept/passed out through the first presentation today.  I see one person here today from last night.  I was fine... Until the guys bought shots.  I have half a mind to go back to the hotel and sleep it off.  I hope I was not the shitshow I imagine I was, and if I was that bad, lord I hope everyone else was, too.  It was weird, I have lots of guy friends and we make lots of inappropriate jokes, but this is the first time I've ever actually been uncomfortable with the banter.  

At least the nap appears to have helped.

Today is gonna be looooooooong.
    This happened to me once too at an after work happy hour with the team.  An older male coworker got on me about how my duty was to please my husband and make babies after a myriad of other inappropriate comments.  I was like:  you have daughters!  Then a new guy tried to proposition me for sex and said he would take the hit if the boss found out.  That part made me laugh, the boss isn't picking the new guy over me.  But then, I screenshot all of the conversations and emailed them to our IT Manager who is a good friend instead of making an HR complaint, which I regret.  The guy is no longer there, but for the other women who may have something similar happen.

Today is a shit show, it's my moms birthday and she's guilting me for not making plans with her (whatever, she doesn't do anything special for mine, but our relationship is a one way street) plus I'm working both jobs today!  I'm literally at it from 8am-11pm.  

But at least tonight's event is at our venue so that's fun!  I can't believe I'll be married in a little over a week and more importantly - on the beach in less than 2!!

• Healthy vibes going out to all the sick babies (and parents. And husbands).  <3

After our successful vet trip yesterday, I slept much better last night. I finally realized why, whenever we stay at MIL's house, the dog wakes up at the crack of dawn. Because cheese. She gives him a piece of chesse every morning so as soon as she is up, he wants to get up. I was going to go back to bed after letting him out this morning but I saw I had a message from DH that I couldn't sleep after. They are buying my ticket on monday or Tuesday. I will be leaving either next weekend or the weekend after. I told them to shoot for the weekend after as I am NOT ready. So much shit to do!!
  • @charlotte989875 my best friend has two coats like that and loves them!
  • @mrsconn23  poor DefConn :(

@6fsn  vibes for your H! Maybe M2 just needed to get whatever out of her system? I've had that before.

@AtomicBlonde  have some gatorade/powerade, should help - along with rest

@charlotte989875  that looks warm. I take a bus so my constant thought when buying a coat is "does that cover my bum?" lol

Just watched "VS Fashion Show" and "This Is Us" on PVR - holy shit to fall finale!? M was upstairs playing video games for most of it, but comes down during ending of "This Is Us"

Me: WHAT!? WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT!?
    M; because it's fall finale? That's how they suck you in
    Me: I was sucked in by ep 2, I think they're good. I'm watching. They can stop this shit.
    M: *stares at Angel curled up near him* Yes, mama is crazy. TV makes mama crazy :)

Jerks lol

Oh we finally got some stuff for our property tax info in. At least with that I can do the estimator on the city's website and adjust our budget. We got a special assessment from our condo corp and have to pay more by April, so it's literally $25 per pay for us from Jan - April ... so not huge deal.

We finally remembered to take the garbage out! It's bi-weekly and we forgot last time .... so our neighbours may judge.

Tonight is groceries and banking. I'm debating on going to dollarama tomorrow or Saturday on way home from the mall. Hmm ....
  • Ha, yes @MissKittyDanger. I drive to work but my walk from the parking lot to my office is across a stretch of campus that is open and windy, and I want all the warmth I can find. 

Thanks, @kimmiinthemitten, it looks super warm, and it's what I've been thinking about pretty much non-stop since seeing the forecast for this weekend. Are you expected to get the wind and snow up in Detroit, too? 
  • Last night was pretty good.  The yoga class was nice and relaxing.  H got Betsey out to the vet early and they took him right away!  They did take a blood panel since she lost 11 pounds in a year.  :(  The dr thinks her orthopedic issues would have done the opposite and added weight, so we are seeing.  He did say that the 1 cup twice per day was too small for a dog her size.  We've upped her recently to 1.5 cups because we noticed the weight loss on her.  He said that is a better amount, so I hope that's all it is - although the dog mom guilt will be bad since we would be the cause of her weight loss.  But we will find out when the blood panel comes back.  Fingers crossed, this dog has been through enough with us!

Otherwise we relaxed and caught up on some TV.  I slept SOOOOOOO good last night!  I feel like a new woman this morning!

Tonight is my office Holiday party.  They throw it at a nice country club close by.  They have good food there, so that's exciting for me since I can't partake in the free booze!  Probably won't stay late enough for the dancing this year though.  Last year someone got a little too close and friendly with the President of the firm.  The woman apparently had no idea who he was! :o She was really drunk and ended up at an after party with others too.  She rallied and came into work the next day - looking very worse the wear!  I'm sure she will not have a repeat performance!

Since I'm not staying too late at the party tonight, I am hoping to have some motivation to start wrapping presents.  They are all still sitting in their shopping bags at the back of the family room, so I need to get on this!

Happy Birthday to the kiddo and Mom in the mitten!

Hope DefConn starts to feel better soon!

Atomic - Don't worry too much!  I have travelled for work in Puerto Rico.  The one night I didn't join everyone else for dinner, was the night the newest associate got drunk!  I found out about it the next day at the warehouse we were working out of.  There were some funny jokes made that day, but its hasn't been mentioned since we got back to the office.  It's been 3 years now, so you should be all good!  Especially if others didn't even make it to the first presentation, they are probably worse off than you!

• Ha, yes @MissKittyDanger. I drive to work but my walk from the parking lot to my office is across a stretch of campus that is open and windy, and I want all the warmth I can find. 

Thanks, @kimmiinthemitten, it looks super warm, and it's what I've been thinking about pretty much non-stop since seeing the forecast for this weekend. Are you expected to get the wind and snow up in Detroit, too? 
    Yes, we have light snow now.  It's also calling for 4"-12" next weekend; fingers crossed for 4".  Luckily, we're usually not too bad since the lake effect stuff on the west side of the state exhausts most of it.
  • @charlotte989875  H just bought me a coat from Eddie Bauer like that back in February. It's not quite as long as the one you posted, but it hits a couple of inches about my knees, fleece lined and has 650 down fill. The thing is ridiculously warm. I feel like I'm walking around in a big warm sleeping bag whenever I wear it. Definitely buy it!
  • Thanks @cupcait927. All my old Buffalo-weather coats are worn out, so it's time for an upgrade. Glad so many people have had good experiences with big warm sleeping bags that look like coats. That's exactly what I'm after. 
  • I ended up going home early yesterday and taking a nap before eldest came over. Then, we went to pick up Mouse and went to see my mom in the hospital. They said the surgery went well, but of course she's in a lot of pain. My sweet H brought her flowers. 

On the topic of H. He's such a good father, but he's so freaking clueless sometimes. Yesterday, Mouse woke up at 5:45 and he's really congested so sucking out of a bottle is difficult. He kept crying and H just kept letting him. I finally get up and fed him some fruit and cheerios. I wanted to yell, "Babe!! He's hungry! Feed him! If he can't take a bottle, there's myriad other choices in the kitchen!" This morning, Mouse wakes up at 1:30 -repeat performance of bottle. Finally, at 2:15 I go in with the nasal aspirator and a kleenex. We suckered out his nose and he went to sleep. 

No plans today outside of work. 
  • I have an older version of this coat from Land's End and I love it.  Long coats are the best. 

• I hope that all the sickies get to feeling better and all the job situations work out!

@MissKittyDanger I KNOW. That finale was insane. I sat there and cried like a baby and was sooo glad that DH isn't home to see me. He always makes fun of me for that.

@charlotte989875 One of my close friends lives in Detroit and swears by those kinds of coats. She's a Tennessee girl like me and is NOT used to the kind of weather they get up there. She's also really cold natured and says those coats keep you so warm.

Morning WW! I guess I've gotten myself used to having short weeks so I woke up thinking it's Friday. At least it's Prudie day.

It turned freezing here all of a sudden with highs in the low 40's. It was in the 70's just a couple of weeks ago! My body is weirded out by it. My sinuses are all jacked up today. Oh well. Tis the season, right?

Other than that I don't have much today! I'm waiting to hear when my meeting will be about the potential new job. I emailed him earlier this week and asked him if he could meet Tuesday. He's at a conference in California this week so I'm not expecting a response until Monday. I am so hoping it works out. DH was telling me last night that he wants me out of the mortgage business all together (since it's nowhere close to what I want to do for the rest of my life), but my ultimate career goal requires a Master's degree. We aren't in the position right now to pay for that. I told him that I don't mind staying in this business for a while as long as I'm working for someone good. And they DO exist. The guy I'm going to talk to next week is one of them! I appreciate DH looking out for me, but he forgets how hard it is to switch career paths.

• There's a 30 car pile up with 2 dead within my sales territory just announced here.  These types of stories always get to me.  Two families woke up to a normal day and now their lives are forever changed in the blink of an eye.  Ugh.
  • @thefanciestbeckler lmfao! There's a meme that goes around I tagged M in because I'm a huge sap. It's called "Why My Wife Is Crying" {look it up!}
  • First of all: I have another update on my dad.  It's both good and scary.  They think he has cleared the bacterial infection that was the most urgent issue.  We will know for sure today if it's completely gone, but the surgeon said he didn't see any evidence of continued infection during the final clean-out surgery and that is fantastic news. Now for the really scary part: the particular strain he had has a 48% fatality rate.  Basically even odds on whether you live or die if you are diagnosed with it.  I'm actually glad I didn't know that before or I would have been freaking out way worse.  

Last night I had to work late and then picked up my sister from the airport and drove her most of the way to my hometown (2-ish hours). She's 9 years younger and just coming back from her first semester of college.  It was both awkward and nice to be trapped in the car with her for that long.  She is an incredibly introverted person and I haven't actually lived around her since she was a kid, so I feel like I don't know her at all.  In the two hours, we had probably 30 minutes of awkward silence, 30 minutes of awkward small talk about weather/pets/whatever, and maybe an hour of real conversation. Progress!  
  • Oh, @charlotte989875 I have this coat (same shape but less stylish than the one you want)

Image result for lands end long coat

I love it.  I bought it before studying abroad in college where temps could dip to -40.  It kept me toasty warm even then!  I live in Minnesota but don't get cold easily, so now I just pull it out on the few very coldest days of the year.
  • First of all: I have another update on my dad.  It's both good and scary.  They think he has cleared the bacterial infection that was the most urgent issue.  We will know for sure today if it's completely gone, but the surgeon said he didn't see any evidence of continued infection during the final clean-out surgery and that is fantastic news. Now for the really scary part: the particular strain he had has a 48% fatality rate.  Basically even odds on whether you live or die if you are diagnosed with it.  I'm actually glad I didn't know that before or I would have been freaking out way worse.  

Hugs, I don't know what else to say.
  • Oh @SaintPaulGal, I am so sorry. Hugs. I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

• @SaintPaulGal T+P's for your dad's recovery.  It sounds like a terrifying situation. 

• @SaintPaulGal  Hugs! Keep us posted on his recovery <3 thinking of you guys, I know it's not easy
  • @SaintPaulGal, hugs and healthy vibes.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Thank you so much for all the kind words, everyone!  It's weird to find out now just how close we came to losing him.  I knew it was bad, but I never knew it was 50/50 bad.
  • edited December 2016

Well, just awesome. My boss has his son here, who apparently has hand, foot, and mouth. He's going around touching stuff everywhere in the office. And when we asked my boss what was wrong with him he lied to us.

GREAT!

ETA words

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2016
    Just back from the doc.  DefConn's got some ick.  Ears are infected and he might have strep, but since the ears are bad off the doc didn't think tormenting him with a culture was necessary.  He's out of school tomorrow too. 

Two things: 

1) DefConn is so different from the kiddo on how he approaches illness.  The kiddo was (and is) my dramatic one.  He's dying if he's got a cold.  Meds *never* make him feel better, according to him (but he's not dead from anything yet, so obvs. they work). I gave DefConn ibuprofen an hour before we left and he was was bebopping around the doc's office.  The nurse was like, "He's sick?!" I was all, "I know!  I wouldn't believe it except I was up half the night listening to him cry and cough in his sleep." It's refreshing on one end, but on the other it gives me slight mom guilt that I may let something more serious go because he's so resilient.  But if he was really, really sick...I think we'd know, you know?

2) I loved my old doctor a TON, and we all saw her as a family. She was on the conservative side, but really not judgmental at all.  However, her office was quite inefficient.  And it's even more evident with how our current doctor's office operates.  Even with the online scheduling crap, we were in and out in 20 min.  That would have never happened with my old doctor.  Also, the staff at my current office is much nicer.  They were kinda bitchy at the old place. 
  • SPG - Continued well wishes for your dad!  Very scary situation and I'm glad he seems to be on the other side of it now!

Hopefully that medicine for DefConn will kick in soon and he will continue bebopping around!