Attire & Accessories Forum

Dressilyme Wedding dress too short & bad fit!!

Finally went thru with it lol. It took about 4 week to make to custom measurements and receive it by fedex. Communication was excellent. The dress I chose was an Oksana Mukha dress that usually retails around 3000-4000 euro, I paid £170 (+£30 shipping). 
I asked for the large lace flower appliques on skirt to be left off when making it. Although I ordered custom fit I didn't account for petticoat underneath with of course shortens it by puffing it out. Bodice has fitted tulle over the satin I wanted it satin like the original photo so I will have to see what an be done about this. 
I also want to see about swapping the pearls on front of bodice and around waist for swarovksis which I have already bought. The lace isn't symmetrical on top of bust either. I also have video but wont let me post :(
ANY TIPS OR ADVICE ON ALTERATIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

Re: Dressilyme Wedding dress too short & bad fit!!

• I'm glad you like it. It's fine, I guess, as long as you don't look too closely.
  • I'm not sure what is going on here. Are you asking for advice about your dress, or advertising for Dressilyme? 
  • I'm letting ppl know that Dressilyme is OK to order from, just dont expect it to be perfect. I come across a lot of forums questioning it (like I was), and a lot of ppl writing about their experiences with dressilyme, so just thought i'd leave my experience also. It helped me reading about it & viewing actual photos of the dresses they received, so i'm trying to help others by doing the same :)

But mainly I'm asking for advice on how/if my dress an be altered. Is it easy to add length? can the bodice be altered at all? Is it easy to add more tulle to get a bigger 'boofier' look? Like I said, any advice, opinions or tips i'd appreciate!

• Lol, that's the feeling i'm getting also. I want too much changed, and although it has similarities to the original. It is defo not the original  :(  I think im gonna have to see what prices will be like to get it altered in the ways I want and how close to the original that price will get me. And then calculate whats cheaper - alterations or new dress. I just can't afford to be spending thousands on a dress, and this is the style I want  :(  

• I like the back of the dress, but I think it ends there  :D:(  I dont know whether to laugh or cry. 
  • Are you wearing heels in this photo? If so, go with flats. 

I think your dress might be easier than some to make longer. You could potentially add six inches of fabric all the way around and the tulle might disguise the seam, or you could add more tulle if it doesn't. 

I think the wrinkles in the bodice will be a lot harder to fix, especially the big one in the middle. The only way I see to do it (disclaimer, I'm not a professional, so I could be wrong), is remove the entire bodice from the skirt and then resew it with the fabric straight. That could be expensive, but fortunately on your dress, it doesn't look like it would be impossible. 
  • Lol, that's the feeling i'm getting also. I want too much changed, and although it has similarities to the original. It is defo not the original  :(  I think im gonna have to see what prices will be like to get it altered in the ways I want and how close to the original that price will get me. And then calculate whats cheaper - alterations or new dress. I just can't afford to be spending thousands on a dress, and this is the style I want  :(  

And this is why we keep saying don't order from places you don't know. The left cup is higher than the right. There are very noticeable wrinkles throughout the bodice. The boning in the bodice is wrong which is just highlighted by the pearls that are laid correctly. The bodice doesn't fit you like it should unless you wanted an open corset. And as you already know is several inches too short. It's probably going to cost just as much to "fix" it as you paid for it.
  • Like PPs have said, you get what you pay for. Good thing is, you didn't pay much for it! However you shouldn't be recommending other brides to this shop when you aren't even happy with your own dress. Could confuse others! 
  • Thanks loveslimbing, I'm on my tiptoes but really want to wear heels.
    The reason I'm dreading taking it to a tailor is because I moved to a foreign country and my use of the local language is basically none existent. And altho my H2B speaks it OKish, I can't exactly take him along with me to help out!
    And they do speak English OKish, but OKish is not enough with all the 
    changes I'd need to get across to them!
    I also don't like the beadings on the front. Yes they are similar to the original but just don't sit right if you know what I mean? 
    At first it looked ok, but the more I look at the photos the more I'm finding fault. It just looks, to me, 
    cheap and lacking what the original has.
    Whi
    ch of course is what I get for paying that amount from china. But because the amount I paid I have room for alteration costs.
    I think if anything, I was just hoping for reassuran
    ce from other members but it's gone the wrong way, and my fears that were at back of my mind are now coming forward  :tired_face::(  
  • Just see other replies. Although the dress isn't the best, in fact it's far, far, far from it lol, the materials are actually great, the same as dresses I tried on in the bridal shops. 
    So at least I have the materials to start off with??.... Omg, what have I done :
    :cold_sweat: ::cold_sweat:
    Honestly, does anyone think it's fixable?? At all???
  • Thanks loveslimbing, I'm on my tiptoes but really want to wear heels.
    The reason I'm dreading taking it to a tailor is because I moved to a foreign country and my use of the local language is basically none existent. And altho my H2B speaks it OKish, I can't exactly take him along with me to help out!
    And they do speak English OKish, but OKish is not enough with all the changes I'd need to get across to them!
    I also don't like the beadings on the front. Yes they are similar to the original but just don't sit right if you know what I mean? 
    At first it looked ok, but the more I look at the photos the more I'm finding fault. It just looks, to me, cheap and lacking what the original has.
    Which of course is what I get for paying that amount from china. But because the amount I paid I have room for alteration costs.
    I think if anything, I was just hoping for reassurance from other members but it's gone the wrong way, and my fears that were at back of my mind are now coming forward  :tired_face::(  
    Well, it's going to be a lot cheaper and easier to buy a pair of flats than get it lengthened, especially since you have a language barrier. Lengthening is usually difficult if not impossible to do without it looking obviously lengthened. Yes, I think yours might be easier than most, but that's no guarantee. You or your seamstress will need to find the exact same fabric or a very, very close match. (And with a Chinese dress, you will likely have a difficult or impossible time asking the "designer" or salespeople for advice, unlike if it had been purchased from a traditional store). The tulle may or may not hide the seam. Additionally, it looks like the tulle just touches the ground. Adding fabric underneath will mean both are the same length. Something to think about whether you care about that or not.

Honestly, the first thing you should do is have a consultation with a seamstress to find out if it is possible to lengthen and do all the other alterations. If it were me, paying to get the bodice straightened out would be the top concern, because that will be more noticeable than you wearing flats or having a slightly too short dress. 

I say take your FI along. Why can't he go with you? Is it because he has a job where he can't take the time or because you don't want him to see the dress before the wedding? If it's the latter, well, for me, getting the dress fixed would trump that tradition. If all else fails, can you hire a translator? Are you taking any trips back to English-speaking countries before the wedding? Are you in such a country that you could drive to the next country over with more English-speakers a couple of weekends?

Can you post a photo of you on flat feet? Plenty of brides have worn flats at their weddings. There are lots of cute and/or bridal-looking ones out there. 
  • Some more photos, please be completely honest, good and bad. Is it fixable???
    These photos don't show how the stones sparkle, which they do. But sparkle means nothing on a bad dress is it?! And yes that is a bin bag the dress is laying on, ironic? 

• Lovesclimbing, I will post more photos of dress while in flats, no doubt I will get it out again to examine, and will get photos. I don't mind my h2b seeing it, him and everyone else does!! I know I can drag him along if needs be. Which they will. 
  • Honestly?  It looks cheap because it is.  The bedazzlement looks like a kid did it, the applique at the bottom is crooked and I don't know if it's fixable because it's on tool, the pearl lining details don't match, the cups are different sizes and I don't know how to fix that bump going from your waist to your chest.  And had you been any larger, I can only imagine it would be worse.

Take it to a seamstress to be fixed the best they can, but do not refer others to this shit show of a shop.  My dress shop has a clearance, off the rack, sale twice a year where you can get a sample dress for $500 and it would require way less work than this.
  • I have changed original post n title to show true point of this post. I think I was just living in hope. But everyone is being so harsh on me :cry: I'm sorry! 
    I just wanted advice, I know the dress is sh*t now, everyone has made damn sure that I know! 
    But please, is it fixable? Even at a cost?
  • As someone who is not a professional on formal dresses, the main issues that stand out to me are the uneven lace and the wrinkles on the bodice. Any other details, I would not notice as a guest or someone viewing wedding pictures. I do agree that the overall dress looks sort of cheap though.. :/
  • Also the applique at the bottom isn't crooked, that's just the way it's laying on the tulle skirt, I couldn't get it flat enough.

• I have changed original post n title to show true point of this post. I think I was just living in hope. But everyone is being so harsh on me :cry: I'm sorry! 
    I just wanted advice, I know the dress is sh*t now, everyone has made damn sure that I know! 
    But please, is it fixable? Even at a cost?
    We're not professional seamstresses. We can't answer that for you. 

I'm sorry if you feel that people are being harsh. You came on here singing the praises of a knock-off site, which TBH rubs me the wrong way. Sure, wedding dresses are expensive, but to give money to places like this is just wrong. Also, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars for a great dress. You'll find that many of us didn't. 
  • Honestly, only a professional seamstress is going to be able to tell you if it's fixable (and how good that fix is going to be). It's likely going to be expensive (although I'm USA-based so alterations in other countries might be different) But really, there are a number of not easy to fix problems with the dress, and only you can determine how much you're willing to spend to try and save it. 
  • Also the applique at the bottom isn't crooked, that's just the way it's laying on the tulle skirt, I couldn't get it flat enough.

In the photo of you wearing it, it leans towards your left elbow.  In the photos of you holding it and it laying flat, it leans towards the right side of the dress.

There isn't a photo on this post where it's isn't crooked.
  • So basically throwing it in that bin bag is the best option in everyone's opinion. 
    I will take it to a seamstress praying for the best. But that won't be til end of January cos then I an drag my sisters along with me. 
    One that is done, I will post photos which will either be the new improved dress or the dog laying in it's new tulle bed :(

• So basically throwing it in that bin bag is the best option in everyone's opinion. 
    I will take it to a seamstress praying for the best. But that won't be til end of January cos then I an drag my sisters along with me. 
    One that is done, I will post photos which will either be the new improved dress or the dog laying in it's new tulle bed :(

I wonder what everyone would say if you posted these pictures on another wedding forum maybe on a different website and didn't mention the fact that you got it from a Chinese knock-off. It would be interesting to see what people point out about the dress without knowing who made it. I think everyone here has pointed out valid flaws in the dress but like I said before I wouldn't have even noticed these things if it weren't for the other posters. The main thing I noticed was the wrinkles and lace. I know you want the perfect dress for your wedding day..just stating that some of the flaws are more noticeable than others to the outsider. Maybe it would help you prioritize the things you want to get fixed most on the dress. 

Don't throw it in the bin until you see the seamstress. It might be able to be fixed to the point that it's acceptable.

I don't think anyone is saying throw it away and everyone is trying to say you're not going to know if/how/how expensive it will be to be altered to where you are happy with it until you see a seamstress.