Attire & Accessories Forum

Dressilyme Wedding dress too short & bad fit!!

Re: Dressilyme Wedding dress too short & bad fit!!

• Really what everyone has been trying to say is, this is why you don't buy cheap Chinese knockoffs.
  • Thank you Knottie2dfc4106646c67ef for your replies on my disaster dress  :D 
    You made me realise that although it's BAD, it's not that bad as long as the major flaws can actually be fixed such as length and ill fit of bodice.
    I will try that - posting it on another site without saying where it's from, or saying it's from somewhere else.
    I am not a perfectionist, and like you said, I too wouldn't notice the minor details if it were on someone else on their wedding day! 
    So thank you, because even if you don't fully believe what you wrote it made me feel a bit better!!  <3 
    I hope the seamstress has magic hands! And luckily where I live (a small Mediterranean island Cyprus), things aren't expensive. I live in hope with everything crossed. 
  • Thank you Knottie2dfc4106646c67ef for your replies on my disaster dress  :D 
    You made me realise that although it's BAD, it's not that bad as long as the major flaws can actually be fixed such as length and ill fit of bodice.
    I will try that - posting it on another site without saying where it's from, or saying it's from somewhere else.
    I am not a perfectionist, and like you said, I too wouldn't notice the minor details if it were on someone else on their wedding day! 
    So thank you, because even if you don't fully believe what you wrote it made me feel a bit better!!  <3 
    I hope the seamstress has magic hands! And luckily where I live (a small Mediterranean island Cyprus), things aren't expensive. I live in hope with everything crossed. 
    You're welcome and I do believe what I wrote! Btw I would not recommend saying you got it from somewhere else. Just simply leave out the information but don't lie about it. Good luck!
  • I'm really curious to hear what the other boards say.
  • I don't think it looks that bad. At close up, maybe the beading isn't the best, but in your photos, I don't really notice it too much. I don't see how the cups are uneven like someone else pointed out.

I think the biggest issue is that wrinkle in the bodice. If you can get that fixed, I think the dress will look ok. I think it might be able to be fixed, but I'm not a professional seamstress looking at it and how it was constructed in person. To fix that, I think the entire bodice would need to be removed from the skirt and resewn straight. I don't know if that's possible, but it definitely won't be cheap! 

You really need to get a professional's advice asap so if it can't be fixed to your satisfaction, you have the opportunity to purchase a new dress. 
  • edited December 2016
    I came here for help on alterations, but instead I have essentially been told off for ordering from China!
    I scoured the internet before deciding to buy, and of course there were a few bad outcomes but 90% were good. I mainly looked on wedding forums like these including weddingbee, weddingwire, ukbride, projectwedding etc, with photos of the actual dress they received.
    I have bought many 'knock offs' from china via ebay, but of course never a wedding dress. All other clothing items have been great, but obviously you have to do your research before buying.
    I knew buying from dressilyme was a risk, I took it. I knew it wouldn't be perfect, its not. I knew it would probably need some altering and it does. 
    Does my dress need to be perfect? Nope. Coz do I think I'm perfect? Nope. Do I want to be able to gloat that I paid silly amounts for my dress? Nope. Do I expect ppl to want me to stand still so they can pay close inspection to my dress for a stone out of place? Nope.
    I am having a gorgeous beachside wedding with 150 guests so do I want to look beautiful in a good fitting dress? Hell yeah. So it comes down to getting altered in length and body. And having good makeup & hair!  :)
    Do most wedding dresses not need adjusting? Fair enough mine a little more, but then I have the spare cash to be able to do that, plus some left over. I will not be working to pay of my dress for a year for sure.
    So, if it can be made better then brilliant. If not then I'll cross that hurdle when I get to it. 
    And I will definitely be posting updates! I hope that it can be made beautiful in every way. And don't forget: beautiful and perfect are not always the same thing  ;)

• edited December 2016
    Btw, I do appreciate everyone's input on this. It has helped in different ways :)

• I came here for help on alterations, but instead I have essentially been told off for ordering from China!
    I scoured the internet before deciding to buy, and of course there were a few bad outcomes but 90% were good. I mainly looked on wedding forums like these including weddingbee, weddingwire, ukbride, projectwedding etc, with photos of the actual dress they received.
    I have bought many 'knock offs' from china via ebay, but of course never a wedding dress. All other clothing items have been great, but obviously you have to do your research before buying.
    I knew buying from dressilyme was a risk, I took it. I knew it wouldn't be perfect, its not. I knew it would probably need some altering and it does. 
    Does my dress need to be perfect? Nope. Coz do I think I'm perfect? Nope. Do I want to be able to gloat that I paid silly amounts for my dress? Nope. Do I expect ppl to want me to stand still so they can pay close inspection to my dress for a stone out of place? Nope.
    I am having a gorgeous beachside wedding with 150 guests so do I want to look beautiful in a good fitting dress? Hell yeah. So it comes down to getting altered in length and body. And having good makeup & hair!  :)
    Do most wedding dresses not need adjusting? Fair enough mine a little more, but then I have the spare cash to be able to do that, plus some left over. I will not be working to pay of my dress for a year for sure.
    So, if it can be made better then brilliant. If not then I'll cross that hurdle when I get to it. 
    And I will definitely be posting updates! I hope that it can be made beautiful in every way. And don't forget: beautiful and perfect are not always the same thing  ;)

And you've been told you don't have to spend thousands on a beautiful dress. My dress was $500. You spent about half of what I did, but you'll likely have to spend about the same in the end to get yours looking right. 

Besides the fact that it's a risk to order from China, there are ethical reasons not to as well. 
  • My dress was $1000. I know that may seem like a lot to some people, but for me I had always thought I'd spend several thousand on a dress to get one I loved. I ended up buying the first dress I tried on, off the rack, and it was perfect. Only you will know what the right dress is. I hope you have luck altering this one to your expectations! 
  • I do not live in UK anymore, I didn't have the option to visit loads of bridal shops, it was limited with each shop being expensive. One dress I tried on that was similar to the one I have bought was £1900! And believe or not that was one of the lower priced dresses  :o
    There are no 'cheaper options' like that here in Cyprus. Of course I would of loved to be able to walk into a bridal shop and buy a dress knowing that it fit great. But I'd have to be rich! 
    I have a dress now, I will do my best to fix it. Well, technically I'll do my best to find a seamstress that an fix it  :D
  • OP - Again, start with pressing it, change out the petticoat to one that is less poofy (there are multiple levels of petticoat - from just a little pouf to a mile wide), switch to a flatter shoe, then decide what you want to do...  Until you've done those things...  

Image result for Big drink  I never said toss it in the bin, it's a question of taking 100% of the emotions out of it and focusing on the economics of putting money into a dress (regardless of where you purchased it) that you stated that YOU aren't entirely happy with in the first place...
  • Right, so first thing I will do is get it pressed. Because so far it hasn't hung at all apart from the 5 minutes I have worn it! Apart from that it has either been tightly boxed (fedex) or screwed up in a bin bag (not even folded)  :D 
    If after hanging / pressing there is a significant difference in appearance I will post photos. Although I doubt that will sort the 'twist' in bodice or lengthen it to the extent I want.
  • edited December 2016
    Kndcy01 said:
    I came here for help on alterations, but instead I have essentially been told off for ordering from China!

You could have found a reasonably priced dress on many other sites. Many brides sell their used dresses online for great prices. And believe it or not, I did not spend thousands on my dress, and it didn't take me years to pay off. You seem to be assuming that people paid "silly amounts" for their dresses, when that's really not the case. I think you've watched too many episodes of Say Yes to The Dress. 

Obviously you don't understand why ordering from these sellers is wrong - you just want cheap knock-off designs, so I'm not going to continue to argue with you. 
  • Kndcy01 said:
    Right, so first thing I will do is get it pressed. Because so far it hasn't hung at all apart from the 5 minutes I have worn it! Apart from that it has either been tightly boxed (fedex) or screwed up in a bin bag (not even folded)  :D 
    If after hanging / pressing there is a significant difference in appearance I will post photos. Although I doubt that will sort the 'twist' in bodice or lengthen it to the extent I want.
    Remember to steam and press by hand every last layer of the dress down to the liner!  The under-layers are just as important as the top for everything to lay just right.  Same goes for the petticoat.  
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Kndcy01 said:
    Right, so first thing I will do is get it pressed. Because so far it hasn't hung at all apart from the 5 minutes I have worn it! Apart from that it has either been tightly boxed (fedex) or screwed up in a bin bag (not even folded)  :D 
    Remember to steam and press by hand every last layer of the dress down to the liner!  The under-layers are just as important as the top for everything to lay just right.  Same goes for the petticoat.  
    I will take it somewhere that can do this for me. I wouldn't know where to start! Sooo many layers!

• People on high horses. Is everyone not just trying to make a living? Some putting a higher price tag thank others? My god, all I wanted was advice. Instead I'm getting these 'moral high ground' darlings putting their bit in. 
    I messed up, big deal. At least some family in 
    china will eat for a week!  :D
    And just take a look on your clothes tags, do you not realise that the majority of clothing and such is  made in china? Then money grabbing companies who pay minimal amount to the makers place a ridiculous mark up on said clothing?
    Defo wrong forum for me. I didn't expect to be surrounded by small minded snobs sitting high on their pedestals. 
    I asked for help on altering a dress. As was said before, had I not have stated where this dress was from half of you would keep your gobs shut. 
    Nothing left to say. I have had some great input from some wanting to offer a
    ctual advice rather than just wanting to let some steam off.  And I'm thankful for that. Rest of you just CHILL, if you didn't have any USEFUL advice then why comment? CHILL :)
  • edited December 2016
    Are you bipolar? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm serious. Your posts go from "thank you for your help" to "OMG everybody is so hateful and mean and you're snobs" in literally minutes!!
  •  :D:D   :D
    Your best retort?
    I'll rewrite that comment- 'spiteful' snobs on high horses. I'm out dolls.  ;)
  •  :D:D   :D
    Your best retort?
    I'll rewrite that comment- 'spiteful' snobs on high horses. I'm out dolls.  ;)
    LMFAO! Proof?
  • This is the most confusing post! She went from hating to loving to hating her dress, the advice and the forum! My head is spinning from all the changes in attitude.
  • This is the most confusing post! She went from hating to loving to hating her dress, the advice and the forum! My head is spinning from all the changes in attitude.
    That's why I sincerely think she might be bipolar. I'm not making light of a mental illness, there's seriously something wrong there. 
  • My head is spinning from how fast OP went from 'I love it' to 'I hate it' to 'thank you' to 'screw you'.
    I know! And I thought I gave her some really great advice. No one on here can tell her "it can totes be fixed by a seamstress and will cost $235.49." 
  • My thought was that some of the sites offer a future discount if you do an advertising post someplace else online and/or post a picture of yourself in the dress...  js..  I don't know all the specifics, I just remember there being something like this with one of the sites...
  • greeninspringgreeninspring member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    I don't think she was bipolar. Just my opinion. I personally think she was just feeling stressed and emotional over the situation, which is understandable since it is her wedding dress. I wouldn't have bought a dress from China, but she chose to and is still trying to find a way to accept it. I truly hope she can get it altered enough to meet her satisfactions and in her positive posts, it seemed as though she had an awesome attitude about it. I hope she doesn't beat herself up too much over it. Pretty simple solution...alter it, deal with it, or get a new dress.
  • It absolutely baffles me that anyone could think you could pay less than 5% of what something would normally cost and get anywhere close to what you want, or anything even usable, for that matter. You get what you pay for. (I realize OP deleted, but this is for the benefit of lurkers too)
    Having ordered from a couple sites, the important thing for lurkers to remember is to keep one's expectations in check.  It's NOT a "$3000-5000 value dress for $250", it's a $250 dress that the sellers still made a profit selling that if it doesn't fit or meet your expectations you're out $250 plus add-ons (I always planned that it needed to go to the dry cleaner's to get steamed/pressed out properly which was an extra $50-100, but money well spent to have things properly done).  I've had both ends of the experience from one suit that didn't fit (custom measurements using their directions sheet) to incredibly happy and still love the formal after I did some minor alterations on it (I couldn't find the formal style I wanted anywhere in a salon or elsewhere online in my size).  It's also important to do the research - look at images of "What I ordered vs. what I got" because some retailers online are better than others.  If you're one who doesn't have the skill of looking at the cut of an outfit and figuring out what type of frame it'll look best on, ordering online may not be the best idea.  
  • It absolutely baffles me that anyone could think you could pay less than 5% of what something would normally cost and get anywhere close to what you want, or anything even usable, for that matter. You get what you pay for. (I realize OP deleted, but this is for the benefit of lurkers too)

There are so many people that want more for less. My favourite scams are those buy one bottle of wine and get 6-36 bottles in return. I also love the people that you mention it is a pyramid scheme and they get all pissed off.
  • ernursej said:
    It absolutely baffles me that anyone could think you could pay less than 5% of what something would normally cost and get anywhere close to what you want, or anything even usable, for that matter. You get what you pay for. (I realize OP deleted, but this is for the benefit of lurkers too)

There are so many people that want more for less. My favourite scams are those buy one bottle of wine and get 6-36 bottles in return. I also love the people that you mention it is a pyramid scheme and they get all pissed off.
    Just got tagged in a wine thing. In Maryland it is illegal to do this. I let the person know to be careful shipping wine so it doesn't get confiscated by USPS- didn't even btoher mentioning it a huge scam/illegal to do chain mail of any kind.... she said she will order online from companies that will deliver.  My dad owns a liquor store and I've been to a few of those tupperware/pampered chef but for wine parties so I know shipping is insane: super expensive and the person must be there to accept it.
    I just dropped it before it got to the "lets spread cheer, don't be a debbie downer" since I was tagged by H's super well meaning cousin.