Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation Adress address help!

Hello,

So I'm getting married in a few months and we just sent out or Save the Dates- and my future MIL offered to help type labels for our envelopes.But when we got them, they were, well, pretty bad. Not centered, no Mr. Or Mrs./ Ms, and / instead of the word and. ( ie jack/jill) I truly appreciate her help, but she then told us she was too busy to do them correctly. Is it awful of me to ask the printer who does our invitations to print out envelooes, too? I know tradition says I should hand write them, but my handwriting is barely legible.

Re: Invitation Adress address help!

• No it's fine. 
  • There are differing opinions on addressing envelopes. A lot of people don't approve of labels on wedding invitations (myself included). Having the printer print addresses on the envelopes is becoming a more accepted way of addressing envelopes. That is the way I would go in your case.
  • You could print them, or you could print them in a script in a really light font and write/trace over them. They'll be handwritten, but will still look nice if you don't love your handwriting. 
  • Fine to print on the envelope.

What is most important is that they are legible and the information is correct. I would ask your invitation printer if they can do the envelopes too.
  • edited January 2017
    If this is a formal, black tie wedding, you should hand address the envelopes or hire someone to do so. Otherwise, having the addresses printed on the envelopes should be fine.

TBH, I'm a reckless soul, who is okay with pre-printed address labels, too, although I know technically it isn't correct. I've received wedding invitations with complementary pre-printed address labels that were beautiful, IMO, so you know I'm running with a wild crowd. 

edit - spelling

• This is one of those victimless etiquette crimes that won't affect anyone's comfort.  Unless you are having a black tie event, printed labels are fine. 

• This is so odd to me. Why would she say she'd do it if she didn't have enough time to do it correctly? She should have just not offered and saved you both time and headaches. 

Beyond that, yea, victimless crime to print them. 
  • Totally fine to ask the printer to do them/DIY print the envelopes.

This is one of those cases where I would tell a white lie to FMIL. Maybe the labels wouldn't stick right to the envelopes, or the color was a little off and looks funny, or maybe the printer was offering a deal where they printed them all for free as part of your order?