Wedding Woes

Four men.

Dear Prudence,
I feel totally trapped. Six years ago, after raising two successful children and finalizing an amicable divorce, I married a man with a troubled 17-year-old child. I didn’t marry my husband until his son was out of the house, but he’s continued to be a problem—calling constantly for money and dealing drugs. He went to prison for nine months after getting his girlfriend pregnant (who also has a drug problem), and it was the most peace any of us had ever had. My husband has tried to keep the worst away from me, but it causes him a lot of stress. We now have temporary custody of their 4-year-old (her family has too much criminal history to qualify). We are the boy’s only alternative to foster care and I have serious doubts his parents will be able to get their acts together within a year, which is the current limit for reunification.

Our life before this consisted of lots of traveling, going out to dinner, and doing what we wanted after having raised our own kids and working hard. I’ve decided that I want to stay, in no small part because I don’t have any friends, which I realized after my first divorce, and would be devastatingly alone if I left. I love my husband and hope to get our life back after this detour. This child is a good kid, but he is difficult and has been through a lot: He doesn’t sleep well, he’s very obstinate, and I find myself resentful that I’m in this terrible place. My husband apologizes and says I don’t have to stay, and I recognize he has no choice. He can’t send his grandson into foster care. I feel like I have no good choice. I hate the boy’s parents for putting me in this situation, and I don’t know what to do to make this work and to stop being so angry. This little boy doesn’t deserve more screwed-up people around him and I was a great mom once. I just don’t know if I can do it again.

—Resentful

Re: Four men.

• I hate that she's calling this a "detour."  It makes me prickly.

Yes.  This woman needs a version of the game show "This Is Your Life" that's steeped in reality.  Actually, I know a few people who need that.  
  • I'll add that I ruffle a little bit that "raise this kid" and "leave-and be alone forever" and "put the kid in foster care" are the only options.

I know there aren't a lot of awesome options, but surely there are SOME?
    Respite care for occasions (which, if the state is involved, should exist), adoption type options (which is a big hairy deal and is the dad/mom/grandfatehr choice, not MrsConn's, but, still), make some effing friends, get some family counseling....
    Surely MrsConn can see more than just those 2?

Although I gues ssometimes when you're in it, you need someone else to point these things out, that's why you write letters to prudie.
  • I would love to know what Prudie's response to this LW was, I feel like this is one of those letters where she would miss the mark. 

I think the counseling for all is the first step to make.  The child probably has some disabilities if the mother was using drugs during the pregnancy.  While I'm sure they could get frustrating to deal with, there also needs to be some compassion towards him.

All I can see are LW's selfish wants.  To have her H to herself, to travel, go out to dinner, not be alone, etc.  But the other part she is missing is that this small child who is her grandchild by marriage NEEDS as stable of a life as s/he can get.  So as S+S mentioned above, LW needs to go all in or all out.  Resenting the child will help no one.

• I’m so sorry for the situation you’re in. It’s clear that you want to do better for your husband’s grandson, and you understand that your anger and resentment aren’t helping any of you, and I want to commend you for that level of self-awareness. Though you are aware that your husband’s young grandson is not at fault (nor is he being “difficult” on purpose), and might be better off with your help, this was not a life you expected to enter into six years ago, and this is a significant and understandable shock to your system. But ultimately you’ll have to answer for yourself whether you’re willing and able to stay in your marriage if it means helping to raise another child for the next 14 years. This may very well not be a “detour” but the new order of your husband’s life. If the answer is no, as it seems to be, it may be better for you to leave now, before your resentments build and begin to negatively affect him. If the main reason keeping you in your marriage now is a fear of loneliness, that’s not a very healthy foundation for a relationship.

But regardless of whether you stay or go, I think you should do two things right away: seek counseling for dealing with these intense, overwhelming feelings of resentment, and spend at least a few hours every week cultivating a social life outside of your husband and grandson, whether reconnecting with old friends you’ve lost touch with or developing new interests that get you out of the houseand in new social situations. It may be that attending to your own emotional well-being will give you the clarity you need for the difficult decision ahead of you.

• My grandparents took me in when I was 12.  My grandmother made the decision and grandpa went along.  He wasn't super thrilled about the new kid showing up, though he felt a sense of duty, I suspect.

It took a long time (I call both my grandparents Mom and Dad), but Dad came around.  I would say at least 3 years.  Once I could drive on my own and wasn't such a burden, it lessened for him a lot I think.  Then he could see me as an actual person in his life and not just a drain.  IDK what I think it did to our relationship, b/c our relationship has changed a lot over the years, both good and bad.

IDK what I'd tell this woman to do.  I can see both sides.  But if she's going to be totally unable to get past it, even with counseling, maybe she should just go.
  • mrsconn23 said:

I’m so sorry for the situation you’re in. It’s clear that you want to do better for your husband’s grandson, and you understand that your anger and resentment aren’t helping any of you, and I want to commend you for that level of self-awareness. Though you are aware that your husband’s young grandson is not at fault (nor is he being “difficult” on purpose), and might be better off with your help, this was not a life you expected to enter into six years ago, and this is a significant and understandable shock to your system. But ultimately you’ll have to answer for yourself whether you’re willing and able to stay in your marriage if it means helping to raise another child for the next 14 years. This may very well not be a “detour” but the new order of your husband’s life. If the answer is no, as it seems to be, it may be better for you to leave now, before your resentments build and begin to negatively affect him. If the main reason keeping you in your marriage now is a fear of loneliness, that’s not a very healthy foundation for a relationship.

But regardless of whether you stay or go, I think you should do two things right away: seek counseling for dealing with these intense, overwhelming feelings of resentment, and spend at least a few hours every week cultivating a social life outside of your husband and grandson, whether reconnecting with old friends you’ve lost touch with or developing new interests that get you out of the houseand in new social situations. It may be that attending to your own emotional well-being will give you the clarity you need for the difficult decision ahead of you.

Prudie was pretty spot on this time.  I do think this is one of those times when she should have provided the LW a harsher response though.  I feel like she often overreacts, but then for a letter like this, she is meh.
  • There's a shitton of red flags on the part of LW, and I'm not excusing that, but WTELF at the husband not making this huge life decision *with* his wife. I find that pretty inexcusable. The least he could have done was sat down with her, discussed different options, impact to their lives, what they both wanted, and a timeline to make a decision. If he was dead set on taking the child and she was completely against it, they could have compromised on a trial period (6 months, a year) and then reevaluated.

There's a lot of other options, as GBCK said, beyond foster care, the unfit parents, and grandparents taking full custody. 

Based on her letter, it sounds like she needs to get a life, and leave. The kid has enough problems without adding in a resentful grandmother.

• *Barbie* said:
    There's a shitton of red flags on the part of LW, and I'm not excusing that, but WTELF at the husband not making this huge life decision *with* his wife. I find that pretty inexcusable. The least he could have done was sat down with her, discussed different options, impact to their lives, what they both wanted, and a timeline to make a decision. If he was dead set on taking the child and she was completely against it, they could have compromised on a trial period (6 months, a year) and then reevaluated.

There's a lot of other options, as GBCK said, beyond foster care, the unfit parents, and grandparents taking full custody. 

Based on her letter, it sounds like she needs to get a life, and leave. The kid has enough problems without adding in a resentful grandmother.

Preach!  That was my 1st thought.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Naranon - find a meeting
    Did you mean to post this in the thread where the LW has an alcoholic uncle?

This LW doesn't want to raise her husband's son's child. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

No, I mean it in this one (I haven't made it through all the Prudies yet).  The H is enabling the son and the wife is enabling the H.  

Her life, in her opinion, is becoming unmanageable/not what she wants, because of the choices of the addict and she is angry about that and unsure of what to do.  No one else can tell her what is right for her.  She needs to do her own personal inventory and decide for herself if she wants to stay, if so what boundaries she will establish for herself, and how to release herself from the anger.

No, I mean it in this one (I haven't made it through all the Prudies yet).  The H is enabling the son and the wife is enabling the H.  

Her life, in her opinion, is becoming unmanageable/not what she wants, because of the choices of the addict and she is angry about that and unsure of what to do.  No one else can tell her what is right for her.  She needs to do her own personal inventory and decide for herself if she wants to stay, if so what boundaries she will establish for herself, and how to release herself from the anger.
    Ooooooh duh.  Sorry I had the dumbs on the way home ><

Ooooooh duh.  Sorry I had the dumbs on the way home ><
    That's okay!  I think our immediate reactions to things are based on our experiences.  As a NarAnon member, I immediately go to the 12 steps when addiction is involved.
  • Heffalump said:
    *Barbie* said:
    There's a shitton of red flags on the part of LW, and I'm not excusing that, but WTELF at the husband not making this huge life decision *with* his wife. I find that pretty inexcusable. The least he could have done was sat down with her, discussed different options, impact to their lives, what they both wanted, and a timeline to make a decision. If he was dead set on taking the child and she was completely against it, they could have compromised on a trial period (6 months, a year) and then reevaluated.

True, but in his defense, sometimes you don't have time to sort all this out beforehand.  DH has a cousin who was arrested with his wife for cooking meth in their trailer, and FIL got a call that said "Can you come pick up their girls (4 and 2 at the time), or should we put them in foster care?"  There was not much time for weighing pros and cons, it was literally "come get these kids or they're in the system." 

It would be nice if they had more time to deliberate, for sure, but it doesn't work that way.  Kids need someone to take care of them, and they're either going to Place A or Place B--they can't hang out in the police cruiser while various relatives debate the relative merits of each scenario.  Someone has to feed them, give them a bath, and put them to bed that night.

I'm guessing in the moment, the LW's husband said "Sure, we'll take him," because what else can you really do with your own grandchild?  He may have discussed it with the LW, but briefly, and she may have been so blindsided that she just said "Well, okay," before either of them could really think through the implications.  Maybe she thought it was temporary, and someone else would take them long-term.  (The letter did say that the boy's mother's family was disqualified, which makes it sound like maybe they wanted to or tried but couldn't.)  That's not to say that it's not a suck situation for her, because it is, but it's not like he swung by an orphanage on the way home and picked up a kid on a whim.

BTW, I think I mentioned before, but DH's cousin's girls (above) have turned out so well, especially given the circumstances.  Their grandmother (who lived out of state at the time) ended up adopting them and has really done a great job with them.  No idea what happened to their mother, and their father died when he ran his truck off a county road and hit a tree.  Killed himself and two passengers, and toxicology came back with just about everything under the sun.  Fortunately for the girls, by then he was (not surprisingly) not a presence in their lives.
    Considering, he hides the worst of his sons addiction and behavior from her I'm going to go ahead and assume she was complicity blindsided because she preferred to not know what was going on.  You can't ask to be kept in the dark and then complain you weren't involved or didn't have enough time to make a decision.  They could and should have discussed boundaries and what they are and aren't willing to do long before it got to this point.
    Exactly.  Not the same but, it's a rolling conversation in my house regarding the kiddo.  He's probably going to go to a local college, work, and live at home.   DH and I are dealing with what 'threshold' we'll put up with if he starts fucking around (because he's not the most focused and mature kid...yet), not staying in school or keeping jobs or whatever.   He's looking at part time jobs right now, so we're hopeful that taste of working, money, and responsibility will help him to grow up a bit.  

They probably never, ever had this conversation.  Remember, she raised 'successful' kids.   
  • PGL - I just want to clarify that I don't think people who are childless by choice are selfish.  When I read the letter all I got from LW is me, me, me.  If she was blindsided by taking the grandchild in and eventually realized that she didn't want to raise another child, that's fine.  But she should have left long ago.

What gets me about this LW is that it could have been something other than a child that changed her life.  What if instead of taking the grandchild in, they had a financial crisis or a medical crisis?  For a different reason, LW would not have been able to go out to dinner or travel either.  She still would be lonely if she left in either of those circumstances.  That is why I think LW is selfish. 

I see, so you think she's selfish because she admitted she's staying in the marraige bc if she leaves she'll be lonely? 

I can see your point there.  I don't think she's being selfish for admitting she prefers her old lifestyle- going out to dinner, traveling, general freedom- over raising a child again.

I imagine she hasn't left yet because she still loves her husband, and she's on the fence about whether this is a dealbreaker or if she can accept it as her new reality.  Plus she's already once divorced so I'm sure she's not relishing the idea of having 2 failed marriages.  And there's a stigma around not wanting to be a parent, too.

This is where I am, too.  I'm not judging her for not wanting to raise a grandchild.  It's not easy, and it's a strain, and it's a shock to wake up to something like that.  And it absolutely isn't fair.  To any party involved.  I just don't like the tone of her letter, word choice, or the rationale she chose to provide.  "Don't want to leave because I'll be lonely."  "Want my life back."  Etc.  I know it's hard to not focus on the unfairness of it all, but I could never imagine leaving my husband because of a situation like this.  For better or worse, right?

Depends on what the LW's definition of worse is though, right?  She was just being honest in her tone.

I totally agree with everyone- If she's going to be miserable and resentful of this child and her husband and the new life she'll need to adjust to, she should leave now rather than making their lives miserable long term.