Wedding Woes

DrillSergeantCat Nextdoor

Ro041Ro041 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2017 in Wedding Woes
This came up on Nextdoor and I had a good laugh:

Poster:  While out back with my dog I noticed foot prints that were not mine leading from my back yard to my front yard.  Gates are locked so they had to jump them.  Pretty freaked out now.
Commenter:  That's from where Jesus carried you.   o:)

Maybe your guy is just getting knocks on his house from Jesus?

Edited: words

Re: DrillSergeantCat Nextdoor

• OMG That's too good!
  • Omg, I need someone like that on my nextdoor.  

• Commenter used the angel emoji and everything...

• I can't stop laughing

• @Ro041, as much as I'm cracking up over the commenter to your neighbor's concern, but in all reality they can be quite valid.  Shortly after I moved into my house, I came home to find a muddy sneaker footprint on my white door.  My H and I filed it into the "odd" category.  The next day, we weren't wondering anymore.  Someone had broken into our home's front door with a crowbar.  Because apparently they hadn't been able to kick the door down the day before.

Our house is a bigger "key" lot.  Which means the backyards of surrounding properties connect to ours.  These same thieves used our ladder to climb over our fence and rob two other neighbors, using their back doors.

@*Barbie*, we also had complaints on NextDoor about fireworks being used at 2AM.  I love a good parody.  Go "storm complainer" guy.

My dog gets edgy and nervous with fireworks or thunder, but isn't too bad.  It's actually really sweet because she'll make a beeline for either my lap or my H's lap and just snuggles us even harder than usual.

On NYE, I also found that as the fireworks were dying down, my asking her if she wanted a treat immediately erased the last vestiges of fear.  She excitedly jumped off my lap, onto the floor, and started heading to the kitchen.  Giving me continual backward glances to make sure I was following, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I understand the dog/fireworks thing.  Fireworks aren't "legal" here but they are pretty rampant.  I work in dog rescue and we see so many dogs come into shelters or get lost on nights with fireworks.  Many dogs go outside, hear fireworks and bolt.  They can be so terrified that they go into hiding for days at times and we often need to trap them.  It's really sad.

One of my personal dogs just hides and shakes violently.  She lived outside in a rural area before we got her and I think she has doggie PTSD when fireworks go off.  Granted - she does the same thing when there is thunder, so maybe that guy is onto something by banning thunder too!

@short+sassy - that sucks that you had your house broken into!  I figured the footsteps were probably kids jumping fences (most homes in my neighborhood have short 4 foot chain link fences) rather than using sidewalks since the prints didn't go near the house.  

• @Ro041 I've always wondered if animals can have PTSD. My female cat was born just a few days before a devastating tornado and whenever she hears the tornado sirens being tested on Saturdays, she runs and hides.
  • @DrillSergeantCat  - I really think they can have elements of it.  Your poor kitty.  :(  FI has to wrap up pup in a blanket and hug her until she stops shaking.  We turn on the TV and try to wait out fireworks/storms.  We don't even bother to try to take her outside to use the restroom.  

• @Ro041 I've always wondered if animals can have PTSD. My female cat was born just a few days before a devastating tornado and whenever she hears the tornado sirens being tested on Saturdays, she runs and hides.

Very much so.  I saw it with two different cats after Hurricane Katrina.  My friend had left her two cats in the house while they evacuated.  Figuring they'd be back in a few days.  It was over two months before they could return.  Somehow the cats survived.  Her house had initially flooded 4-5' and then the standing water that was left after the surge was 18".  One of her cats was fine, but the other one turned totally feral.  It wouldn't let them near her and would hiss.  It also refused to stay in their house or ever come back in, once it got outside.  It spent the rest of its life living in the backyard.

A neighbor had something similar happen.  Left their cat in the house when they evacuated, figuring they'd be back in a few days.  It was also about two months before they could return.  Their cat survived also.  It had previously always been an indoor cat but, after that ordeal, it preferred staying outside as much as possible.  They would bring the cat in at night, but it was about a year before they could even do that.  And it would hang out by the door waiting to be let out again.  They, at least, did not have any flood waters in their house.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She's better about it now that we don't have a siren 300 feet from the house, but at my old house, she tuck tail and run. She'd eventually come out after an hour or so. She's deathly afraid of outside, though. My male wants to go outside so badly that he'll occasionally stalk the door and run out as we're coming in, but if you even act like you're going to put her outside, she freaks. 
  • She's better about it now that we don't have a siren 300 feet from the house, but at my old house, she tuck tail and run. She'd eventually come out after an hour or so. She's deathly afraid of outside, though. My male wants to go outside so badly that he'll occasionally stalk the door and run out as we're coming in, but if you even act like you're going to put her outside, she freaks. 

We have 2 males and its a similar thing.  Our bigger cat was raised in a home and wants to go outside all the time.  He is a bit of a door darter (despite our best efforts to curb this), and will sometimes beg and whine at the door.  He never goes too far if he escapes and wont go out in the extreme cold/rain/snow.  Our little guy was on his own/feral but friendly as a kitten.  He even ran away once for a couple of days right after we brought him home.  After that adventure and subsequent vet visit for a de-worming and once-over he has NO interest in the outside.  If you pick him up and carry him towards the door he will fight to get out of your arms and run back INSIDE the house.

I thoroughly believe that the big guy is just so happy-go-lucky and chill because he has always had everything he needed.  Meanwhile our little guy is a bit more shy of new people and is downright petrified of the outside because he once lived it. Animal-PTSD is a real thing.

• Neighbor has now decided that the biker gang is banging on his house with sticks. I've seen this dude's house. There's zero way that a biker gang is pulling into his driveway, banging on his house, and getting away in the time it takes for him to look out the window. His house is on a major street and sits back from this street a couple hundred feet. So they're not parking in the street to go terrorize him. 
  • @DrillSergeantCat  - do you have many biker gangs in your area?  I mean, that wouldn't be my go-to group of suspects....

• Neighbor has now decided that the biker gang is banging on his house with sticks. I've seen this dude's house. There's zero way that a biker gang is pulling into his driveway, banging on his house, and getting away in the time it takes for him to look out the window. His house is on a major street and sits back from this street a couple hundred feet. So they're not parking in the street to go terrorize him. 
    Biker mice from Mars?

Explains a lot of the unexplainables here...

(Side note:  I may be the only person in the entire world who remembers that show...)

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

Biker mice from Mars?

Explains a lot of the unexplainables here...

(Side note:  I may be the only person in the entire world who remembers that show...)
    Nope, I know what you are talking about...god I'm old.
  • Ro041 said:
    @DrillSergeantCat  - do you have many biker gangs in your area?  I mean, that wouldn't be my go-to group of suspects....
    We do, but they're not really the kind to bang on old men's houses in broad daylight like he's claiming.
  • So now he's claiming robbery and/or attempted murder. 
  • Wait....did he actually see the robbers/attempted murderers?  

• So now he's claiming robbery and/or attempted murder. 
    This poor guy....is there a local agency for the aging you can call?
  • I guess I could call DHS. He calls the police constantly, though, so they must be aware of his mental state.
  • I guess I could call DHS. He calls the police constantly, though, so they must be aware of his mental state.
    Yeah but that doesn't mean they're referring him for help either.
    Yeah but that doesn't mean they're referring him for help either.
    That's true.
  • How are you feeling today, @DrillSergeantCat?
  • I have never heard of anyone declining fluoride for any good reason.  

• Ro041 said:
    I have never heard of anyone declining fluoride for any good reason.  
    I used to decline it because I would throw up every time I had to use the concentrated version at the dentist's office, and I figured that just defeated the purpose. I chose to stop getting it at the dentist when I was around 16.  I should probably note I'm almost 30 and I've never had a cavity, because while I was given the crooked teeth from hell that took nearly 10 years of braces to fix, apparently my enamel is blessed.  lol.  

• My dentist's chairs have a massage feature.  That's about it for "what I look for in a dentist", lol.
    I'm adding massage chair and liberal use of laughing gas to my next dentist search.
  • levioosa said:
    Ro041 said:
    I have never heard of anyone declining fluoride for any good reason.  
    I used to decline it because I would throw up every time I had to use the concentrated version at the dentist's office, and I figured that just defeated the purpose. I chose to stop getting it at the dentist when I was around 16.  I should probably note I'm almost 30 and I've never had a cavity, because while I was given the crooked teeth from hell that took nearly 10 years of braces to fix, apparently my enamel is blessed.  lol.  
    Your reasoning makes sense.

Actually my dentist does push fluoride for my teeth. They're weak for whatever reason. She suggested a mouth wash for more constant upkeep, and it's definitely helped