Wedding Invitations & Paper

Direction card help

Hi all,

We have a mixture of ages on our guest list and I'm trying to determine the best way to handle direction cards. We have reserved a room block and the ceremony and reception are at the same place. Should the invitation directions be to the hotel AND  to the venue or just to the venue? Also, how many locations did you give directions from? Our direction card has very limited space and I need to also include room block information on it. Our STDs did have room block info and directions to the hotel from 5 points but I'm not sure if people kept the card or just the magnet inside. Thanks!

Re: Direction card help

• I wouldn't do a direction card at all unless your location is particularly difficult to find. 
  • Maybe have a separate room block card? I agree that unless your venue is in a place that's difficult to get to, a direction card isn't necessary.
  • I have seen a direction card for a downtown area wedding that had the venues on it plus other prominent buildings on it. With google maps, I probably wouldn't spend the money on something like this unless your venue is really hard to find/out of the way.
  • Thank you ladies. I don't think the venue is hard to find so maybe we can skip it.
  • Everybody has a cell phone navigator or a Garmen these days.  If you listed the address on your invitation, people will find it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • List address to the venue only. Your guests may or may not stay in your hotel block- leave that up to them.

I agree I don't think you need a direction card unless the venue is hard to find. Your guests will find the location the same way they'd look for any other building.

We did include directions on our wedding website, mostly for our OOT guests. We were able to include a map and we highlight the venue, the 2 hotels with room blocks and the 2 airports guest could fly into. More so guests could get an idea of the area and relative location.
  • SP29 said:
    List address to the venue only. Your guests may or may not stay in your hotel block- leave that up to them.

I agree I don't think you need a direction card unless the venue is hard to find. Your guests will find the location the same way they'd look for any other building.

We did include directions on our wedding website, mostly for our OOT guests. We were able to include a map and we highlight the venue, the 2 hotels with room blocks and the 2 airports guest could fly into. More so guests could get an idea of the area and relative location.

I like the idea of placing it on your website.

We considered doing direction cards at one point but decided it wasn't necessary/worth the cost of added paper and postage.

• My mom was HELL BENT on me sending a direction card (our hotels are all within a few blocks and there are a couple of those "take this exit, keep left, keep right" directions to get to the venue). I didn't want to cram a bunch of paper in the envelope or create more waste.

I printed off small slips with our website that said something like "For more information including travel details, see our website" and put the link. Then on the website, I linked to Google maps from the hotels to the venue. I figured that way I was giving guests a heads up that the directions may be a bit confusing, but not making everyone keep track of another piece of paper.