Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Greek Orthodox Wedding with no Music

I hope someone out there can help me!  I am Greek Orthodox and my fiance and I are getting married in my church in October, but the priest of the church we are using does not allow ANY music during the ceremony.  When I say no music, I mean no instruments on recorded music.  He will only allow chanters or a choir, a capella.  We tried switching churches but unfortunately this is our only option.  Have any other brides run into this situation and if so, what did you do?  Having a sole chanter or even a choir sing with no music gives a somber, almost funeral like feel to the ceremony in my opinion.  I just don't know what to do about procession/recession hymns to make it not feel so somber.  Ideas??  Thank you!! 

Re: Greek Orthodox Wedding with no Music

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    Why is that particular church the only possible venue for your ceremony? Is your ceremony required to take place inside a church?

If it isn't, I'd consider finding another location for your ceremony that allows you to play the kind of music you'd prefer. Otherwise, if that church is your only option, I'd skip the music altogether if you'd rather not have chanters or a choir.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    I hope someone out there can help me!  I am Greek Orthodox and my fiance and I are getting married in my church in October, but the priest of the church we are using does not allow ANY music during the ceremony.  When I say no music, I mean no instruments on recorded music.  He will only allow chanters or a choir, a capella.  We tried switching churches but unfortunately this is our only option.  Have any other brides run into this situation and if so, what did you do?  Having a sole chanter or even a choir sing with no music gives a somber, almost funeral like feel to the ceremony in my opinion.  I just don't know what to do about procession/recession hymns to make it not feel so somber.  Ideas??  Thank you!! 
    You say that you are Greek Orthodox?  I do not understand why this is news to you.  The Greek Orthodox vocal only music rule has been in force for centuries.  I am sorry if this doesn't meet your expectations, but their church, their rules.
    In the Greek Orthodox church, as you must already know, marriage is a Holy Sacrament, just like the Mass.  Their rules are very strict.  A marriage in a Roman Catholic Church would be recognized by the Greek Orthodox Church, but you would need a Catholic priest to go along with this plan.

PS.  I was privileged to attend a Mass in an Eastern Orthodox Church in Estonia.  I thought it was beautiful, spiritual, and not at all funereal.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If it is a requirement of your marriage service, then there is nothing you can do about it. Chose one of the options you have (chanters or choir), or if you don't like those options, no music at all.
  • I would look at a capella options. I've heard lots of a capella groups that sound so lovely. Find out the list of approved songs and then start searching for a group.
  • I used to be part of a choir that would do acapella songs that were appropriate for church, and still upbeat.  Even the formal songs did not sound "somber" unless they were meant to be that way (like a requiem) or serious hymn.  We used to do church weddings all the time.    

• Why not talk to the priest to see what is often done?   Does the parish have a choir?  I know when I got married in our Catholic church DH and I picked organ music from a CD.   Is it possible that they have something similar?   Could you attend a wedding to witness?