Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Step Cousins & Significant Others - Invite to Wedding

Hi All -

We are finalizing our guest list and I have a couple of questions. 

1. My first cousin  who is 20 years older than me has been married to a woman since the time I was a child. Over the years I have kept in touch with her daughter from another marriage, (my 2nd step-cousin by marriage) but not with her son. Would it be rude to JUST invite her daughter and not her son who I have absolutely no relation with anymore? I don't want to offend anyone, but it is not blood family so I am wondering if this is okay. The daughter has a boyfriend so she will get a plus one. 

2. What is the approach if people are in a new relationship when we send out the invites but single now? We have only budgeted for so many so I am confused what to do, although my guess is that I am suppose to invite the significant other no matter what? 

Thanks!

Re: Step Cousins & Significant Others - Invite to Wedding

• Options
    As the brother and sister are adults you can invite, or not invite, as you wish. It's not rude to only invite people you're close to in this case. Also, her boyfriend isn't a 'plus one' he's her significant other and should be invited by name. 

As for other guests, in they consider themselves in a relationship when you send out invitations, regardless of length of time, they must be invited together, by name. The best way to plan for this is to build in enough extra room in your guest list for every single guest to be in a relationship. Then when you send out invites if they are, great you've budgeted for them, if not then you have extra money/space.