Wedding Etiquette Forum

Do we send save the dates/shower invites to family with a wedding on the same day?

We have family members hosting an out of town wedding on the same day as ours so of course, they can't attend. My mother wants to invite them to the shower but since they indefinitely can't come to the wedding, isn't that rude? Do they still receive a save the date as well? 

Answers

• If you want to invite them, yes, you send them these things, even though you know they cannot attend. My husband's closest childhood friend got married the same day we did. We sent to them, and they sent to us. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would send them invitations still. Lets them know you are thinking of them, even if they can't attend.

• I'd go ahead and invite them. Even though right now it seems highly unlikely that they'll attend, something may change -- and even if it doesn't, they'll know you're thinking about them and would like to include them.
  • I would.   I invited people I knew wouldn't attend just to let them know they were still welcome in case anything came up. 
  • I would too. You never know what can change with someone's plans. I've been invited to things that I initially thought I couldn't make, but then my other plans fell through. Plus I think it also makes people feel included and not left out, and everyone likes that.