Wedding Woes

Is there a Wednesday post?

There is now.  Darn mrs.conn and her day off.  (I think she said today was her day off?)

One of DS's friends has a little brother who's been in and out of the hospital with pneumonia and all kinds of other respiratory trouble practically since birth.  His pediatrician recently recommended that he quit DC because his immune system just can't handle it.  So his mom was scrambling to try to find child care.  Now he's back in the hospital and they're putting some kind of a camera in his lungs to try to figure out what's going on.  Poor kiddo.  (Poor parents, too.) 

It was crazy foggy when we woke up, one of those days where it looks like you're in a movie or a dream or something, so unreal.  But warm--I didn't even need a jacket this morning.  It's supposed to be 71 today.   

This Saturday, I had the cats scheduled for their checkups at 9:00.  I figured if we weren't home in time to get DS to swim, DH could take him.  Then Wooz was invited to a birthday party at the same time as DS's swim class.  So now she and I are taking the cats to the vet, tossing them onto the front lawn on our way to the party (an exaggeration, but not by much), and DH is taking DS to swim.  Ugh.  Then it's Date Night that night.  DH wants to eat and then go see Rogue One. 

Re: Is there a Wednesday post?

• My boss retired at the beginning of the year and they haven't filled her position (hiring freeze - thanks T).  So, I am doing her job and my job for the next two weeks.  Ugh.

I am going to a fundraiser tonight that is an all-you-can-eat pizza and beer party.  I should have worn stretchy pants today.

I also found out that I strained my rotator cuff and now I need physical therapy for the next 6 weeks.  Boo.

• @Heffalump  poor family! must be rough, especially not knowing what's up. Hopefully they get some answers soon :(
    And tossing cats on the lawn seems fine to me .... they're pretty resourceful ;)
    FYI if you're a Star Wars fan, you'll like Rogue One. It's pretty action packed so it feels somewhat intense.

Not much last night. Been trying to clear up the rooms upstairs. I got the closet pretty much done for what I can and next room is office. We got that started last weekend, and now it's mainly the stuff on the floor. I think we might look at another desk because it's just easier space wise.

Started talking to one of my former bffs. I haven't actually talked to him in almost 2 years, so it's odd. I'm glad it's not like before, because I use to be so in love with him {he's with a guy. Tbh I'm not sure if he's bi or gay, because we did date and slept together and he's been with another girl.}
    He was legit the guy everyone thought I'd end up with. Irony, he has the same name as M so I like to say "You were right name wise, just different person" It works.

ALSO! I tried that "one pan meal" last night. I think I used too much oil, but I like how the green beans turned out :)

Tonight is likely something easy like pizza, because I want to finish cleaning up. I need to tackle that dining room table. I would also like to know where those cute snowflake earrings went that my MIL gave me for xmas :(

Random question, has anyone here used ColourPop? Not right now, but at some point I'm thinking about ordering it and just not sure if it's good. Idk anyone who's used it.
  • My internet is on the fritz.  I am impressed they can get a tech her this afternoon, but it makes work a PITA so I'm cleaning and baking. 

This woman at church is trying to organize five women for a meeting.  She has changed the time 4 times.  The last one she picked is one I couldn't make so I told her to just keep it.  She's making it far too difficult and I don't even know if I want to be involved.

DH called in sick yesterday for the first time in his life that he wasn't actually sick.  (I think he's only called off sick 2 other times period).  We picked up the couch I wanted from a further Costco and he put together a fancy new goal.

A comment on the tax refund.  I try to hit zero, but have never come within $1k even.  We used to get bonuses in December and that made it impossible to plan.  Now DH gets bonuses with no rhyme or reason and I still haven't quite figured out state employee taxes. 
  • I have that nagging feeling that I have forgotten something important.  This one feels like a whammy.  I hope it's just one of those residual dream fragments, but I'm not sure.

Last night, I made dinner and I gave DH a 10 minute warning, a 2-minute warning, and the "dinner is on the table" because he is notoriously slow about getting to the table (even when he's not doing anything; so annoying, my dad is the same way.  Wife time =/= husband time).  After a couple minutes, I sat down and said, "Dinner is ready," and he said, "Okay."  A full five minutes after I had put everything out, I gave him a third "Dinner is on the table" and started eating.  He got a little huffy because he felt like I was nagging him.  I was, but that's beside the point.

So when he finally dragged his butt to the table several minutes after THAT and starting eating, he looked at me and said, "It's cold."

Face.  Palm.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Last night, I made dinner and I gave DH a 10 minute warning, a 2-minute warning, and the "dinner is on the table" because he is notoriously slow about getting to the table (even when he's not doing anything; so annoying, my dad is the same way.  Wife time =/= husband time).  After a couple minutes, I sat down and said, "Dinner is ready," and he said, "Okay."  A full five minutes after I had put everything out, I gave him a third "Dinner is on the table" and started eating.  He got a little huffy because he felt like I was nagging him.  I was, but that's beside the point.

So when he finally dragged his butt to the table several minutes after THAT and starting eating, he looked at me and said, "It's cold."

Face.  Palm.
    @atomicblonde  i'm sure its just venting/annoyance on your part, but when you talk about your husband, he usually comes across as a dick. 
    next time, let him make his own dinner. 

I figured out how to get DK to the theater - suggest going when he's tired, and buy the tickets after he goes to sleep. (He was all, "yeah, sure, Wolverine liked Wicked. if you want to get tickets for something this year, fine.") So I got tickets for Finding Neverland (April) and The Lion King (July) last night. I also added us to the wait list for a season subscription for 2017/2018. I don't know if I'll get him to agree to that, but I saw Hamilton is coming in 2018 and figured that may be the best way to get tickets. 

I'm tired today - just feel like i'm dragging a bit. I need to charter a new project and get it to my boss to review/give feedback. It's due Friday and I have to present it to the leadership team next week, so probably spending most of the day on that. I need to write this up in the right way so I can play the politics and use it as leverage for a raise/promotion/awesome review. (Basically, give a aggressive goal (from a leadership perspective) that I know I will be able to exceed - and then exceed the goal - get the 1x or 2x goal - new boss couldn't come right out and say this, but I got the hidden message.)
  • Heffa - That is a shame about DSs friend's little brother.  Hopefully they can get to the bottom of his issues! 

Atomic - That wouldn't stand with me!  We had ILs over for dinner on Saturday night.  I said 3 times dinner was done.  MIL, her BF, and SIL made no motions to move to the dining room.  BIL, H and I all did.  I even started putting food on my plate before the others arrived.  I like eating my food hot, sorrynotsorry if you didn't move fast enough!

Ro - Liked your post for the all you can eat pizza (that's a pregnant lady dream!), not the rotator cuff stuff.  Hope that gets worked out for you!

My throat is feeling even worse today.  I also didn't sleep that well again last night.  I would have called out, but we are expecting snow overnight, so I am waiting to use that day for tomorrow.  We are supposed to get up to 8 inches, but my office hardly ever closes. 

I got through my yoga class yesterday and she focused on immunity poses, so now they just need to kick in!

Tonight H & I are going to this great place for dinner.  They are known for their grilled cheeses and Bobby Flay even showed up there for a grilled cheese show down.  It's a retro soda jerk type place.  We have a groupon and are thinking of splitting a sandwich and fries, just so we can also split a dessert!  We are usually too full to get dessert!

• @Heffalump oh no! Poor little kiddo :-( And his parents - I hope they find some answers for him soon.

We also had fog this morning, but there is a cold front/blizzard/Noreaster on the way even though it is going to be in the 50s today, so the fog cover was very low and very eerie this morning. I felt like I stepped into an M. Night Shaymalan movie when I went out to warm up my car this morning. 

It took me almost two hours to drive in this morning (I live 15 miles from my office). Even though it's February and we live in New England, the Commonwealth forgot that temps dip down at night and they did not salt/sand the roads for the morning commute. Everything was a parking lot this morning. North of the city there was a 50-car pileup. I really hope everyone made it out of that wreck okay. 

On the plus side, it's omelette day at work, and I have no meetings which means I can catch up on stuff I have been putting off. And the blizzard tomorrow means I can work from home *cough* watch Game Show Network *cough*. I'm going to pick up The Accountant from Redbox tonight so H and I can have a cozy movie night. 
  • @Heffalump - that poor family. I've known a few people who have had kids with serious health problems like that. It's so sad and it must be so hard on everyone :( I hope they figure things out soon and are able to find a good treatment.

@AtomicBlonde that sounds just like my H!!!!!!! It's so annoying. He's that way with everything. I'll say "hey babe can you come help me carry these groceries upstairs?" He says "sure". I wait 5 or 10 minutes, depending on how generous I'm feeling, and then carry them all upstairs myself. 5 minutes later he's like "hey, why'd you carry all the groceries upstairs?" Uuuuhhhhhhh because I was tired of waiting on you. That's why. Same goes for dinner. And I'm usually hurrying up to cook it because he is starving and "can't wait" to eat. And then when it's ready it takes him forever to come to the table. You are not alone.

Morning all.

I'm at work, but not sure why. None of us have anything to do. Literally. I played on TK all day yesterday and played games on my phone. Took a full hour lunch, which I rarely do, and then left an hour early. Apparently our loan officers aren't bringing in any new loans because they don't like the way things are done here. Well, welcome to the club, now get over yourself. Apparently nobody in management is going to anything about it. So they're likely to put us all out of jobs because of their stubbornness. Good times.

DH is in a super romantic/sweet mood. I don't know what's wrong with him. Lol. I woke up to a "good morning beautiful" text with a music video from youtube attached because he wanted to "brighten" my morning. Who is this man and what has he done with my husband??? I mean, I'm not complaining, but he usually is too busy being practical to think to do something like that. Weird.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

• @AtomicBlonde  I use to do the same, and then I just forgot about it. Usually when M doesn't get up for food, he's distracted with something. Future reference, don't tell him as often. He wants to complain about you nagging? Then show him what happens when you don't tell him multiple times. Hopefully he'll figure it out quick.
  • @*barbie*, It's not really ever my intention to paint DH as an ass, because while he has his irritating moments, I don't think he is one, big picture.  This has been commented on before, so maybe I need to take a bigger step back and reassess my language in my posts, especially if it's coming across in a way that is in contrast to my intention.  I do appreciate it being brought to my attention, because I really didn't think he was being more than a flake last night, and it wasn't my intention to make him seem like anything but.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• edited February 2017
    @AtomicBlonde  I think it's since often {it seems} he does something that irritates you, and we completely understand venting. But in contrast to what nice things he does for you, it just seems huge difference.
    Plus typing about a person can misconstrue their personality and your intention :)
  • People vent on here, so it happens. I say tell him it's ready once and continue fixing your food. I wouldn't wait on him to eat. It does sound like you enjoy eating together and maybe he doesn't realize that it's something important to you.

Have you had that conversation or is it just nagging? Maybe he needs to know that it's something that you like to do, especially since you cooked.

• @AtomicBlonde I don't even give my kids that many warnings. Dinner in 5 time to Get ready. I better see people in the kitchen setting the table and getting drinks soon. 
  • I am off work today.  I am about to go run around, but it's supposed to snow so I think I'm going to stay close to home.  Even though I have a Nordstrom note burning a hole in my pocket.  :D But there's always online shopping.  ;) 
  • @AtomicBlonde, I have had good success using this with DS:

http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/dtn/songs/almost_time_stop.html
    http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/dtn/episodes/127b_stop_playing/index.html
    Strategy"It's almost time to stop so choose one more thing to do."
    "That was fun but now it's done."
  • 6fsn said:
    @AtomicBlonde I don't even give my kids that many warnings. Dinner in 5 time to Get ready. I better see people in the kitchen setting the table and getting drinks soon. 
    My kids are usually milling around the kitchen and trying to sneak shit from the pantry because they're 'starving' and I'm 'taking too long'.  This is if dinner is ready at 6, 630, OR 7.  But yeah, if they're off somewhere else...I give a 'wash your hands' warning and then call for dinner.  I will start fixing DefConn's plate and then my own.  They show up late, it's on them. 
  • edited February 2017
    Hi all, I'm starving and want fast food garbage but don't want to leave my desk.  First world problems at their finest.

H did not improve last night, well he half assed tried.  I had a fundraising meeting with my 3 Day Team after work so I got home around 7.  

Cliffnotes:  He was making dinner and had daisies in a vase for me.  Fine, he's trying.  He pours me wine and we start talking - he says "I didn't mean to make you feel like I planned your gift around a baseball game.  If I wanted to go a game, I'd do it without the headache of a trip."  I said "You just called the trip a headache.  Stop defending yourself and listen to me for once.  I have been telling you for 24 hours that you're making me feel like a chore.  I'd rather pay for half the trip then feel this way all day."  He finally got it, I think, we'll see.  The kicker is I was fine with the trip being the thing.  He was the one who wanted to make the day special and plan something.  It's like he built up my expectations to give me a hat and dying flowers (yes, I went to change the water today and half of the leaves fell off and 2 are already wilting).

@AtomicBlonde I trust that he's not always like that and you're just venting, but sometimes the stuff you vent about - like yesterday - just makes him sound disrespectful.  Last nights dinner sounds like some stuff my sister and her H would argue about too, pretty normal.  But he also allows his family to disrespect you and doesn't seem to take up for you.  So when you add that to stupid stuff like a fight over a dinner, it can alter an outsiders perspective.

@charlotte989875 at least you weren't in class when you noticed your sweater!

Edited to make it easier to read, I think.
  • @short+sassy yeah it was definitely not a fun commute! And that's crazy your H knows who the thief might be! How did he figure it out? I hope the police find the person! Also - that was really smart thinking on your H's part to etch his initials in the tools!!!
  • edited February 2017
    Take Friday off, @short+sassy! You deserve it!

Bingo last night was fun, but a little depressing. The facility is not very nice, and I'm grateful that my family can afford a nicer place for my Oma. I promised FW that no matter what, if FMIL needs long-term care, she'll go to the best place we can afford, even if I have to work multiple jobs to pay for it. If that's not an option, I'll find a job where I can work from home so I can care for her myself. Fortunately that's not an issue yet, but she probably is going to be moving in with us or moving near us before the year is up.

ETA: I should clarify that FMIL has Parkinson's. She's able to manage it now, but I know that won't last forever. Next weekend we're going to look at senior apartment buildings with staff on-site.
  • @short+sassy yeah it was definitely not a fun commute! And that's crazy your H knows who the thief might be! How did he figure it out? I hope the police find the person! Also - that was really smart thinking on your H's part to etch his initials in the tools!!!

Definitely not any kind of solid evidence.  Which is why the police might not even bother talking to this guy.  But these kind of things are almost always someone who lives around the neighborhood.  This is a safe, blue-collar neighborhood with hard working people who are gone during the weekday.  But there's one guy who lives a block or two down that just loiters around all day and obviously has a drug problem.  Just more of a "most likely suspect" because of his behavior.

My H told me yesterday he was pretty sure who it was.  But when he told me last night why he thinks it is this guy, I was definitely "whomp, whomp".  It very possibly is, but I don't think police can go question someone because he's the "sketchy guy" in the neighborhood.  But, I'd expect someone addicted to drugs already have a record and the police were able to lift some finger prints.  We'll see.

I'm a lot more hopeful about the tools with etched initials.  I had actually made the suggestion for the new tools we would need to buy that he do that.  And he told me he had already done that for the stolen ones.  Yay!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy I think that's a solid lead.  My brother helped a guy steal a bunch of tools and pawn them before his first stint in rehab.  I'd make sure you have a copy of your police report and list of stolen equipment when you hit up the pawn shops.  And I'd do so a couple times a week.  They skipped the ones a couple miles away and went a couple cities over (because they didn't think the guy would check the further away stores).

I hope the new door works. The good news is if it is the addict down the street, he probably doesn't have the resources to scam anything he can't carry.
  • @short+sassy  - what a crappy situation all around.  I hope you find the tools, though!

• @short+sassy I think that's a solid lead.  My brother helped a guy steal a bunch of tools and pawn them before his first stint in rehab.  I'd make sure you have a copy of your police report and list of stolen equipment when you hit up the pawn shops.  And I'd do so a couple times a week.  They skipped the ones a couple miles away and went a couple cities over (because they didn't think the guy would check the further away stores).

I hope the new door works. The good news is if it is the addict down the street, he probably doesn't have the resources to scam anything he can't carry.

Thanks, this is good advice.

On the flip side of the coin, we once had police knock on our door because a neighbor (no one we knew) thought we had stolen his bike.  My H's bike that was chained to our front porch.  My H printed out the receipt, which also had a matching serial number, and gave it to the officer.  Boom.  Done.  Proof made it quick and easy that it was not stolen.

Which is why I'm so glad the tools have identifying marks.  Makes it a lot easier to prove THAT Ryobi drill (for example) is OUR Ryobi drill.

I read a crazy story a year or so ago about a guy in Portland, OR who had his (very) expensive bike stolen.  He searched Craig's List, including major cities in neighboring states, and found his bike on a post in Seattle.  He arranged to "buy it" and drove 3 hours to Seattle.  Called the police when he got there and got his bike back.

Alas, I don't expect that kind of rewarding adventure.  But nice to hear that scouring CL works sometimes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not much going on around here. We are suppose to get snow this afternoon. I've been fighting a headache all day and just want to curl up to take a nap. However, I need to fix something for dinner since we went out to eat last night! I had a pedicure this afternoon and the massage chair did help the headache a little bit.

Good luck finding the tools @short+sassy, that was smart of your H to etch initials on them.