Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wedding Invites for Labor Day Weekend

I am getting married Sept 1 which is the Friday of Labor Day weekend. I know a lot of people take vacations during that time so I was wondering, when should I send out the invitations? I want to give people time to plan as most of my fiance's guests will be coming from out of state and will have to make travel and hotel reservations.

Re: Wedding Invites for Labor Day Weekend

• zyanya67 said:
    I am getting married Sept 1 which is the Friday of Labor Day weekend. I know a lot of people take vacations during that time so I was wondering, when should I send out the invitations? I want to give people time to plan as most of my fiance's guests will be coming from out of state and will have to make travel and hotel reservations.
    What MariePoppy said.  Send STDs to those guests you definitely are going to invite, but remember--once they get an STD, they need to get an invitation, so if you think you may need to trim the guest list down the line or you're on the fence about inviting a particular person, I wouldn't send one to everybody.  I sent mine out about a year in advance, maybe 11 months, because I was super excited and my wedding was over Memorial Day weekend.  
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    I agree with the PPs. Since your wedding is over a three-day weekend when airlines, hotels, etc. will fill up more quickly than normally, I'd sent save-the-dates to VIP guests some 6 to 12 months in advance. Then send invitations about 6 to 8 weeks in advance.
  • DD was married on Labor Day Weekend after a 7 month engagement. We sent STDs in March. Invitations went out around July 4th. The STDs had the website on it so that people could find out what our hotel blocks were.
  • We are already past the 6 month mark and were are on a budget. Are save the dates cards really necessary if we are just going to send out invites six weeks later?
  • zyanya67 said:
    We are already past the 6 month mark and were are on a budget. Are save the dates cards really necessary if we are just going to send out invites six weeks later?
    A 'save the date' doesn't need to be a formal, posted card. 

You can always email or call your out of town family/friends and let them know you have set a date and location, and invitations will be coming soon. Also, you can send them some hotel recommendations etc. 
  • Last year I got a labor day wedding invite over memorial day weekend. I thought it was perfect. i think 10-12 weeks is ideal for a holiday weekend wedding.
  • zyanya67 said:
    We are already past the 6 month mark and were are on a budget. Are save the dates cards really necessary if we are just going to send out invites six weeks later?
    Actually you aren't past the six month mark - that would be in March. You shouldn't be sending out invitations in six weeks - way too early. Invitations should be sent 8-10 weeks out. This has recently changed from 6-8 weeks.

STDs aren't all that expensive - look at Vistaprint or Minted for postcard types of send an email STD if you have too (I would prefer a printed one though). DD ordered her STDs from minted. They were designed and delivered within a week. I had them addressed and mailed a few days later.

• zyanya67 said:
    I would just email people, especially your VIPs. Literally a couple sentences - "Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know we picked a wedding date. Friday, September 1st in City, State. We'll send formal invitations as we get closer. Hope to see you all there!" 

The earliest you should send your invitations is July 23rd (that would be 10 weeks out). So sending an email STD now is plenty of notice. I'm curious what you mean by the bolded. Were you planning on sending invitations 6 weeks from now?
    *********************************************************************************

• zyanya67 said:
    I would just email people, especially your VIPs. Literally a couple sentences - "Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know we picked a wedding date. Friday, September 1st in City, State. We'll send formal invitations as we get closer. Hope to see you all there!" 

The earliest you should send your invitations is July 23rd (that would be 10 weeks out). So sending an email STD now is plenty of notice. I'm curious what you mean by the bolded. Were you planning on sending invitations 6 weeks from now?
    I think you meant June 23rd.

Another thing about sending them out too early is people may think you are B-listing (I'm not saying you are, OP). Whenever I get an invitation that early especially if it has an absurdly early RSVP date, I figure they are B-listing. This just happened again to us this week. Big side-eye! 
  • zyanya67 said:

I think you meant June 23rd.

Another thing about sending them out too early is people may think you are B-listing (I'm not saying you are, OP). Whenever I get an invitation that early especially if it has an absurdly early RSVP date, I figure they are B-listing. This just happened again to us this week. Big side-eye! 
    Yes, I did - thank you!
    *********************************************************************************

• At least send an email to your VIPs. You may also want to get a jump on hotel blocks (if you're planning to do that) and get that information up on a wedding website (which you can include in your email). I've gone to a few holiday weekend weddings and always appreciated the heads up. With yours being a Friday, people may need to take another vacation day, which can be hard to do sometimes around a holiday weekend. 

If you DO send your invites earlier than normal, don't give your guests a super-early RSVP date. For example: if you want to send them two weeks earlier than usual, keep the RSVP date a week-ish before you need the absolute final count for the caterer, etc. This will help keep people from thinking you're b-listing, and also give them time to look at travel options before committing. 
  • You can verbally let your guests know about your "STD".

Talk to, call, text or e-mail your guests and let them know, "We have planned our wedding for September 1 2017. Look for our invitation in the mail this summer!".

This is what DH and I did. I'm on the fence about how I feel regarding STDs, so we verbally told our friends when the wedding date was should they want to book travel earlier.
  • I also got married on a holiday weekend (Memorial Day), I think you definitely need to send some form of STD, either emails, texts, or just print your own on copy paper-- doesn't need to be formal. I think some form of printed reminder is best, but I don't think there's anything wrong with electronic. 

This depends on your area, but the hotels in my area filled up far quicker than on a regular weekend, and our room block was full by 4 months out (well before we sent invites). 

It's an added expense but if you have people traveling it will be worth it to them.