Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Vegetarian wedding

mandi12mandi12 member
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
edited February 2017 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
I know it can be done... having a vegetarian meal as a die hard meat eater. my fiancee is ridiculously "meat n potatoes" and the vegetarian places I've taken him to have ended up on his favorites list.... but we're on a TIGHT budget and the really flavorful fancy stuff just ain't gonna happen. In fact were bordering on doing hor d'oeuvres only to try and save. We found a place that offers a decent selection of vegetarian plated options and they're willing to work with us if we have suggestions. I'm trying to get input bc he's ok with going vegetarian (and financially it works great to stay in budget) but I'm getting push back from family. Has anyone successfully worked a vegetarian wedding n shut up the critics? Or are we being "unreasonable?"
Side note: This is our second wedding (for each of us) and it's a celebration for US this time around. (Especially since we're financing the whole thing and only asking for company, NO gifts.) So we feel like all bets are off here. As in dont bother us with obsessive etiquette, we've done the classy thing with our 1st weddings.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vegetarian wedding

• You don't need to get prior approval from your family/friends for the wedding menu unless they're paying. The only reason to consult with them is to accommodate any dietary restrictions (health related or religious) and food allergies.

That said, if you want to avoid people complaining to you after the fact, you may want to have available at least some vegetarian foods that would be familiar to everyone, such as eggplant parmesan or pasta dishes. That way nobody can complain that you that you had all "weird" food. 

• mandi12 said:

Side note: This is our second wedding (for each of us) and it's a celebration for US this time around. (Especially since we're financing the whole thing and only asking for company, NO gifts.) So we feel like all bets are off here. As in dont bother us with obsessive etiquette, we've done the classy thing with our 1st weddings.
    "classy" and "etiquette" are not the same thing. Etiquette just means being polite to people and following basic hosting rules. 

You can still have an "US" wedding and follow basic hosting rules. If that means having a vegetarian menu, then have a vegetarian menu. No one is stopping you. Just stop asking for your family's input if you are going to do whatever you want anyway. That's like when your friends say "where do you want to eat?" and you're like "I think La..." "OK well I want Qdoba." Why ask, you know?

Pick a couple of heavier vegetarian dishes like vegetable lasagna, mushroom risotto, vegetarian pot pie...you get the picture. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Maybe price it out before you decide to write off meat completely? Our caterer charged $x for each entree choice, whether it was meat or not. That being said, the reception is a thank you to your guests for attending your ceremony, so if you know a lot of them would be upset without a meat option for dinner it's kind of a jerk move to not offer one. If you don't want to deal with guests and their opinions, you can always elope. 

If you're on a tight budget, heavy apps may not be any more economical, but again get some pricing info. PPs also had great suggestions regarding a brunch reception mid-afternoon, or late evening, when guests wouldn't expect a full meal. It takes a significant amount of apps to equal a full meal.
  • mandi12 said:
    To update everyone... my biggest issue was asking ppls opinions on what vegetarian means they prefer so I can please everyone and getting yelled at for considering it.  (Immediate family, no they're not just assholes I keep around lol) we narrowed it Down tho. A pasta dish and a heavy mushroom dish. Maybe stuffed portobello. Either one comes with sides of course. But the place we found will w do a late night snack as well while staying in our budget.  So mini pizzas and a nacho station too. Everyone who complained before likes it. So I think we have a good compromise. Plus I'm super excited about the create your own nacho station!
    That sounds delicious! I'm pescetarian and have found that "approachable" foods like pasta, tacos, pizza, etc. tend to go over best with those who are skeptical about vegetarian food. FW is a hard-core meat and potatoes person but will happily eat most things like that.
  • Those meal options sound good!

I was going to suggest a pasta- easy to go vegetarian with that, and *most* people like pasta. I was also going to suggest stuffed mushrooms. Other options include veggie lasagna, risotto, soup, salad, stir fry and stuffed peppers.

• I eat meat with almost every meal.  I would never side-eye someone for serving me something vegetarian, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice either.  With that said, I think your menu choices sound awesome.  You especially have me "sold" on the stuffed portabella mushroom, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That sounds great!
  • Really some non-veg diet people feel very angry and their feelings like

[Removed for ToS violation] for my daily food diets :p