Not Engaged Yet

COOKIES! (Questions of the day)

RDR's post is making me drool this morning. There's a lot of cookie talk going on over there! My family never did the "day of cookie baking" growing up, but now I have my FMIL and she is a WONDERFUL baker. So this leads me to some very important questions for you ladies. Seriously, I must know!

1. What is your favorite holiday cookie?
2. Do you bake for the holidays or leave it to someone else?
3. What is your least favorite holiday cookie?
4. Is there something other than cookies that you make this time of year?
5. Do you believe in the theory that you're either one or the other: baker or cook? If so, which are you? 
6. Do you have a memory of trying to catch Santa as a kiddo? Tell me a story...

Re: COOKIES! (Questions of the day)

• 1. What is your favorite holiday cookie?
    I love oatmeal raisin, I don't have a favorite holiday cookie though

I don't bake

none really I will eat almost any cookies

I don't really bake

5. Do you believe in the theory that you're either one or the other: baker or cook? If so, which are you?
    I believe that I cook far more often than I bake, even though I love deserts there are very few occaisions where I need to bake. I do have a few desert recipes on hand if I ever need them though.

Sorry none I pretty much was clued in at 6 about the santa thing.

Anniversary

I love a soft chocolate chip more than anything!

Leave it to someone else.

I'm not prejudice against any cookies, I love them all! 

I don't really make anything special for the holidays. I'm not particularly good at baking. Although, I did make homemade brownies not too long ago and FI and I ate the whole thing in 2 nights. 

Neither? I'm good at following a recipe (when cooking) and yet my baking never seems to turn out very well. I can't just throw stuff together and have it come out tasting good. 

I wasn't really ever a snooper when I was a kid. I found out about Santa because my stepsister and I would always tell each other 1 gift that our parents got the other. She told me they got me a Lite-Brite. On Christmas morning, my Lite-Brite was from Santa Cry

The peanut butter cookies with the Hershey kiss in the middle. SO YUM!

Not really. I do make gingerbread cookies. They are actually soft and FI loves them. Plus, one batch makes like 4 dozen at once, so I get a lot for my effort.

Those wreaths. I don't know if everyone has had these, but my FMIL makes them. I think they're like marshmallows and cereal or something? Not my cup of tea.

I like to make toffee. Otherwise i'm not really much of a baker.

YES! I'm a cook through and through. I don't think I like how specific you have to be for baking. I'm more of a toss something in and give it a try kinda gal. Baking is much more of a science than that!

Sure do! In my grandma's old house all the kids slept upstairs (they had like 5 bedrooms up there) All of our stockings and the tree were 2 floors down in the den and there was a laundry shoot that ran all the way down through the wall. I remember a bunch of us cousins trying to listen through the shoot to hear something...but you couldn't hear a dang thing. It would have been easier to just sneak down the stairs!
  • Your story is so sad RDR!  Frown

My little brother was kind of a butt head in middle school. He always wanted to snoop, but I always wanted to keep it a secret. Darn it, he was smart. He told me one year that if I didn't tell him what he was getting, he was going to tell me all of my gifts. What a dilemma!?! I guess it's no surprise he ended up being a philosophy major! haha
    right now my favorite are the lemon crinkle cookies I made last weekend.  I'm baking them for a party tomorrow, too.  or the chocolate chunk pecan!

I bake!  I've always loved baking, even since I was in grade school.  my mom just leaves that to me, she doesn't even try to bake anymore. 

I guess sugar cookies, unless they have frosting or something.

I usually do giant pretzel sticks dipped in dark chocolate, and then covered with different stuff (sprinkles, sugar, crushed M&Ms or other candy), but we really cut back this year so I didn't do them.  oh!  and my 12-apple pie or homemade apple dumplings.  YUM.

5. Do you believe in the theory that you're either one or the other: baker or cook? If so, which are you?  nope...  I'm both!  I love to cook and bake, and I do really well at both.  my mom taught me a lot of tricks growing up so I generally feel confident in the kitchen...  unless my MIL is there.  I don't cook at all around her.

no, but I remember as a kid we would put 12 bowls of popcorn and/or carrot sticks in the grass outside the house and when we would wake up, we'd run to check the yard and the popcorn and carrots would be all spread around like the reindeer had been munching while Santa was busy in the house.  I loved that.
    Snickerdoodles or these

I bake a ton of cookies.  Total, I probably make 15+ dozen cookies.

Those wreath things that allusive described.  They look gross and I can't even eat them because they have marshmallows in them.

Chocolate covered oreos, chocolate covered pretzels and peppermint bark

FI is an excellent cook, but not so much of a baker.  I am a decent cook, but I am a fantastic baker.  My mom always says that "Cooking is an art, but baking is a science." 

Not really.  One year at Easter I woke up to use the restroom and saw my parents putting our easter baskets together.  I remember thing, "oh, well that makes sense" and "I hope I don't get in trouble for this."  I'm guessing that is what clued me in to Santa as well. 
    My mom always bought a special wrapping paper for Santa to use so that we wouldn't wonder why Santa had the same wrapping paper as us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_cookies-questions-of-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ac262e1b-3684-47bb-a5e3-bd94e7693290Post:95018c74-c0b7-4598-bde4-1c7fe2f0a3fe">Re: COOKIES! (Questions of the day)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your story is so sad RDR!  My little brother was kind of a butt head in middle school. He always wanted to snoop, but I always wanted to keep it a secret. Darn it, he was smart. He told me one year that if I didn't tell him what he was getting, he was going to tell me all of my gifts. What a dilemma!?! I guess it's no surprise he ended up being a philosophy major! haha
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

<div>Awww! So manipulative! </div><div>
    </div><div>One year, my parents got me a baskteball hoop. The hide the HUGE box in the garage (basically in plain sight) which I was in and out of daily and I never noticed it. They realized that year that they didn't have to worry about me snooping haha</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_cookies-questions-of-the-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:ac262e1b-3684-47bb-a5e3-bd94e7693290Post:95018c74-c0b7-4598-bde4-1c7fe2f0a3fe">Re: COOKIES! (Questions of the day)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your story is so sad RDR!  My little brother was kind of a butt head in middle school. He always wanted to snoop, but I always wanted to keep it a secret. Darn it, he was smart. He told me one year that if I didn't tell him what he was getting, he was going to tell me all of my gifts. What a dilemma!?! I guess it's no surprise he ended up being a philosophy major! haha
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

hahaha, that is great! 

I prefer knowing what I am getting for Christmas.  I really hate surprises.  My sister and I always used to tell each other what we were getting or just go shopping together and let the other person pick out exactly what they wanted. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tuarceathatuarceatha member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    1. What is your favorite holiday cookie?
    Oh gosh. That is a difficult question. I guess I'm mostly a sucker for the colorful cookies, since there are few flavors I don't love in cookies. So like those cute candy cane sugar cookies? Or we have made these Red Velvet buttercream filled whoopie-pie like cookies a handful of times that are just so cute.

I'd loooove to leave it to H. He loves to pick out recipes and bake bake bake. I'm more excited about making sugar cookies from a bag with my sisters tomorrow and decorating them with frosting.

Hm. I don't think there is such a thing.

Not if I can help it. Cooking and baking is sort of becoming a thing for me right now. Maybe it is cause I am tired and cooking is so labor intensive. Especially baking batches of cookies.

I feel like a Bah-humbug should come at the end of this response. Sorry!

I think it could be true. I'm more of a table-setter/dish-washer type when it comes to preparing food.

Ha. I don't... I do recall being told at like 8, and pretending I already knew to the kid that told me. My sister took it so hard. She was like 9 and my dad told her. I think he still regrets it. hehe
  • I like getting surprises for Christmas, we made amazon wish lists this year- BF & I so I'm sure he got me things off the list. 

I was told pretty young by some friends who were older in dance class about santa I was a bit skeptical but it began to make sense.  It sucked because my siblings were so far apart in age from me. In high school when we opened gifts in the morning I still had to pretend there was a santa... I remember snooping in my parents closets in high school for gifts.

Anniversary

My Grandmother's sugar cookies.  She's dead, but her cookies live on!!! 

You know, I honestly tried this year.  I had two batches in the freezer.  Then I kind of lost the holiday spirit, we bought pre made batter since my dad likes chocolate chip cookies

Ugh, those black licorishe flavored ones.  Anginettes?

We always have lasagna on Christmas Eve.  Does that count?

I'm the cook.  I'm going to try better to be a baker.  I have a Kitchen Aid mixer I have to use!

In my old house, my parent's bedroom looked over our chimney.  I remember as a kid one year sneaking into my parent's room to see if Santa was on there.  He wasn't, I was kind of questioning it (I was probably around 6 or so) the next year my dad chopped up carrots and got on the roof and sprinkled them on the roof and threw a couple of cookies up there for good measure.  The next morning he showed me Santa was there since there were crumbs and bits of carrots.  Honestly I didn't find out about the no Santa thing until I was 10 I know I suck.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
    Oatmeal raisin milk-chocolate chip. No semi-sweet. Sometimes I'm fancy and put half a maraschino cherry on top.

My mom and I used to bake together, but she doesn't make as much as she used to, so I may need to make my own cookies.

Anything but the cookies in #1. I'm very particular.

Brownies with marshmallows and chocolate on top. Usually I mix peppermint flavoring into the chocolate, but this year I found peppermint marshmallows. I got this idea from my grandma, who actually used junior mints instead of chocolate chips.

I'd never really thought of it, but I only cook out of necessity and prefer baking.

No, I was a pretty rule-abiding child. But once I was grown-up, I would sneak out after everyone else had gone to sleep to fill stockings.

Ginger bread cookies.  Or ginger snaps. 

I like to do it but I need to expand my cookie repertoire. 

Anything with coconut. 

YES!  I make an amazing mint fudge. 

I think I am both so no not really.  I like doing both and I am pretty good at both so ya. 

No I never believed in Santa.  In fact I spent all my time trying to convince kids of their ignorance.  Lol Ya I was that kid.  But my neighbor was totally taken in.  His mom went to great lengths to convince him.  She spilled ashes on her white carpet and ate all the cookies and he wanted to set up a video camera on the roof to catch Santa.  

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

My grandma's chocolate chip cookies! She only makes them for the holidays and they are pillows of sugary sweetness!

Our family splits it up. Usually I do desserts.

Burnt cookies.

Homemade cinnomon rolls with homemade icing! Also a family recipe from my great x3 grandma. They are so good!

A bit of both? I do desserts but also help with the main meals when needed.

I only tried to catch him once and caught my dad redhanded! I woke up and heard cookie crunching sound. So I got out of bed snuck down the hall and around the corner... and there he was. My dad sitting next to an almost empty plate of cookies drinking the milk. He saw me standing there and offered me a cookie. For several years after that I helped my dad eat the cookies till my brothers in similar fashion found that there wasn't a santa. I had never really believed in santa anyways. :) I was around 5.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards