Wedding Woes
Options

WTEL(convoluted)MF?!?!?!

Dear Prudence,
I’m a 34-year-old woman who’s been with my husband for 15 years. We have two children together, and he has two daughters from a previous relationship. I want to leave our marriage, primarily because I’ve felt unsupported for too long. Suffice it to say, our family has had a ton of significant life events over the past couple of years, and the brunt of keeping up with everything fell to me. I’ve been considering divorce for over six months already. I’m not rushing into anything and have talked with a counselor about this. I’m seeing another counselor next week, just for a second opinion.

My husband’s ex-wife is my only friend. She has, as well as my boss, brought up the word abusive when talking about my husband. He is extremely jealous and at times controlling. He wants to know exactly where I am, what I’m doing, why I have to work late, who is going to be wherever I’m going, stuff like that. He’s never physically harmed me, or called me names, or put me down, or withheld money from me, or any of the other things that I’ve seen named as common abusive behaviors. I’m a reasonably smart woman, but this has really stopped me in my tracks. How do you know if the behaviors are at the abusive level? How many behaviors does one need to exhibit, and with what frequency, before it rises to abuse? He used to be much more jealous and controlling than he is now, but if he’s controlling once a month versus daily or weekly, is that “abusive”?

—Is It Abuse?

Re: WTEL(convoluted)MF?!?!?!

• Options
    I feel like this is a valid question. Often, controlling behavior is a red flag before physical abuse but in LW case he hasn't escalated. LW also didn't explain what he did that was controlling, just that he questioned everything. My dad is like that but he is just nosy AF. 

But but that has nothing to do with being unsupported which is grounds for divorce in itself.
  • Options
    I think it's hard when you're in the situation to want to admit that you're suffering abuse. It took me 18 years to finally accept that I was emotionally and financially abused. I was sexually assaulted at work and it took 10 years to even admit to myself that what happened was, in fact, sexual assault. There's such a stigma to being abused; why did you let it go on so long, why didn't you tell him to stop, why didn't you leave? So much victim blaming and shaming happens. 

LW, you are being abused. The fact that you only have one friend that is your H's ex wife speaks volumes. When more than one person is using the same language telling you he's abusive, you should listen.
  • Options
    "How do you know if the behaviors are at the abusive level?"

By rereading your own letter.

"
    My husband’s ex-wife is my only friend."
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

My husband’s ex-wife is my only friend. She has, as well as my boss, brought up the word abusive when talking about my husband. He is extremely jealous and at times controlling. He wants to know exactly where I am, what I’m doing, why I have to work late, who is going to be wherever I’m going, stuff like that. He’s never physically harmed me, or called me names, or put me down, or withheld money from me, or any of the other things that I’ve seen named as common abusive behaviors.

Isolating the victim from their support systems is a common abusive behaviour. Usually one of the first behaviours. This way, once the other behaviours begin the victim finds it harder to find someone to turn to.