Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Should I hire a videographer?

My wedding is in September and my soon to be husband and I have gotten to the part of the planning where we are deciding if we should get a videographer and I'm just not really sure. Is there anyone who hired or is going to hire a videographer? If so, what made you want to get a videographer. Basically, I'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons. We don't have a ton of money to spend on the wedding but I also don't want to regret something from my first (and last!) wedding.

Re: Should I hire a videographer?

• We didn't hire one and we don't regret it.  I think you'll find that people who did use one either haven't looked at the video or have watched it once, so IMHO it's  a big expense that you can cut right off the bat.  We did have a home video camera that we brought with us, and we would periodically pick it up and film people at the reception.  I think we had it set up to film the ceremony as well, but I haven't looked at the footage yet and we've been married almost 4 years!
  • We didn't hire a videographer but we also had no desire to spend the $$$ on one.  We've been married 2.5 years and don't regret it at all.  I think I've only looked through our wedding album twice since we got it.  If you think you will regret it and have the budget I say go for it...but most people I know haven't looked at their wedding videos.
  • Agree with the above. Beautiful pictures are enough. If you don't have the budget, skip it. They can be quite expensive. 

• My FI and I have discussed it, and for us, a video is actually more important to us than photos. It's all about what you and your FI want! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2017
    H actually have the FILM (8mm) from my parent's wedding in 1947 !  I can't watch it because it turned to goo.  Years ago I had it put on VHS, but who has that anymore?  They would have been better off with still photos in an album.  Formats do change over time.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • At first I said I didn't want one. 
    I ended up worrying I would regret it, and since we had the money, I got one. 
    See. I'm an overly sentimental mop. 
    My parents' wedding video is the only recording I have of my grandpa, and the only thing I have to remember his voice by. 
    So, you know, Lord forbid anything happen, I know I'll have that. I think it may be a nice thing for my potential children to have someday too. 
    I really think it's whatever you want to do. People will probably still record some video on their cell phones. Go with your gut. 
  • I didn't and don't regret it. I don't know anyone who had a video taken that has watched it more than once or twice versus photos that get put in frames around the house or the album opened a few times a year.
  • I don't have the money to spend on a videographer but I did want some things videotaped just to have (vows, first dance, etc.). I didn't want anything high-tech or edited together in a professional video. 

I put it out on Facebook that I was looking for a college student who I could pay to do this basic videotaping and through some connections, I got just that. I offered them $100 and said they were welcome to have a meal and enjoy the evening just so long as they got some important moments filmed for us. Maybe you have some connections in your life who would be able to do this for you? 

Something else we considered was just to set up a camera for the ceremony and then rely on friends on family to take video throughout the reception. I don't mean require them or give them that job, I just mean that you can pretty much expect people to capture those moments of their own free will and they will likely be happy to share that with you. 
  • k&n62517 said:
    I don't have the money to spend on a videographer but I did want some things videotaped just to have (vows, first dance, etc.). I didn't want anything high-tech or edited together in a professional video. 

I put it out on Facebook that I was looking for a college student who I could pay to do this basic videotaping and through some connections, I got just that. I offered them $100 and said they were welcome to have a meal and enjoy the evening just so long as they got some important moments filmed for us. Maybe you have some connections in your life who would be able to do this for you? 

Something else we considered was just to set up a camera for the ceremony and then rely on friends on family to take video throughout the reception. I don't mean require them or give them that job, I just mean that you can pretty much expect people to capture those moments of their own free will and they will likely be happy to share that with you. 
    I wish I thought of that.  We used our own camera, and had a friend do it.  the audio isn't very good ;(

• Not hiring a videographer is one of the top regrets among brides. My best friend and her husband don't even remember the vows that they said to each other because of all the craziness of the wedding day. They didn't have a videographer either so they really regret that. I am also excited to actually watch the wedding. As the bride, you won't get to see any of the processional. A video will let you watch the wedding through the eyes of a guest which is a part I'm excited for.