Attire & Accessories Forum

Groom and Bestman and Groomsmen

HI,  I am trying to figure out the color of the vest and ties for my groom and her fellas.  My MOH is wearing light lilac, and the bridesmaids are wearing a blush.  Same dress, just different colors. My dress is ivory lace on top (the bridesmaids also have lace on top and bottom of the dress) and rose gold/pink like on the bottom.  I attached a picture of the tux the men are wearing I just wont know if the best man should match the MOH and the rest match each other.  My groom would like to stand out and not match, so that would potentially be 3 different colors. I have no idea that to do. Below is the tux and the blush dress, there is no picture of the lilac dress.

Re: Groom and Bestman and Groomsmen

• I agree with PP, I would pick a neutral color for the GMs, FI could wear a darker/lighter version of that color to stand out or have a different tie/boutonniere. 
  • Ditto on thumbs down to matching BMs/GMs. Do the GMs have to wear a vest at all? 

To stand out, what if your FH wears the tux with the vest and bow tie (in whatever color) and the GMs just wear a bow tie (no vest)?
    *********************************************************************************

• Ditto on thumbs down to matching BMs/GMs. Do the GMs have to wear a vest at all? 

To stand out, what if your FH wears the tux with the vest and bow tie (in whatever color) and the GMs just wear a bow tie (no vest)?
    Haha! Almost said this exact thing but I didn't want to be too much of a negative Nancy. I don't like the vest look much at all either. Just something about the vests that look silly to me, but for sure the vests look so much worse if they're matched to the BM color. Total prom move haha 
  • Just to clarify, you said the men will be in tuxes? The picture you posted is a suit, not a tuxedo. (Tuxes are black only, with a satin lapel and a satin stripe on the outside edge of the pant leg.) I'm a fan of a charcoal 3-piece suit, myself, if that's appropriate for the overall formality and if the men own one or it otherwise fits their budget. You can do different color ties/pocket squares. I much prefer the vest to match the suit rather than be some other color.
  • Yes ties, pocket squares or bouts can tie in your BM's dress color. The gray suit would look wonderful. 
  • Just to clarify, you said the men will be in tuxes? The picture you posted is a suit, not a tuxedo. (Tuxes are black only, with a satin lapel and a satin stripe on the outside edge of the pant leg.) I'm a fan of a charcoal 3-piece suit, myself, if that's appropriate for the overall formality and if the men own one or it otherwise fits their budget. You can do different color ties/pocket squares. I much prefer the vest to match the suit rather than be some other color.
    Tuxes do not only have to be black but they DO have to have a satin lapel--that is what makes them a tux and not a suit. We are doing navy tuxes for our wedding so I know for a fact that tuxes exist in colors other than black. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2017
    Just to clarify, you said the men will be in tuxes? The picture you posted is a suit, not a tuxedo. (Tuxes are black only, with a satin lapel and a satin stripe on the outside edge of the pant leg.) I'm a fan of a charcoal 3-piece suit, myself, if that's appropriate for the overall formality and if the men own one or it otherwise fits their budget. You can do different color ties/pocket squares. I much prefer the vest to match the suit rather than be some other color.
    Tuxes do not only have to be black but they DO have to have a satin lapel--that is what makes them a tux and not a suit. We are doing navy tuxes for our wedding so I know for a fact that tuxes exist in colors other than black. 
    Yes, tuxedos can also be navy.  It is somewhat unusual, but acceptable.  Any other colors are a current invention of the wedding industry.  @artbyallie is correct about the satin lapels and pant stripes, though.  The men in the photos which the OP posted are wearing suits, not tuxedos.  Those satin vests (The matchy ones always make me thing of Prom!) are not usually worn with suits.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • HI,  I am trying to figure out the color of the vest and ties for my groom and her fellas.  My MOH is wearing light lilac, and the bridesmaids are wearing a blush.  Same dress, just different colors. My dress is ivory lace on top (the bridesmaids also have lace on top and bottom of the dress) and rose gold/pink like on the bottom.  I attached a picture of the tux the men are wearing I just wont know if the best man should match the MOH and the rest match each other.  My groom would like to stand out and not match, so that would potentially be 3 different colors. I have no idea that to do. Below is the tux and the blush dress, there is no picture of the lilac dress.

If the men in your wedding party are wearing suits as in the photos you posted, they do not need vests at all.  Two piece suits - a jacket and trousers - is perfectly acceptable, and the guys will be more comfortable without vests. 

The rule is that the men must all wear the same level for formality.  They do not need to match in color.  Traditionally, the groom is distinguished from the other men in the party by a special boutonniere.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If they are wearing the suit in the photo you posted, I'd say either stick with a neutral vest or skip the vest entirely. I agree that if you really want some sort of color coordination with the bridesmaids, do it with the ties or boutonnieres.  
  • that is a good idea. I didn't want matching either, the stupid sales person kind of pushed it on me. I had my daughter with me and she was getting restless, so I just said fine and left.  I am deff going back on my own and picking.  I would love for my FH to pick, but he asked me to.
  • edited April 2017
    Yes, its a tux but with a suit look, its very nice.

Thank you all for the help and I love all the ideas.  I will keep you posted on the outcome!!

• edited April 2017
    So keep it like this? I love that!! Why do they push changing the colors? Also my dress, like I said, isn't white but has Ivory in it.  Ivory shirt for my FH?

edited April 2017
    Yes, its a tux but with a suit look, its very nice.

Thank you all for the help and I love all the ideas.  I will keep you posted on the outcome!!

Is the picture you posted the same as the tuxedo you have chosen?  The rules for tuxedos, which have satin lapels, are different than the rules for suits, which have lapels of the same fabric from which the coat is made.  Don't trust the sales clerk!  Many of them have no idea what is proper and are just there to take your money!
    Here is a good site for tuxedo rules.  It is a very big site, so take your time to read through it.
    http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplemental/BlackTie_vs_Tuxedo.htm

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Yes the picture I posted (men's wearhouse) is the tux/suit we have chosen.  In the store and site, this is under tux rental. 
  • This is the description:

Style Details:

Stand out in this sleek, sophisticated alternative to the usual shades, made with our most luxurious, premium lightweight super 120s wool. A satin edged narrow notch lapel pairs nicely with flat-front pants. Complete the look with our matching vest. Available in Modern and Slim Fit.

BLACK by Vera Wang Gray Satin Edged Notch Lapel Tuxedo

• Available in Modern and Slim fits
    • Side vents
    • Two-button closure
    • Imported
    • Available in sizes for Men and Boys
    • Satin-edge narrow notched lapel
    • 100% Super 120's Wool
    • Matching vest available
    • Coordinating flat-front pants
    edited April 2017
    You can choose whatever you wish, but you need to be aware that this Vera Wang thing is not a tuxedo, whatever she chooses to call it.  When I was married in the 1970s, grooms were wearing polyester knit "tuxedos" in pastel colors with ruffled shirts.  Think very carefully before you choose something that is not standard menswear clothing.  If this is really what you want, then OK.

PS.  As an alternative, think about having your guys BUY a two piece suit.  Grey suits are classic, and it will give you the same look. The price to buy a suit is not much more than renting a tuxedo.  This way, the guys get to keep their suits for other occasions!
    Mens Chaps Classic-Fit Wool-Blend Stretch Suit Separates
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • So keep it like this? I love that!! Why do they push changing the colors? Also my dress, like I said, isn't white but has Ivory in it.  Ivory shirt for my FH?

I think this is a great suit (no matter what men's warehouse says, it is not a tux). White shirts for the men (ivory will just look dingy on them, don't worry it won't clash) and a lavender boutonnière- perfect!
  • Your FH should wear a white shirt. Ivory for men's shirts just looks dingy, IMHO. My dress was ivory with a champagne underlay (very much UNwhite) and my H wore a white shirt with his black tux. It looked great and did not make my dress look dirty or whatever the concern is. 

I agree with CMG that a really nice option for the GMs would be to BUY a grey suit. We did this with our GMs and, for almost the same cost as renting, they had a black suit they could keep for future use. 
    *********************************************************************************