Wedding Woes

Happy Wednesday

I finished the diagrammed vow art, but TK won't let me upload the pics.  It's not my *best* effort since my traditional artistic skills are, well, average, but it'll definitely look cool on the wall, and I think DH will like it. :)

Made Smith Island and Peach Melba cupcakes to take with us for our trip, since we didn't save the top tier of our cake.

Last night, I got a call from the library about a book I returned that had a "bent corner on the cover."  FFS, if "bent corners" result in $16 fines for "replacement" copies, perhaps stocking PAPERBACK books is a poor choice.  Plusandalso, the same book costs $6 on Amazon.  Also also, I'm not a monster.  I handle all books with delicacy, especially when they're borrowed.

What's up with everyone today?

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
--Philip Pullman

Re: Happy Wednesday

• H and I fight about dog-earring books; he's pro dog-earring and clearly wrong. But also, library use is on the decline, so that seems a little extreme. 

Not much today, sent follow up emails from the interview yesterday, classes al morning, and last week of class craziness. Weather is beautiful here.
  • I'm not working as hard as I should be.  Also, I had all these plans to start packing and I haven't done a damn thing. Plus, the laundry isn't even done and I should go run a load.  But, meh...

I do need to go get a pedi tonight.  Also, I wish that they'd put our names in the obit (but there's 31 grands and great-grands, so I get it), so now I have to awkwardly ask a funeral director to sign something saying I was there and am a granddaughter in law.  Blerg. 

I have to have outfits for three 'events' this weekend.  This is where working from home screws me, since I don't buy nicer stuff since I'll 'never wear it'.

I did go out last night and get a cute black shrug that I can wear for the wake and funeral. Plus a nice almost tunic-length knit tank for the wake that I can wear with leggings and boots.   There's going to be a private burial service for family on Saturday morning. It's going to be cold and rainy, so I'm probably going to say 'eff it' and wear dark jeans with boots and a nice top (plus a jacket or cardigan).  I'm going to end up with too much stuff (since I also need to pack comfy regular clothes to change into after services and PJ's...and shoes. Plus hair, make-up, and successories.) I hate it when the weather is iffy because I don't want to be too hot or too cold.  
  • The tenants who have been pissing me off FINALLY paid their rent yesterday.  I served them a 5 Day Pay or Quit notice last week and I sent them an e-mail Monday "as a reminder" that, if I didn't get the rent by Tuesday, we'd be filing for an eviction on Wednesday (today).  Really, the e-mail was more to get the point across to not mistake our kindness for weakness and I am not bluffing about an eviction.

The tenant and I also had a discussion this morning because he called me to make sure I'd gotten the money orders they'd dropped off.  I'm not holding my breath anything will change.  But it gave me the opportunity to remind him the rent is due on the 10th.  Period.  And they need to tighten that up or we're just going to keep serving 5 Day Pay or Quit notices on them every month.  Which is irritating for all of us.

On to happier topics.  Food.  I've decided I'm going to be a complete glutton today.  Taco Bell nachos are calling my name for lunch, plus I want to try that new taco-burrito they have.  When I get off work, I have a free buffet offer at Harrahs...which includes lobster that they only have on Wednesdays.

Speaking of Harrahs, my H won $450 there on Saturday and I won $60 there yesterday, from $10 in slot play that was about to expire.  I will try to be strong and not put my winnings back into one of those video poker machines tonight, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2017
    I found out yesterday that the job I was really hoping for is "going a different direction." All I'm getting is rejection and it sucks. I feel like the interviews go well, but I must be wrong. I have a phone interview at 11 and an in-person interview tomorrow with other companies.

H and I found a house last night. There are two more we want to look at just to be sure, but if we don't love them, we'll put an offer on this one. Now my fingers are crossed that my H didn't mess up our chances of getting a mortgage with all his new credit cards.
  • @Heffalump  I think they'll be silent about the murders, so we're good there. That's what we were thinking too - why waste time with references if they aren't wanting him?

@short+sassy  :)
  • good luck to everyone with the interviews!
  • @short+sassy thank you. I get really down on myself sometimes. I just feel like maybe I'm not presenting myself well in person. I think I probably talked about my babies too much. I didn't even mean to, she somehow brought it up.

Good luck to Mr. Sassy, Mr. Danger, and charlotte. 

@charlotte989875 I believe you shouldn't dog-ear a library book since it's not yours, but if you want to dog-ear your own, go for it. I still don't really like it, though.

@atomicblonde can you just buy them the $6 book and call it good?
  • We went to Finding Neverland last night. The show was really good. If it comes through your city, highly recommend. Touring company did a fantastic job. Wolverine really enjoyed it, although she said that she still liked Wicked, better. (She's 6.5, and this is her 2nd show, We took her to Wicked last summer when she was 5.5. She behaved very well during the show. We're taking her to see The Lion King in July.)

Wasn't about to let this spoil our night, but there are some people that should just not be allowed to attend the theatre. for reference, we were sitting in row C of the center section of the balcony, near the end of the row. so it was something like this: 

STAGE

row C: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16.17,{B},{Wolverine},{DK},21,22

So the people next to us (seats 12-17) were 5 adult women of varying ages (I'd say late 30s - 60s) and one boy, who was about 7 or 8. Somehow I got stuck sitting next to the kid, who was already quite adept at manspreading, despite not reaching puberty. I must have been elbowed or kicked 25+ times during the course of the show - although I didn't say anything to these people, since the woman in 16 (maybe his mom?) at least made an effort to tell him to sit up once or twice. 

So at the end of the show (~10pm or shortly after) as the actors are doing their bows and singing the last few lines, these people feel the need to flee the theater. So they start trying to climb over us to get out - but since the women in 21 and 21 were giving a standing ovation (which we were trying to do) - the jagoffs from 12-17 were basically standing on top of us - so we're crammed back against our seats. I was over them at this point commented, "wow, those 60 seconds sure made a difference - if you're going, go, already" The woman from 16 turns around and snaps at me, "IT'S A SCHOOL NIGHT! It makes a difference getting out of the garage. He needs to be in bed!" 

oh, really?
    1) we have a kid, too. one of the people in your party is standing on top of her, so you may not have noticed. 
    2) if you're so worried about your precious kid's bedtime, how about get tickets on a weekend, or get a sitter?
    3) you're not only being rude to the other customers, you're being rude to the people who just spent the last 2.5 hours putting on an amazing show. 
    4) there are cops set up specifically to direct traffic from the garage. it probably took us longer to walk from the theater to our car, than it did to drive from the 4th floor of the garage to the exit. 

I just rolled my eyes and tried to watch the last minute or so past the woman standing on top of me - she wasn't worth it.  DK and I spent the rest of the night mocking this woman. "BUT IT'S A SCHOOL NIGHT!!!"

and plus also - the people behind us were just gross. they were eating in the theater (you can have drinks with a lid, no food), and were sitting there burping, and coughing, and crinkling their wrappers, and at one point during the 2nd act, one of them farted pretty loudly. 
  • @charlotte989875 keeping you in my thoughts for good interview news!

@MissKittyDanger good luck to M!

@DrillSergeantCat bummer about that one job - but good luck at your upcoming interviews!

I just sent out both of my deadlines and I have a few meetings this afternoon and then I am off tomorrow and Friday!

H and I are doing a low-key birthday celebration tonight, since he has to work tomorrow, but then he is taking me out to celebrate for real on Saturday night. There are a few places I have in mind, so I just have to decide before Saturday - one is steak & seafood, one is Italian on the water, and one is gourmet burgers on the water. 
  • Yay for all the job buzz!  That's a huge uptick over earlier this month.

SSDD today.  H's union election voting starts today and ends tomorrow. He's fairly confident he should win, but he doesn't really know what the other person did to campaign, so I'm nervous for him.  But really stinking proud too, I sent him a mushy go-you email this morning.  I won't actually see him again until Saturday.  Tonight he was invited by a student to a banquet honoring all county athletes who were above a certain GPA, tomorrow he has a baseball game and I'm working an event and Friday he and a buddy are going to the Tigers game.  I told him yesterday I was making plans Saturday to spite his busy-ness haha.

• Barbie, that is fucking annoying.  Going to live theater can be such a crapshoot these days because people have no sense of decorum or etiquette. I'm not going to stop going, but people suck. 
  • @charlotte989875 dog earing books is patently, objectively wrong. What did that book ever do to him?!

@DrillSergeantCat try not to get discouraged. I know how you feel though. It's almost been 7 months for me (I don't count my one job I had for two weeks). I've applied to 70 places at this point. Rejection letters up the wazoo. 

I had five interviews on Monday and I'm literally still exhausted. Four of the interviews were at one hospital. It was like 15-20 minute speed dating for interviews.  I totally bombed one unit (I told the organizers up front I'd love to interview with any ICU other than neuro....guess who was taken straight to the neuro managers? Lol), two were decent, and one was good. I have a tentative offer for one unit if they can make my schedule work on the unit. We'll see. I had interviews from 9 am-4 pm that day. It was too much. 

Then I went to my second interview and it was an unexpected panel and group interview. I knew it would be a panel interview but I wasn't expecting the group part. I also didn't expect there to be 12 people on the panel. I think I did decently well in that one. I'll probably hear back by the end of next week or beginning of the week after that. But they had us do a med math test without a calculator, so I might have failed based on that. I honestly have never heard of testing without a calculator for that test. Med math isn't complicated, but it's ridiculous to do it long hand. Plus we use calculators now to reduce human error and therefore reduce med errors. I don't think I've used long division with large numbers since sophomore year of high school. And I'm really bad at math, so I was really disheartened after that. I can set the problems up easily, but trying to figure them out without a calculator was a nightmare. I haven't felt stupid in awhile, so I'll chalk it up to a good humbling experience. 

Yesterday I made a roast chicken....and I'll probably never do it again. The freaking raw chicken by itself was $15! When did they get that expensive? I thought raw chickens were super cheap. The last time I bought one I swear it was like $5 and then I thought raw poultry was disgusting and it was worth the five extra bucks to get it already done rotisserie style from the deli. After I made it I used the leftovers to make chicken stock, so there's that at least. 

Today I'm trying to make an in depth to do list of shit I've been procrastinating and avoiding. There is no reason it shouldn't be getting done. I'm on break and I don't have a job. Get it together, man. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Good luck to everyone interviewing!

Not much here except trying to keep my family fed.  They have eaten 16 lbs of fruit in the last 6 days.  2 dozen minimuffins gone between snack and breakfast (and they ate other stuff too).  I feel like it's just empty containers of food everywhere and they're still YOUNG.

I'm trying to do a bunch of shit in Microsoft websites and they're being a pain in the ass.
  • @DrillSergeantCat, if they push the issue, I plan to just do that.  I may even splurge and buy the hard copy.

It just makes it hard to support the library system.  Like, okay, if my dog eats the book, obviously I'll pay for it.  But normal wear and tear in a book that's checked out dozens of times?  

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• levioosa said:

@charlotte989875 dog earing books is patently, objectively wrong. What did that book ever do to him?!

That is frequently my response to him. 

• H and I fight about dog-earring books; he's pro dog-earring and clearly wrong. But also, library use is on the decline, so that seems a little extreme. 

Not much today, sent follow up emails from the interview yesterday, classes al morning, and last week of class craziness. Weather is beautiful here.

I completely saw this as a book about Dog earrings :) Must be the pounding headache I have, I had to read it twice to get it
    Met: 5/4/16
    Dating: 6/21/16
    Engaged: 3/20/17
    Wedding: 2/24/18
  • Does anyone take their lunch to work? Do you always do sandwiches or do you have a mix of stuff?

Also I'm on the hunt for lunch tupperware - even if there's an area for sandwich and then a snack. You know, like the kind you give kids.

Kinda like this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/California-Home-Goods-CHG-KD-3C-6P-3-Compartment/dp/B01535KBSC/ref=sr_1_15?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1493225922&sr=1-15&keywords=tupperware

But if M gets a job I'll likely need to buy 2 sets .... 

• @DrillSergeantCat, if they push the issue, I plan to just do that.  I may even splurge and buy the hard copy.

It just makes it hard to support the library system.  Like, okay, if my dog eats the book, obviously I'll pay for it.  But normal wear and tear in a book that's checked out dozens of times?  

Wait...what??? They're bitching about a paperback? I missed that part. It likely got damaged on their property after being returned.
  • I'm a voracious reader and I dog ear.  B/c I can't keep track of a bookmark to save my life.  It's ridiculous really.  I've even bought nice bookmarks to try and save.  Nope.  It's actually led to an interesting discovery that I tend to take a break in the same place in books I'm re-reading.  

I'm involved in an argument with a local venue.  Their director and manager basically insinuated to me that I was unprofessional and inexperienced.  I managed to not come unglued; however the response they got was a very professional and experienced pissed off organizer writing a "list of expectations of the venue and staff" that I really Really REALLY hope they push back on.  I've kind of set up my expectations list so that they will push back on it, they're not going to like the expectations I've laid out.  B/c this professional and experienced organizer already has a back up venue for this event booked and I'd LOVE an excuse to leave this venue now.  I'm so sick of Pride, I could just scream.  IDK if I'll be able to come back after this year.

I'm in a weird head space b/c I think I'm happy.  And it's been so damn long since I've been happy and not having to push, Push, PUSH in all spheres of my life (individual, relationship, and professional) that I'm at a bit of a loss.  Silly complaint, I know, but still real.
  • @levioosa Thank you. I've really only been looking hard for a month. I'm still employed so it's not like it's an emergency that I find something, I just want to make a change. 

I now have 3 interviews tomorrow.

• divarhd said:

H and I fight about dog-earring books; he's pro dog-earring and clearly wrong. But also, library use is on the decline, so that seems a little extreme. 

I completely saw this as a book about Dog earrings :) Must be the pounding headache I have, I had to read it twice to get it

I did too!!  :D

• Does anyone take their lunch to work? Do you always do sandwiches or do you have a mix of stuff?

Also I'm on the hunt for lunch tupperware - even if there's an area for sandwich and then a snack. You know, like the kind you give kids.

Kinda like this:
    https://www.amazon.ca/California-Home-Goods-CHG-KD-3C-6P-3-Compartment/dp/B01535KBSC/ref=sr_1_15?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1493225922&sr=1-15&keywords=tupperware

I like those! It's like a bento box for adults!

Kinda like this:

Admittedly, I have to live vicariously on this from my other coworkers.  One of my coworkers has a mini fridge...that's in my office, lol.  When he and his wife cook dinners, they make extra for lunches.  So he has a wide variety of things he brings for lunch.

Another coworker has a small crockpot at her desk.  It came with a handy container.  She takes the container part back and forth to her house to fill it with whatever she is having for lunch the next day.  She gets her little crockpot going when she first gets to work and, by lunch, her soup/chili/food is hot and ready to go.

That link seems like a good deal to get six of those containers for only $11.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sending positive job vibes for everyone!

@VarunaTT, I totally understand that feeling. Everything is going relatively smoothly in my life for the first time ever, and I'm just waiting for the first domino to fall.

The managing attorney brought in bagels this morning for Administrative Professionals Day, and my boss gave me a Target gift card, so those improved my mood somewhat. The last few days, I've been feeling really burned out. I cancelled my vacation next month because FMIL isn't coming up after all (so the first time I meet her will be shortly before the wedding). Now I wish I hadn't cancelled it. I need to schedule a day or two in the near future.

Tonight I'm volunteering at the food bank, which is always fun. I think I need the reset.
  • @MissKittyDanger things I have done for lunch besides sandwiches:

Trader Joe's Rice Medley, Trader Joe's Indian Fair Madras Lentils, and Chicken Breast

Salad--I used to bring one with mixed spring greens, strawberries, chicken breast, Gorgonzola and poppyseed dressing. It was kind of a pain having separate containers for it, but actually making it at work was super easy just by tossing it all in one bowl. 

Shredded chicken breast, hummus, hard boiled egg, carrots or celery

Spanish Rice, Black Bean Veggie Patty, and one of those 100 calorie individual wholly guacamole 

Veggie burrito with black beans, bell peppers and onion mix (frozen from Tjs), light Mexican cheese, whole wheat tortilla 

• @sparklepants41  That's kinda why I like them :)

@short+sassy  we have a fridge at work, and if M doesn't have a fridge at whatever job he has, I'd be willing to get him a little ice container to keep things cool.
    Definitely a good deal too :) Since there's only 6, that's why I'd get 2 set. That way if either of us forget a container at work it's not the end of the world.

@levioosa  yumm!!! You are giving me wonderful ideas! :)

@OurWildKingdom  you should take a mental health day. It's always good to have at least one of those.

•  The last few days, I've been feeling really burned out. I cancelled my vacation next month because FMIL isn't coming up after all (so the first time I meet her will be shortly before the wedding). Now I wish I hadn't cancelled it. I need to schedule a day or two in the near future.

STUCK 

can you go back and still take at least one of those days off just to recharge? I did yesterday and am very happy I did