Wedding Woes
Options

Shrunken Ethics

I started seeing a shrink a few years ago for general life stuff. I’ve gone from seeing her every week to once a month, and in general life has been getting better. As I was leaving the office today she said seemingly in passing, “You know, it’s too bad it’s unethical for me to introduce you to my daughter, I think she’d like you and you’d like her.” My take on the situation is that she wouldn’t have said anything unless she was looking for permission from me to do so. I’m interested in the possibility, in part because dating in South Florida is lackluster, in part because what she’s mentioned about her daughter in the past has intrigued me. Is it really unethical for her to do that? Is my read on the situation correct? Is there a way to parlay the “offhanded comment” into an actual meeting?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Shrunken Ethics

• Options
    I would think the assumption on LW's part is correct.  Therapist knows it's unethical, they said it. If LW is curious enough, maybe call therapist and see if she was serious?
  • Options
    It's unprofessional. No doubt about it. 

If y'all dated, you would probably have to change shrinks, because the romantic part of your life would be.....odd....to talk about with your girlfriend's (or ex-girlfriend's) mom. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Definitely unprofessional. Either bring it up with the therapist, or find a new one. 
  • Options

Since the LW doesn't seem offended, perhaps pursue it.  But DEFINITELY change therapists if that's what he is thinking about.  He'd also have to think about if he'd really want to date someone whose mother knows so many intimate details about him.

Really, though, the therapist should never have said something like that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If the professional is telling you it's unethical, take her word for it. If you're really interested, switch therapists.