Wedding Woes

He really used 'swipe left' after all that?

Dear Prudence,
I’m a 27-year-old man in a friendship-turned-romance with a 26-year-old woman. We met as (platonic) housemates, then reconnected years later and started a (non-exclusive) long-distance relationship. About five months ago we moved in together as a couple. We’re first and foremost best friends and companions. I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed spending time with her, we deeply respect and care for one another, and I can see myself spending the rest of my life with her.

We’re both sexually experienced with well-developed tastes, and our most glaring issue is that I am kinky and she is vanilla. I’ve always enjoyed exploring kink, and my past relationships have all involved healthy doses of fetish and fantasy. My girlfriend is much more traditional and likes her sex life to be private, monogamous, and primarily in the missionary position. We’ve both spoken pretty candidly about this but can’t seem to make much headway. She says she feels pressured to “meet my expectations” as well as feeling “sexually inadequate” compared with my previous kinky partners; meanwhile I feel neglected, unfulfilled, and restricted in our bedroom. She says she’s willing to explore things outside her comfort zone but it seems like nearly every time I bring up an idea it is met with resistance or plain disgust. I’m not picky, I just like to spice things up! Meanwhile, if it were up to her we would continue through the same motions, ad infinitum. It’s gotten to the point where I am discouraged and reluctant to make suggestions at risk of reigniting conflict and hurting her feelings. I’m losing inspiration in my sex life but I’m not ready to “swipe left” on someone who I care about so deeply. Help!

—Kinked

Re: He really used 'swipe left' after all that?

• mrsconn23 said:

I'm curious as to what he has asked for and/or tried to introduce to her.  Because it seems like this would have to be a baby steps thing.  I mean, any changes in 'kink' level for DH and I has always been a gradual thing and a lot of communication on what feels good/works and what is a "Never doing that again."

If he's gone too much too soon with someone who's had a 'traditional' sex life/experiences, I can see how it could be scary to her and send her running back to what she knows.  

Also, why does she have to completely change?  And how much is he bringing up previous partners?  I feel like there is middle ground here,  He's painting her as unwilling to compromise, but he doesn't come off as concerned about her comfort level. 

Right? Big difference between "hey, I bought a blindfold. Would you like to try it?" And "hey girl, I hung a sex swing in the bedroom. Also, I bought you a domimatrix outfit." 

If LW reminisces about past sex experiences that can't be healthy for the relationship either. I really just want to know if this all assumption, or if there have been open and honest communication with experimentation and compromise from both parties. 

• I'm curious if they've considered a sexual therapist?
    Also why is she saying she's willing to try then won't? That part would confuse me too as a partner.
  • If you're only 5 months into a relationship and you're already feeling "neglected" and realizing you aren't sexually compatible....all signs point to going back to friendship (not "swiping left", ew!). 

I'm honestly curious what these conversations are like. Like what has he asked for where she responded with "plain disgust"? LOL!!
    *********************************************************************************

• Well, if the LW isn't ready to swipe left, then he needs to get used to be sexually unfulfilled.  I don't see that working long term.  And if he doesn't want to go that route (who would?), then ready or not, he needs to move on.  Honestly, that sounds better for both of them: he's frustrated, she feels inadequate--it's just not going to work.  Go back to being friends.
  • I wonder how long term the long-distance relationship was.

Honestly, he just needs to end it.  I have yet to see a vanilla/kink relationship work out to both parties feeling fulfilled sexually.  Especially if it's this level of vanilla, b/c primarily missionary position just sounds...very unfulfilling to me at all.  

Also, when someone reveals their kink to you and you shut down?  That is a very hard thing to get past.  It takes an enormous amount of trust to reveal kink in a relationship (no matter how long it's been going on) and I think this lady is being kind of a jerk.  

• levioosa said:

If you're only 5 months into a relationship and you're already feeling "neglected" and realizing you aren't sexually compatible....all signs point to going back to friendship (not "swiping left", ew!). 

I'm honestly curious what these conversations are like. Like what has he asked for where she responded with "plain disgust"? LOL!!

Anal

I was thinking more along the lines of his "fetishes and fantasies" comment. Like he asked her to dress up like an ethereal bear with a shoe fetish or something. LOL!! :D I mean, unless she truly is the palest shade of vanilla, I feel like it'd have to be pretty out there to be "plain disgusted".
    *********************************************************************************

• Also, I'm wondering how the counter-post to this would read.... lol!

• levioosa said:

If you're only 5 months into a relationship and you're already feeling "neglected" and realizing you aren't sexually compatible....all signs point to going back to friendship (not "swiping left", ew!). 

Anal

That would get my 'plain disgust' reaction too.

FUNNY THING:
    I had an ex who talked to my former friend's (now ex) fb and tried to convince me to "try it" because "i don't know what i'm missing"
    This was the beginning of the end of the relationship.

I was pissed - as I had told him that's a 'hard no' awhile before - and said "if you shove something up your ass, I will."

After less than a day he retracted asking.
  • I want to know when he's brought up these "changes" he wants her to make. Is it during sex, or is it in a less "excited" state? I think new things (especially way outside of a comfort zone) are best discussed before hand and not in the heat of the moment, unless you're both on board for trying new things. 

• mrsconn23 said:

Also, I'm wondering how the counter-post to this would read.... lol!

Me too.  

There's something about the tone of this letter that is sticking in my craw.  Like he fancies himself a Mr. Grey and Anastasia is not playing along like he wants her to.  

Yes, that is exactly how I feel. 

• mrsconn23 said:

Me too.  

There's something about the tone of this letter that is sticking in my craw.  Like he fancies himself a Mr. Grey and Anastasia is not playing along like he wants her to.  

I mean, I think they should break up - kink isn't really optional, in my experience, and only gets kinkier over time. But he does sound...smarmy about it all. Like, "I know exactly what I want. I'm so enlightened. I just wish she'd listen when I tell her what she should think!" Just - ugh. Awful. 
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2017
    IDK, I have seen the counter point to this.

I had a friend, M, who's GF had a kink that she revealed to him after...I want to say almost a year of dating.  M knew that myself and another friend, were involved in the kink community.  He came and asked us if he should break up with her, b/c her kink "freaked" him out and was "disgusting."

We reminded him that she trusted him enough to share with him a very deep secret and that he was behaving how most of society behaved...which was why it was a deep secret that she waited so long to tell him.  If he broke up with her over it, it was irrevocable.  And frankly M's GF is an amazing person, so he was stupid AF if he broke up with her.

He got over it. They explored some things together, slowly.  They're engaged now and he's happy.  Hell, suspension in the kink community is something I cannot handle at all, but I control my reactions to it.  As long as everything is consensual and done properly, "disgusting" shouldn't enter into it.  It's not for you and that's 100% okay, but there's no need to shame anyone.
  • I don't think he sounds smarmy.  I mean, y'all might not like the "swipe left" thing, but overall he's stated what she's told him and how it's making him feel.  

Except for the talking about previous sexual partners thing, which I give a bit of leeway too since they're having kink conversations obviously and it's kind of hard not to refer to past experiences, I don't see him doing anything wrong.
  • I agree with you to a point, Varuna.  

But he's calling her 'vanilla and traditional' and says she's told him she feels inadequate/insecure due to what she knows about his previous experience and is fretting about meeting his expectations.  What is he doing to make her feel safe and secure while they explore?  The letter doesn't address that and due to my aforementioned issues with his tone, it makes one wonder. 

They probably aren't compatible, but I don't think it's entirely on her. 

• mrsconn23 said:

Me too.  

I was getting similar feelings too

• My suspicion?  Part/all of this is about multiple partners and/or group sex.  Because he specifically points out she wants monogamy at this point in their relationship.  If that was what he wanted also, he wouldn't have used it as an example of their differences.  But, yeah, he was pretty vague and "light" on real examples.

I can see that being a hard no, even for the most GGG vanilla partner.

With all that said, I hope his partner isn't really using the word "disgusting".  That is a heavily charged word.  Here are my examples:

"You want to have a 3-way with me and another man/woman.  That's disgusting!!!!"

or

"I know you've been involved in group sex in the past, and I'm okay with that, but it just isn't something I'm comfortable with at all for our relationship.  I'm sorry, but this isn't something I'm willing to try and it is off the table."

So I had a similar thought, but then I also thought that maybe he specifically mentioned that so that prudie didn't suggest an "open relationship" or something of that sort, since I could see that being a go-to solution (as I have seen her suggest it many times for couples who "in love" but have mismatched intimacy levels)

I also agree that I hope she's not calling him disgusting, because that's not ok.

I hope this is a "neither one is right or wrong" kind of situation, but I also kind of feel like I need to know how vanilla is vanilla (like is it literally just missionary once a week kinda deal) and how kinky is kinky.