Wedding Woes

Tuesday

DH is in his meeting with the new company.  They are only scheduled for 30 minutes, but have been lasting up to 2 hrs.  I hope and pray he feels good coming out of it.  He's been up and down depending on the hour for the last few weeks and it's taking a toll on him.

I need to clean my ass off today, make dinner for neighbor, get in a workout since I can't go to soccer practice to walk, oh and I just had two big projects dumped on me. 

Re: Tuesday

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My husband was trying to be helpful.  He put the pork I was supposed to cook today in the effing freezer.  Now I need to add a trip to the grocery store.
  • Good luck at the meeting Mr.6!
    I never realized how often we ate pork and pork products till we moved here, lol. We can still get some things, like bacon and sausages, but most of the big cuts are frozen and I can't find a boston butt to save my life. It is DH's favorite :(.

I didn't do jack shit today. DH wants me to take over the finances so I spent more time this morning than I'd like to admit reacquainting myself with excel. Annnnd watching old seasons of Drag Race, hehe.

it should be later than Tuesday. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

6fsn said:

I need to clean my ass off today, 

that gave me a bit of a chuckle

Hope your H's meeting goes well and is on the shorter side, 2 hour meetings just sound awful
  • kvrunskvruns member

Good luck at the meeting Mr.6!
    I never realized how often we ate pork and pork products till we moved here, lol. We can still get some things, like bacon and sausages, but most of the big cuts are frozen and I can't find a boston butt to save my life. It is DH's favorite :(.

I didn't do jack shit today. DH wants me to take over the finances so I spent more time this morning than I'd like to admit reacquainting myself with excel. Annnnd watching old seasons of Drag Race, hehe.

do you track spending/bills in excel? 

• kvruns said:

Good luck at the meeting Mr.6!

do you track spending/bills in excel? 

Short answer, no. But we will. ;) I don't want to track as much as set long/ medium/ short term goals for us and just be more organized in our spending. 

for dinner I am going to make a recipe that calls for half and half. Half and half isn't really a thing here (at least not at the little store next door) but the have things like Full Cream which is different than full milk, they even have Extra cream which is weird to me too. I was in a hurry because I had the dog tied to the post outside (it is a little store I can see him from the checkout line and it is completely shaded, etc) so I grabbed a little thing of full cream. It's camel milk. Guess tonight it the night we pop that cherry, lol.

• 6fsn said: 

My husband was trying to be helpful.  He put the pork I was supposed to cook today in the effing freezer.  Now I need to add a trip to the grocery store.

See, my DH is the opposite. He put a half-thawed chicken freezer meal in the oven to cook.  I was just like... You did realize all the chicken was a frozen chunk before you put it in the oven, right?  It will never cook.  

So I still had to defrost spaghetti sauce so we could eat at all last night.  On top of a 12+ hour workday.  He means well.

I'm swamped at work, which is how I like it.  I think new temp boss hates me (most female colleagues do, and I have no idea why), so I'm trying to dial myself back and give her time to settle in.  But I need her to do that sooner rather than later because the "swamped" is about to become "missed deadlines" since I also have to spend a lot of time bringing her up to speed.  And I'm more than halfway through my work week already.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Good luck to Mr. 6!!

Last night I was beyond exhausted so I changed into jammies and curled up in bed with some peanut butter, wheat thins, chocolate covered strawberries, and a large glass of orange juice and started watching the Leah Remini Scientology show. Now that Big Little Lies and This Is Us are over for the time being, I needed something new to binge watch. But where Leah Remini's show is nonfiction, I'm not sure how much binge watching I can do in one sitting without getting too freaked out. It might just be a "one episode every night for the next week or so" thing. 

On my way into work this morning, the morning radio show I listen to during my commute had somehow gotten on the topic of swingers. This woman called in and talked about this upscale restaurant in the next town over from us (that coincidentally H & I had been talking about over the weekend as a great new place to have date night) has swingers night ever Wednesday. You better believe I called up H so fast and told him I still wanted to try the place - just not on Wednesday!  :o:D
  • @6fsn  good luck to Mr. 6! Despite the fact he put the pork in the freezer ;)

@missJeanLouise  I can give you a couple sites that are good for tracking things if you want some options, but tbh I do same as you and use excel. Then I put per pay what we have to pay our and keep track of spending. I use specific amount of cash per pay, so it's differently tracked but it could help.

@charlotte989875  yay almost done :)

@DrillSergeantCat  Yay progress though! :)

I'll post later or tomorrow, but the pantry is done! First home reno was a success! :)

I fell asleep on the couch for an hour before M sent me to bed. Angel and I were quite content on the couch though. Lol
    M ended up coming up for a bit while I was reading, and since he's also tired he made up random songs about Angel. The cat tends to stick a bit of his tongue out, and we call it 'derp face' - so he kept singing 'the little derp that could' lmao

I basically slipped into a coma. I usually wake up at some point to have water or something, but nothing.
    Probably crashing early tonight again. Still getting caught up.

Tonight I have to record a video, edit another, set up pantry and M is weed whacking the yard. He found a bleeding heart bush at the far corner of where someone had a garden, so I'm pretty happy :)

Tomorrow I booked off because it would have been my parents 31st anniversary. I'm surprising my mum after work, and then M is surprising her and we're going to dinner.
  • edited May 2017
    @MissKittyDanger I Love bleeding hearts! I planted one in our old place, I hope it survives long enough to surprise someone.  <3 If you want to recommend some sites, I will take a look. I have tried a few different ones in the past but none of them ever do what a I want so I usually just using excel. TBH, we didn't really budget things together until we were wedding planning and now that it has past we fell out of the habit but it did help us save a bunch of money fairly quickly so we thought we would try it again.

camel milk tastes like regular milk, btw.
  • @missJeanLouise  it was a wonderful surprise :) it's really close to where we {me} wanted bleeding heart bush, so I'm pretty happy about that part.

sites: {i believe all are free}
    https://secure.budgettracker.com/login.php?sp=nouser
    https://www.mint.com/
    https://www.budgetsimple.com/

this site has a lot> https://www.goodfinancialcents.com/best-free-online-budgeting-tools/
  • I need a vacation.  I *think* I might be able to sneak away to camp.  It's bad timing and I really shouldn't go, but if I can, I'm gonna.  June 20th cannot come fast enough, but it really can too.

Other than that, SSDD.  I'm having to bite the bullet and do something at work I'm not super stoked about taking on again.  It's a long lost skill I'm having to reclaim and there's been loads of changes in the process.  I'm being that old person at work.
  • you with all your budgeting....me just spending my money till it's gone = my budget. LOL
    @sparklepants41 , how funny that it's a restaurant you were planning on going to! 
    @drillsergeantcat, that is great news.  FX for a quick sale for you!

SSDD for me.  I have been eating healthy lately and last night i just wanted pizza.  It's rare for me to want pizza but I did.  So I ordered from a place I never ordered before that had great reviews.  Joke was on me because aside from the wings (always have to get wings with pizza) the pizza was NASTY.  Such a waste of money.  I'll freeze up the slices and DH can eat them as a last resort I guess. It wasn't cheap either :(

Death......or a slice of this pizza....

• I think I officially have a cold.  Ugh.  

Better sleep last night, but not great.  

Other than that, SSDD
  • BOO @mrsconn23 I hope you feel better soon.
  • SSDD. I got a call at 7:45 this morning from the HR department at another hospital asking for an interview. I let it go to voicemail so I have to call them back. But I'm kind of surprised they called that early. I'm still waiting on my background check from the one hospital and it's making me nervous now. It's been over a week. But I need to keep going to interviews until things are a solid yes. 

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

@MissJeanLouise, I use Excel for my budgeting and all kinds of stuff related to that.  It's even multi-tabbed, lol.

Since I never get to visit foreign lands, much less live in one, I really enjoy living vicariously through you.  Please let us know how the camel milk goes/tastes.

@DrillSergeantCat, good luck with your house!  I hope your potential new employer "sees the light" and gives you the kind of money you deserve.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out my next mini-vacation.  Why can't hotels be cheaper?  Argh!

Here are my two contenders, though I'd like to do both, lol.

• Gulf Coast beach vacation in AL or FL.  Driving distance, I haven't searched too hard for pricing, but the best I've found is about $170/night.
    • Chicago.  Plane tickets are at least $200/person.  Which I think is outrageous higher than expected.  NOLA is not that far away "as the plane flies" and Chicago is a major airport.  I need to plug it into my Hopper App and see if I can do better.  Even on AirBnB/VRBO, rooms start at about $150/night to stay in the prime areas.  And they book fast!  I saw some "private rooms" for $50-$60/night as opposed to a whole apartment.  They weren't walking distance to the downtown, but didn't look too far.  Not sure how convenient they would be to public transportation.

So much for my "quick getaway" to Chicago for a few hundred bucks, lol.  I'm looking at over a $1,000 for 4 days.  Just on flights and lodging.  But I REALLY want to go!  My H has never been there and I was there once about 20 years ago.  I even looked at taking the train or driving.  It's a 13-hour drive one-way.  Ummm...no way, lol.  The train was almost as expensive as an airline ticket!  And took almost as much time as driving.  Double no-way.

They do have one of those "fancy" trains that runs from NOLA to Chicago.  Like the kind you see in an old-timey movie.  That baby is $3K for a stateroom with two people.  Now that's riding in style!  But not even in the same city has the "ballpark" of my budget, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2017
    @short+sassy the camel milk tasted a lot like regular milk but it was pasteurized. I have heard that fresh camel milk is light and smooth? Idk, I have never had fresh cows milk either. Are you looking to do anything specific on your mini-vacation? I used Skyscanner and GoogleFlights to look for cheap tickets
  • @CharmedPam I have the same budget plan as you.  LOL.  

This week/weekend has just been crazy and I'm seriously considering a taking a paycut and a career switch because I'm losing steam here.  I have been going through this for months now and it's just getting worse.  It doesn't help that I (most likely) lost that huge bid I spent forever on with no support.  I'm trying some moves to save it, but I'm not sure it will be successful.

The upside, H has only a month left of school so weeks like this one, where we only get to spend time together Sunday night, are limited.  I'm also wearing a cute new shirt I bought at Franscescas with cactuses on it and that makes me happy.

• kvrunskvruns member
    @short+sassy I like Hotwire for Chicago hotels if you end up going there. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

@short+sassy the camel milk tasted a lot like regular milk but it was pasteurized. I have heard that fresh camel milk is light and smooth? Idk, I have never had fresh cows milk either. Are you looking to do anything specific on your mini-vacation? I used Skyscanner and GoogleFlights to look for cheap tickets.

Thanks!  I was really curious about the camel's milk.  I've never had fresh cow's milk either.  Or goat's milk for that matter.  Sometimes it's tough being a city girl, lol.

Thanks for the recommendations on finding cheap flights.  I will check those out.  For FL, no plans other than lounging at the beach and the pool.

For Chicago, seeing the Natural History Museum and the Art Museum are absolute MUSTS.  And ALL the good food.  Though Chicago strikes me as being like NYC when it comes to food.  There will be amazing places to eat everywhere.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  all hail the multi-tab! Lmao!
  • I have spent majority of the morning organizing the backroom of the office. Had to give up, because the lower I got the harder it became because we still have boxes of files to destroy.

At least majroity of 2016 closed files are settled. I'm gonna do filing after lunch and ensure my desk is super clean ;)

• @CharmedPam I have the same budget plan as you.  LOL.  

This week/weekend has just been crazy and I'm seriously considering a taking a paycut and a career switch because I'm losing steam here.  I have been going through this for months now and it's just getting worse.  It doesn't help that I (most likely) lost that huge bid I spent forever on with no support.  I'm trying some moves to save it, but I'm not sure it will be successful.

What kind of career change? You've done political work in the past right?

• @short+sassy the camel milk tasted a lot like regular milk but it was pasteurized. I have heard that fresh camel milk is light and smooth? Idk, I have never had fresh cows milk either. Are you looking to do anything specific on your mini-vacation? I used Skyscanner and GoogleFlights to look for cheap tickets.

Thanks!  I was really curious about the camel's milk.  I've never had fresh cow's milk either.  Or goat's milk for that matter.  Sometimes it's tough being a city girl, lol.

Thanks for the recommendations on finding cheap flights.  I will check those out.  For FL, no plans other than lounging at the beach and the pool.

For Chicago, seeing the Natural History Museum and the Art Museum are absolute MUSTS.  And ALL the good food.  Though Chicago strikes me as being like NYC when it comes to food.  There will be amazing places to eat everywhere.

How about Denver? Or Austin? Are you trying to stay within a certain distance? 

(P.s. Not to seem AWish but I am k8e_bunny on IG if you was to see more)
  • If you do make it out to Chicago, @short+sassy , I'd try to hit up a blues bar sometime during your visit.  I went to Buddy Guy's Legends and it was awesome! Of course....you're from NOLA so what am I saying? 

• @short+sassy the camel milk tasted a lot like regular milk but it was pasteurized. I have heard that fresh camel milk is light and smooth? Idk, I have never had fresh cows milk either. Are you looking to do anything specific on your mini-vacation? I used Skyscanner and GoogleFlights to look for cheap tickets.

@missJeanLouise  i'm adding you on ig because i'm a creeper ;)
  • @charlotte989875 Yes I did, but I'm afraid now that'd be too big of a pay cut to be manageable.  Especially now that I'm married to a man whose pay is subjected to the whims of a conservative government.  I was approached about running a local state Senator's campaign but based on what the legislative assistant salary is in Lansing, I don't think I can swing that financially either.  I'd probably stay in sales, but switch industries.  My BFF has been trying to steal me for a while now for her catering company.  The feel-good benefit is they are based in a former booming city and are leading the comeback, so the income has potential, it's just a longer term goal.  

@short+sassy - what days are you thinking about going? I love travelling to Chicago, but it's a 4 hour drive for me.  I usually check out Eater Chicago and see what's been talked about in the past couple months and go from there.  I also prefer staying in River North/Streeterville over Downtown/The Loop.  There are way cooler neighborhoods like Wicker Park, but if you want to check out the museums and downtown touristy stuff, it's easier to stay there and travel once or twice for a cool restaurant than to stay outside and travel downtown everyday.  If you get talked into a piano bar The Redhead > Howl at the Moon.

@MissKittyDanger and @missJeanLouise I'm totally down for being an IG whore with ya'll:).

@missJeanLouise  i'm adding you on ig because i'm a creeper ;)

I am too! :-)