Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Is 4:30 a good ceremony start time?

My wedding is 09-08-2018.

The ceremony and the reception are at the same place within walking distance from each other.

When I asked the vendor when they usually have weddings she said its up to us but that time of the year will typically see 3:00-4:00.

So I was thinking have it ready to be seated at 4:00, start the ceremony at 4:30, that way the cocktail hour can start at 5:00 and then reception start at 6:00 pm and end at 10pm.

Is this a good start time? 

Re: Is 4:30 a good ceremony start time?

• Seems workable to me.

• My wedding is 09-08-2018.

The ceremony and the reception are at the same place within walking distance from each other.

When I asked the vendor when they usually have weddings she said its up to us but that time of the year will typically see 3:00-4:00.

So I was thinking have it ready to be seated at 4:00, start the ceremony at 4:30, that way the cocktail hour can start at 5:00 and then reception start at 6:00 pm and end at 10pm.

Is this a good start time? 

Do you mean you are listing the start time on the invitations as 4 pm but not actually starting the ceremony until 4:30?  That is very rude. The start time listed on the invitation should be the actual start time of the ceremony.  If people are late, that's on them. But the people who arrive on time (the majority) shouldn't be penalized for others' tardiness. 

If you want to start the ceremony at 4:30, start it at 4:30.

4:30 Ceremony

5:00 Cocktail Hour

6:00 Reception Start

• I missed that part, @levioosa. My bad.
  • edited May 2017
    @levioosa No i am not putting that on the invites, I originally was gonna put in the draft to clarify it was just so people can arrive early and seat at their own discretion but then i thought it wasn't relevant. The invites will say 4:30pm.

• @levioosa No i am not putting that on the invites, I originally was gonna put in the draft to clarify it was just so people can arrive early and seat at their own discretion but then i thought it wasn't relevant. The invites will say 4:30pm.

Oh good.  We have a lot of brides come on here and say they are going to list the start time on the invites 30-45 minutes early so "people get there on time."  

Having the ceremony venue open 30 minutes before the ceremony start time is good.  I am one of those people who almost always arrives 20-30 minutes before so I can get settled in, use the restroom, etc.  

• levioosa no problem, I am just trying to get a feel on this being the ceremony time frame. It just makes sense to me for it to be later and closer to an actual dinner time (why reception starts at 6 pm). I just wanted to make sure I wasnt asking for something unreasonable. 

• levioosa no problem, I am just trying to get a feel on this being the ceremony time frame. It just makes sense to me for it to be later and closer to an actual dinner time (why reception starts at 6 pm). I just wanted to make sure I wasnt asking for something unreasonable. 

Your time line is perfectly fine.  Appropriate for meal times, no gap, reasonable cocktail hour length (technically you can stretch it out to 90 minutes but I find that a 90 minute cocktail hour starts to feel a little long).  

• Sounds great to me!
  • Perfect timing!
    *********************************************************************************

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Timeline sounds fine to me.  And when I read your post I totally read it as guests can sit as early as 4, not that you're listing 4 as the start time.  I'm from a "early is on time, on time is late" family, so we always appreciate when a space is ready a bit early ;) 
  • Looks good! I think you can also mention, maybe on your website, the venue will be open at 4 just so any early birds know when they can show up & get situated. But good call just putting the 4:30 start time on the invites :)