Attire & Accessories Forum

Hiding Bridesmaids Tattoos

2»

Re: Hiding Bridesmaids Tattoos

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

CMGragain said:

I can sympathize with OP.  I strongly dislike tattoos, personally.  I would never say anything to someone who had one because that would be rude.
    I judge people who have offensive tattoos.  We have tattoo parlors here that openly refuse to do them.  There is nothing cute about a pile of poop.  Swastikas are also taboo.  Many shops will not do the Confederate Battle Flag, either, or anything that suggests racism or bigotry.  As a person who is fighting death, any designs that glorify it, such as skulls or zombies, are offensive to me, though you can easily get them from any tattoo parlor.
    If you choose to decorate your body with tattoos, that is your own business, but demanding that everyone approves of your choice is going too far.  Don't come and show me your latest body art and expect me to coo over it, because I won't.
    As for the bridesmaid, it sounds like she is a nice and reasonable person who has made some errors in judgement.  I hope she finds something nice to wear at the wedding.

I have a friend who is in the business of tattoo removal.  She always has more work than she can easily schedule.

Some of you have reading failure.  As I stated, I would NEVER comment on someone's tattoos, and I do keep my opinion to myself. I would not gossip about someone's tattoos, either, because that is bad behavior.  That doesn't mean that I like them.  I do not.
    A tattoo of a poop emoji is, IMHO, an error in judgement.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited May 2017

CMGragain said:

CMGragain said:

I can sympathize with OP.  I strongly dislike tattoos, personally.  I would never say anything to someone who had one because that would be rude.
    I judge people who have offensive tattoos.  We have tattoo parlors here that openly refuse to do them.  There is nothing cute about a pile of poop.  Swastikas are also taboo.  Many shops will not do the Confederate Battle Flag, either, or anything that suggests racism or bigotry.  As a person who is fighting death, any designs that glorify it, such as skulls or zombies, are offensive to me, though you can easily get them from any tattoo parlor.
    If you choose to decorate your body with tattoos, that is your own business, but demanding that everyone approves of your choice is going too far.  Don't come and show me your latest body art and expect me to coo over it, because I won't.
    As for the bridesmaid, it sounds like she is a nice and reasonable person who has made some errors in judgement.  I hope she finds something nice to wear at the wedding.

I have a friend who is in the business of tattoo removal.  She always has more work than she can easily schedule.

Some of you have reading failure.  As I stated, I would NEVER comment on someone's tattoos, and I do keep my opinion to myself. I would not gossip about someone's tattoos, either, because that is bad behavior.  That doesn't mean that I like them.  I do not.

Just because you add "IMHO" doesn't make it humble. You don't have to say it at all, whether it's to their face or in a post that doesn't actually help the OP but rather talks about your own preferences.

I (and probably everyone else) saw the above where you claim that you would never comment on them, but you have no problem doing it generally, when you know there are ladies here who have them. That's not reading comprehension fail. That's the classic "I would never say ___," and then going on to say it.

This is an anonymous internet board.  I can share unpopular opinions here.  I doubt if many members here have poop emoji tattoos or zombie cupcakes ones.

I dislike tattoos.  I do not apologize for my opinion.  Many people share this opinion.  This does not mean that I dislike people who have tattoos.   This does not mean that I would confront anyone about their tattoos.  It is a personal choice to have them, or to not have them.  The OP expressed concern about the nature of her bridesmaid's tattoos, too.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • debbeaudebbeau member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Answer
    I don't think I have ever just walked up to someone and showed them my tattoos especially not hoping for some cooing. Pictures of my dog maybe. 

• CMGragain said:

CMGragain said:

CMGragain said:

Just because you add "IMHO" doesn't make it humble. You don't have to say it at all, whether it's to their face or in a post that doesn't actually help the OP but rather talks about your own preferences.

I (and probably everyone else) saw the above where you claim that you would never comment on them, but you have no problem doing it generally, when you know there are ladies here who have them. That's not reading comprehension fail. That's the classic "I would never say ___," and then going on to say it.

This is an anonymous internet board.  I can share unpopular opinions here.  I doubt if many members here have poop emoji tattoos or zombie cupcakes ones.

I dislike tattoos.  I do not apologize for my opinion.  Many people share this opinion.  This does not mean that I dislike people who have tattoos.   This does not mean that I would confront anyone about their tattoos.  It is a personal choice to have them, or to not have them.  The OP expressed concern about the nature of her bridesmaid's tattoos, too.

Yes, you can share unpopular opinions and we can confirm they are in fact unpopular, and even hurtful to some of us. You don't like tattoos, fine don't get one. You said you wouldn't confront someone directly, but you are posting about that on a board, with other people, many of whom have tattoos that mean quite a bit to us. 

Whether it's an emoji, a piece of text, abstract art, or just an image someone likes it means something to them (and I'm not talking about something generally offensive like Nazi insignia that your previously referred to), and for you to refer to it (even broadly) as an error in judgement is something many of us have a problem with. 
    edited May 2017
    @charlotte989875, I'm OK with your response.  Thank you for explaining it so well.  I still don't understand how a picture that portrays excrement is not offensive, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Granted, I refused to get my eldest a red poop emoji hat at Christmas - because come on though she did have Rainbow ones for her Birthday cupcakes!  But OP - I equate this one with the mid-January wedding on a lake in the UP of Michigan.  You're REALLY wanting her to wear long sleeves in the middle of summer because she has a sleeve?!?!?!  WTELF!  Her choice in artwork is not the problem here.  None of the artwork you've mentioned is truly offensive in the real world.  Most of your family knows they exist, what's the issue?  If anything you've got the perfect idea for a BM gift in a certificate to her favorite artist's place of business.  

IMO - let her choose her own dress and get over yourself.  It's not like you're having a highly conservative church or mosque wedding in which case everyone would be covering up including yourself as modestly as possible and taking a layer off for the reception.  
  • edited May 2017

CMGragain said:

@charlotte989875, I'm OK with your response.  Thank you for explaining it so well.  I still don't understand how a picture that portrays excrement is not offensive, though.

I honestly don't find that offensive. It's not my style but I'm not offended if someone else puts that on their body. 
  • Thanks @missJeanLouise! Now I have to go wash my eyes out! 

I couldn't help it, hehe. I started to write a big, long post too but figured the emoji would speak for itself and erased it.

I couldn't help it, hehe. I started to write a big, long post too but figured the emoji would speak for itself and erased it.

While the happy poop emoji is nms, I wouldn't poo poo someone for getting it.

While the happy poop emoji is nms, I wouldn't poo poo someone for getting it.

word. Mine neither. I am actually kind of a prude when it comes to poop. I worked with 98% men, not a day went by without hearing about someone else's poop and I Haaaaaaated it but I don't think it is something to get bent out of shape about. Especially the emoji.
  • Listen, I personally wouldn't get the poop emoji tattooed on my body. But I really don't understand getting offended by someone else having it on THEIR body. Or a skull, or anything of the sort. 
  • ... many of you do realize that the "Poop emoji" was originally intended as the top of an ice cream cone right?!?!
  • I think you could rewrite your original post as simply "My sister is my MOH and has told me she won't be in the wedding unless she can wear a dress with long sleeves. Can you help me find dresses with long sleeves?"

I bet you would have received a lot of suggestions of bridesmaids dresses where a seamstress could easily add sleeves (some designers allow you to order extra fabric), or links to dresses that already have sleeves, or suggestions to let your bridesmaids just pick whatever they want to wear (maybe within a color palette or specific color) even if it's not a "bridemaids' dress". 
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2017
    I don't get the fascination with the poop emoji, but to each their own I guess. 

Maybe someone's said this already, but couldn't your sister just wear some sort of shawl/wrap during the ceremony so her tattoos wouldn't be so visible/obvious? Then it would be up to her whether to keep it on during the reception. It just seems a little harsh to me that someone has to wear long sleeves for an entire summer day because of a few sensitive relatives (who, frankly, I think need to get used to her tattoos and move on). Maybe that doesn't bother your sister, but I think at least giving her the option is a good idea. 

• CMGragain said:

CMGragain said:

I thought this was "In my honest opinion"?
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse

• I thought this was "In my honest opinion"?

It's both.
  • divarhddivarhd member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I have a tattoo on my wrist that I've had to cover for work (by choice mind you, because I work for the courts.  It's Mickey Mouse, but I just felt better covering it in certain situations).  Here's what i used: https://www.tat2x.com/

They're inexpensive, flesh colored (in different skin tones) or in colors if you can find the color that matches your BM dresses.  The choice is YOURS how your sister handles her ink for your wedding, because it is YOUR wedding.  Since not having her isn't an option, I'd say give this site a shot.  Good luck!

Met: 5/4/16
    Dating: 6/21/16
    Engaged: 3/20/17
    Wedding: 2/24/18

• geebee908 said:

divarhd said:

I have a tattoo on my wrist that I've had to cover for work (by choice mind you, because I work for the courts.  It's Mickey Mouse, but I just felt better covering it in certain situations).  Here's what i used: https://www.tat2x.com/

They're inexpensive, flesh colored (in different skin tones) or in colors if you can find the color that matches your BM dresses.  The choice is YOURS how your sister handles her ink for your wedding, because it is YOUR wedding.  Since not having her isn't an option, I'd say give this site a shot.  Good luck!

Nope, nope, nope. The choice should be her sister's as to whether she covers her tattoos or not. If you love and respect someone, you take them as they are. Asking them to change something about themselves because it's your wedding day only makes you a bridezilla.

The choice IS NOT the bride's to make - same goes for hair color or cut, and makeup as well.  

• divarhd said:

Yeah...you're completely wrong.  Maybe don't treat your nearest and dearest like props? Just maybe?