Wedding Woes

Are you there WW, it's me, Margaret?

I can't believe it's almost 10 and there's no post!

Today I have no motivation.  I'm WFH (our lawn guys have nice uniforms, strange) and then have the company tickets for the Pink out the Park Tigers game tonight. They gave them to our 3 Day Team so we could take our survivor out.

Other than that, we're halfway though the week!

Re: Are you there WW, it's me, Margaret?

• It's been so busy here. I have things I want to post and never get around to it.:(
  • HeeeeAy! 

I had a really great lesson on the horse that bucked me off a few weeks ago. It makes me feel good about my progress.

SSDD for the rest of the day.
    Sad Story Time: My friend found out that his baby that was due in August died from undetected (because of lack of symptoms) preeclampsia. I am so devastated for him. I have no idea what to do, I would love to send them flowers or something? 
  • We apparently had a pretty bad storm last night. A tree at the end of my block was broken and there are downed power lines. I slept through it. 

I got all caught up at work yesterday so today all I have to do is mail and I have three files to invoice. I guess I'll crochet since I am running out of time to get this blanket finished before the baby gets here.

I'm supposed to hear back about that job offer today, but I'm really on the fence about it. I think I'll just revamp my resume to be more inclusive and keep trying.

Have fun at the game tonight @kimmiinthemitten!
  • @missJeanLouise flowers and card would be really nice. 
  • Have fun at the game! The weather is supposed to be pretty nice (at least out this way). 

Im working on some job applications, doing some things around the house, and generally trying to be productive. The week after classes end are the hardest for me to actually do things. 
  • @missJeanLouise I'm so sorry to hear about your friends loss, how devastating.  Flowers and a card are really thoughtful.
  • Good morning.  It's only 8:12 here.   Although I have already washed my sheets and taken a 3 mile walk.

I pick up DH in a few hours from FL.   He said he kicked butt at the tasting.   Was told his pork belly dish was the best they have every had anywhere.   Then DH was all over the place on if he liked it or not.  First he said he is not sure he would take the position.  Then he went on to say the GM is like the GM when he first got there and how he loved that.  He liked all the other staff.  It appeared that they would give him 100% creative control like he has here.

The biggest down fall is time off.  DH has a lot of time of here.  Not only in terms of PTO, but the club is actually shut down for 3 weeks in the fall, 6 in the spring and only open for dinner 4 days a week in the winter.  He has tons of time to play/ski/etc.    The FL club is open longer, which means he will be working more.

Whatever happens it's good he got out there to test the waters. Brush up on interviewing skills, see if there is interest in him, etc.

I have to work later tonight.  It's pretty slow right now, so it will not be so much work as standing around collecting a paycheck.  Too bad we can't use our phones - Ha.

Have a good one

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @lyndausvi do you think you would like FL? Do you think they will make the offer good enough?

@VarunaTT THAT PLACE IS KILLER!! 
  • I am so ridiculously miserable with this cold.  I'm trying to make it to noon and then crashing out. 
  • @VarunaTT that place is gorgeous!  I love how open it is and am a sucker for exposed brick!

@mrsconn23 - 75 more minutes!  You can do it!

• @lyndausvi do you think you would like FL? Do you think they will make the offer good enough?

@VarunaTT THAT PLACE IS KILLER!! 

I don't know.  I've never been a fan of the Miami area.  This is farther up the coast. I've never been there, so I'm not sure the vibe.   I love the beach.  Miss the ocean.  I lived in the islands for 16 years, worked on a boat.  Love the beach and ocean.

We would be closer to family (well, in comparison to where we live now).  The costs of living is much less.  The housing is some 40% less than here.  That is a bonus.

Still at this point if they give him an offer it will have to be REALLY good for us to go.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

@VarunaTT, Your soon-to-be new place is gorgeous!  The open space, wood flooring, big window against exposed brick is fantastic.  I know rent always feels like a lot, but your rental rates are outstanding compared to a lot of the rest of the country.  NOLA is a medium cost of living city (MCOL), but a place like that would run 2-4x what you're paying, depending on what part of town it is in.

@lyndausvi, getting that much time off seems hard to beat for someone working in the restaurant industry.  I'm glad your H did well in his interview and tasting!  Now I want a pork belly dish.  Not really something I see in my neck of the woods.  Meh!

I think I've mentioned my extreme dislike of Miami before.  I lived there for three months after Katrina.  I absolutely HATED it.  So did my H.  I thought it was such a miserable place.  I'm going to apologize in advance to anyone who lives or lived in Miami, lol.  My world view is through rose-colored glasses and I always try to make the best of my situation.  I've liked every other place I've ever lived or visited.

So it takes a lot for me to malign an entire group of people but, generally speaking, I didn't like the "vibe" of the people who lived there.  Really rude.  Really superficial.  Lots of "flash", little substance.  I mean, like anything else, there are going to be wonderful and good people who live there also.  But I think Miami has a larger than average share of shallow/awful people.

I'm not saying I would never move back.  But it would have to be something so amazing that it makes up for my being pissed off and irritated, half the time I'm in public or on the roads, lol.

Edited to add:

Oops!  I just noticed you said the location is further up the coast.  I really didn't leave Miami and the immediate suburbs when I lived there, so I can't really speak about what people are like in other areas.  For example, the people on the Gulf Coast of FL are no better/worse than average.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @atomicblonde I am so happy for you! 

• @lyndausvi, getting that much time off seems hard to beat for someone working in the restaurant industry.  I'm glad your H did well in his interview and tasting!  Now I want a pork belly dish.  Not really something I see in my neck of the woods.  Meh!

I think I've mentioned my extreme dislike of Miami before.  I lived there for three months after Katrina.  I absolutely HATED it.  So did my H.  I thought it was such a miserable place.  I'm going to apologize in advance to anyone who lives or lived in Miami, lol.  My world view is through rose-colored glasses and I always try to make the best of my situation.  I've liked every other place I've ever lived or visited.

So it takes a lot for me to malign an entire group of people but, generally speaking, I didn't like the "vibe" of the people who lived there.  Really rude.  Really superficial.  Lots of "flash", little substance.  I mean, like anything else, there are going to be wonderful and good people who live there also.  But I think Miami has a larger than average share of shallow/awful people.

I'm not saying I would never move back.  But it would have to be something so amazing that it makes up for my being pissed off and irritated, half the time I'm in public or on the roads, lol.

Edited to add:

Oops!  I just noticed you said the location is further up the coast.  I really didn't leave Miami and the immediate suburbs when I lived there, so I can't really speak about what people are like in other areas.  For example, the people on the Gulf Coast of FL are no better/worse than average.

That is exactly how I felt about Miami.  I just didn't like the vibe.  

• @VarunaTT, Your soon-to-be new place is gorgeous!  The open space, wood flooring, big window against exposed brick is fantastic.  I know rent always feels like a lot, but your rental rates are outstanding compared to a lot of the rest of the country.  NOLA is a medium cost of living city (MCOL), but a place like that would run 2-4x what you're paying, depending on what part of town it is in.

@lyndausvi, getting that much time off seems hard to beat for someone working in the restaurant industry.  I'm glad your H did well in his interview and tasting!  Now I want a pork belly dish.  Not really something I see in my neck of the woods.  Meh!

Edited to add:

Oh, I know how lucky we really are.  I'm thankful to be able to afford a place like this.  It's actually bigger than my old house and not that much more than that mortgage.  I also have a free parking garage w/an assigned spot and internet and cable covered.  The management is great too, I always have my requests fulfilled in a 24 hour period.

It's not actually exposed brick, just a brick front.  The building itself is a remodeled parking garage, so every apartment is different in it's size and layout.

And I just found out the person living in that apartment is just moving to another apartment in our complex.  :D  It was probably too much space for 1 bachelor.
  • @missJeanLouise I'm so so sorry for your friends' loss. They must be devastated. I think flowers and a card would be a great idea - and then just check in on them periodically (via email if they don't live near you) to let them know you're thinking of them. 

@VarunaTT holy shit your new place! That's amazing!!

SSDD here. Trying to track down materials for the final draft of my deadline that's going out tomorrow. Went to Whole Foods for lunch and it's GORGEOUS outside. Feeling like I want to "come down with something" like a "very sudden and serious temporary Vitamin D deficiency" so I have to go home for the rest of the day and drink sparkling limeade on my deck with my kindle. 
  • @missJeanLouise that is so awful. Cards and flowers would be nice. 

@VarunaTT that apartment is gorgeous! 

@mrsconn23  I hope you feel better!

@atomicblonde im so glad you're actually enjoying work now. It's so draining to have a shitty job. Good riddance to your old boss. 

I'm waiting to get my pre-employment physical done. I feel like I have a million things to do before school at 3 but whatever. I'll get them done. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I'm scared. I've gained a lot of weight since last year, and last year I was overweight and all "I'm trying to lose 5-7 pounds a month." Well I did the exact opposite there. Ugh. I like my doctor a lot, but she also scares me. Lol. 

• @atomicblonde, Yaaassss!  I remember you didn't think she liked you at first.  I'm glad to hear things have turned out a lot better.  Especially compared to the last manager.  It is AMAZING, how much better life is with good and helpful coworkers.  I previously had a job where I felt like I was killed by a thousand tiny cuts.  It was only after I was no longer there that I realized just how damaging that job had been to my outlook and self confidence.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MNNEBride, congrats!  That sounds great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lots of good news today!  @VarunaTT, your place looks amazing! 
    @atomicblonde, so glad your happy!
    @MNNEBride, congrats!

It's busy here today and whenever I think I have time to catch up - I don't!  I went home on lunch for some BCBC....and texted DH and I was like "why do we even go to the cafeteria at lunch?"  Eating is such a waste of time now.

Is it Friday yet?

• @missJeanLouise I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Did they name the baby? Sometimes getting something with the baby's name on it can be really nice because it shows that others remember him/her as "more than a fetus" and that it was their child. Also try to follow up in the coming months- usually people get a lot of support in the beginning and then a few weeks later, they're totally alone.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------