Wedding Woes

Anne with an E

Is anyone else watching this? It's *dark*. 

Re: Anne with an E

• I've seen it pop up, but haven't watched.  What is it about?
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2017
    Anne of Green Gables
    ETA: except she's very PTSD

(which honestly makes sense given her back story.)
  • The episodes I've seen are closer to the books. They are being shown week-by-week up here on CBC. 
  • they have changed a few things, but so far it's been pretty close in terms of the plot and even dialogue. I think the books gloss over her rough childhood more than the show. 
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

*Barbie* said:

they have changed a few things, but so far it's been pretty close in terms of the plot and even dialogue. I think the books gloss over her rough childhood more than the show. 

Yeah, but to me that makes her a totally different character. While the series' character retains some of her wonder at the sheer beauty of the world, I don't see this as the girl who teaches Marilla to laugh in the books. Anne of Green Gables very obviously did not have PTSD (ETA when many other children in her situation might well have) - kind of like in the Blind Side where Tim McGraw is all "Michael's gift is his ability to forget."

The story of an abused orphan in Canada who suffers like that is a worthy story to be told, but it's not book Anne's story, IMO.
  • I don't mind the backstory so much, it's the nonsense they added in the present that pisses me off. The amethyst brooch incident was completely off the rails, changing her reasons for smacking Gilbert and retconning their interactions takes 90% of the charm out of their later relationship, and why the crap at the end with Matthew and then the thieves? Stop.