Wedding Woes

Mon-er- Tuesday

First the knot is stupid.  Why does it take so many tries to log in?

How was the weekend? How's the week shaping up?

Saturday was soccer.  Our team lost.  Big.  The afternoon parents were straight up assholes.  They yelled at our kids for accidentally sitting on their team bench before our coach got there and it went down from there.  The score was 9-2 and they were chanting "TEN! TEN! TEN!"  Usually at that big of a differential the coach slows the team and the parents cheer the goal, but are more subdued.  One of our players was down, game stopped and their kids were still running around and the parents cheering.  Meanwhile one of our kids took a shot and drilled the keeper in the face.  Game was still going and our kid stopped to check on the keeper.  I'd rather have our losing team than those assholes.

Sunday one game.  The parents were awesome.  They cheered equally for our players and theirs.  (They kicked the assholes in the ass in the playoffs).

Sunday afternoon was a cul-de-sac party.  Tons of mud.  Tons of fun.

Monday yardwork and pool time and dinner on the patio. 

Re: Mon-er- Tuesday

• @6fsn congrats on the recognition at work! It's always nice to be noticed for all the hard work you do. 

This weekend felt both long and short. Saturday was gorgeous weather. H & I got up early (for us) and I went over to the garden shop to buy a replacement hydrangea. Spent more than I was expecting to, but they have a 1-year guarantee, so that's a little reassuring. Saturday afternoon we went over to our friends' house for a birthday BBQ for my godson who turns 3 next week. They live right on the water and the sun was super warm - perfect cookout weather! We sat on their deck and I finally started to get a little bit of color. 

Sunday we went to the world's most awkward dinner party at our neighbors' house. They had made it sound like they were having this huge Memorial Day cookout, but when we showed up (fashionably late), we discovered we were the only ones invited. I had made a Caprese salad and festive cupcakes - and thank goodness I did, because otherwise we wouldn't have had a vegetable or dessert. It was in the low 50s and breezy, but we had to sit outside on their patio. H went back home at one point to grab a sweatshirt for him and a jacket for me. And then the couple started bickering. Since we were the only ones there we couldn't bail. We were trapped. But as soon as we finished our cupcakes we were outta there. I think the awkwardness of the whole thing was magnified for me because I couldn't drink - having a buzz would have definitely made it a little more bearable. But yeesh. 

Yesterday was chilly, raw, and intermittently drizzly. I did absolutely nothing and I don't even feel bad about it. 
  • Never have I ever been so tired. 

Okay, I probably have but it doesn't feel like it right now. Our flight got in at 9:30 but the shuttle to our car took forever so we weren't home until 11!

Overall the weekend was great. Lots of fun, sun and family. The Nugget knew who I was right away and wasn't freaked out to see me in person (vs a phone screen) and that felt amazing.

My sis' MIL moved near them years ago and is always there, and that caused some drama on my end. She's very close with our niece, which is great but she's also one of those people who is extremely un-self-aware if you will. All I want is some alone time with them when we're there, because once she shows up she's the center of everything and takes over everything for the Nugget so bam!  My family are now observers in whatever's happening. It especially breaks my heart for my parents. They sound different and she's still learning ASL so this trip especially she's more shy around them than usual. So my mom that's gotten one hug gets to watch her granddaughter run to her other grandma all the time.   It breaks my heart. My sis is taking my parents to Disney today though without the MIL so hopefully they get some good bonding time in there. 
  • What a shitty weekend. I'm so glad it's over. Saturday, I got a shitty haircut and color that took 3 hours. I'm going to have to go back to get it fixed. I wanted to go darker so she did lowlights, but when she cut my hair it now looks like I have spots. She cut it too short in the front so now I'm going to have to get it shorter in the back. Since it took 3 hours, I didn't go get a pedicure. :(

Sunday, H had no motivation to do anything (probably because he was up until 3 Friday night and past midnight Saturday night) so I finally got fed up just sitting around when there was stuff to be done and started to leave. Then he jumped up and came with us. He wasn't ready to go mow and finish repairs at his house until 5. He didn't get home until 10.

Yesterday, he had another golf tournament. He left at 7 and then afterwards went back to his house to get the rest of his stuff out and didn't get home until 7. I spent the first 3 hours of the day crying because I told him I needed time to get out, too and he said, "You get out." Since PG was born, I've gone to a baseball game and was home by 9, got my hair done twice (once I took PG with me), and went to a friend's house once after the kids were asleep. Mouse has been so challenging lately and suddenly wanting me constantly. I literally sat and stared out the back door crying, I couldn't even look at my babies. 

When he finally got home he said he wouldn't go anywhere alone for a while. I explained that it's not the fact that he goes out alone, it's that I feel like I can't. I told him if he'd wants to go do something, he needs to because I don't want him there if he'd rather be somewhere else. He said he realizes that it's not fair that he spends entire days out golfing leaving me home with the kids and that he will have to suck it up and be a parent so I can get out and get some time for myself. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2017

@DrillSergeantCat, I'm sorry to hear you were so upset over the weekend.  I'm glad your H sees the problem and hopefully he will abide by his words and step up more.  Just from reading your posts, you sound so overwhelmed and my heart goes out to you. 

My weekend was pretty mellow.  I just really luxuriated in having the extra day off.  I did some grocery shopping on Saturday.

Yesterday, we trimmed the dog.  We take her to a groomers about 2x/year to have a really good job done.  But, the rest of the year, we DIY it.

I also wasted a lot of time watching the Scrubs marathon, lol.  But I also used that time to go through a mountain of paperwork that needed to be looked through and filed.

My cousin texted me that she is going to a baby shower in Houston toward the end of June and asked if she and her H could visit and crash at our house on the way there.  They live in northern FL.  They are so much fun and such sweet people, we're really looking forward to seeing them again.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So much sun this weekend!

Friday night M decided he was going fishing with some buddies on Saturday. Which meant he'd be up at like 5am {fyi - he's hard to get up at 7:15am during the week lol} I had plans on Saturday, so I had to use my phone to set an alarm.

Saturday morning I almost killed him. He opted to not text me to say he hadn't fed the cats because he thought "that would wake me up" {uhm ... he has zero idea on the settings on my phone}
    INSTEAD HE DECIDED TO COME UP AND PHYSICALLY WAKE ME
    Needless to say, at 5:30am being woken up nearly got him murdered.

Went back to sleep for a couple hrs, but woke up early. So cleaned then ended up meeting my friend at her bus stop before heading out.

Got lost - per usual with us lmao - but went to the Feline Cafe. Vegan and Gluten free, so a little pricey. Unfortunately portion sizing wasn't to the price point, so after we hung out with the cats my friends wanted to grab something else to snack on.

Ended up going to the famer's market. Got jams - 4/$20! Strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, rhubarb and raspberry. We all decided that if we were going to buy anything, we made sure it was as local as possible.

We joked we were hipsters that day. Area is very "hipster-ish" - we had vegan food, then gelato and wandered a famers market, making sure we bought local. LMFAO!
    I haven't tried the jam, but it looks so much better than store bought!

I ended up getting heat rash on the way home because I stopped at dollarama and bought a lot more than expected. The bins I picked up were rubbing against my shirt, which rubbed against my skin and since it was so hot it was sore. Got home, changed shirt, put a cool cloth on my skin and it definitely helped.

That night M, friends and I went to the Rib Fest near us. I just got a poutine, but M and I decided to go back the next day since people didn't wanna stick around.

Sunday - went to iKea, got in an argument over shelves and went to get food at Rib Fest. I shouldn't have gotten the ribs, they didn't settle and I was uncomfortable all night.

Monday - not much. M and I have been discussing getting things done around the house and I think painting kitchen and the outlets in the basement are getting done soon. Maybe his workbench.

Tonight I think we're going top karting with M's work. I'm excited and nervous - excited cuz I wanna do it, nervous because new people! :\

Saturday morning I almost killed him. He opted to not text me to say he hadn't fed the cats because he thought "that would wake me up" {uhm ... he has zero idea on the settings on my phone}

I believe this is grounds for a justifiable homicide, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2017
    I hit a mental wall, hard, yesterday. I had a performer be an absolute hosebeast to me, for the 2nd year in a row.  Basically, they said that we were disorganized last year, we were this year, and no they wouldn't take the offered spot to play.  I had to bite my tongue so hard and pointed out, in repeated messages in this conversation, that an automated e-mail was sent to them immediately after their application was received, on MARCH EFFIN' 27, telling them deadlines.  The e-mail was not returned and was sent to the e-mail address i was corresponding with right then.  Obviously performer didn't read the damn e-mail; that is a failure on their part, not mine.  

Last year same performer was pissed and refused to apply to play b/c the sets are 30-45" long.  Sets still are this year.  People at a festival don't sit to listen to a band for more than an hour and they certainly don't sit to listen to a band they don't like/know for an hour and a half (how long this performer wants).  I need a high turnover of entertainment to keep butts in seats, so that sponsors/bands get the exposure they're paying (or doing for free) for.  The only performer that gets that kind of play time is the headliner that we're paying for.

Then the performer went in on how they needed time to promote their event.  [Mentally:  Effer, please, you have 70 LIKES on your FB page, the lowest of any main stage performer and your band has been around 4 years?  You don't promote right].  Um, this is MY event, I have the advertising/promotion budget, you can promote if you like, but I have 5K likes to your 70, my dollars are more effective.  I promote...not you.

There was more, but I'm just vomiting words now.  I managed to stay professional-ish; I'm still pretty pissed though.  My co-chair and I are creating a "here's how to do Pride" notebook.  There is a blacklist page in that notebook.  That performer just made it onto the blacklist.

So this weekend, I mostly slept and tried to get myself mentally right.  I had to go to the pageant on Sunday for the new Pride court and it was 6 and a half hours long.  AAAAAAHHHHHHHH.  Don't nobody like drag that much (and no, that's not normal, they overbooked special entertainment and the judges took too damn long).  K performed and fell in her skates, but she pulled it out.  I was so tired by the end.
  • @6fsn  yay for getting recognized for a good job! :)

@sparklepants41  urg awkward!! I would have just pretended my phone rang and had to go lmao

@kimmiinthemitten  that sounds awful for your side :( That sounds like the issue WonderWife had - maybe not as bad but reminds me of the story posted.
    Yay for Nugget recognizing you though! :D

@DrillSergeantCat  sorry to hear about your weekend :( At least it's a step in the right direction! You sound really overwhelmed with everything right now too *hugs*

I believe this is grounds for a justifiable homicide, lol.

Urg right!?
    I asked later why he didn't text me, he said he didn't want to wake me.
    I gave him this face

And it wasn't until then that he realized the error of his ways ....
  • Weekend was good. Busy, but great. Saturday was a party at my sister's where I pretty much stolen the goddaughter the majority of the time. My family is a little sensitive to the fact that her MIL lives a mile away, is around all the time, and helps out a lot. I love her MIL and she's always been great to me, but it's a weird dynamic. Nothing like @kimmiinthemitten, but things are weird when there are babies involved. 

Sunday was FIL's surprise retirement party; he was totally surprised, the food was amazing, and after we had a bonfire at H's brothers. All around a great weekend. Making it all the clearer we want to be back home. 

More re dental work today. Two cavities and a second crown. Thank gods for insurance (which I'm pretty sure I maxed out today). I'm recouping with some Gilmore Girls. 
  • Weekend was pretty low key.

Saturday I took Chiquita to her BFF's house for a play date.   The mom and I are friendly so we chatted for the couple hours while the kids played.   I got home to see Chiquito up and DH grumpy trying to nap on the couch.   Turns out that DH was trying to work on his car and Chiquito surprised us by taking the shortest nap in forever.   Instead of having a good 2.5 hours of uninterrupted time, he had about 45 minutes.   Dude got so grumpy he kicked some plastic bins we had out for winter clothing storage and plastic came off. 

Later, DH went back into the garage and worked on the car.   I ate with the kids and put them to bed.   DH didn't finish until about 10:30 so I drank wine and watched a movie on the couch.   Turns out that his car (a late 2000s Outback) has had a family of mice living in it.   Mom and babies made a nest UNDER the backseat.   He could hear them in the roof!   They chewed through wires rendering the ABS useless and did some damage to the HVAC too.   There were at least 1000 acorns in there too.   I can't blame the dude for being grumpy.

Sunday we hung out at my IL's campground with the kids.   We had a decent time and ended the night in front of a fire toasting marshmallows.  

Monday was a soaker.   We didn't leave the house and Chiquita stayed in jammies all day.  DH finished working on the car at least. 

I am optimistic that this weekend actually feels more like summer.   I want to walk on the local boardwalk with a soft serve and not freeze. 
  • I finally got up and into the office.  I haven't touched my work purse all weekend and H was in Florida with me.  There are three empty Kit Kat wrappers in my purse.  I hate kit kats so it wasn't me!  WTF?
  • This weekend was pretty chill. Saturday and Sunday I worked on writing a paper. SO went out with friends on Saturday night and ended up staying the night there, so Kitten and I got to watch whatever we wanted on Netflix and sleep with only two pillows instead of 1000. 

Monday we had a BBQ with the new BBQ and it went well. I kind of regret not buying another filet from the store. They were only $12.99 a pound. Today I'm going on a hike, and then studying for a test tomorrow. 

• Friend and I spent allll day (a good 8 hours) booking our Greece trip today. We fucked up by not booking earlier. Rates were all up, hotels we wanted to stay at were full. But whatevs, it is done now. (Except our Athens airbnb because the airbnb website won't let me update my CC. Their customer service is completely worthless, supposedly their IT is working on it. *eyeroll* )

@6fsn I am glad the Nice team walloped the Mean team. 

@DrillSergeantCat I wish I could babysit for you. ((Hugs))
  • Vent

Ugh, AirBnB is the absolute worst. I am sure they are fine if you have no issues but godforbid you need help for ANY fucking reason. There is no way to contact customer service other than to send a message that they will "respond to within 24 hours". (A lot of good that did me last year when the host cancelled my reservation 11 hours before I as supposed to arrive, less than 8 before I was supposed to get on a plane.) I got off the phone with this lady over 3 hours ago, she said she would "get right back" with me via their chat feature that we had been communicating through. Haven't heard back since, not a "we are working on it", not a "we're looking at it, and will get back to you tomorrow", nothing. I tried opening a new chat in hopes of talking to someone else, they closed my "case" without response. 
    /vent

really I am just bummed because the hotels are so expensive and renting through Airbnb would have saved us a lot of money.

• Vent

Ugh, AirBnB is the absolute worst. I am sure they are fine if you have no issues but godforbid you need help for ANY fucking reason. There is no way to contact customer service other than to send a message that they will "respond to within 24 hours". (A lot of good that did me last year when the host cancelled my reservation 11 hours before I as supposed to arrive, less than 8 before I was supposed to get on a plane.) I got off the phone with this lady over 3 hours ago, she said she would "get right back" with me via their chat feature that we had been communicating through. Haven't heard back since, not a "we are working on it", not a "we're looking at it, and will get back to you tomorrow", nothing. I tried opening a new chat in hopes of talking to someone else, they closed my "case" without response. 
    /vent

really I am just bummed because the hotels are so expensive and renting through Airbnb would have saved us a lot of money.

I 100% concur!  For as big a website as they have become, it is mind-boggling why their customer service response time is so sub-par.

Like what happened to you, they are in a business where there can easily be last minute emergencies.  And they need people available for both hosts and visitors.

@missJeanLouise, I remember that story!  I've only used AirBnB as a guest once and had something similar happen to me.  The host just cancelled because they were flaky, clueless, or both.  Although I at least had a good bit more time than you did to find different accommodations.  In that case, I (thankfully) didn't need to get in touch with customer service.  I just booked another place and they automatically gave me up to a 10% off credit for another booking.

I needed to get in touch with customer service once, as a hostess.  I had accidentally set up my listing as a "Book Now", while I was still fiddling with what dates I had available with what prices.  Sure enough, someone "booked now" for dates/prices that were not correct.  I immediately cancelled the reservation and sent an apology.  All of this happened within 5 minutes, so the guest was not even inconvenienced.  But then, once I fixed and corrected my listing, I could not make it "go live" for those dates.  Because it was still showing as being reserved.  Even though the reservation was cancelled and I could see it was cancelled.

I waited until the next morning to see if it just needed time to sort itself out.  Nope.  At that point, I sent AirBnB an e-mail about the problem.  They NEVER go back to me!  After two days, I was finally able to make those dates live.  So it did finally sort itself out.  No thanks to them.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2017
    Well, I found the exact same listing through BookingDotcom for the same price as airbnb and successfully able to reserve the apartment. Their booking policies still seem sketchy to me though, but that might be a cultural difference. I don't feel like I actually have a reservation until I have at least paid a deposit but several of the hotels we booked don't require them. BookingDotCom's customer service helper is obviously a bot but it at least it responds to me, lol.

edited to remove extra words
  • Had company for the weekend - Indy 500 here. Luckily the weather held and was great until right after the race was over. Everyone got back to our house about 30 minutes before the rains hit. We had a fun weekend of visiting and eating! It is so quiet now that everyone is gone!

H and I are headed to his college reunion this weekend. Not super excited about it but he has gone to my reunions so I'll be at his! I hope to get a little bit of time to myself so that I can do my Italian homework and work on FDIL's Christmas stocking.

• I finally got up and into the office.  I haven't touched my work purse all weekend and H was in Florida with me.  There are three empty Kit Kat wrappers in my purse.  I hate kit kats so it wasn't me!  WTF?

Maybe Truman and Kennedy did it?