Wedding Woes

Monday!

How was the weekend?

Ours was a mixed bag. 

Friday, we went shopping and picked up Chinese take-out for dinner. 

Saturday, we woke up and got ready to go to BIL/SIL's for their house-warming.  We noticed DefConn's face looked a little red and he said it was itchy.  After his shower, we saw that it was definitely splotchy.  But he wasn't running a fever.  So off to Cincy we went.  SIL told me that I'm going to be an aunt..AGAIN!  :D  I'm so freaking stoked.  They are going to find out this time too.  The party was super fun and BIL cooked amazing BBQ.  We played some CAH until late and had a great time. 

Sunday, we woke up and helped clean up from the party.  DefConn's face looked worse.  :(  Once we got home, I took him to medcheck.  He got a steroid shot and that was an ordeal.  I ran to get his prescription for a strong antihistamine and few odds and ends from the store.  The rest of the night was just hanging out and relaxing. 

DefConn's home today and his face still looks a little rough.   But he's hanging in there.  ;) 

Re: Monday!

• WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2017
    Glad your son is feeling better.  And congratulations on being an Aunt again!!  So much more fun than parenting, IMHO.  

ETA - TK ate part of my post!! What??

Today is a holiday, so I think we might go see a movie and try to catch up.  DH goes back to work tomorrow, but I'm off for the rest of August, so I'll be starting to deep clean and organize the house I think.  

• Ohh poor DefConn. Here's to a speedy recovery. congratulations on becoming an auntie again!!

@WinstonsGirl what movie are you going to see??

SSDD it seems over here. DH just finished fixing the sink after a dropped a bit of the plug down it while I was trying to clean the stopper. Twice. Oops. I scrubbed the house today because A. It needed it and B. We are interviewing a lady to house/dog sit while we are both away. It is crazy the things I took for granted in the states, like college kids being broke and earning some bucks while surfing our internet sounding like a great deal. I can't even find a professional house sitting service that would also take care of the dog. The closest and most recommended is a FB group of pet sitters sooo we'll see how it goes. Worst case scenario, we'll board the dog at the vet and my plants will die.

• MrsConn - Yay for more baby snuggles and hope DefConn continues to improve.  Any idea what caused his reaction?

Weekend was good, but too quick!  Saturday I ended up going to work in the morning instead of yoga.  The extra 4 hours of pay will help buy some diapers though!  We also got church in and I made buttermilk fried chicken for dinner.  It is one of Hs favorites!

Sunday was the baby shower for my friend out in Hershey, PA.  It is so gorgeous out there!  Its about a 2 hour drive there and back, so my BFF and I were in the car longer than we were at the shower itself!  But it was very cute and the best part was that I just got to enjoy it and not help out!  So many of the showers I've attended over the years have had me as a hostess or co-hostess!  By the time I got home, DD was in fussy mode.  She basically clung to me.  She really needed to sleep, but wouldn't.  I got her to sleep on my chest for a while, but as soon as I said something to H, she woke up :(  So she was just really cranky for the remainder of the day.  I think she might be getting a tooth, her gums aren't looking as smooth as usual.

Today will be making up for all the stuff I missed over the weekend.  Hopefully, I can start my sister's wreath.  I need to try and fit some yoga in because I missed my normal Saturday morning and I can feel the difference already!

• MrsConn - Yay for more baby snuggles and hope DefConn continues to improve.  Any idea what caused his reaction?

We talked about poison ivy, but we don't know where he could have gotten into it since we don't seem to have any on our property.  There's also no oozing or anything.  Poor guy has it all over his face and around his eyes.  Thankfully not in his eyes, but still he's so puffy and itchy.  The other issue is that he's got a ton of mosquito bites, so the doctor was playing "rash or bug bite" game.  LOL  But he's acting mostly normal and no fevers or anything.  So hopefully with the antihistamines and steroid shot, he'll be looking better soon. 
  • @missJeanLouise Either Spiderman or Planet of the Apes.  We need to see Dunkirk as well, but since it came out later, we figure there's still a little time

@kimmiinthemitten What is 3 Day?  I'm going to assume something for Breast cancer research, but I've never heard of it.  Great work though!!  That's an awesome photo

• @winstonsgirl it's a 3 day/60 mile walk for Susan G Komen. Participants have to raise $2,300 and you walk approximately 20 miles a day (our route ended up being 57.1 miles but once you add in walking around camp, we probably did 75 miles!).  Most participants camp out as well. 85% of proceeds for Komen local fundraisers (like this and their 5ks) remain locally and support local research, and provide scholarships for people who can't afford testing or treatment. 
  • @winstonsgirl it's a 3 day/60 mile walk for Susan G Komen. Participants have to raise $2,300 and you walk approximately 20 miles a day (our route ended up being 57.1 miles but once you add in walking around camp, we probably did 75 miles!).  Most participants camp out as well. 85% of proceeds for Komen local fundraisers (like this and their 5ks) remain locally and support local research, and provide scholarships for people who can't afford testing or treatment. 
    Wow, that's a long way in 3 days.  Congratulations on accomplishing that.  It's something to be proud of.  Thanks for the information!!

• @winstonsgirl thanks!  It's always been a big deal in Michigan so I forget they don't do it in every state!  Our walk is actually at risk...which is crazy!  We had 410 walkers, which I thought was amazing but the largest Michigan walk had close to 2,000. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2017
    @kimmiinthemitten - way to go!  My sister did that race a few years ago, I think she slept for days after.

I worked all weekend.  I'm suppose to do a member hike today.  It's cool and damp.  80% chance of rain.   Was kind of hoping the only 2 hikers cancelled on their own.     I would love a full day off.   I really need to clean.  Like deep cleaning.   Funny how the more you are away from home the messier the house becomes.    When I worked from home the place was pretty clean. 

Niece leaves on Thursday.  Then back to being empty nesters.

My mom is in the hospital, again.   4th time this year.   This time it was diverticulitis.     2nd attack in 2 months.   She is getting better, but might have to have surgery once things calm down.     I asked dad about her diet, fiber, etc.   He proceeded to tell me the Mayo Clinic just changed the website to say diet is unclear.  

Confused because DH has diverticulitis, I went to the site myself.     Well first, EVERY risk factor refers to my mom. EVERY SINGLE ONE.   2nd, in regards to diet it says 
    • Diet high in animal fat and low in fiber, although the role of low fiber alone isn't clear.
    Notice there is a small disclaimer about low fiber, not diet in general.  Her entire diet is animal fat.

Plus she is way overweight, which is another risk factor.  So in theory a better diet would lower her weight, which would help also.  

It's just so irritating that she finds some small disclaimer and decides since it's all unclear she isn't going to worry about it.   How hard is it to try a better diet to see if it actually DOES make a difference?  

Note: there is some research that GF diet may help reduce symptoms of RA.  She read that it didn't help this one person, so she decided she should't try.     I just do not understand this line of thinking.   If I was in as much pain as she is I would be at least try  to see.  30 days GF. If it doesn't work, no big deal.  If it does than great.    

We clearly have different views and I need to stop projecting my feelings on her, but it's hard.

ETA - hike cancelled !   Now to get the motivation to clean.  It's finally a rainy day and all I want to do is hang on the sofa.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten congrats on finishing, that is awesome! I've run marathons and a couple of ultramarathons but yours sounds way worse!

@lyndausvi I have the same mindset as you. My mom also needs to make some changes but refuses to. My H is the kind who reads 1 comment somewhere and takes it as the gospel - so if one person says XYZ product didn't work he is 100% against it even if 5,000 other people say it is great. Or if 1 person says ABC is great and 5000 say it is bad, he will go with that 1 who says it is great without doing any other research. Drives me crazy.
  • @kimmiinthemitten congrats on finishing, that is awesome! I've run marathons and a couple of ultramarathons but yours sounds way worse!

@lyndausvi I have the same mindset as you. My mom also needs to make some changes but refuses to. My H is the kind who reads 1 comment somewhere and takes it as the gospel - so if one person says XYZ product didn't work he is 100% against it even if 5,000 other people say it is great. Or if 1 person says ABC is great and 5000 say it is bad, he will go with that 1 who says it is great without doing any other research. Drives me crazy.
    YES!   It's so damn frustrating!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten, That's amazing!  I'm glad you made it through and found it to be such a rewarding experience.  I'll admit, I couldn't walk/run 60 miles in 3 days.

Frickety-frickety, frickety-frickety frick.  Okay.  Now that I got that out of my system, lol.  Here I thought and was excited that my job was looking pretty solid after so much tumult and worry last year.  AND things are right back to looking dicey.  Sigh.  Knock on wood.  I don't think there is cause for major alarm yet.  But I've started "cherry picking" applying for especially good job listings.

I've been having weird stuff going on and would appreciate any input/thoughts some of you might have.  I've been running "hotter" than normal for about the last month.  At least it seems like that.  There has been twice over the last week I haven't been able to sleep for hours because I was too hot.

One coincidence with that, I had a couple glasses of red wine a few hours before I went to bed on both of those evenings.  My H suggested I might be sensitive to the tannins in red wine.  But, when I googled, it seemed like a headache within 15-30 minutes of drinking red wine was much more indicative of that.

However, I'm also just running hot.  Usually at night when I'm sleeping.  But it also happens if I do the slightest exercise.  Like just walking.  I've also been doing a lot of copying at work and I get really hot and sweaty doing that.

I'm 43, so it also occurred to me I might be starting to go through menopause.  Boy.  It was really depressing even entering that google term, lol.  But the heat I feel is not like what was described as a "hot flash".  Really, the only symptoms I matched with was night sweats and increased levels of anxiety.  However, there are reasons for my increased levels of anxiety, I'm not just randomly feeling that way.

As many of you know, I also live where it is hot AF right now, lol.  But I'm indoors and in a/c most of the time. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kimmi - Way to go on finishing!  You have earned your rest!

Sparkle - I forgot to wish you well on your new life AT HOME with baby Sparkle!  Wishing you sleep filled nights and normalized hormones! LOL!

Lynda - Yay for a day off!  So frustrating for your mom.  Can you do any, well DH had diverticulitis and X, Y, and Z help him?  Have you tried it? 

Not the same, but H keeps complaining about his weight.  So I've tried to tell him that since diabetes already runs in his family, he should eat a hypoglycemic diet (like I do) to try and help.  He never follows through.  I've started to buy him more protein snacks he can have at the office, to hopefully help.  He also eats those stupid meal replacement bars, which I don't think work for him.  I don't think he gets enough calories per day, so his body is hoarding them.  Which is why he needs to be on a hypoglycemic diet!  And repeat the cycle.

• S+S - Have you peed on a stick to rule out pregnancy?  I also "ran hot" during pregnancy.  Since I've stopped pumping, I'm just now starting to normal out, temperature wise.  Otherwise, to me, it would seem like menopause is setting in.  Maybe thyroid issues?
  • Kimmi - Way to go on finishing!  You have earned your rest!

Sparkle - I forgot to wish you well on your new life AT HOME with baby Sparkle!  Wishing you sleep filled nights and normalized hormones! LOL!

Lynda - Yay for a day off!  So frustrating for your mom.  Can you do any, well DH had diverticulitis and X, Y, and Z help him?  Have you tried it? 

Not the same, but H keeps complaining about his weight.  So I've tried to tell him that since diabetes already runs in his family, he should eat a hypoglycemic diet (like I do) to try and help.  He never follows through.  I've started to buy him more protein snacks he can have at the office, to hopefully help.  He also eats those stupid meal replacement bars, which I don't think work for him.  I don't think he gets enough calories per day, so his body is hoarding them.  Which is why he needs to be on a hypoglycemic diet!  And repeat the cycle.

We have, but it's gone on deaf ears.   She either has the dumbest doctors in the world or she is in denial.   Considering she has lived in a few different states and seen different doctors the common denominator is her. I'm guessing she hears what she wants to hear.

Which is just like her own mother.  G'ma was so bad I had to go into the room with the doctor and report back to my aunts what was really said, not what g'ma thought he said. Which was different of course.  This was before HIPAA. G'ma couldn't drive, so one of us always had to take her.   

• S+S - Have you peed on a stick to rule out pregnancy?  I also "ran hot" during pregnancy.  Since I've stopped pumping, I'm just now starting to normal out, temperature wise.  Otherwise, to me, it would seem like menopause is setting in.  Maybe thyroid issues?

My period started a couple days ago, so not pregnant.  But interesting!  That wasn't something I'd thought of.  I do have a really low thyroid, but I've had that for years and it's never seemed to affect my internal temperature.  In fact, I think a symptom of low thyroid is feeling colder than the average person. 

Perhaps, in the reverse, feeling hotter than the average person is a symptom of a high thyroid.  But my thyroid dose hasn't changed in a long time, so I wouldn't think it is too high a dose. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Kimmi- that is FANTASTIC!!!  Congrats. 

Weekend was fine. Cookout with dh's friends. 50th anniversary Mass and breakfast with my parents.  80% finished with the slideshow for their anniversary party. I still need to make up the newlywed game, but have 7 of 8 questions  I just need some cards to write answers on. 

I spent the morning stocking the fridge/freezer- mashed potatoes, carrot bread, Lara bars, peanut butter bars. Tomorrow muffins and cinnamon rolls. 

3:30 We see the ortho for 6lets arm. I'm praying he's allowed to play soccer. M2 has a soccer clinic at the stadium tonight. That could be interesting. 
  • I'm addicted to Escaping Polygamy.     I can't even believe the way these poor girls have had to live.

• @short+sassy can't your thyroid levels change without notice even while being treated?

@lyndausvi Sorry to hear about your mom, that's exactly how my dad is too and it is soo frustrating!  
  • LMAO.  Today is just a weird day today. I have customers and sales people calling me and bugging me ALL DAY. Been so busy.

I said to myself "is today a full moon?  what is going on with these people?"  yup.  today IS a full moon. 

And since I'm Canadian, should I even be working?!?  Why won't my American company honor my Canadian heritage?

• @mrsconn23, congrats on the baby front! woo!
    @Kimmiinthemitten, so glad you were able to experience that!  You seriously ROCK.  I went to watch one of my friends run a half, and hung out at the finish line.  I was crying as everyone crossed the line.  I'm a sappy weepy baby.  If I go - I'll do mid track. LOL
    @sparklepants, was the giraffe toy Sophie the giraffe? All parents swear by Sophie.

• @short+sassy, it could be peri-menopause. I started having night sweats and hot flashes 10+ years before menopause. My doctor told me that was pretty common. I was 40ish at the time. It didn't stay constant though. It would go away for awhile then come back. Getting your thyroid checked would be a good idea too.
  • @kimmiinthemitten, I've never had my thyroid test too high, lol.  But anything is possible.  Glands can be strange beasties.

@ILoveBeachMusic, thanks!  I've never heard of peri-menopause, but I will do some research.  I appreciate you said it started 10ish years before menopause because, while I realize some women have early onset menopause, it is by definition not the average so I felt like that was unlikely.  If that is what is going on, I also appreciate that it will come and go and not be constantly like this for years, lol.

My next doctor's appointment is in October.  They always check my thyroid levels ahead of time anyway, but I will mention the night sweats.  Even if they've stopped by then.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2017
    I've been pre-menopausal for a few years now.  I get hot flashes from time to time.  I do take Vit E, Black Cohosh which helps a lot.  My periods just suck.   Show up when they want, heavy when they do.   So annoying.

Being a woman can suck sometimes.  

• Today and this weekend have been surreal news days for me.  It POURED rain on Sat.  There were 8-9" of rain over 3 hours in my direct area.  My H and laughed that the water in our backyard was ankle deep.  But our house is raised 3' off the ground so NBD.

Then, on Sunday, I got a phone call from my mom and a text from a friend in VA frantically asking if I was okay.  Because "all the flooding in NOLA".  I'm lazy on the weekends and don't look at the news.  I'm like, "Huh?  What flooding?"  So I go to our local news website and see crazy pictures of cars with floodwaters past the headlights.  People wading through waist deep water.  And some this going on really near me!  about 1/2-1 mile away.  Well...I'll be darned.  I'm feeling pretty clueless all this devastation was going on around me and I had no idea.

My house is on a ridge and its very intriguing.  The ridge is higher than the area around it, but that is only relatively speaking.  You could never tell the difference walking or riding a bike.  But water can sure tell the difference!!!  I didn't own this house during Katrina, but it didn't flood then either.  Though the surrounding neighborhoods very much did.

((Knock on wood)) but I am yet again so thankful I bought the house I did.  For a lot of reasons, but today I'm thankful to not be spending my day going through soggy belongings and assessing damage.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:
    I've been pre-menopausal for a few years now.  I get hot flashes from time to time.  I do take Vit E, Black Cohosh which helps a lot.  My periods just suck.   Show up when they want, heavy when they do.   So annoying.

Being a woman can suck sometimes.  

Yes, yes it does suck sometimes, lol.  Thanks for the tips on vitamins to take.  I'm on the pill and the kind I take continuously for three months and then stop for one week.  So my periods still only come during that one week 4x/year.  They're pretty light, but I think I can also thank the pill for that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23, congrats on the baby front! woo!
    @Kimmiinthemitten, so glad you were able to experience that!  You seriously ROCK.  I went to watch one of my friends run a half, and hung out at the finish line.  I was crying as everyone crossed the line.  I'm a sappy weepy baby.  If I go - I'll do mid track. LOL
    @sparklepants, was the giraffe toy Sophie the giraffe? All parents swear by Sophie.
    No - we have the Jonathan Adler rock & play and for some reason it comes with this abstract giraffe toy.