Wedding Woes

Monday.

2»

Re: Monday.

• Congrats on the venue @OurWildKingdom; is the date this fall? (I may be completely remembering that wrong). Do you have pics?
  • edited August 2017
    @winstonsgirl that looks awesome!!  What kid wouldn't love that classroom?
  • edited August 2017
    @WinstonsGirl , I have total classroom envy!  LOVE IT!

@kimmiinthemitten , it really is frustrating.  We're damned if we do, damned if we don't.  I saw local news attempt to rescue a family with their 103 year old grandmother.  They could not move her and her children / grandchildren wanted to stay and care for her.  Many people don't realize that this isn't a cut & dry decision.

I just found out that the church where we got married (I grew up there & was active there for 8 years as an adult) has been flooded catastrophically.  My heart is breaking.

I almost feel guilty for being in such good shape.  I realize I have nothing to be guilty for ... it's almost like survivor's remorse, you know?  I just hope the streets clear up soon so I can get out there and help out.  It seems every time I check facebook, I see a post from a friend saying they had to evacuate.
  • Thanks ladies.  I'm sure the kids will love it.  I just need them to stay engaged in it.  

• @WinstonsGirl , I have total classroom envy!  LOVE IT!

@kimmiinthemitten , it really is frustrating.  We're damned if we do, damned if we don't.  I saw local news attempt to rescue a family with their 103 year old grandmother.  They could not move her and her children / grandchildren wanted to stay and care for her.  Many people don't realize that this isn't a cut & dry decision.

I just found out that the church where we got married (I grew up there & was active there for 8 years as an adult) has been flooded catastrophically.  My heart is breaking.

I almost feel guilty for being in such good shape.  I realize I have nothing to be guilty for ... it's almost like survivor's remorse, you know?  I just hope the streets clear up soon so I can get out there and help out.  It seems every time I check facebook, I see a post from a friend saying they had to evacuate.
    It's been terrible to watch from afar, so I can't imagine what you're going through. I saw pictures of stranded puppies and donated to a bunch of animal shelters there, it's just heart breaking. There are no good choices in disasters, only less bad ones. Here's hoping all your friends and family are safe. 
  • They have a sound system if we want to use it (they host open mic and jam nights), so I may copy the music from my phone to one of our computers so we can use their sound system, instead of relying on my phone and Bluetooth speakers.
  • So glad all you Harvey hit ladies are ok. It's been really heartbreaking to see images and hear stories of people less fortunate. 

I'm actually really disappointed in most of my friends and acquaintances from coastal TX right now. Most of them (including many of my ILs) are barely affected by this. Honestly, the worst off of the bunch have the week off work and are just hanging out at home (with power). Quelle horreur! They've all been posting pictures of themselves "puddle stomping #lovemyhunterboots" and "ready for the storm (photo wearing a snorkeling mask)" and "being bad (sticking a toe in a completely flooded street)" and "ugh! everything is closed! (sad face outside chinese restaurant)"

It's honestly so fucking gross I can't even. Like, if you're alive and your shit isn't completely ruined and damaged, STFU. Mark yourself as safe and do not post to social media. People are dying and displaced and desperate. It seems so insensitive to post pictures about faux struggle. 
    *********************************************************************************

• congrats @ourwildkingdom, that place looks great! one of our friends got married in an art studio here in Chicago, it was an amazing wedding and the ceremony was beautiful.  GL with the planning!

• It's honestly so fucking gross I can't even. Like, if you're alive and your shit isn't completely ruined and damaged, STFU. Mark yourself as safe and do not post to social media. People are dying and displaced and desperate. It seems so insensitive to post pictures about faux struggle. 
    I've been posting updates  - but along the lines of "we're incredibly lucky not to have more damage/flooding in our neighborhood (including pics or video) - we have a lot of friends who have lost a lot/have had significant damage - please help in any way you are able." We've only lived in TX for 7 years so we have a lot of friends and family out of state, and are getting a lot of calls/texts/e-mails about how we're doing. I can understand posting about how you're doing even if you haven't lost everything, but at the same time, there's a tasteful way of doing things.
  • edited August 2017
    *Barbie* said:

It's honestly so fucking gross I can't even. Like, if you're alive and your shit isn't completely ruined and damaged, STFU. Mark yourself as safe and do not post to social media. People are dying and displaced and desperate. It seems so insensitive to post pictures about faux struggle. 
    I've been posting updates  - but along the lines of "we're incredibly lucky not to have more damage/flooding in our neighborhood (including pics or video) - we have a lot of friends who have lost a lot/have had significant damage - please help in any way you are able." We've only lived in TX for 7 years so we have a lot of friends and family out of state, and are getting a lot of calls/texts/e-mails about how we're doing. I can understand posting about how you're doing even if you haven't lost everything, but at the same time, there's a tasteful way of doing things.
    Likewise.  I've been posting a daily diary of sorts on Instagram pointing out the conditions where I am to reassure out of towners that we are okay.  I have seen some a friends posting pics of their kids splashing around.  That doesn't bother me because it's a way to keep their spirits up and not scare them unnecessarily.  I did see a video of a guy in a monster truck pulling their kids behind them in a tube.  THAT pissed me off.  So many people are waiting for boats or helicopters to rescue them.  That monster truck should've been put to good use. 
  • I'm actually experiencing a bit of survivor's guilt. There are so many things we want to do to help, but they're telling everyone to stay off the roads.  There's a church near us with a shelter & they're allowing pets.  I saw on Facebook that they need kennels, so we ventured out there and safely were able to help.  It's something, but I want to do more.  I'm sure once it's safe we'll be out there.

On a lighter note, here's a video of a rescue that brought me a chuckle ....

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1977081292529258&id=100006822186731