Wedding Woes

Whatever day today is

Hi all, I feel like I've been lurking this week but never enough time for updates!

Weekend was good, we were so busy and had a ton of fun all weekend.  Hubs is back to work as of yesterday.  He annoys me when he disturbs my morning quiet, but I miss him when he's gone.  He can't win.

Today I have a meeting with the new job (yay!).  And then it's SSDD.

My sis is in the Tampa Bay area and made plans to evacuate to Tallahassee tomorrow.  She's in the CAT-4 evacuation zone but they don't want to wait to see if it slows down or swoops to the East before deciding, which makes sense to me. If it keeps on it's track right now, she'll start to see rain as early as Thursday. Her BFF is not in an evacuation zone but was scheduled to have a C-section tomorrow.  Her Dr advised her to find a hospital north, like in Atlanta and reschedule delivery.  I felt so bad for her, but she successfully found a doctor and a hospital and is now giving birth Friday instead!  Another good friend of hers is a life-long Floridian who at the start of the week was like "we'll be fine," and is now freaking out even though she's in a new construction house and not in an evacuation zone.

@lyndausvi how are your island friends faring?  

Re: Whatever day today is

• Crazy busy day; nonprofit work until 10:30, class, then more nonprofit work. I was supposed to get my license updated but forgot the documents I need. Short weeks always through my schedule off and I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. 
  • @kimmiinthemitten  yay for interview! Yay for your sister's bff finding a new dr, and hopefully everything goes smoothly for her :)

SSDD for me too.
    M's grammy {his mum's mother} is in chemo again. First round was yesterday and she was pretty out of it, but she's a trooper.

Work Goal - get things cleaned and filed so everything is organized since I'm off for 2 days.

Home Goal - have to clean the basement. I do not want to do it tomorrow and it needs to be done by Friday morning.
    *sigh*
  • Morning.

Meh.    My friends in Anguilla are off island because the resort is closed.  So physically they are good.  

However, he got a call yesterday morning saying he more than likely will not have a job after today.   Since the resort is closed most people got off island.  Which is good for them physically.  But no one around to secure the place properly.   Since it's a foreign place he will not have the resources like we have here in the states.    

He at least is good with money (has a small trust fund), so I'm not worried. It sucks for his family.    They were staying in Fl with her mom, but just booked tickets to Vegas.  Taking her mom and daughter to get out of dodge there.

Pictures and video from Anguilla this AM are sad.   Even St Martin.  Total destruction.

USVI friends are just bunkering down at this point.  They hurricane winds are just starting.   All the prep work is done, now it's just sit and wait.  There are curfews in place.   Power has been shut off and for some people cell service also.   Most of my friends have generators so they still have some source of power.

Thanks for asking. It's going to be a long day for all of them today.

On a positive note today is our anniversary.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • DH has to sneak off today from work to get paperwork for the background check process along with other pre-employment stuff from the new gig and do his drug screen.   Luckily, DefConn has an eye doc appt.  I am taking him, but told DH that he can use that as his cover (since we have a paper trail if he's questioned).  

He's really not worried about losing his current job, because they love him and are worried he is looking.  But they are going to fuh-reak when he turns in his notice and he can't do that until the background check clears (and it's a gov't one because the new place supplies parts for a company that builds aircraft for the military).  He doesn't want to show his cards until it's time, of course.  Therefore, more waiting...LOL.  We're so not good at this.  

Anyhoo, I'm about to take off for the aforementioned eye appt.  It's about 50/50 whether I'm going to take him back to school or bring him home.  It depends on how speedy this eye appt is because I'll have to supply him lunch afterward.  And the eye doc is practically next door, whereas his school is across town. 

Other than that, SSDD. 

• Hormones are hitting me hard today.  I just need to go sit in a corner and cry for a bit, over nothing at all.  

Work is a bit overwhelming right now.  Had a massive deadline on 8/28 and I'm still playing catch up on everything that was basically flung to the side while trying to take care of the deadline and all of the follow up work it took.  And I'm getting new clients.  I'm not really happy about that.  I like my job, but the pace of this place is ridiculous and not one I manage well.  I've told the people I need to and my caseload has been steady, but it's still too high.
  • @kvruns  omg what a cutie chunker <3!! Love!

@VarunaTT  <3<3<3<3
  • @sparklepants41  I pm'd you, whenever you're on :)
  • I love when an old flame randomly pops up on my Facebook news feed and I go to his profile (because I'm insanely nosy, not to mention happily married) and scroll through his life and realize just what caliber bullet I actually dodged when he smashed my heart all those years ago.

My favorite is when I find out he went bald. All that glorious hair... *poof*

Other than that, SSDD.
    I think it's cool to be like "yea I wouldn't want that life and don't love the choices this person has made - phew, dodged that bullet."

I don't think it's cool to relish in a socially undesirable physical trait that someone can't control - like baldness. I equate that to finding evil satisfaction in the later appearance of someone with a skin condition (like vitiligo) or a genetic arthritic condition that lands someone in a wheelchair. I mean, really? 
    *********************************************************************************

• Happy anniversary, @lyndausvi !

I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things.  As if Houston traffic doesn't already suck, there are still some road closures diverting traffic to alternate routes, which EVERYONE has to take.  It took DH 90 minutes to get to work when it normally takes 30-45 minutes.  I was fortunate that Google Maps got me through back roads and my drive wasn't that much longer than normal.  But I also left at 6:10 am.

I'm praying so hard for Florida right now.  Just seeing this hurricane news and panic again so soon after Harvey is making me anxious.  Yay Xanax.  If anyone is curious, here's a great weather blog that offers sound, scientific advice that's easy for the average Joe to understand.  https://spacecityweather.com/

• Good luck to your sister, @kimmiinthemitten
    sorry to hear about your friends @lyndausvi
    @misskittydanger, I have had a home goal for the last 2 months now.  I really should do it this weekend or next.  Clean our my garage.  The fall is the time to do it before it gets so cold.  I just don't wanna. 

Our administrative assistant up and left us last night after "working" all day.  So we spent the whole morning discussing that.  Good times.  We have a small close knit office, and we can't find the right fit.

Tonight I have therapy and then home to make some homechef meals. I had some bad test results, so it looks like I will be doing low carb again since I'm good with the 'no sugars' in my life.  But I have to make the two carbiest meals first out of the box before I do that.  Last night I went into my homechef order and deleted any meal over 40 g of carbs per serving. One 41 g meal stayed :)  It really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

• jh715 said:

I've been lurking for a while with only the occasional comment, which is kind of weird, so I'll introduce myself here and join the conversation.

I've been married for 3 years, will have a 2 year old daughter in 10 days (yikes), and we're hoping for another as soon as possible.  We had a loss earlier this year and it kind of threw me for a loop, but I'm feeling ready to get back to trying for baby #2.  I work 0.8 FTE in a pretty mundane office job, my role is health and safety related - so occasionally I get involved in fun stuff, but mostly just a whole lot of paperwork.  I'm Canadian, living in the great white north where we're expecting winter any day now - even though yesterday was +28C.

I have some housework to do, as I dodged all responsibility and played softball all weekend.  My thing is to keep the kitchen clean, DH owns the garage and we share the rest of the mess.  My kitchen isn't a disaster, but everything needs a good wipe down.  The dork (toddler) kept us up last night, which is super rare so I'm feeling the sleep depravation hard today.  She also woke us up at 0530, but at least she's old enough that we can just send her off to the living room to play by herself for a bit.

welcome, @jh715, glad to see you posting.  If it makes you feel any better, the states (midwest anyway!) may be going from summer to winter too.  booo.

I'm OCD about my kitchen too.  I can't stand having dirty dishes in the sink for over 12 hours. I get that sometimes I'll cook dinner/grill out and have a few drinks, and avoid dishes since I'm tipsy, but I will wake up and take that on!

• Hi @jh715  I'm Canadian also :) You'll find a few of us around these boards. Welcome!! {married 2yrs, TTC for baby 1 currently}

@CharmedPam  We've been saying for 2 weeks we have to do the basement because we have timeline lmfao! At this rate the electrician cannot get to any spot M wants the outlets lol
  • mrsconn23 said:
    Apparently, DefConn is damn near blind.  Who knew?  Not me!  

I about died from the cute when he was trying on glasses.  And he cried because I wasn't taking him back home, even though I got him McD's as a consolation prize for having to get glasses AND go back to school after getting hang time with mom.  Goober. 
    Kids with glasses are the cutest ever!  My girl is likely to need them as DH is nearly blind - like so blind even lasers can't correct it, and we've made her try on pairs a few times while we're in for one of our appointments.  Her ophthalmologist indicated that we'll likely need to get her a pair once she's 3 and her eyes have adjusted from being nearsighted like all babies are.
  • It's Wednesday and the week is half over!  Into that downward slide into the weekend!

Last night was good.  H was beat from work, so I told him to leave dinner to me.  We had steak and noodles.  I overcooked my steak a bit, but Hs was perfect at least!  I used up the last of my Penzeys Chicago Steak seasoning, but I already have more on the way (with a Card of Hope purchase for someone from the Houston area - please look into those if you can!).

After dinner, we got a quick walk in with DD, but it was looking like a thunderstorm was coming, so we just did the short block.  She loves being out and watching everything and it gives us a small break on her witching hour because she is so distracted looking at everything else!

Tonight is yoga and then dinner at home.  I REALLY need to start my sister's wreath.  Maybe I will find tonight!

Welcome jh715! 

Lynda & Kimmi - Prayers for your family & friends' safety!

Kvruns - I love those pics!  So cute!  My brother/SIL went to Disney World with their kids this summer and looking at my niece see the world through Disney magic makes me want to take DD pronto! 

• mrsconn23 said:

I about died from the cute when he was trying on glasses.  And he cried because I wasn't taking him back home, even though I got him McD's as a consolation prize for having to get glasses AND go back to school after getting hang time with mom.  Goober. 

Sorry, @mrsconn23, but I agree with DefConn, lol.  I always schedule minor dr. appointments, like dentist and eye, for the afternoon so I can just head home after them.  I may not cry if I were to have to go back to work after an appointment, but I'd be really pouty and on the verge of a tantrum.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:

Sorry, @mrsconn23, but I agree with DefConn, lol.  I always schedule minor dr. appointments, like dentist and eye, for the afternoon so I can just head home after them.  I may not cry if I were to have to go back to work after an appointment, but I'd be really pouty and on the verge of a tantrum.
    I was leaning toward just bringing him home, but his teacher told the secretary to ask me to bring him back since they do math in the afternoon.  I'm just the meanest, I know.  :D 
  • mrsconn23 said:

What kind of glasses did he choose? Kids in glasses are so cute! Friend of mine's son got glasses and they're basically hipster glasses! So cute
  • mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

What kind of glasses did he choose? Kids in glasses are so cute! Friend of mine's son got glasses and they're basically hipster glasses! So cute

What a cutie pie!!!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017
    mrsconn23 said:

That was me, too.  I remember getting my first pair of glasses.  I was freaked out when I saw the leaves on the trees.  I didn't know that everyone else could see the leaves on the trees.  I thought everybody saw a green blur.

Life with good eyesight is precious.  DefConn has a whole new world to discover!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @kimmiinthemitten, yay new job meeting!  Best wishes for your sis with the evacuation.

@MissKittyDanger, I hope chemo goes well for M's grammy.

@lyndausvi, Happy anniversary!  I was thinking about you last night, in regards to Irma.  Thanks for the update on your friends and former coworkers.  I hope the Anguilla friends can find new jobs quickly and USVI friends will be all right.

@kvruns, Such a cute, little chunky monkey!

@VarunaTT, hang in there!  You can only do what you can do.

@holyguacamole79, reading about Hurricane Irma last night just spiraled me down into a depressed place.  It's too much.  It's just too much.  There just aren't enough resources.  Especially if a hurricane devastates another highly populated area, like Miami.  Plus insurance companies get very stingy and start greatly elongating their claims process after major disasters, just to buy themselves more time.  But that also lengthens recovery time.

@jh715, welcome!

Work has been insanely busy for me.  It's nice for a change, but I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why crap has to all fall down on me at once.  Some of it is typical end of month and end of pay period...always super busy for me.  But I always know to expect that.  However, now there is suddenly a big emergency that will take me hours and a previous, shorter one earlier this morning that I took care of.  Why can't stuff like this happen in the middle of the month?  When I'm more apt to be twiddling my thumbs and looking for something to do.  Argh!  Okay, frustration vent over.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2017
    @mrsconn23 DefConn looks so stinkin cute in those glasses! Just like a little man.

@kvruns you seriously have one of the cutest babies. 
  • Awww, what cutie pies, @kvruns and @mrsconn23!

Calm yet productive day at work. 

One of my friends is going in for knee surgery tomorrow. We volunteered (or rather, I volunteered and FW and Housemates went along with it) to dog-sit for her, but instead a friend of hers who lives in the country is going to be dog-sitting. We'll help with walks when they both get home, though.

Sending positive vibes for M's grammy, @MissKittyDanger.

Glad your friends are safe, and congratulations on your anniversary, @lyndausvi.

Has anyone heard from @*Barbie* since her last post? I forgot she's in Houston too. 
  • Awww, what cutie pies, @kvruns and @mrsconn23!

Calm yet productive day at work. 

One of my friends is going in for knee surgery tomorrow. We volunteered (or rather, I volunteered and FW and Housemates went along with it) to dog-sit for her, but instead a friend of hers who lives in the country is going to be dog-sitting. We'll help with walks when they both get home, though.

Sending positive vibes for M's grammy, @MissKittyDanger.

Glad your friends are safe, and congratulations on your anniversary, @lyndausvi.

Has anyone heard from @*Barbie* since her last post? I forgot she's in Houston too. 

She started a post on Sept. 2nd, here on WW, that's titled "Houston Update".  Off the top of my head, she and her family are fine.  Their house did not flood, though part of their fence came down.

For Irma, I just found out one of my cousin's is in an evacuation area (Jupiter).  I've actually only met her once, but still!  Another cousin I know better also lives in FL, but near Gainesville.  So fairly north and more middle, not coastline.  Jupiter cousin and her family are heading to that cousin to hunker down for the storm.  I told Gainesville cousin my door was open for everyone if she got evacuated also.  I couldn't imagine that happening, but it feels like all bets are off when it comes to hurricanes.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker