Attire & Accessories Forum

Preserve or sell wedding dress/accessories??

Has anyone actually sold their wedding dress or accessories after their wedding? I heard about the idea after mentioning that I hate having my dress stored in the back of my closet to never be used again. Part of me is nervous I'll end up regretting it but the other part thinks it would be nice to have a little extra cash and another chance it'll be worn again.

What do some of you recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Preserve or sell wedding dress/accessories??

• I vote to sell it.  I have had my wedding dress stored for 41 years.  When I die, it will probably go in a landfill.  What a waste!
    Another idea is to donate it to charity.  You can get a tax deduction.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If you cannot sell the dress, and it is predominately satin or similar fabrics, you could also donate it to an angel dresses/angel gowns maker near you. Basically they collect wedding dresses to be made into outfits (given for free of course) for babies who were stillborn or passed shortly after birth. It's a really special program, but most people don't know about it. Just something to consider :smile:
  • Has anyone actually sold their wedding dress or accessories after their wedding? I heard about the idea after mentioning that I hate having my dress stored in the back of my closet to never be used again. Part of me is nervous I'll end up regretting it but the other part thinks it would be nice to have a little extra cash and another chance it'll be worn again.

What do some of you recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I got mine preserved and will eventually get mine put into a shadow box. Not cheap but several of my friends have done that and it is a beautiful piece of art in their homes. I’m also of the mindset that if you can make some money, go do it. You can also preserve it and wait a few years. Nothing has to be done right away. If you are having a kid it could always be brought out for dress up. I loved playing in my Mom’s dress. 
  • I had mine preserved and boxed. In hindsight I wish I would have sold it so someone else would have had a chance to get a dress at a reasonable price. Fashion has changed so much it is probably not worth it now.
  • scribe95 said:
    I did neither. I'm terrible. The dress is still hanging in the guest bedroom closet 11 years later. Every time I get it out to have it cleaned etc I balk at the cost.
    Ditto. Except it's been five years, not 11. My MIL put hers on every anniversary for years. H remembers it, so that includes quite a few years post kids! I've sort of been doing the same. I did it the first two years, forgot a couple years, and then last year, I was pregnant! Our anniversary is coming up up, so I'll do it as long as I don't forget.