Attire & Accessories Forum

Cost for a Bustle and To Have a Ribbon Belt Sewn On

Hi! So I have my dress and luckily the only alterations I need done are to potentially have a bustle added and a satin ribbon rhinestone belt sewn onto the waist. (It's the perfect length... Literally the only time in my life it has benefitted me to be tall when it comes to dresses... haha!) I'm looking for some average costs of bustle/belt sewn on. I could tie the belt around my waist but don't like how it looks, so I want it sewn on. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Re: Cost for a Bustle and To Have a Ribbon Belt Sewn On

• The cost of alterations will vary depending on the area in which you live as well as who you hire to do the alterations.  The type of bustle you need, as well as the fabric of your dress will also determine the cost. 

A belt could be as simple as a few basting stitches or it could require the creation of a few belt loops.  Again, cost depends on the width, weight, and style of the belt.

Have you done any bustle research to decide the type you might want?  Did you speak to the alterations department from where you bought your dress?  My daughter had a 9 point bustle, had cups sewn into the bodice, and had some hemming work.  I believe the cost was slightly over $100.  I found the cost shockingly inexpensive for my area.
  • MobKaz said:
    The cost of alterations will vary depending on the area in which you live as well as who you hire to do the alterations.  The type of bustle you need, as well as the fabric of your dress will also determine the cost. 

A belt could be as simple as a few basting stitches or it could require the creation of a few belt loops.  Again, cost depends on the width, weight, and style of the belt.

Have you done any bustle research to decide the type you might want?  Did you speak to the alterations department from where you bought your dress?  My daughter had a 9 point bustle, had cups sewn into the bodice, and had some hemming work.  I believe the cost was slightly over $100.  I found the cost shockingly inexpensive for my area.
    That is shockingly inexpensive for Chicago-area! DD's were around $400 for a 5 point bustle, cups sewn in and some taking in and letting out along torso. No hemming and I thought that was reasonable!
  • I paid just over$200 for cups, a 6 point bustle (3 points on each of two layers), and to take the dress in about 2 inches on each side. The bustle pricing was a set amount for 2 points (maybe $50?) and then a small amount for each one after (maybe $15ish). This is when I cursed buying a two layer dress lol. 
  • I think having the belt sewn on will be anywhere from $15 - $75 depending on the fabric and what is needed, and a bustle could be from $50-$250 depending on the dress, the number of layers, and the type of bustle you want. 
  • Thanks, everyone! This is helpful!
  • I had a hem and bustle and it only cost me $40.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated.