Honeymoon Discussions

Royal Playa del Carmen vs. Secrets Maroma Beach?

Hi, we have been debating so many places around the world for the honeymoon and have now settled on these final two.  Has anyone gone and what are your thoughts?  We are pretty easy-going and are happy to sit on a beach all day, have a tasty meal, maybe a cocktail, and then go to bed.  We had originally booked at the Bucuti in Aruba but after looking at the numbers we have come to the conclusion that it would be cheaper in the long run to go to an all-inclusive resort instead.  (We are hoping that including flights we can stay under 5K.)  TIA for your help!
BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Royal Playa del Carmen vs. Secrets Maroma Beach?

• We are staying at Secrets Maroma for 10 nights and it is costing us about 3700 in total, which includes transfers from the airport and an ocean view suite, as well as airfare and drinks and food (as it is an AI resort). We chose this because FI wanted a more luxurious feel without breaking the bank and it is on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • if you want to be able to walk to other stuff off of the resort-choose royal. i've heard nothign but excellent reviews for all aspects of the resort.
    for secrets-i've also heard nothing but good reviews BUT for me i like to get off of the resort-and secrets isn't close to anything. believeit's about 30 mins each way to playa del carmen.
    you cant go wrong with either.

• Royal is right by Playa's 5th st but Secrets is only a 30 drive. Just depends on what you want to do while you're there. I say if you want to be out an about alot, then stay at Royal. If you want to be lazy and hang at the resort most of the time, and just take a trip into Playa once or twice, then definitely stay at Secrets. My FI and I are staying at Secrets Maroma Beach in May - we chose that b/c we were afraid that Royal would be too much of a party scene since its so close to Playa. Royal just seems like a better place to go on a vacation with another couple. Good luck.
  • Thanks for the responses!  We are going to a travel agent tomorrow to book and will probably ask their opinion as well but as of now we're thinking the Royal is probably best for us because while I can easily lie on a beach all day my FI would like something else to do so being close to 5th Avenue seems like the better bet.  Reading your responses helped me to think of what FI would like more which means we can both have an enjoyable honeymoon. :)
    BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
    BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
    BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Secrets Maroma all the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards