Wedding Woes

Thursday

It's almost the weekend!!  But I have to work Saturday, womp, womp.   I think DH is going to take the kids to the Veterans Day parade downtown though, so I'll have a nice quiet house.  ;)

The leaves are falling off the trees in earnest.  It was basically raining leaves as I was taking DefConn down the drive to catch the bus.  

Other than that, SSDD. :D 

Re: Thursday

• First pre-natal appt was yesterday.
    Friggen hour and half lol it was just a lot of questions, etc. Basically a physical without the pap test.
    Then bus never showed, so I didn't get home until late :( I got most of the stuff done that I wanted, and got to take a nap. So I'll take that as a win ;)

M was suppose to go hunting today but the one he'll be going with is unable to tonight, so he's taking advantage of that and doing running around today in order to be ready for tomorrow.
    Plus we're suppose to get flurries tomorrow. *sigh-grumble* Guess it was bound to happen, but I hate this time of year :(

Tonight is groceries. Otherwise SSDD ;)

Fun Stranger Things facts I found out:

Hopper wears a wig.
    Will has extensions.
    Elle's buzz cut in season 1 and curly hair in season 2 are real. Buzz cut in season 2's flashbacks is fake.
    and my fave:
    STEVE HARRINGTON'S HAIR IS ALLLLL REALLLLL!!!!!
  • I have a backed up Chiquita and the clean out isn't a fun process.   Poor kiddo was in the nurse's office after her doses of fiber and ex lax and well..I think she's about to start to feel better.

I love to roll my eyes at DH.   I love him and he totally takes that for granted.   He was super thoughtful and bought his coworker an outfit and toy for the birth of his daughter.  But dude doesn't know where the wrap or tissue is so I have to point those things out.

Today is garbage day.   He took out the stinky kitchen garbage but left the feces garbage in Chiquito's room and the nightly pullup garbage in Chiquita's. 

I got home from morning drop off and before settling into work I took those out.   Normally I wouldn't but we have a big party coming up and I want to not stockpile the crap.   As I took out the garbage I made a big face and shook the garbage bags in our RING doorbell.  DH gets the notifications so he can see my, "Dood.  Come on.   This is YOUR JOB," face. 

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2017
    @mrsconn23, leaves leaves everywhere. I love the colors.  We just started to get them when I came back from the NE trip.  They were already there while I was in the NE. :)
    @Misskittydanger, I have to get on that stranger things s2!

Yesterday my husband and I met up with my best friend and her new boyfriend for dinner.  I have never seen her so happy and I told her that. She's been single for so long.  In the past, nice guys would throw themselves at her but she was attracted to the "bad" boy.  Guess what happened with all those bad boys? heart break.  This guy pursued her for a long time and she became friends first and now I guess they're dating?  awesome for her because she was in such a dark hole with money, kids, life and work.  At least she has a good guy in her life now.

Unfortunately I went home from dinner and got sick.  I was the only one who had chicken soup so if no one else got sick (she hasn't gotten back to me) I bet it was that.  I got frustrated and threw my brush into my sink and it chipped.  Well...more than chipped. A huge hole fell through it.  My mom noticed this weekend that I'd need a new one since it was all cracked anyway.  It was bound to happen.  Since I need new flooring I decided to get new tiles and new sink/cabinet at once.  Who's good at remodel?  first time home buyer here. Can I go into home depot and ask for someone to come out and tile the floor and install/replace a new sink all in one shot?

edit: words

• @banana468 Poor Chiquita :( Is this a normal {for her} thing? Hopefully it works quickly and easily

@CharmedPam You do!! It's just as good .... maybe even better because they're not building the characters. I had a lot of emotions at the end lmao
    {Spoiler - Dustin has teeth}
  • Just handed my 2018 Benefit Election form.  One of those odd situations where, you know it is going to be bad news.  You know it is going to hugely piss you off, yet again, and ruin the day.  But yet, are so ANXIOUS to open and find out just how bad the screwing is for next year.

We only have high deductible plans at my work.  Really high.  This year, it was $6800 before the insurance paid anything and (I think) $10,200 OOP Max.  Other than the one free preventative visit and BCPs.

This year?  $30/month more for my portion of the insurance...which I actually don't mind.  But what I do mind is how much the deductibles went up.  Exactly what I was worried about.  $8,000 before they pay jack with a $12,800 OOP Max.  Double those, if I am out-of-network.

I mean, at what point does this just become insane and STILL totally unaffordable if a major medical issue happens...even with insurance.  Oh wait, we're already there.  Sure, if I need my appendix removed, let me just pull $13K out of my a**.  No problem//sarcasm.

<<Vent over>>

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charmedpam I'd ask neighbors/friends (FB, nextdoor, etc) for recommendations. While a hardware store likely can do it or has people it migh tbe cheaper getting an independent person

@misskittydanger I remember the 1st appointment being forever too, it really did feel like a a long ass physical. Though mine had an ultrasound at the beginning - did you have that too? 

@short+sassy this won't really make it any better, but the plan should have a deductible of $7,350 embedded in it for each person, meaning that if one of you had a ton of claims you would hit your deductible at $7,350 instead of $8,000. I know that is a small savings but just pointing it out.  It definitely sucks to be paying more and having an even higher deductible on top of an already high one. We have clients with similar plans (or sadly even worse) but usually they also offer a better plan (at a high cost of course)
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2017
    Our favorite daycare teacher is leaving Nov 30. No big surprise there, I know she wasn't happy and even had said Baby B was the only reason she'd been sticking it out. He will be transitioning to the new room soon so I guess it was time. I plan to get her a going away gift that would be similar to what I would have done for Christmas. So here's my question:

What do you/have you done for a daycare teacher? I may have done straight up cash for Christmas like a bonus/tip but it seems weird now as a going away. Visa giftcard is an option although those things annoy me that you have to pay a fee to get one. I don't know what stores she likes or I'd do a gift card to one of those.

edit: I was sort of dreading the whole gifts for daycare thing, mainly because while I love this teacher, I really have no idea which other ones are in with him since they rotate so it's like I don't even know who to try to give something to and it would add up quickly with the 5+ other teachers sometimes in there.

double edit: his room transition will likely happen sometime in December which then opens up the "who to gift" thing even more - his old room would be the people who had been with him the most not the new ones.
  • Just handed my 2018 Benefit Election form.  One of those odd situations where, you know it is going to be bad news.  You know it is going to hugely piss you off, yet again, and ruin the day.  But yet, are so ANXIOUS to open and find out just how bad the screwing is for next year.

We only have high deductible plans at my work.  Really high.  This year, it was $6800 before the insurance paid anything and (I think) $10,200 OOP Max.  Other than the one free preventative visit and BCPs.

This year?  $30/month more for my portion of the insurance...which I actually don't mind.  But what I do mind is how much the deductibles went up.  Exactly what I was worried about.  $8,000 before they pay jack with a $12,800 OOP Max.  Double those, if I am out-of-network.

I mean, at what point does this just become insane and STILL totally unaffordable if a major medical issue happens...even with insurance.  Oh wait, we're already there.  Sure, if I need my appendix removed, let me just pull $13K out of my a**.  No problem//sarcasm.

<<Vent over>>

Yes. Yes and Yes.  HUGE beef with this. DH has reasonable deductibles, so I'm lucky but my own company is $2,500.00.  Plus, it can change at any time.  How lucky will we be lucky for?

• @kvruns My dr office doesn't have ultrasound there, but I brought mine so my dr could see :) My last ultrasound was Oct 23rd and my 12 week one is Nov 27th.
    Good thing is next appt they can try for the heartbeat at least! lol
  • Yesterday my husband and I met up with my best friend and her new boyfriend for dinner.  I have never seen her so happy and I told her that. She's been single for so long.  In the past, nice guys would throw themselves at her but she was attracted to the "bad" boy.  Guess what happened with all those bad boys? heart break.  This guy pursued her for a long time and she became friends first and now I guess they're dating?  awesome for her because she was in such a dark hole with money, kids, life and work.  At least she has a good guy in her life now.

Unfortunately I went home from dinner and got sick.  I was the only one who had chicken soup so if no one else got sick (she hasn't gotten back to me) I bet it was that.  I got frustrated and threw my brush into my sink and it chipped.  Well...more than chipped. A huge hole fell through it.  My mom noticed this weekend that I'd need a new one since it was all cracked anyway.  It was bound to happen.  Since I need new flooring I decided to get new tiles and new sink/cabinet at once.  Who's good at remodel?  first time home buyer here. Can I go into home depot and ask for someone to come out and tile the floor and install/replace a new sink all in one shot?

edit: words

Yay for your BFF!  I hope things work out for them.  Sorry to hear you got sick, though.

I've never used HD for labor.  I think they do that kind of thing for some of their products, but I get the feeling it is really compartmentalized.  For example, I'd suspect they have installation service available for the bathroom tile floor, but not installing the new sink/cabinet.  And for whatever services they have available, make no mistake, it is not with their own employees.  They just contract it out with whatever companies they already have lined up for those specific tasks.

As so often is the case, with convenience, comes a much higher price.  Tiling and installing a sink base/cabinet are actually really low on the scale for DIY.  Like, I think even I could do both of those things and I can barely tell the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver, lol.  My H could definitely knock those out (and has) easily and in about a day.

The next option would be to hire a handyman.  That's a middle of the road for cost vs. convenience.  More expensive than DIY, but more convenient.  And probably about 1/3rd to half the cost of HD's install services...but less convenient.  Plus, obviously HD wouldn't be responsible for the quality of the labor.  Whereas they technically would if it was a company they sent out, that screwed up the job.  But good luck with that.  I'd bet it would be a real time-consuming PITA to get the job fixed, with HD as the middle-man.

Wish you lived nearby!  I have a few good handymen up my sleeve...including my H, lol...that I could refer to you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam oops! Missed about your BFF, so glad to hear that about her! :) Everyone goes through a 'bad boy' phase and sounds like for her that phase is over :)
  • @charmedpam Sadly nowadays $2500 is a pretty standard deductible and would even be seen as good to many plans. 
  • Wish you lived nearby!  I have a few good handymen up my sleeve...including my H, lol...that I could refer to you.

me too!  I have these jobs out on "thumbtack" for some quotes. My dad has done tiling and I've seen it being done by him (looks fairly easy!) but still don't trust myself or DH.  I guess I'll get the materials through Home Depot or Menards.  FB market is pretty good too with people looking for odds and ends like that.  I just want them done all at once.  We only have one bathroom and I know the tiling of the floor has to be done first, right?  

• Hearing about all this medical b.s in the states makes me grateful for ours and not bitch about paying $6 for the ultrasound photo :| 
  • Wish you lived nearby!  I have a few good handymen up my sleeve...including my H, lol...that I could refer to you.  

I also wish your H lived nearby. We have a dryer that needs to be set up lol
  • @MissKittyDanger a friend of mine helped make 11’s wig.... so I am kind of a big deal ;););)

today was a little better than yesterday. I was able to clean up the house a little, even without a vacuum. I went to tour a couple properties and now I have a dilemma.
    property 1: Pros: Decent all around, very nice pool/gym, beautiful community, grocery in walking/ biking distance, on the lower end of budget
    Cons: parking, washer in kitchen, weird to get to, have to buy appliances 

property 2: Pros: Beautiful, impressive interiors, appliances included, close to friends, easy to get to.
    Cons: shitty amenities (would probably have to get membership at hotel across the road), close neighbors, top of/ slightly over budget.

not going on this weekend. DH signed up for training in Miami in April and my first best friend is moving from FL in January. :( I might still go with to make visits.
  • @MissKittyDanger a friend of mine helped make 11’s wig.... so I am kind of a big deal ;););)
    Wait a second .... someone you know can MAKE wigs!?
    Wait a second .... someone you know can MAKE wigs!?
    Two of my friends (one great old school friend and a lady I was on tour with who I am always happy to see even if we aren’t that close anymore) make wigs for Broadway shows in NYC. Tour friend helped out with 11’s wig.

me too!  I have these jobs out on "thumbtack" for some quotes. My dad has done tiling and I've seen it being done by him (looks fairly easy!) but still don't trust myself or DH.  I guess I'll get the materials through Home Depot or Menards.  FB market is pretty good too with people looking for odds and ends like that.  I just want them done all at once.  We only have one bathroom and I know the tiling of the floor has to be done first, right?  

Actually, I'm pretty sure it is just the opposite.  I think you tile around the fixture, as opposed to having it sit on top of the tile.  But I'm not 100% on that and will double check with H.

I do agree it will be easier to have one person/company just do the whole thing, at the same time. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Nothing much here. Dh's grandma is not doing well. She's lost more weight and said she doesn't have anything to look forward too. His aunts prognosis isn't very good. 

My hormones are crazy out of whack. Driving home from preschool pick up I heard a story about the church shooting. I started thinking about the logistics of funeral homes for all of those people and burst into tears. 

I am glad my parents are back from their trip. I want my mommy. 
  • 6fsn said:
    Nothing much here. Dh's grandma is not doing well. She's lost more weight and said she doesn't have anything to look forward too. His aunts prognosis isn't very good. 

My hormones are crazy out of whack. Driving home from preschool pick up I heard a story about the church shooting. I started thinking about the logistics of funeral homes for all of those people and burst into tears. 

I am glad my parents are back from their trip. I want my mommy. 
    Omg you're gonna make me cry also! :(
  • SSDD here. Still not feeling 100%, my vision is off or something today, it's weird.  Plus my taste buds are off.  I just want to go home and curl up under a blanet.  But instead I have to be creative and write ad copy.  It's probably not going to be good.

Pups is having these weird bouts of separation anxiety in the middle of the night.  H has gotten up both nights and finished sleeping in the guest room with her.  Hopefully he's not creating a bad habit.

@6fsn I read that the Southern Baptist Church organization that the church belonged to (forgive me for being vague, I can't remember the details) was paying for all of the funerals.  
  • My church is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention as was the church in TX. I got an email saying they had offered to pay for all funerals. It also mentioned that there are plans to tear down the building but detail weren't confirmed yet.
  • My church is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention as was the church in TX. I got an email saying they had offered to pay for all funerals. It also mentioned that there are plans to tear down the building but detail weren't confirmed yet.
    It's lovely they're paying for all the funerals but bittersweet they're thinking about tearing down the building :(
  • Crazy day at work, and I'm sick again. I just want to sleep. Good thing is I have the day off at non-profit job tomorrow and I'm getting a hair cut/color before my class. 

@missJeanLouise I can't remember, but are you renting or buying?