Wedding Woes

Royal Wedding!

2»

Re: Royal Wedding!

• mrsconn23 said:
    Full disclosure: I do not follow the royals at all. I see photos and headlines in the grocery store checkout line and that's the extent of how much I know (and care). From that, I do happen to know Kate and I have very similar due dates. 

Anyway, I'm excited about this for two reasons: 1) the photos - two beautiful people having an extravagant wedding = fab photos, so yay! and 2) a royal marrying an independently successful, biracial, American woman and (at least the statements from) the royal family being happy about it. 

But serious question, does this take Harry out of line for being the king? 
    It does not.  But he moves to 5th or 6th in succession once the new royal baby is born. 

She may not be able to hold a title as soon as they get married since she's not a British citizen.  I guess there's rules about this and it supposedly takes 5 years to become a citizen, but I also hear that can be circumvented/sped up. 

I get eye-rolly that people keep saying she's 'retiring' from acting.  She left her show and may never take another acting job, but that's not retiring.  Plenty of people stop working due to a change in circumstances and that's not called retirement. 

Their kids will supposedly be dual citizens and that makes this highly amusing. 

Weird, fun fact about dual citizenship and the U.S.  It actually isn't allowed here.  I think the U.S. is one of the few countries that doesn't allow dual citizenship, though that is more an impression I have.

With that said, it's not something the U. S. aggressively goes after.  Or, I should say, goes after at all.

Unless a person wants to become an officer in the military.  In that case, they do have to officially denounce any other citizenships they could claim.

One would think that would be the same to take the oath of office for POTUS.  But, then again, I wouldn't necessarily bet money on it, lol.

It doesn't make this awesome tweet any less funny.  However, British plans to finally take America back might be foiled again!

This is not true. The US allows dual citizenship. Many of us have it. 

Hmmm...I've always heard it wasn't allowed.  I apologize for my somewhat incorrect info.  I went and looked it up.  It was banned in the U.S. until 1967.  And was frowned upon for some time after that.  It can still be a confusing and complex issue.  It is allowed, but only under specific circumstances.  The biggest exception is naturalized citizens do have to technically denounce their former citizenships in their oath.  Here is the link:

https://www.legallanguage.com/legal-articles/dual-citizenship-united-states/

I do know it is true  that military officers need to denounce other citizenships.  Perhaps it is specific types of officers, thought that wasn't my impression.  At least that was the case about 10 years ago.  I used to work at a Navy facility and two of my coworkers vetted officer candidates.  Part of that process was the candidates had to officially denounce their other citizenships to become Naval officers.  If they chose not to, and some didn't, they could still be in the military.  But they couldn't be an officer.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dual citizenship is a gray area.  per this page:

The United States does not formally recognize dual citizenship. However, it also has not taken any stand against it, either legally or politically.

http://immigration.findlaw.com/citizenship/dual-citizenship.html

When we got sworn in, we were told that the US does not recognize us as dual, but Canada does. It really hasn't affected me either way....
    I have dual citizenship with Great Britain and the US. I was born in the US but have a right to GB citizenship "by descent" and have GB and US passports. 

I don't think it could have worked the other way around. My mom was a legal alien in the US for 30+years before she became a US citizen, which I'm 99% certain meant "renouncing" her British citizenship (but I could be wrong). 

Re: Harry/Meghan- I also heard the new titles would be Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

• mrsconn23 said:
    Full disclosure: I do not follow the royals at all. I see photos and headlines in the grocery store checkout line and that's the extent of how much I know (and care). From that, I do happen to know Kate and I have very similar due dates. 

Anyway, I'm excited about this for two reasons: 1) the photos - two beautiful people having an extravagant wedding = fab photos, so yay! and 2) a royal marrying an independently successful, biracial, American woman and (at least the statements from) the royal family being happy about it. 

It does not.  But he moves to 5th or 6th in succession once the new royal baby is born. 

She may not be able to hold a title as soon as they get married since she's not a British citizen.  I guess there's rules about this and it supposedly takes 5 years to become a citizen, but I also hear that can be circumvented/sped up. 

I get eye-rolly that people keep saying she's 'retiring' from acting.  She left her show and may never take another acting job, but that's not retiring.  Plenty of people stop working due to a change in circumstances and that's not called retirement. 

Weird, fun fact about dual citizenship and the U.S.  It actually isn't allowed here.  I think the U.S. is one of the few countries that doesn't allow dual citizenship, though that is more an impression I have.

With that said, it's not something the U. S. aggressively goes after.  Or, I should say, goes after at all.

Unless a person wants to become an officer in the military.  In that case, they do have to officially denounce any other citizenships they could claim.

One would think that would be the same to take the oath of office for POTUS.  But, then again, I wouldn't necessarily bet money on it, lol.

It doesn't make this awesome tweet any less funny.  However, British plans to finally take America back might be foiled again!

It's a gray area at best.   Ted Cruz had to denounce his Canadian citizenship when he pursued a Presidential candidacy.

The way I understand it is that you can have two Passports and be a citizen of two countries.   However if you attempt to pursue anything requiring a military appointment or governmental security clearance then that comes into an area of jeopardy / concern.   My husband works for a government contractor and has a government security clearance.    I believe the company will not hire those who pursue maintaining dual citizenship.
  • banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

It's a gray area at best.   Ted Cruz had to denounce his Canadian citizenship when he pursued a Presidential candidacy.

The way I understand it is that you can have two Passports and be a citizen of two countries.   However if you attempt to pursue anything requiring a military appointment or governmental security clearance then that comes into an area of jeopardy / concern.   My husband works for a government contractor and has a government security clearance.    I believe the company will not hire those who pursue maintaining dual citizenship.
    It’s really not. It may be an issue for certain jobs but it isn’t banned or illegal or forbidden. 
  • banana468 said:

At a different job I had, our client was the Army Corps. of Engineers.  They had an employee who was a Dutch citizen, but had been living in the U.S. for quite a few years.

They tried endlessly to get a security clearance for him, but to no avail.  From my understanding, it is technically possible for a non-US citizen to have a security clearance.  But, in reality, it is mountains of red tape and extremely rare.

The project was for putting up a huge floodgate in NOLA.  As an interesting aside, the Netherlands and NOLA both have issues with flooding.  They have worked together a lot over the years and shared knowledge in combatting this problem.  So it wasn't completely random that a Dutch guy was helping with the engineering of a floodgate!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

It’s really not. It may be an issue for certain jobs but it isn’t banned or illegal or forbidden. 
    You're correct.   It's not that it's forbidden or illegal.   Word choice may have been incorrect above.   

However the US doesn't recognize or follow the dual citizenship and if you file that you ARE a citizen of another country then that has an affect on other aspects you may want to pursue as a US citizen.    
  • banana468 said:

At a different job I had, our client was the Army Corps. of Engineers.  They had an employee who was a Dutch citizen, but had been living in the U.S. for quite a few years.

They tried endlessly to get a security clearance for him, but to no avail.  From my understanding, it is technically possible for a non-US citizen to have a security clearance.  But, in reality, it is mountains of red tape and extremely rare.

The project was for putting up a huge floodgate in NOLA.  As an interesting aside, the Netherlands and NOLA both have issues with flooding.  They have worked together a lot over the years and shared knowledge in combatting this problem.  So it wasn't completely random that a Dutch guy was helping with the engineering of a floodgate!

This is correct. I worked for a military contractor and one of my colleagues is a citizen of Australia. He had security clearance and worked on-base on a highly classified project.