Wedding Woes

Things that make you go hmmm...

I was reading a buzzfeed listicle about bad friends and came across this gem...that reminded me of a post from a couple months back:

7. The insensitive bride:

"She asked me to be her maid of honor. I said no and offered to support her in other ways because at the time, I was 1. Unemployed for 11 months, 2. On food stamps, 3. Just dumped by my abusive ex, 3. Too anxious to leave the house most days, and 4. Severely depressed to the point where I called a suicide hotline for help and started therapy immediately. She knew all of that, and yet, expected me to magically snap out of it. When I didn't, she ignored me for months, including during her birthday when I reached out, then popped up again like nothing happened to see if we could go to a concert. Fuck no. I told her I was DONE. Mental illness and trauma aren't a joke people! Show some compassion."

hm570782

I didn't do a deep enough dive to find the o.g. post, but it definitely got a 'heh, sounds familiar' from me.  ;)

You can read the whole thing here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/terripous/flipped-friend-breakups?utm_term=.lwMGEZ0k1#.fozjDxdYb

Re: Things that make you go hmmm...

• But seriously, how do people really have the thought process of "My friend is struggling with mental health, but really choosing centerpieces for my party is so much more important". 
  • OMG at 18!

18. And...the worst person ever:

"She threatened to out me to my entire family I am closeted to, still told her family, who also all threatened to out me, because I wasn’t giving her enough help and attention for her wedding."

kathrynh4fbf92a37

• mrsconn23 said:
    OMG at 18!

18. And...the worst person ever:

"She threatened to out me to my entire family I am closeted to, still told her family, who also all threatened to out me, because I wasn’t giving her enough help and attention for her wedding."

kathrynh4fbf92a37

I hate people. 
  • Whoa.....I mean it would be a crazy coincidence, but she does sound exactly like the MOH of that one bride who came here relatively recently. Yikes! Two sides to every story for sure!
    *********************************************************************************

• Whoa.....I mean it would be a crazy coincidence, but she does sound exactly like the MOH of that one bride who came here relatively recently. Yikes! Two sides to every story for sure!
    Which bride are you taking about? I need my memory jogged
  • @missJeanLouise - she was the one who wanted to kick her friend of like 25 years out of the wedding because she hadn't been supportive enough (i.e. helping her do things and be all involved in planning). If I remember right, they didn't live in the same state and the friend had recently been through a bad job loss, was battling depression, and had a sad boyfriend experience (I think he overdosed maybe? @mrsconn23). OP was really just looking for validation - she did not care one iota about anything people were saying.
    *********************************************************************************

• scribe95 said:
    I can see both sides on this in one respect. If I was depressed I don't think I would want my friends automatically deciding I wouldn't/couldn't want to do things and then not invite me to anything. Obviously this particular bride was an ass after the friend told her no but extending the invitation in and of itself isn't wrong.
    I don't think anyone said it was wrong. Oftentimes stories of crazy people start out with what should be normal behavior.