Wedding Woes

Thursday!!! (It's Thursday, right?)

Good morning! 
The holiday on Monday and the fact that I also took Tuesday off have me completely off as to what day it is.

We are in Blizzard Central here in the Boston area, so H & I are WFH today. Babypants' daycare is also closed (not that we would have even ventured out to drive her there - visibility is already horrendous and we aren't even in the worst of the storm yet). I may also be WFH tomorrow if the blizzard is as bad as the weather people are predicting. 

Luckily I am not currently on deadline (first time since maternity leave and not counting maternity leave, this is the first time I haven't been on deadline in almost a year and a half), so WFH today for me means just connecting to VPN, checking email, and Knotting sporadically while Babypants naps. 

Hopefully we don't lose power (which would mean we would lose heat), but H & I were without power and heat in February of 2013 for about three days (previous neighborhood - the sea wall also breached so our neighborhood was an island with no access for emergency services for those three days as well), so we have since created "storm protocols" which means we jack up the heat so that if we do lose power/heat, it takes longer for the house to get too cold. Since we have the baby now, if we were to lose heat/power (God forbid), we would board the puppy at the VCA near us and check into the Marriott that's about 7 miles from here. 

CNN and our local weather people are saying that after the storm, temps in the Boston area will drop so low that we will be colder than Mars. Yikes.

My cousin lives in the Charleston area and posted a video on Instagram yesterday of snow coming down amidst the palm trees in her neighborhood. It was both freaky and kind of neat to see. 

How's everyone doing here? 

Re: Thursday!!! (It's Thursday, right?)

• Tomorrow is going to be our nasty day. -6 with real feels under -20. I'm prepared for delays or closures. 

Im sitting in drop off line smiling at the poor schmucks inside waiting to register for preschool next year. Rumor has it people were lining up at 5 am. I know someone at another preschool that was lined up at 4:02 yesterday. She was 10th. I am DONE with this craziness (and expense). I think I will be sad at kindergarten registration though 
  • @6fsn 4:02 am and she was TENTH????? Holy cow!!!
  • I was wondering about you, @sparklepants41, and other NE knotties when I heard about the potential heat loss on the radio this morning. It breaks my heart for people without the resources and/or wherewithal to manage it. The elderly and poor people come to mind. I was thinking about what we would do and I guess we'd hook up our generator and hunker down in our smallest bedroom with just the space heater hooked up. I wondered if our fish tank would freeze (#firstworldproblems). 

Everyone in my office is collecting PowerBall contributions today and getting all excited about being rich. I never contribute (yes, I am that person). I mean, I know "someone has to win", but the likelihood is SO low that I'd rather just go to Chipotle for lunch.
    *********************************************************************************

• Tomorrow is supposed to be our bad weather day, too. The largest school districts have already closed in anticipation, mainly for the cold. Predictions are -25 with windchill. I'm hoping I can WFH with those temps, but we'll see. We're not big on adjusting for weather here. 

• @6fsn 4:02 am and she was TENTH????? Holy cow!!!
    It's CRAZY. People pay people to wait in line. 
  • Your day sounds lovely @sparklepants41

DH’s family live in Charleston. Our niece and nephew were going crazy but idk how long that will last, lol. MIL wasn’t allowed to leave her job at the hospital and everyone was made to stay the night. Forecast is 60 on Saturday.

My poor family has been in -20 temps all week and are jumping for joy for 0 degrees being predicted next week. 

Today, I finished all my cutting for my new quilt and started sewing. I already feel like I am fucking it up but I don’t know enough to know if I am. Tomorrow, DH and I are going kayaking in the mangroves and I am so excited. I have been wanting to do this since we moved here. We also are going to see about a car. Our rental is about to expire and we want to get in on an yearly lease but kind of fucked up by not doing it before the new year.
  • I was wondering about you, @sparklepants41, and other NE knotties when I heard about the potential heat loss on the radio this morning. It breaks my heart for people without the resources and/or wherewithal to manage it. The elderly and poor people come to mind. I was thinking about what we would do and I guess we'd hook up our generator and hunker down in our smallest bedroom with just the space heater hooked up. I wondered if our fish tank would freeze (#firstworldproblems). 

Everyone in my office is collecting PowerBall contributions today and getting all excited about being rich. I never contribute (yes, I am that person). I mean, I know "someone has to win", but the likelihood is SO low that I'd rather just go to Chipotle for lunch.
    This is me, too. But H loves the Powerball. He bought a ticket, because "it's 500 million dollars". Sure, but we had the $4 you spent on it. 

On the heat loss; there are a number of community groups in Buffalo that go around to elderly residents to make sure they know what to do in the case of power/heat outages in extreme cold. We've also had Code Blue in effect for almost a week now, so warming stations are open at night (they'll like be open during the day tomorrow, too) and outreach teams are out around the clock to make sure people who live outside know where to go to get warm. 
  • Stay warm @sparklepants41 

My brother is in Myrtle Beach and had some snow on the ground and then sent a pic from someone in Charleston with a few inches on the ground there.  My parents are in FL for the winter and it's around 30 where they are - their place only has one small space heater so I think they are pretty cold. 

I got lucky that the school district I live in is still on break this week, otherwise I think school would have closed due to cold temps and my daycare will close whenever school closes. I might have cried if they closed, I needed a break!

• @6fsn Why!?!? Why is that a thing?
  • 6fsn said:
    @6fsn 4:02 am and she was TENTH????? Holy cow!!!
    It's CRAZY. People pay people to wait in line. 
    Is this like the super special awesome preschool or something? Which I'm sure they then pay ridiculous $$ to attend? 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2018
    This month is going to be expensive AF for us on heating this house.  We're doing everything we can to keep the auxiliary heat from kicking on, but we also don't want to freeze.  It was 59 in the house when we woke up this morning.  I'm also worried about how hard our heat pump is working.   We have two more days of temps dipping into the negative (and it's not going to get as bad as other areas) and then it looks like we rebound to the mid 30's and then range from the 20's to 40's.  Crossing all crossables we're done with the deep freeze. 

At least it's nice a sunny out today.  ;)  Also, I bought this wearable blanket thing from Costco a couple years ago and was questioning why I bought it not too long ago, but it's coming in handy because my back has been super cold. I'm also patting myself on the back for buying fleece Columbia pants on clearance over the summer.  Those + the wearable blanket, I'm the most comfortable I've been in days.  :D 

Stay safe NE ladies!  Sounds like you have a good game plan, Sparkle. 
  • I feel you ladies with the temp drop coming. Friday & Saturday it'll feel like -33C {-28F for reference} and I am not looking forward to it.

I've already pre-asked M to pick me up Friday, stating my princess ass does not want to wait for a bus in -33 weather lol!

Tonight is groceries and I'm glad it's tonight and not tomorrow. I would hate to walk the parking lot there at all. I also need to get eyebrows done, so there's that.

Saturday we're going to my aunt's place, which isn't a far walk from car to house but we're taking my nana and I just hope she is covered well since she's older.

Also this weekend M has to do the plugs, so since he'll have to move the couch I'm gonna take advantage and sweep/vacuum/mop underneath. I think at some point something spilled and it just looks gross.
  • We're smack dab in the middle of winter storm stuff here.   DH's employer isn't closed but DH is home.  I'm WFH for the day but told people to PLEASE not pull me into conference calls if it's not necessary since I'll have a loud peanut gallery behind me. 

I just hope we don't lose power.  We have a generator which is better than most but It's a pain to start and to run it all night means the garage is open to the elements for the evening.  The alternative is camping in the living room by the fire place which has its own risks including drafts in this wind.

Bah!  Fingers crossed that we just come out of this with the need to snow blow.   That is doable. 
  • In my area people have to get on waitlists the second they know they’re pregnant if they want to get into a good pre-school. My friend pays $1700 a month for two days a week of preschool. And it’s not even one of the great ones. 

Work today and tomorrow. I’m sending the cold knotties some Southern California warmth. I don’t even think I could function in that. I’m looking forward to Prudie letters. It feels like it’s been forever! 

• $1700 a month of 2 days.....ouch!  A friend in San Francisco had a baby the day before me and we were talking about prices and it was insane - I think she ended up just staying home because it was going to be $2800 a month for daycare
  • It's church preschool!!  2-3 days a week for 2.5 hrs. It is cheap though $200ish a month. This is just the first round of people already enrolled. It's rich people with nothing else to do. Last year I strolled in at 9 and if I didn't get in oh well. 
  • Odd question, what anyone here affected by the Ice Storm of '98?

If so, it's the 20yr anniversary of it!

It's crazy I remember it so well. My dad worked for hydro, and the only reason we know he was even home during the entire time was because his clothes were on the floor. My mum stupidly woke me up at like 5am daily because the mall was still open, so apparently her leaving meant I had to be up.
    I said it then, I'll say it now. That was the stupidest idea ever. I know it's not your fave idea to allow your 10yr old home alone, but there wasn't many options. Everything was coated in ice. But I was fine .... I just wish I could have slept in instead of being woken up {I'd sleep on the couch afterwards but that's beside the point ....}

This was when my dad started hating someone who worked for the city. There was many guys working on deicing stuff, this city worker {like a mayor but not really} would show up with media and like 4 hot drinks. Make a big deal about bringing 4 drinks when there's approx 10 men .... they basically told him to take his stuff and go, they were busy. Lol

Still not a fan of this dude.
  • Stay safe NE knotties. We are just darn cold here in Indy. I've been venturing out to the Y in the mornings but staying home the rest of the day. Getting stuff organized and cleaned from holiday put away.

UGH to that preschool stuff. I remember the days of standing in line and don't miss it one iota!
  • @6fsn is is like a Moms/parents day out program? I know on my local FB baby site someone was looking for MOPS programs that had openings as she was waitlisted on a few of them.  Guess that's a similar thing. 
  • kvruns said:
    @6fsn is is like a Moms/parents day out program? I know on my local FB baby site someone was looking for MOPS programs that had openings as she was waitlisted on a few of them.  Guess that's a similar thing. 
    No they are a curriculum based schools that just happen to be in churches. My kids actually learned zero religion there. They do colors and numbers and writing onthe 3 yo program. Sight words, basic math, beginning reading,science experiments in the 4 groups. The teachers all have degrees in education. Its basically the kindergarten of 35 years ago. They just don't have a daycare component. The parent say out programs fill up even faster. 

Mops is is a mom group that provides daycare while the moms have"fellowship".  Usually the kids just play in the church nursery. 
  • levioosa said:
    In my area people have to get on waitlists the second they know they’re pregnant if they want to get into a good pre-school. My friend pays $1700 a month for two days a week of preschool. And it’s not even one of the great ones. 

Work today and tomorrow. I’m sending the cold knotties some Southern California warmth. I don’t even think I could function in that. I’m looking forward to Prudie letters. It feels like it’s been forever! 
    That's pretty much the same here. I had to register Babypants at the beginning of my second trimester and I was lucky enough to nab the last October infant room spot. And we pay more than many people pay for annual college tuition. 
  • I hear the storm in the NE is going to be bad.  You guys always have it bad!  I'm in a small weight loss support group, basically made up of older women.  We cancelled tonight's meeting because it is too cold (we canceled this on Tuesday) and they don't go out if it's too cold (we're talking 7 degrees here).  Soooo basically all of Winter will be cancelled? 

I took yesterday off to go to my friends wedding.  When I looked at the distance the night before it was 1 hour and 8 minutes away. I told H we'd have to leave the house at 9:30 (9:40 at the latest).  I was sitting in the car at 9:40.  H was not yet out.  I checked the gps and because of morning traffic it was now 1 hour and 16 minutes away.  He, of course was taking his time getting out.  We didn't leave until 9:50.  I sped guys.  I SPED! But we still had a stop in traffic and I was behind a salt truck in a one way street for a few miles which didn't help.  The ceremony at the court house started at 11.  We got there at 10:57 because of my speeding! However, there were three buildings and I drove around and we didn't know which one it was.  We finally found it, raced into the building had to go through security and I entered the admin room and said "I'm here for my friends wedding, what room is it?"
    "Oh, they're already married but it's right next door". 

Guys - when I heard that, my heart sank.  I had no idea but it was 11:10 after we got through everything.  H also had his pockets full of shit and security takes forever with him! We walked into the room as everyone was hugging and congratulating them.  After, the grooms mom was like "we could held it off a bit maybe...no one was after them....."

I went back into my car and cried.  I missed my best friends wedding.  At 11, my H wanted me to text her to tell her we couldn't find the building but I was like "no! she's getting married right now, she doesn't have her phone on her!" - as it turns out, she did.  I wonder if they would have postponed it even 5 minutes had she known we were there...just not there.

• oh No that sucks you missed it :(
  • ((Hugs)) @CharmedPam I am sure she was just as happy to see you when you got there. It’s okay, don’t beat yourself up over it.
  • ((Hugs)) @CharmedPam I am sure she was just as happy to see you when you got there. It’s okay, don’t beat yourself up over it.
    It's just that my H can NEVER leave the house when we set a time.  I should have stuck to 9:30 and we would have been fine. We're late for everything and he has no sense of urgency for anything.  In his defense, he just got home at 9:00 am and was working since 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, so was up for a VERY long time, so yeah he had to change and freshen up and giving him 1/2 hour just wasn't enough.

We had a nice lunch afterwards and a few people went back to her house for cake and socialization. So there was that....

• I hear the storm in the NE is going to be bad.  You guys always have it bad!  I'm in a small weight loss support group, basically made up of older women.  We cancelled tonight's meeting because it is too cold (we canceled this on Tuesday) and they don't go out if it's too cold (we're talking 7 degrees here).  Soooo basically all of Winter will be cancelled? 

I took yesterday off to go to my friends wedding.  When I looked at the distance the night before it was 1 hour and 8 minutes away. I told H we'd have to leave the house at 9:30 (9:40 at the latest).  I was sitting in the car at 9:40.  H was not yet out.  I checked the gps and because of morning traffic it was now 1 hour and 16 minutes away.  He, of course was taking his time getting out.  We didn't leave until 9:50.  I sped guys.  I SPED! But we still had a stop in traffic and I was behind a salt truck in a one way street for a few miles which didn't help.  The ceremony at the court house started at 11.  We got there at 10:57 because of my speeding! However, there were three buildings and I drove around and we didn't know which one it was.  We finally found it, raced into the building had to go through security and I entered the admin room and said "I'm here for my friends wedding, what room is it?"
    "Oh, they're already married but it's right next door". 

Guys - when I heard that, my heart sank.  I had no idea but it was 11:10 after we got through everything.  H also had his pockets full of shit and security takes forever with him! We walked into the room as everyone was hugging and congratulating them.  After, the grooms mom was like "we could held it off a bit maybe...no one was after them....."

I went back into my car and cried.  I missed my best friends wedding.  At 11, my H wanted me to text her to tell her we couldn't find the building but I was like "no! she's getting married right now, she doesn't have her phone on her!" - as it turns out, she did.  I wonder if they would have postponed it even 5 minutes had she known we were there...just not there.
    Ouff so sorry, terrible situation. 
  • Aw charmedpam. I'm so sorry 
  • Ugh, @CharmedPam that sucks. I'm sorry. 
  • Holy shit. I've been avoiding grocery stores and limiting to quick trips for December (I hate people). I just replenished to the tune of $322.09. Granted it's not all food but damn I'm shell shocked  
  • @CharmedPam Damn that's awful :( Sorry to hear!

@6fsn Holy crap!! Mind you, how many people are you feeding in your house?