Wedding Woes

Wednesday

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited January 2018 in Wedding Woes
How's it going?  Apparently, a bunch of schools had 2 hour delays and/or closed today.  I had no idea since our school system never calls delays or closures.  

I had a nice day off yesterday.  I think we're going to SIL and BIL's this coming weekend to celebrate bdays (my nephew's, DH's, and mine) since we had to scuttle our trip a couple weeks ago due to the flu. 

I thought it was Thursday and was sad it's only Wednesday.  I could use a nap.  ;) 

Re: Wednesday

• I had the hardest time waking up this morning. I just kept hitting the snooze! It was 40 degrees yesterday, and now it's 20 degrees and super icy. I know it's Buffalo, and I know it's only January, but I'm over this already. 

I also wish it was Thursday already and want a nap @mrsconn23

But we're going to see roller derby on Friday, so that's something to look forward to!
  • I had the hardest time waking up this morning. I just kept hitting the snooze! It was 40 degrees yesterday, and now it's 20 degrees and super icy. I know it's Buffalo, and I know it's only January, but I'm over this already. 

But we're going to see roller derby on Friday, so that's something to look forward to!
    I live less thank 2 hours from the border to Buffalo, I feel your cold. 

I was more pissed that my latte was cold by the time I got to work this morning. 

I'm going out for Tex Mex and margaritas tonight with a girlfriend to comisserate about the hells that we've been going through with work!

If you have any questions, let me know.  I've become a marginally good explainer of roller derby since K plays.  I even yell at refs now!  :D  

I have the first Pride meeting tonight and a loooooooong list of things to go over.  It's my last meeting to run and then I hand it over to my new Co-Chair to start his training.

This week is just blah.  I think I'm having to admit that I'm at a new normal and it's a different headspace than I expect it to be because I'm trying to break so many ingrained habits.  IDK.  I might also just need a long damn vacation again.
  • I'm pretty sure Angel is off for timing. He tried to wake me up for food at 4:30am *sigh* Only way to stop him, is the lie facing away from him - which is my right side. It worked, but I was so uncomfortable because I have wicked indigestion going on.
    Then Penny starts getting into something - which may have been a shoe. Idk - so I'm whisper-yelling at my cats. Threatening to lock them out of the bedroom, etc.
    After the alarm went off, I lay there for awhile because I was still tired. Guhhh!

I'm 95% sure why I have horrible indigestion, and I doubt there's anything I can do about it until I'm not pregnant since I'm pretty sure it's the prozac. Zoloft - my other option - did the same thing.
    Might make an appt with my dr about it if I can't find an antacid that works *sigh*

We pulled out the instant pot to try ribs tonight. Hopefully it works out :)

We've gotta start cleaning up the table and basement asap :\ especially because people are coming Sunday.
  • @mrsconn23 Is that typical for you system? Also thought it was Thursday, I was getting recycling all ready this morning lmao!

@charlotte989875 I feel you on the "even though it's January, I'm tired of winter" 
  • I'm pretty sure Angel is off for timing. He tried to wake me up for food at 4:30am *sigh* Only way to stop him, is the lie facing away from him - which is my right side. It worked, but I was so uncomfortable because I have wicked indigestion going on.
    Then Penny starts getting into something - which may have been a shoe. Idk - so I'm whisper-yelling at my cats. Threatening to lock them out of the bedroom, etc.
    After the alarm went off, I lay there for awhile because I was still tired. Guhhh!

I'm 95% sure why I have horrible indigestion, and I doubt there's anything I can do about it until I'm not pregnant since I'm pretty sure it's the prozac. Zoloft - my other option - did the same thing.
    Might make an appt with my dr about it if I can't find an antacid that works *sigh*

We've gotta start cleaning up the table and basement asap :\ especially because people are coming Sunday.
    I found that any sugary food made my heartburn 100% worst while pregnant. I was on Prilosec while pregnant (Motherrisk okayed it). 

I found that any sugary food made my heartburn 100% worst while pregnant. I was on Prilosec while pregnant (Motherrisk okayed it). 
    I think today's is worse because I snacked so close to bed time :( I'll look into Prilosec :)
  • VarunaTT said:
    I had the hardest time waking up this morning. I just kept hitting the snooze! It was 40 degrees yesterday, and now it's 20 degrees and super icy. I know it's Buffalo, and I know it's only January, but I'm over this already. 

If you have any questions, let me know.  I've become a marginally good explainer of roller derby since K plays.  I even yell at refs now!  :D  

I have the first Pride meeting tonight and a loooooooong list of things to go over.  It's my last meeting to run and then I hand it over to my new Co-Chair to start his training.

This week is just blah.  I think I'm having to admit that I'm at a new normal and it's a different headspace than I expect it to be because I'm trying to break so many ingrained habits.  IDK.  I might also just need a long damn vacation again.
    Any tips for first time spectators welcome! H works with two women who play so a few colleagues from his office are all going. We know nothing, but it looks like fun!

I think today's is worse because I snacked so close to bed time :( I'll look into Prilosec :)
    For non medical options, avoiding spicy and rich food remotely close to bed time (so sad) and sleeping propped up on a couple of pillows really helps me, just in case you haven’t tried that yet!

For non medical options, avoiding spicy and rich food remotely close to bed time (so sad) and sleeping propped up on a couple of pillows really helps me, just in case you haven’t tried that yet!
    I don't do spicy, and last night I had Capt'n Crunch {likely why lol!}
    I'm not a fan of propping pillows, but I may have to suck it up :(
  • I had wicked indigestion with m2. I forget what the doc said I could take, but it helped immensely.  

Im waiting for my mammogram. It was supposed to be 15 mins ago and I'm still fully dressed. I need to hit preschool pickup in an hour!!!  

Theres just tons tons of shit to do. 
  • @mrsconn23 Is that typical for you system? Also thought it was Thursday, I was getting recycling all ready this morning lmao!

Yeah, they rarely close.  I guess a few years ago when we had the ice-pocalypse they were dragged hard by all the parents for closing for a week. (Which I don't think any of the schools were wrong for closing during that time because we were iced in for 3-ish days.  My office closed for the first time ever in my employment.  I worked through it, since I work from home).  

So they've gone to the extreme to avoid delays or closures.  I just hope that they don't make the wrong decision one day and it leads to a larger problem.  So far though, I haven't felt my kids were unsafe being transported to and from school.  

Our old district called a delay and then canceled all together.  But they've always had a hair-trigger on calling delays and closures (which was obnoxious when the kiddo was young and DH and I both had to go into the office for work).  

Meh, I craved and ate spicy food all throughout my pregnancy without triggering my heartburn. As soon as I had something sweet, it was instant pain, different people have different triggers. 
  • I found that any sugary food made my heartburn 100% worst while pregnant. I was on Prilosec while pregnant (Motherrisk okayed it). 
    Meh, I craved and ate spicy food all throughout my pregnancy without triggering my heartburn. As soon as I had something sweet, it was instant pain, different people have different triggers. 
    I drank so much milk last night because it was starting :( Usually that helps. I swear it's the prozac, unless she's sitting super high now *side eyes baby*

Honestly, I got to a point in my pregnancy where WATER - FREAKING NORMAL WATER - gave me heartburn. There used to be an old wives' tale - but it has since been scientifically proven by a study done at Johns Hopkins - that there is a direct correlation between a mother's heartburn and the baby's hair. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    I had the hardest time waking up this morning. I just kept hitting the snooze! It was 40 degrees yesterday, and now it's 20 degrees and super icy. I know it's Buffalo, and I know it's only January, but I'm over this already. 

Any tips for first time spectators welcome! H works with two women who play so a few colleagues from his office are all going. We know nothing, but it looks like fun!
    This is a little long:  So, roller derby is one of the only sports where both teams are playing offense and defense at the same time.  Each team will have 5 players on the track.

Offense = Jammers.  K is a jammer and I think the most helpful thing she ever said is "I'm the ball."  Jammers have a star on their helmet cover which is called "panty".  Jammers are the only ones who can score points.

Defense = everyone else on the track, called the "pack".  There will be one other person in the pack with a panty on that has a stripe on it.  They're the "pivot" and if a jammer gets real stuck (see below), they can pass the panty and the pivot becomes the jammer.

Plays, called "jams" only last 2 minutes.

Jammers will start at a line (called the jammer line) while the rest of the "pack" gathers at the other side of the line.  The whistle blows and each jammer attacks the pack, trying to get through it.  Team A's pack will try to stop Jammer B from getting through, while helping their Jammer A to get through Team B's pack and vice versa.  I actually really like sitting at the jammer line because you'll see a lot of rough and tumble play at that beginning moment.

The first jammer to make it through is the "lead jammer".  This is important b/c the lead jammer is the only person able to call off the play.  A ref will be skating right next to this jammer inside the track with their hand up in the air to mark the player.  The other jammer will have a ref skating next to them, doing a lowered hand movement from side to side that'll look like the Charleston dance, to mark them.

Then the real fun starts.  Jammers score points by passing the other team's pack.  That's where the skating really comes in.  The other pack is trying to stop them by building walls or knocking them off the track.  Strategy will start to happen because the lead jammer keeps an eye on the other jammer, b/c lead wants to score as many points as possible, while keeping the other team down.

There's some other things that will start to matter, but this is the basic overview I usually give to people in the audience so that they can at least enjoy cheering.

One of my favorites plays one time was when K's team was playing a team that was much better than them.  The lead jammer was kind of being a showoff and actually knocking out the other jammer, so that she could keep scoring.  K avoided her hit, then knocked her out of bounds.  It was beautiful.  Lead jammer called off the jam, then bowed to K and applauded them, while the rest of the crowd cheered.

I've asked K to send me a good intro video too, so I'll link it to you when they do.

Honestly, I got to a point in my pregnancy where WATER - FREAKING NORMAL WATER - gave me heartburn. There used to be an old wives' tale - but it has since been scientifically proven by a study done at Johns Hopkins - that there is a direct correlation between a mother's heartburn and the baby's hair. 
    LOL, My son didn't have any hair until he was almost two and I still had heartburn. 
  • @charlotte989875 This is the WFTDA intro video and it does include some of the things I left out:  https://youtu.be/OId6gTd2LCM

I've heard the heartburn vs hair theory, and I'm skeptical - only because M's mum had heartburn and M had no hair, my friend had heartburn with all 4 kids and no hair.
    It'll be interesting if she does, because I was also bald :) {i swear, I will post fatty baby photos soon! I'm waiting on one of mine} 
  • Cash flowed another property tax bill this morning, woot!  3 down, one more to go.  But that last one won't be cash flowed, I'll be taking the money out of my HELOC.  So I'm purposely waiting until the last day (Jan. 31st) to pay it.

My H's first solo plumbing gig seems to be working out well, so far.  He got all the old pipes removed and has installed some of the new ones already, but is missing a coupling (something like that).  It can't be found anywhere in the area, but he's hopeful it will come in today and he can finish the job.

((@short+sassy anticipating the final payment of $250 for his labor and pushing H out the door to pick up another plumbing job))

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Frustrating day at work today (this week, really). Hopefully the frustration will go away soon.
  • VarunaTT said:
    VarunaTT said:

This is a little long:  So, roller derby is one of the only sports where both teams are playing offense and defense at the same time.  Each team will have 5 players on the track.

Offense = Jammers.  K is a jammer and I think the most helpful thing she ever said is "I'm the ball."  Jammers have a star on their helmet cover which is called "panty".  Jammers are the only ones who can score points.

Defense = everyone else on the track, called the "pack".  There will be one other person in the pack with a panty on that has a stripe on it.  They're the "pivot" and if a jammer gets real stuck (see below), they can pass the panty and the pivot becomes the jammer.

Plays, called "jams" only last 2 minutes.

Jammers will start at a line (called the jammer line) while the rest of the "pack" gathers at the other side of the line.  The whistle blows and each jammer attacks the pack, trying to get through it.  Team A's pack will try to stop Jammer B from getting through, while helping their Jammer A to get through Team B's pack and vice versa.  I actually really like sitting at the jammer line because you'll see a lot of rough and tumble play at that beginning moment.

The first jammer to make it through is the "lead jammer".  This is important b/c the lead jammer is the only person able to call off the play.  A ref will be skating right next to this jammer inside the track with their hand up in the air to mark the player.  The other jammer will have a ref skating next to them, doing a lowered hand movement from side to side that'll look like the Charleston dance, to mark them.

Then the real fun starts.  Jammers score points by passing the other team's pack.  That's where the skating really comes in.  The other pack is trying to stop them by building walls or knocking them off the track.  Strategy will start to happen because the lead jammer keeps an eye on the other jammer, b/c lead wants to score as many points as possible, while keeping the other team down.

There's some other things that will start to matter, but this is the basic overview I usually give to people in the audience so that they can at least enjoy cheering.

One of my favorites plays one time was when K's team was playing a team that was much better than them.  The lead jammer was kind of being a showoff and actually knocking out the other jammer, so that she could keep scoring.  K avoided her hit, then knocked her out of bounds.  It was beautiful.  Lead jammer called off the jam, then bowed to K and applauded them, while the rest of the crowd cheered.

I've asked K to send me a good intro video too, so I'll link it to you when they do.
    This is fantastic, thank you!! 

I just watched the video, too. Damn, some of those falls look like they hurt!
  • Babybelle was a holy terror this morning. He woke up fine and then we said "no" to watching Itsy Bitsy Spider on YouTube. Queue epic tantrum. Like the worst he's ever had. For an hour and a half. It sucked. 

For those of you with second kids, what did you do with #1 when you went into labor? We literally have one semi-local family member and he travels a lot for work. Most of our friends and neighbors work. 
    *********************************************************************************

• On second thought, this bad work situation is permanent. I HATE my boss and her "policies" are making it impossible for me to do my job AND to interview for other jobs.
  • Jen4948 said:
    On second thought, this bad work situation is permanent. I HATE my boss and her "policies" are making it impossible for me to do my job AND to interview for other jobs.

I'm trying to remember, was this job temporary just for tax season?  Or is it more permanent and you were planning to keep looking for something better?

If it is supposed to be temporary anyway (per their view), I'd have a convo akin to "As you know, this is only a temporary position.  I do occasionally need time to interview for permanent positions.  Though I will always do my best to schedule these with as little impact to my schedule, as possible."  If possible with office hours, offering to trade in working longer/earlier on days that are affected.

Of course, that involves speaking to a reasonable person (sigh).  I'm sorry this new job has turned out to be so miserable.  It's amazing how one "wrong" person...especially if they are the boss...can poison the work environment.  I hope you find a great, permanent job soon.  I know you've been waiting a long time and it has been frustrating.

While I'm thinking about bad job issues, sending out positive vibes and prayers to @charlotte989875 and @levioosa.  I've been following along and hoping things will improve for both of you.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • School today. Other than that, SSDD.  No word on my clinical site yet. Thanks for the vibes, @short+sassy Tomorrow I have to call HR again and see if my boss turned in her paperwork for me to switch my status over. It's literally one form and it's been two months. It's ridiculous. I hope they like call offs, because starting next week I'm going to be calling off twice a week and they'll have no one to blame but themselves. 

• Thanks @short+sassy; it's weird, there are so many people dedicated to the mission here, but the path to get there is so effed up. Like day to day we forget the values of the organization. There's also a crap ton of incompetence and people doing jobs they're not even close to qualified for. And zero supervision. 

But there's a commitment to change (which is why I was brought in), so that's good I guess?
  • I may have discovered the culprit of making indigestion worse.

Lasagna.

*sigh* We had some last night, but I already had indigestion so thought nothing of it. I had leftovers today. Two bites, and it was like pits of hell in my stomach. Damn :(
  • Not be a one-upper, but I thought it was Friday.  This is me on the inside:

I'm so freaking tired and hubs and I fought last night, which just makes today craptastic.  We're going to get a handle on this new campaign life, and sooner than later (in the grand scheme of things) he'll have staff and we won't be us doing all the work.  But yesterday he forgot to ask about my moms doctor appointment, and then micro-managed the FB post he asked me to do.  Umm, no, you don't get to be a crappy husband by day and a crappy, non-paying boss by night.  Needless to say, he's recruiting a social media manager intern.

My BFF is moving into her new house today too, and I'm so excited to finally see it in person!!  

• @Jen4948 I'm sorry the job is so sucky.  That's never a good place to be.

@Southernbelle0915 I had scheduled C-sections so I didn't have to worry much about that immediate need in the middle of the night.  I do know some people asked their daycare people if they could be back ups just in case.  Do you have any other sitters or friends?  I've been a back up to lots of friends. It's also good to just have someone in case one kid breaks an arm, or has a seizure in the middle of the night, or a parent thinks they are having a heart attack.  All real times I've watched friends kids in the past 6 months.

Mammogram check, 4 grocery stores check, lunch check.  It's been a productive morning, but there's also so much to do.