Wedding Woes

Wednesday

Re: Wednesday

• Thanks @short+sassy; it's weird, there are so many people dedicated to the mission here, but the path to get there is so effed up. Like day to day we forget the values of the organization. There's also a crap ton of incompetence and people doing jobs they're not even close to qualified for. And zero supervision. 

But there's a commitment to change (which is why I was brought in), so that's good I guess?

As a general rule, there are always bumps in the road during times of change.  And people don't like change, even while they're saying "changes need to be made".  Especially if some of those people **cough, cough** shouldn't have the jobs they have.

Hopefully, this will be the period of bad potholes while the road is being smoothed over and made better for the future.

I can't say if this is the case where you work, but I think "working for a cause" can sometimes get in the way for people.  It's not enough to just feel gung-ho.  I'll use "ending world hunger" as an example.  Ending world hunger won't happen because people are passionate about and dedicated to it.  95+ percent of reaching this goal (or any other) is being skillful at all the boring, background stuff.

The admin. dept. proofreading donation letters and knowing how to do a mail merge, with an up-to-date list.  The marketing dept. targeting ads to the best "bang for the buck" platforms.  The managers setting budgets to allocate resources effectively and holding their teams accountable.  Just to give a few examples. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not be a one-upper, but I thought it was Friday.  This is me on the inside:

I'm so freaking tired and hubs and I fought last night, which just makes today craptastic.  We're going to get a handle on this new campaign life, and sooner than later (in the grand scheme of things) he'll have staff and we won't be us doing all the work.  But yesterday he forgot to ask about my moms doctor appointment, and then micro-managed the FB post he asked me to do.  Umm, no, you don't get to be a crappy husband by day and a crappy, non-paying boss by night.  Needless to say, he's recruiting a social media manager intern.

My BFF is moving into her new house today too, and I'm so excited to finally see it in person!!  

It is wine Wednesday...
  • Work is still busy.  And for the first time in my life, I gave blood today!

Wishing better job vibes for Jen and Charlotte.  And a staff for #MattintheMitten

I knew it was Wednesday today, I just wish it was Friday!

• Thanks everyone. It's a "permanent" position, but I am job-hunting as aggressively and discreetly as I can.

Assuming it's true that "it's easier to find a job when you already have one," I'm finding that this is not the case in terms of logistics. Since the boss is intensely strict on attendance times (everyone has to scan their finger tips when they arrive and leave and take lunch at specific times with no wriggle room), I can only interview during my lunch and at the beginning and end of the day, which no interviewer is willing to do. I told this to one who wanted to interview me for a job that otherwise sounded fantastic where she asked me if I could interview the following day at 11 am or 1, 2, 3 or 4 pm (it was a weekday) and then asked if I could take a day off from work when I told her those times don't work for me. When I told her what times I could interview, she told me she'd "circle around and get back to me." Yup. Never heard from her again.
  • Shout out to @OliveOilsMom for giving blood!  Especially being a "newbie" to it.  I've heard blood banks are often the lowest in Dec./Jan., because donations drop way off during the holidays.

@Jen4948, Ah!  While I normally don't recommend lying to one's boss, I'd fall back on a "doctor's appointment" or other daytime excuse he/she will buy when a good interview opportunity presents itself.  I hear ya, though.  Most of my jobs have had a lot of flexibility, including my current one, where I can even send a short notice e-mail with the time I'll be out and take vacation time "by the hour", if need be.  It is such a relief for when "life" sometimes happens, lol.  But I've also had a job where I'd practically need to be in the hospital to even dare call off.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @OliveOilsMom whoo! Blood donation :) Are you a universal donor? Just nosey. M is a universal donor {I joke that's why I keep him around ;) } and donates pretty much all the time because they're always low on it
  • @Jen4948 I've been there. Trying to book interviews while working. Like @short+sassy  said, dr's appt is easiest excuse. At least you could get out a bit early or arrive to work a bit late with a reasoning.
  • @OliveOilsMom whoo! Blood donation :) Are you a universal donor? Just nosey. M is a universal donor {I joke that's why I keep him around ;) } and donates pretty much all the time because they're always low on it

My H is also a universal donor.  I, on the other hand, have the second rarest type (B-).  My worksite has a blood donation drive 2x/year.  I always participate and love the convenience.  I also try to go, and drag my H along, one extra time per year.  But, alas, their hours and locations make that difficult :(.

I've shared this before.  At one point I was curious how "rare" my blood type is and looked up the stats.  Only 1.5% of the population has B-.  But what I found even more startling is that there are very few Caucasians with that blood type (less than 5% of the B- population).  With my rough calculations, I figured out that...while I'm not quite "one in a million" ;), lol...I am about 1 in 750K.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  GOOD LORD!! That's crazy rare! I hope you don't have any health issues, cuz my granny has weird blood {not even a type. Idk it's weird} so she has a blood doctor.
    I vote you still say "1 in a million" though ;)

I have zero idea what my blood type is. I should probably find out lmao

Good thing your H is a universal donor at least ;)
  • @short+sassy  GOOD LORD!! That's crazy rare! I hope you don't have any health issues, cuz my granny has weird blood {not even a type. Idk it's weird} so she has a blood doctor.

Didn’t they type you in high school? Don’t they do that anymore? FI gives blood because I can’t. I always encourage him when I see a donation drive. 

Didn’t they type you in high school? Don’t they do that anymore? FI gives blood because I can’t. I always encourage him when I see a donation drive. 
    Must have because I've never heard of it. We had blood drives, but I never went because I'm also a pansy with needles.

NOPE, no more in HS.
    Bloodborne pathogen protocols make it a PITA and the whole 'yeah, well, you can't be the biological child of your parents' thing is way to big of a risk.
    I wouldn't do it w/ a class anymore.

Unfortunately, kidney failure can be a complication for Type I diabetes, so I very much cross my fingers that I never come to that bridge.  Kidney function is something that gets checked 3x/year with my endocrinologist and so far, so good.

Your OB probably already knows your blood type, if you ask, because it is especially important to know for pregnant women.  The majority of people, and this includes fetuses, have an Rh factor in their blood, ie a positive blood type.  But if a pregnant woman doesn't, ie has a negative blood type, they'll need to get a special shot to possibly protect themselves and to protect potential future babies.  Here's a handy article I found about the Rh Factor and how it can affect pregnancy:

https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/The-Rh-Factor-How-It-Can-Affect-Your-Pregnancy

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's now moot about lying to take time off, as I lost my job.
  • Jen4948 said:
    It's now moot about lying to take time off, as I lost my job.
    Man I"m sorry.
    Unemployment while you're looking at least?  
  • Damn @Jen4948. I'm sorry
  • GBCK said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Man I"m sorry.
    Unemployment while you're looking at least?  
    Thanks. Maybe. I have to be unemployed at least a week before they'll pay me, and they'll always skip the first week. Hopefully I won't need it.
  • Jen - That stinks.  I would call back the other job offer and tell them that you are able to interview with them immediately.  Doesn't hurt!

As for blood types, I don't know!  I think it said it in my hospital paperwork from when DD was born, but it just didn't stick in my brain!  I guess I will find out when I get my donor card in the mail.
  • I don't know if it's still available. But at least I can interview for other jobs. Problem is, I didn't see too much looking online just now.
  • VarunaTT said:
    I had the hardest time waking up this morning. I just kept hitting the snooze! It was 40 degrees yesterday, and now it's 20 degrees and super icy. I know it's Buffalo, and I know it's only January, but I'm over this already. 

I also wish it was Thursday already and want a nap @mrsconn23

But we're going to see roller derby on Friday, so that's something to look forward to!
    If you have any questions, let me know.  I've become a marginally good explainer of roller derby since K plays.  I even yell at refs now!  :D  

I have the first Pride meeting tonight and a loooooooong list of things to go over.  It's my last meeting to run and then I hand it over to my new Co-Chair to start his training.

This week is just blah.  I think I'm having to admit that I'm at a new normal and it's a different headspace than I expect it to be because I'm trying to break so many ingrained habits.  IDK.  I might also just need a long damn vacation again.
    Any tips for first time spectators welcome! H works with two women who play so a few colleagues from his office are all going. We know nothing, but it looks like fun!
    Hope it is fun!
  • Damn @Jen4948 that stinks. 
  • Damn @Jen4948 that stinks. 
    It stinks to lose my income, but the job really sucked from day one, so I'm not sorry to be working there anymore. This is my chance to look for something better. Hopefully something better exists.
  • Thanks @short+sassy; it's weird, there are so many people dedicated to the mission here, but the path to get there is so effed up. Like day to day we forget the values of the organization. There's also a crap ton of incompetence and people doing jobs they're not even close to qualified for. And zero supervision. 

But there's a commitment to change (which is why I was brought in), so that's good I guess?

As a general rule, there are always bumps in the road during times of change.  And people don't like change, even while they're saying "changes need to be made".  Especially if some of those people **cough, cough** shouldn't have the jobs they have.

Hopefully, this will be the period of bad potholes while the road is being smoothed over and made better for the future.

I can't say if this is the case where you work, but I think "working for a cause" can sometimes get in the way for people.  It's not enough to just feel gung-ho.  I'll use "ending world hunger" as an example.  Ending world hunger won't happen because people are passionate about and dedicated to it.  95+ percent of reaching this goal (or any other) is being skillful at all the boring, background stuff.

The admin. dept. proofreading donation letters and knowing how to do a mail merge, with an up-to-date list.  The marketing dept. targeting ads to the best "bang for the buck" platforms.  The managers setting budgets to allocate resources effectively and holding their teams accountable.  Just to give a few examples. 

Yeah I think there’s some of that. It’s also a nonprofit so the pay isn’t great and there is a lot of work to go around. But sometimes (and this is probably going to sound terrible) some people just aren’t cut out for the roles they are in, not matter how much they care about what they are doing. 

There’s also a ton of inefficiency which drives me bananas. 
  • Ugh, @Jen4948 that really sucks. I'm sorry. Seeing you good vibes for a great new job opportunity!!!
  • Ugh, @Jen4948 that really sucks. I'm sorry. Seeing you good vibes for a great new job opportunity!!!
    Thanks!
    Thanks @sparklepants41!
  • Jen4948 said:
    Damn @Jen4948 that stinks. 
    It stinks to lose my income, but the job really sucked from day one, so I'm not sorry to be working there anymore. This is my chance to look for something better. Hopefully something better exists.
    I’m hoping something better is out there for you! Sounds like you’ve been through way too many bad jobs. 
  • That sucks @jen4948 even if you weren't happy there still sucks to lose the income

@MissKittyDanger I didn't find out my blood type until I was doing prenatal stuff and I think I asked since I didn't know. I'm sure it was in some old medical records from when I was a kid.  Mine is A+ so I figured that means it is super awesome lol
  • Sorry to hear that, @Jen4948. It sounds like you'll be happier basically anywhere else, so hopefully it's a blessing in disguise.

Re. blood donation, I'm A negative, so the Red Cross is calling me constantly. Except when I'm pregnant or in a waiting period due to travel, I've been a regular, every 60 day (mostly) since high school. I figure it's a "pay it forward" kind of thing. I finally discovered double red donation, which means they just take twice the blood in one sitting and you don't have to donate as often. Highly recommend it for those who want to be regular donors but don't have as much time.
    *********************************************************************************

• Jen4948 said:

Ugh, geez!  I'll cross my fingers for you that the other position is still looking and you can at least get an interview with them.

You've had enough bad luck with jobs in the last year, I hope things finally turn around for you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker