Wedding Woes

Yes, go with her. It's called parenting.

Dear Prudence,

My 17-year-old daughter has befriended an 18-year-old boy (a friend of a friend of hers) online. They have talked on FaceTime, and her friend has confirmed who he is, so I’m not worried that he’s misrepresenting himself. However, he lives two hours away, and my daughter wants to meet him for a date somewhere in the middle. I am anxious about this idea. I do not know this young man, and I’m very skeptical of the online friendship that teens seem to acquire so easily. Should I go with her? Should she take a friend? I don’t want her driving off alone to meet someone I’ve never met.

—Worried Mom

Re: Yes, go with her. It's called parenting.

• Honestly, if it were my kid I would offer to go or suggest a friend go. At least someone for back-up in case. The mutual friend might be the best idea, since they verified the person.

I've been 'guard' for friends meeting a guy before and they still met at a public area.
  • Considering my judgement when it came to men at the age of 17 **cough, into my early 20s, cough**, I definitely think one of the rules for meeting this gent is mom will drive up with daughter.  Meet him and have his contact info.  And then make her escape...but available somewhere nearby.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really dislike this line "I’m very skeptical of the online friendship that teens seem to acquire so easily". I'm a grown-ass adult and I have an incredibly tight-knit group of online friends, some I've eventually met in person, and some I haven't and probably never will (seeing as one is in Australia). I can't wait for this mindset to die out. Online friendships and relationships can be and are just as legitimate as relationships that begin in person.
    Bolded. Right!? Online many teens don't feel judged. They can enjoy things, be who they want/are without fear of judgement. High school people are judgey.
  • Considering my judgement when it came to men at the age of 17 **cough, into my early 20s, cough**, I definitely think one of the rules for meeting this gent is mom will drive up with daughter.  Meet him and have his contact info.  And then make her escape...but available somewhere nearby.
    Remembering my teen years would be the reason I'd go as a bit of a shadow. I mean, I used to train hop to other provinces at 17 and 18 so I'm really not a good example. Also, in Ontario, no 17 yo would be allowed to drive on a highway by themselves anyway (yay graduated licensing).